Budweiser Budvar - Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

good

Budějovický Budvar, n.p. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: grdahl on 06-22-2001

Exported to the US as Czechvar.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Budvar Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,339 | Reviews: 768
3.11/5  rDev -13.6%

First off, much better than the "king of beers" - its no contest. Nice looking beer poured from a bottle into a glass. Quick foam that disappears rather quickly, but leaves a nice lace. Smell is crisp. Taste has a hint of hops sweetness. Feels much better than average in the mouth and goes down nice and easy. Overall a disappointment - this is I feel this beer is over-hyped. Would gladly have again if given the chance. Fact is there a many better beers offered from the region.

3.46/5  rDev -3.9%

This beer is everything I wish American pilsners were. Highly refreshing and drinkable, and yet not boring or watered down.

The nose is complex and light. Slight citrus, spice, and DMS of cooked corn all are notable, all backed up by a harmony of floral hop and malt If only it were stronger! The color is a crystal clear brilliant gold with an impressive fluffy head that leaves spottly lace on the glass.

The flavor has a light hop hit at the front with a gentle butter diacetyl. The hop taste fades, walking a gentle balance with the malt. The slick and effervescent mouthfeel makes the beer go down quite smoothly.

3.39/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Clear, pale straw colour with a bubbly, fast-receding head. Aroma of honey and strongly of fresh hops. Balanced flavour. Begins malty and sweet, fairly lowly carbonated for a pilsner, finishes with a soft bitterness. Slight metallic and honey notes, touch of caramel. Very clean and dry finish. Light body .

One of my favorites from the Czech Republic. Almost all Czech beers are fair superior to what we call beer in the U.S.

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

The appearance is of a very golden liquid with little to no head.

The smell was very skunky, almost as if I got sprayed in the face by a skunk. Never had a beer this skunky before. I grabbed this from the back of the bottles but I guess the light took its toll. Some hints of lemon, malt and a slight smell of hops.

Taste is very crisp and refreshing. Some skunkiness as well as some slight bitter notes. Malt can be tasted.

Very nice and drinkable. I wish the american Bud was this good!

3.22/5  rDev -10.6%

Light pale color but still a nose Pilsener, however noted by the lime but also very pleasant mild mile. The palate does not disappoint and offers several flavors, and a presence and a creamy finish slightly malty mid-way between the bitter and the sweet and spicy lemon zest which are present.

Very easy to drink wit a nice aftertaste

Freshness date on bottle

Bottle serving

1.83/5  rDev -49.2%

A: 12 oz bottle, light honey color, medium amount of head, gone quickly

S: not a very pleasing aroma, almoxt skunkish

T/M: average carbonation, with a light body, taste not much better than the smell.

D: i was surprised that this may be a bud product as it was not very good in any aspect

4.3/5  rDev +19.4%

This is the original Budweiser, brewed in the origination that all Pilsner's come from.

4.3/5  rDev +19.4%

Been wanting to try this for ages...the "real" Budweiser, or so they say.

Pours a rich gold with a minimal head which quickly recedes, leaving only a hint of lace and the barest touches of foam around the rim of the glass. Richer color than American macros. Nose is very eurolager, with a prominent cereal malt quality and complex bready yeast, with just a touch of hop aroma. Nicely balanced, pleasant, and not in any way offensive or over the top.

Flavor is excellent. Surprising amount of hop bitterness on the tongue, but not too much, perfectly balanced out by a lightly sweet malt character. The flavor is so subtle and delicate that the yeasty breadiness of the brew becomes prominent, leaving an extremely satisfying aftertaste. None of the grassy straw flavor apparent in the American macro-imitations.

Also unlike the American macro-imitations, this beer has a nice thick, chewy texture. The carbonation is a bit thin and fizzy, which normally I might not really like, but the beer itself has substance and the bubbly over-carbonation actually works quite well in context. It's almost like, "Oh, so *this* is what Adolphus Busch was trying to do."

Perfect beer for sessioning after a 12-hour workday and just relaxing, which is precisely what I'm going to do right now.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I have to admit that this beer was my overall favorite for a while, during a stint in Romania. Of course, there isn't much to hope for in Romania for beer lovers, and this commanded a high price in that strange, squirrelly market. But nonetheless, it reminded me of what quality was on a few occasions.

Tonight's sampling:

A - Nice carbonation, foam dies off quickly, no residue, clean yellow color.

