Budweiser Budvar - Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

good

Budějovický Budvar, n.p. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: grdahl on 06-22-2001

Exported to the US as Czechvar.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Budvar Alström Bros
Reviews: 759 | Hads: 1,346
3.22/5  rDev -11.5%

Light pale color but still a nose Pilsener, however noted by the lime but also very pleasant mild mile. The palate does not disappoint and offers several flavors, and a presence and a creamy finish slightly malty mid-way between the bitter and the sweet and spicy lemon zest which are present.

Very easy to drink wit a nice aftertaste

Freshness date on bottle

Bottle serving (377 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -49.7%

A: 12 oz bottle, light honey color, medium amount of head, gone quickly

S: not a very pleasing aroma, almoxt skunkish

T/M: average carbonation, with a light body, taste not much better than the smell.

D: i was surprised that this may be a bud product as it was not very good in any aspect (291 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.1%

Been wanting to try this for ages...the "real" Budweiser, or so they say.

Pours a rich gold with a minimal head which quickly recedes, leaving only a hint of lace and the barest touches of foam around the rim of the glass. Richer color than American macros. Nose is very eurolager, with a prominent cereal malt quality and complex bready yeast, with just a touch of hop aroma. Nicely balanced, pleasant, and not in any way offensive or over the top.

Flavor is excellent. Surprising amount of hop bitterness on the tongue, but not too much, perfectly balanced out by a lightly sweet malt character. The flavor is so subtle and delicate that the yeasty breadiness of the brew becomes prominent, leaving an extremely satisfying aftertaste. None of the grassy straw flavor apparent in the American macro-imitations.

Also unlike the American macro-imitations, this beer has a nice thick, chewy texture. The carbonation is a bit thin and fizzy, which normally I might not really like, but the beer itself has substance and the bubbly over-carbonation actually works quite well in context. It's almost like, "Oh, so *this* is what Adolphus Busch was trying to do."

Perfect beer for sessioning after a 12-hour workday and just relaxing, which is precisely what I'm going to do right now. (1,294 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I have to admit that this beer was my overall favorite for a while, during a stint in Romania. Of course, there isn't much to hope for in Romania for beer lovers, and this commanded a high price in that strange, squirrelly market. But nonetheless, it reminded me of what quality was on a few occasions.

Tonight's sampling:

A - Nice carbonation, foam dies off quickly, no residue, clean yellow color.

S - Malty sweetness, pronounced but not overbearing scent of hops.

T - Exceptional balance between malt and hops. Hops linger longer, but are not abusive. After several sips, a metallic taste appears, but then goes away a few sips later. Hmm ...

M - Decent.

D - Good.

One of the problems I have had with this beer (overall) is the wildly differing quality of the samples I have had. When I've had good bottles it's some of the best beer I've ever tasted. Other times, it tastes like it's been sitting around in the basement of some nuclear waste facility for a few years before it makes it to the shelf.

Is this a production or distribution problem?

Hard to figure that, but I would rather this beer be more consistant, and certainly on the good end. (1,159 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured it into a tumbler glass.

appearance- golden straw color with a 2 finger white head. Carbonation streaming up the class.

smell- I get LOTS of skunk smell mixed in with like a perfume smell.

Taste- Some skunkyness at first but in the middle you get a nice bready note with the back end having a nice bitter finish. Definitely tell its a Pilsner rather that a adjunct lager. Its leaving my mouth a bit dry also.

mouthfeel- Its a light mouth feel but definitely thicker then the macro brews like coors and bud.

overall this is an OK beer. If you want a lawnmower beer but with a bit more taste and complexity i would much rather drink this then a coors or bud or any other macro beer for that matter. Not the best pilsner but not a bad one either. (755 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +0.5%

Served on tap in Prague, served a typical yellow colour with a beautiful orange hue and a good head with sticky lace.
The smell is there not bad nor great.
It is very refreshing and has a nice taste for the style, which makes the mouthfeel awesome.
I am sad, so sad that the times I've had it on the bottle the beer was skunked, it did not taste the same way than in Prague, that's why overall this beer does not deserve a 4.0. (429 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +7.4%

I finally found Czechvar and was so excited to get it home and try it.

A- Poured into a Pilsner glass with a medium head that dissipates quickly. Crystal Clear with a large amount of tiny bubbles rising to the surface. Deep straw-like in color.

S- Rich malt character. It reminds me of the smell when the pilsner grist hits the water at dough-in. Some light Saaz notes dance in the background.

T- Very light and malty. Slight bit of roasty overtones, and some spicy and citrus undertones on the finish. It also has that typical Czech Pilsner after taste; almost perfume-like.

M- The soft water profile really shines. THis beer is super smooth on the palate and your whole mouth is envelopes with malt richness, like silk. Even though it sounds heavy it remains light and crisp.

