Budweiser Budvar - Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

good

good

Budějovický Budvar, n.p. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Exported to the US as Czechvar.

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Budvar Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev +8%

I've been wanting to sample this one for a long time. It turned up at the Meijer's on the way home from work, so of course I bought it. I'm drinking it at room temp. in a pilsner glass. It surprises me how well it tastes. I was expecting something a little more euro lager-ish. The hops was the first thing I noticed, but as I work on finishing my first, I'm surprised by how sweet and maltly it now tastes. Which is surprising considering that there is ZERO head retention or lacing. Sure, I'd drink it again, as long as your buying. Cheers!

flaminghomer, Sep 20, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +1.1%

APPEARANCE:
11.5 ounce bottle with expiration date of 5/7/2010. Label says Czechvar. Pours a clear gold color with a small white head. No noticeable lacing.
AROMA:
Light aroma of herbal hops and hint of lemon.
FLAVOR:
"Pilsener" like flavor. A little wheatgrass, malt, crackers, mineral and light spiciness.
MOUTHFEEL:
Medium body with lightly crisp mouthfeel. Lively carbonation.
DRINKABILITY:
Easy drinking beer but has enough flavor to make it interesting. Definitely better than Budweiser.
NOTES: BBCSD-0910-Sean, BJCP-Bohemian Pilsener

seanbhudson, Nov 22, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a green bottle into a pilsner glass.

A-Golden, yellow,straw color. After the pour, nice carbonation. Small, white head that fizzles out, however, leaving a nice white lacey ring around the edges.

S-A little skunky right after pour. After sitting for a minute or so, the smell is lightly sweet, with some light hops, and a little spicy.

T-Light and refreshing going in. The aftertaste is peppery and dry, which is perfect for a pils.

M-Doesn't linger on the palate for too long, maybe 2 minutes or less. It's a great light summer treat.

Overall- I love it, for lack of better terms. I had a pesto tomato pizza with this beer. I like this beer much better than the ubiquitous Pilsner Urquell. I recommend this beer. It is my favorite international pilsner.

Jsteez, May 05, 2012
3.76/5  rDev +4.2%

Lion088, Sep 04, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -3%

bezakjon, Dec 11, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -10%

Odri, Sep 13, 2012
3.6/5  rDev -0.3%

A - Light golden body and a "now you see it now you don't" head on pouring.

S - Slightly malty with some very light fruitiness.

T - Pretty much dominated by the malts, little in the way of hopiness.

M - Smooth and not too fizzy.

D - Rather easy to drink, good for a barbecue.

As pilsners/lagers go this is definitely superior, however this style is just not my beer of choice these days. Would definitely take this over the standard UK mass produced lagers any day.

Stephen63, May 05, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

Color: Light gold with a snow white head, head is slightly thin but lasting with some lacing.

Aroma: Bread dough, apples, pears, dandelion flowers, straw, salt and alcohol and a hint of caramel.

Taste: Starts out with soft honey malt notes then bitter then dry. After a few sips it all becomes unified. There is something in the range of citrus leaves as well. I don't really taste all the notes expressed in the aroma but it is a great drink.

Notes: This beer is fairly light in body but so well balanced that it expresses some real weight on the palate. I am not typically a light lager drinker but this is one I enjoy.

xymyl, Jan 11, 2007
2.15/5  rDev -40.4%

Before I begin, BA claims that the beer I had was an alias for this brew. I drank a Czechvar bottled beer. This beer doesn't seem to even come close to any review I have looked at on here, while seeing if this was the right beer.

This beer poured a golden yellow color with a half finger high white head. The head dissipated quickly to nothing. A couple lacy bubbles here and there. The initial smell was sweet barley and this smell vanished after about 30 seconds. The initial taste of the beer was first up front barley, however after two sips there was no taste and no smell. The brew had a light body and medium carbonation.

Well, what can I say...this was horrid and depressing. You got flavor only when you attacked the beer in its initial pour, which is great if you chugged it in that first go. Overall, disappointment but what do I expect from the big name brewer.

Mancer, Jan 09, 2011

bdoggboston, Jun 25, 2012
3.4/5  rDev -5.8%

I bought a sixer of these and brought it home. I then poured the beer into one of my Warsteiner Pils glasses. I was frightened by the initial smell and thankfully it went away. it was an unpleasant yeast smell that was sitting on top of the bottle. Thankfully the beer was not "skunked" out and it tasted like a pilsner should. The appearance was average but made up in taste.

A: A beautiful golden yellow with effervescent bubble that rise up the pilsner glass. A good head when I first poured which reduced to a paper thin head. No lacing detected.

S: Floral and grassy hop smell which is beautiful which combats a stinky yeast smell that I got when I first opened the beer. Thankfully the yeast smell goes away a minute after the pour.