S - Malty sweetness, pronounced but not overbearing scent of hops.

T - Exceptional balance between malt and hops. Hops linger longer, but are not abusive. After several sips, a metallic taste appears, but then goes away a few sips later. Hmm ...

M - Decent.

D - Good.

One of the problems I have had with this beer (overall) is the wildly differing quality of the samples I have had. When I've had good bottles it's some of the best beer I've ever tasted. Other times, it tastes like it's been sitting around in the basement of some nuclear waste facility for a few years before it makes it to the shelf.

Is this a production or distribution problem?

Hard to figure that, but I would rather this beer be more consistant, and certainly on the good end.

3.41/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured it into a tumbler glass.

appearance- golden straw color with a 2 finger white head. Carbonation streaming up the class.

smell- I get LOTS of skunk smell mixed in with like a perfume smell.

Taste- Some skunkyness at first but in the middle you get a nice bready note with the back end having a nice bitter finish. Definitely tell its a Pilsner rather that a adjunct lager. Its leaving my mouth a bit dry also.

mouthfeel- Its a light mouth feel but definitely thicker then the macro brews like coors and bud.

overall this is an OK beer. If you want a lawnmower beer but with a bit more taste and complexity i would much rather drink this then a coors or bud or any other macro beer for that matter. Not the best pilsner but not a bad one either.

3.66/5  rDev +1.7%

Served on tap in Prague, served a typical yellow colour with a beautiful orange hue and a good head with sticky lace.
The smell is there not bad nor great.
It is very refreshing and has a nice taste for the style, which makes the mouthfeel awesome.
I am sad, so sad that the times I've had it on the bottle the beer was skunked, it did not taste the same way than in Prague, that's why overall this beer does not deserve a 4.0.

3.91/5  rDev +8.6%

I finally found Czechvar and was so excited to get it home and try it.

A- Poured into a Pilsner glass with a medium head that dissipates quickly. Crystal Clear with a large amount of tiny bubbles rising to the surface. Deep straw-like in color.

S- Rich malt character. It reminds me of the smell when the pilsner grist hits the water at dough-in. Some light Saaz notes dance in the background.

T- Very light and malty. Slight bit of roasty overtones, and some spicy and citrus undertones on the finish. It also has that typical Czech Pilsner after taste; almost perfume-like.

M- The soft water profile really shines. THis beer is super smooth on the palate and your whole mouth is envelopes with malt richness, like silk. Even though it sounds heavy it remains light and crisp.

D- Very drinkable as I sip on one right now. It hits the spot after a long day at work. Might I dare say, better than an Urquell

And to think I'm not a chronic lager drinker?

I don't have any notes from when I tried this beer but I do remember it being a good example of a pilsesner. I can recommend for anyone who enjoys them.

3.69/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Golden, clear, macro-lager

S: Exceeded expectations. Clean malt aroma with more hops than you'd expect from a czech pilsner.

T: Balanced and light. Nice malt base, good character but little hops on the finish.

M: Medium body, sits on the tongue nicely. Finishes kind of quick.

O: Solid, refreshing and down the middle.

2.94/5  rDev -18.3%

Pours a nice yellow color. It didn't have much head but what was there was lacey with little retention.

This pilsner has a grainy and slightly sweet aroma.

It has a crisp and light grainy taste. This beer has a slight hoppiness for a lager.

Has decent carbonation and a little dry finish.

Chechvar has a decent drinkability. I prefer Pilsner Urquell to this but it's still a tasty lager.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

This bottle is marked "Budweiser" and comes from a friend of mine's wife who works at the UN. At $14 a case of 24, quite a good deal for them! Clean, crisp taste. Very carbonated, but a lot better than American Bud. Good white head, sort of yellow in color. Decent hoppy flavor, but lots of malt flavors as well. The more I drink of these, the more I like them.

4.52/5  rDev +25.6%

Well... the real name id the beer is Budweiser Budvar.
Colour is golden yellow, beer has a thick head and rich beer aroma with an active hint of hops. Taste is very "noble", malty, slightly sweet with weak hops bitterness; body is strong.
BB is just a "perfect" beer.

4.14/5  rDev +15%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle of czechvar best before 10.17.09

A: Clear golden yellow with a very white one finger head that quickly disappeared to nothing. It does not look like a quality brew.