D- Very drinkable as I sip on one right now. It hits the spot after a long day at work. Might I dare say, better than an Urquell

And to think I'm not a chronic lager drinker? (971 characters)

I don't have any notes from when I tried this beer but I do remember it being a good example of a pilsesner. I can recommend for anyone who enjoys them. (152 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Golden, clear, macro-lager

S: Exceeded expectations. Clean malt aroma with more hops than you'd expect from a czech pilsner.

T: Balanced and light. Nice malt base, good character but little hops on the finish.

M: Medium body, sits on the tongue nicely. Finishes kind of quick.

O: Solid, refreshing and down the middle. (326 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a nice yellow color. It didn't have much head but what was there was lacey with little retention.

This pilsner has a grainy and slightly sweet aroma.

It has a crisp and light grainy taste. This beer has a slight hoppiness for a lager.

Has decent carbonation and a little dry finish.

Chechvar has a decent drinkability. I prefer Pilsner Urquell to this but it's still a tasty lager. (391 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +0.5%

The first thing I noticed was the slightly skunky smell when I popped the cap but, once I got past that things were fine. Poured nicely with a white foamy head but, it didn't last long. Over-all taste and feel is OK but it's not something I'm going out of my way to look for. (275 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +12.6%

This bottle is marked "Budweiser" and comes from a friend of mine's wife who works at the UN. At $14 a case of 24, quite a good deal for them! Clean, crisp taste. Very carbonated, but a lot better than American Bud. Good white head, sort of yellow in color. Decent hoppy flavor, but lots of malt flavors as well. The more I drink of these, the more I like them. (361 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +24.2%

Well... the real name id the beer is Budweiser Budvar.
Colour is golden yellow, beer has a thick head and rich beer aroma with an active hint of hops. Taste is very "noble", malty, slightly sweet with weak hops bitterness; body is strong.
BB is just a "perfect" beer. (269 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle of czechvar best before 10.17.09

A: Clear golden yellow with a very white one finger head that quickly disappeared to nothing. It does not look like a quality brew.

S: small amount of floral hoppy dryness. not much to the smell

T: This beer is very well balanced with the hoppy bitterness nicely balanced with a rich malt character. It seams that throughout the entire experience of drinking this beer you can pick out either one. This best balanced beer I've tasted. seems to have a sharper hop tone than most lagers. You can really taste that good quality euro bready malt especially toward the finish

Overall: Despite its unremarkable appearance this is a very good lager with a surprising amount of complexity and very good balance of flavors (780 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -11.8%

A Poured a golden color with a light white head that dissipated quickly
S Smells slightly sweet and a little hops
T Sweet, hops, similar to a pilsner
M Not much, some carbonation, thin, hops have some bite in the finish
D Goes down smooth, a light beer, would be a good summer drink. I've had similar beers that didn't cost as much. Not bad, just another attempt by BW to make another dollar. (392 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +25.8%

Review of the domestic Czech version

From notes, 8/22/2010

Got a pint from a tap in a sausage vendor's lunch stall downtown in Prague.

Appearance: Brilliant;y clear bright yellow/gold. Fluffly head that left lace all the way down. Which didn't take long...

Smell: Very faint malty smell, just a hint of saaz.

Taste: Light malt sweetness is balanced early by a citrusy saaz flavor. Delicate bitterness really balances the malt in just the right way.

Mouthfeel: Just the right amount of carbonation to help the citrusy notes burst through the malt and give the brew an overall creamy texture.

Overall: How in the hell can A.B. say they have the same recipe? This lager is crisp, flavorful, and drinkable. A perfect companion for my sausage and sauerkraut lunch on a mild Czech summer day. This will probably be the brew by which I will judge all other pilsners. (867 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -26.9%

I went to the store to buy some Konig only to discover they were out of stock. I paid $7.99 for a six pack of Czechvar with a sell by date of 10-10-12. I'm always nervous about beer in green bottles but I figured this was fresh and something new to taste. The beer pours with a clear golden color and about 1 finger of head that quickly settles. I think this beer has already suffered from light exposure as it has a mild case of the skunks going. I imagine it smells and taste much better from a tap than a bottle. The taste and mouthfeel are decent for the style but the aftertaste is bitter and smelly. I won't buy it again. (627 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

I can say with absolute certainty that this is the best Budweiser I have ever had.

Lolz.

With that said:

A - Didn't bother to pour this guy into a glass. Looks like a typical Czech pilsner. Is a typical Czech pilsner.

S - Smells slightly malty. Minimal aroma, though, since I didn't pour it into a glass.

T - Tastes just like Pilsner Urquel. Maybe I got lucky, but this definitely wasn't skunked like had been the worry of some other reviewers. Easy to drink. Malty, thin, refreshing, light.