T: A true pilsner with a nice crisp spicy Saaz hop bite followed by a floral/grassy taste. The malt character is grassy with a moderate sweetness.

M: Airy and an a little drying. It will make you burpy however but it a light bodied beer that is thin and true to style.

D: This can be enjoyed in all seasons as it provides a thirst quenching aspect to it.

bigrzman, Jul 23, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +35.2%

Sight - golden with a white head

Smell - not much going one, some grass and citrus notes

Taste - gentle sweetness up front, but delicately bitter aftertaste

Sweet - 2/5
Bitter - 1/5

A pleasantly refreshing beer which I have enjoyed many, many times - the joys of spending ten years living in the Czech Republic. Budvar is by far the best of the mass produced beers the Czech have to offer, and is up there with the best of the micro brewers as well.

velkyal, Jun 10, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +8.9%

My first Czech Pilsener. Pours a crystal clear golden color with a nice, fluffy white head that fizzles away slowly. The remaning ring leaves a small amount of lacing.

Smells of bright cirusy hops, bread dough, and a little skunk.

Bright and clean on the palate. Nice little orange/citrus zing from the hops Followed by a doughy note and crisp aftertaste.

Crisp, refreshing, and very drinkable. I like.

RodBurg, Feb 06, 2009

RollTide05, Dec 16, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +0.6%

This one seems to define "pilsner" for me. I had to try it after hearing how it's the beer that was "stolen" from the Czechs, even though they're probably laughing at us for the fermented rice we so commonly drink.

Golden in color with a loose and airy head. The taste pervaded my nose like few others. I'm not a huge fan of pilsners but this one fits the role pretty well.

86MonteSS, Apr 27, 2003
3.63/5  rDev +0.6%

This beer poured a nice golden yellow with two fingers of white head. There was a lot of a carbonation too, nice looking beer. It smells kind of tangy and hoppy, a bit of sweetness too. Good crisp, clean taste, a bit sweet but not overly so, the hops are present too. Good mouthfeel, not too much carbonation, and its quite smooth. This is a very drinkable beer, apart from the fact that you can't get it here (mine was a real bottle my parents brought back from Europe, not the Czechvar sold here).

67cuda, Feb 22, 2006
3.73/5  rDev +3.3%

two 12oz bottles in a .5L Schneider Weisse glass.

Appearance: dark gold, very effervescent, pure white head dissipated quickly

Nose: caramel, malts, spicy hops in the end

Taste: caramel, sweet malty beginning and middle that lends way to a spicy hops finish, very balanced

Mouthfeel: clean and refreshing, water of the gods

Drinkablity: I can easily drink a six pack of this in one night. It pairs well with light fare like lime chicken and sandwiches

ClavisAurea, Jan 10, 2010

Dmart1223, Jun 30, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -8.6%

I was a bit disappointed when I tasted this. I think my expectations were too high. Very drinkable and great color, but I think that Pilsner Urquell is better.

Reverand, Mar 03, 2002
4.3/5  rDev +19.1%

From what I understand, this is the beer from which Budweiser was originally modeled. I am unsure if this is true, but this was a great pilsner, nonetheless.

This was very crisp, clean, and refreshing, but Budweiser drinkers may be disappointed with this more European tasting lager. I would put this beer up against Pilsner Urquell, though it is less hoppy.

I could drink these all night.

MerkinMan, Jan 01, 2008

MEP, May 20, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -3%

ShawneeIrish, Apr 09, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +31.6%

The best way to describe this brew is as such: If God had you over for a beer, this is a lot like what he would pull out of his fridge. Like your favorite fizzy yellow beer, but better in every way.

The appearance is outwardly unremarkable, yellow like any other similar beer you would pour into a glass. What sets it apart is the continuous bubbling, like some sort of glorious alcoholic aquarium.

The smell is well-balanced and appetizing, on the malty side but a little grassy and pleasantly skunky in turns.

The taste sets this one apart. Difficult to describe, as nothing is distinct about it. It's just good. Sweet at first and crisp on the end with some hop bitterness. The mouthfeel fits, light and refreshing, with those bubbles readily apparent.

Drinkability? Hell, I'm gonna have another one right now.

If you have friends that claim to not care what they're drinking, hand them one of these. They will see the light.

IPhantom, Jul 26, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -37.7%

A- Crystal clear, pale golden yellow. This is the clearest, lightest beer I have ever seen poured into a glass.

S- Pretty boring. A little dry, almost like champagne, but not in a good way.

T- Again, not that exciting. It is light and refreshing, with a slight malty taste up front, and a very slightly bitter finish.

M- Water

D- Ultra-light, but something about the taste just makes me not want to keep drinking.

I hope my view isn't skewed after so many strong Imperial Stouts and hopped up IPAs. I've had some Czech Pilsners that I like in the past, this just isn't one of them.

IPA4LIFE, Jan 21, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -23.8%

Will12, May 25, 2013
Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.