S: small amount of floral hoppy dryness. not much to the smell

T: This beer is very well balanced with the hoppy bitterness nicely balanced with a rich malt character. It seams that throughout the entire experience of drinking this beer you can pick out either one. This best balanced beer I've tasted. seems to have a sharper hop tone than most lagers. You can really taste that good quality euro bready malt especially toward the finish

Overall: Despite its unremarkable appearance this is a very good lager with a surprising amount of complexity and very good balance of flavors

3.66/5  rDev +1.7%

The first thing I noticed was the slightly skunky smell when I popped the cap but, once I got past that things were fine. Poured nicely with a white foamy head but, it didn't last long. Over-all taste and feel is OK but it's not something I'm going out of my way to look for.

3.21/5  rDev -10.8%

A Poured a golden color with a light white head that dissipated quickly
S Smells slightly sweet and a little hops
T Sweet, hops, similar to a pilsner
M Not much, some carbonation, thin, hops have some bite in the finish
D Goes down smooth, a light beer, would be a good summer drink. I've had similar beers that didn't cost as much. Not bad, just another attempt by BW to make another dollar.

4.58/5  rDev +27.2%

Review of the domestic Czech version

From notes, 8/22/2010

Got a pint from a tap in a sausage vendor's lunch stall downtown in Prague.

Appearance: Brilliant;y clear bright yellow/gold. Fluffly head that left lace all the way down. Which didn't take long...

Smell: Very faint malty smell, just a hint of saaz.

Taste: Light malt sweetness is balanced early by a citrusy saaz flavor. Delicate bitterness really balances the malt in just the right way.

Mouthfeel: Just the right amount of carbonation to help the citrusy notes burst through the malt and give the brew an overall creamy texture.

Overall: How in the hell can A.B. say they have the same recipe? This lager is crisp, flavorful, and drinkable. A perfect companion for my sausage and sauerkraut lunch on a mild Czech summer day. This will probably be the brew by which I will judge all other pilsners.

2.66/5  rDev -26.1%

I went to the store to buy some Konig only to discover they were out of stock. I paid $7.99 for a six pack of Czechvar with a sell by date of 10-10-12. I'm always nervous about beer in green bottles but I figured this was fresh and something new to taste. The beer pours with a clear golden color and about 1 finger of head that quickly settles. I think this beer has already suffered from light exposure as it has a mild case of the skunks going. I imagine it smells and taste much better from a tap than a bottle. The taste and mouthfeel are decent for the style but the aftertaste is bitter and smelly. I won't buy it again.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

I can say with absolute certainty that this is the best Budweiser I have ever had.

Lolz.

With that said:

A - Didn't bother to pour this guy into a glass. Looks like a typical Czech pilsner. Is a typical Czech pilsner.

S - Smells slightly malty. Minimal aroma, though, since I didn't pour it into a glass.

T - Tastes just like Pilsner Urquel. Maybe I got lucky, but this definitely wasn't skunked like had been the worry of some other reviewers. Easy to drink. Malty, thin, refreshing, light.

M - Mmm. Fizzy. Feels like you're drinking seltzer water (and that's a good thing!).

O - Just what I expected, though I had hoped it would be some super awesome beer that I could joke about back home (I'm studying in Paris right now) when confronted with some "Bud." But instead, it's just a different style of mass-produced crud (albeit one that I enjoy more than the mass-produced crud that they make in the states). Congrats Czech Republic. Your Budweiser is better than ours. But then again, that's sorta like saying you have less of a history of racism or lower obesity rates than we do.

**Poured second half into a glass. Brought out some more of the malty, pilsner aroma, but made the beer razor-thin and completely dissipated its carbonation. I'd say stick to this one out of the bottle.

In finishing, I'll say that I really did enjoy this beer, but not because I thought it was interesting or made me grow as a beer drinker, rather that I'm a sucker for seltzer water, so the light, refreshingness of this guy, mixed with its bubblyness, contented me.

3.1/5  rDev -13.9%

In a balanced pils like this all I can add is the up the average bitterness. I think they used a different hop from Pilsner Urquell,but I'd prefer if they hadn't .

Gold colour,need to rise the bottle when pouring beer to obtain a creamy foam.Nice bubbles in the middle of glass .

Smell is grassy.

Mouth can feel the typical bitterness of this style,and this starting from the first sip. The carbonation is ideal,one of the best results in my opinion.

Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.