M - Mmm. Fizzy. Feels like you're drinking seltzer water (and that's a good thing!).

O - Just what I expected, though I had hoped it would be some super awesome beer that I could joke about back home (I'm studying in Paris right now) when confronted with some "Bud." But instead, it's just a different style of mass-produced crud (albeit one that I enjoy more than the mass-produced crud that they make in the states). Congrats Czech Republic. Your Budweiser is better than ours. But then again, that's sorta like saying you have less of a history of racism or lower obesity rates than we do.

**Poured second half into a glass. Brought out some more of the malty, pilsner aroma, but made the beer razor-thin and completely dissipated its carbonation. I'd say stick to this one out of the bottle.

In finishing, I'll say that I really did enjoy this beer, but not because I thought it was interesting or made me grow as a beer drinker, rather that I'm a sucker for seltzer water, so the light, refreshingness of this guy, mixed with its bubblyness, contented me. (1,561 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -14.8%

In a balanced pils like this all I can add is the up the average bitterness. I think they used a different hop from Pilsner Urquell,but I'd prefer if they hadn't .

Gold colour,need to rise the bottle when pouring beer to obtain a creamy foam.Nice bubbles in the middle of glass .

Smell is grassy.

Mouth can feel the typical bitterness of this style,and this starting from the first sip. The carbonation is ideal,one of the best results in my opinion. (453 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -5.2%

Serving: 500mL bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Poured golden yellow (though darken than expected) with visible carbonation and surprisingly voluminous head that dissipated quickly. Minimal to no lacing.

Smell: Not much in the aroma. Minimal hop notes and grainy smell. Hints of the alcohol underneath.

Taste: sweat grain giving way to a mildly astringent alcohol taste that didn't linger. Hops were present, but difficult to discern. Not overly bitter, and no lingering taste except hints of alternating grain and alcohol.

Mouthfeel: This is where I was most surprised. It was crisp, but not overly carbonated and didn't have near as dry a finish as I would expect. Actually quite the opposite; it was neither thin nor light, even though it appeared quite carbonated.

Drinkability: Quite a tasty beer and defied my expectations of it, based on similar beers in the style. I don't know that I would be drinking it all night long, but it sure beats the mass-produced American lager that misappropriated its namesake. (1,033 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +14.3%

An excellent version of a Czech pils. Why is this beer able to travel so well overseas but Urquell isn't? I wish I had an answer.

This beer is endlessly drinkable. Slight herbal notes, faint citrus as well, and, more importantly, completely satisfying when you are just looking for a beer to quaff without having to think too hard.

Not too light. Not too heavy. Crisp but with a subtle fullness that lends to the perfectly balanced mouthfeel.

If I could find it all the time, I would have this in my refrigerator 24/7. A delicious, delicious beer. (550 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Apperance - Poured a light golden color with a very small head that seemed to vanish rather quickly. My second bottle had about an inch thick head that stayed a little longer that left only minimal lacing on the side of the glass.

Smell - A hint fo malty sweetness with some floral scents. Also has a few very small hop notes to it.

Taste - Very very smooth malty sweet taste. Nothing to overpowering but very well done taste.

Mouthfeel - A very light feeling beer, very crisp, with a little carbonation. Very refreshing taste.

Drinkability - Very very easy to drink. One you could easily drink after a day out in the yard doing yardwork in the heat.

Comments - I have also had this in Germany while stationed there a few years ago while in the military and was very happy to see it finally come stateside albeit with a new name. Same great taste, same easy to drink beer that I remember. One not to be missed if you get the chance to try it. (957 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Poured out of a green czechvar bottle into a beer mug. Appearance is a clear medium gold with light fluffy two fingered head that fades quickly and leaves minimal lacing. a few lazy carbonation bubbles continue to drift upward.

The smell is of sweet bready malts with grassy notes and a hint of fruity hops. Taste is well balanced - the sweet bready malts are slightly dominant at first but this beer has a crisp hop finish.

This beer has a velvety soft and smooth mouthfeel and is eminently drinkable with a refined taste you expect from a good lager. Very enjoyable. (570 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +11.5%

I first tasted this beer at a beer tasting festival in State College, PA and was impressed. So I waited a little while and picked up a couple of bottles to further check it out. I am still impressed with this style. It pours golden with a nice thick head. My palate is still unrefined but I like the taste and feel of this beer. I will put this brew on my "to buy often": list. (377 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -12.6%

Fairly skunky presence at first, of course I should attribute that to the bottle date of 9-03 on it. A bit of a cidery twang and a high diactely taste. It was great to finally find this but I attribute most of the faults with the age and probable improper storage methods before I found it. Looking forward to finding a better vintage to give this a better shot. (362 characters)

Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.