Budweiser Budvar - Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

good

good

Budějovický Budvar, n.p. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Exported to the US as Czechvar.

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Budvar Alström Bros

MayonakaStout, Today at 02:08 PM

Hoagie, Dec 30, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

kgrichards, Mar 30, 2014
3.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Awesome! Finally a sample of Budvar in date! 1/3/06

Poured from the green bottle (not a can as in the image) a brilliant pale yellow gold, with a dense white head that sunk to a 1 cm layer. Head hung around and left plenty of lacing on the glass.

Plenty of clean malt and noble hops in the aroma. How great pilsner is when it's fresh, though it's still ninny. Slight yeast aroma, a touch of diacetyl which I just love. That hint of sweetness that is a fault in any other lager style. Crisp, inviting.

Tasted great, full malt, creamy, malty, a solid hop bitterness, that lingered afterwards for a bit. Exceptionally clean, plucky on the tongue, and a great Saaz hop flavour.

A must for anyone who wants to find out what macro ninny is supposed to taste like.

revdrjbob, Nov 15, 2005

starlight37, Jan 19, 2013

alexworsnip, Jan 28, 2013
3.83/5  rDev +6.1%

Average appearance with lager like behavior. Aroma is floral and grassy and sweet...good malt backbone. Taste is initially tangy and green with a building sweetness that almost goes too far before mellowing out into a fruity twist at the finish. Little to no bite from the hops but plenty of flavor. Mouthfeel is refreshing and spot-on for the style. Drinkability is huge.

MobBarley, May 31, 2004
3.78/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance - The slew of bubbles, light lacing, crisp golden color and perfect clarity are what I'd expect from an eastern-European pilsner. I don't know how to say it any better, this beer looks like, beer.

Smell - As your breathe it in, the smell really envelopes and it reminds me of a blend of hops and a field in late spring on a particularly warn day (think May).

Taste - Clearly well balanced. However, I feel like this beer should have a little bit of a hook; something to keep you coming back. It is almost too balanced. Up the hops 5 IBU's and that might do it for me.

Mouthfeel - As it warms up it continues to do a great job of coating the mouth. The carbonation is probably perfect for this style. It looks ultra carbonated but comes across just right.

Overall - I'm glad I grabbed a 6-pack of this. Was fun drinking this next to Urquell. If I lived in the Czech Republic this beer would compete to be my Yuengling.

Between Urquell and Czechvar, I believe that Pilsner Urquell gets my vote. Tastes like a tad more hops and that appeals to me.

chakadrum, Mar 19, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +10.2%

pours a straw yellow color with a finger white head that quickly fades.
Nose is floral with some malty sweetness
Mouth is malty sweet with a lingering hop towards the end
Feel is pretty carbonated and light. Pretty smooth no harsh off taste like the american budweiser.
Drink is pretty good lager i'd drink it if i lived in Czech.

SirChugsAlot, Jan 10, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a medium golden color with a large amount of bubbles/carbonation. Not much head and no lacing present. Smells of hops and a bit of skunk.

Noble hops dominate the taste mostly in the finish. Just enough honey and bready malt to make the taste quite balanced and smooth. The hops vary between herbal and grassy tasting.

The mouthfeel is light with heavy carbonation. Drinkability is very very high as this one of the more balanced Czech pilseners out there.

If you're looking for a slightly less bitter pilsener with still enough hops to let you know it is a pilsener, this is the beer for you.

Mardukk, Apr 14, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -37.7%

pchalk, Apr 03, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -23.8%

Heminoolo, Sep 23, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +12.2%

A: No head at all after just a moment. Very typical pilsner color.
S: The smell reminds me of a soap or laundry detergent OR corn tortillas. It depends on the moment I drink it. I must say that it smells more interesting than most lagers.
T: The taste is interesting. It has a bitter finish for a lager, but it is complex in an way that I have not experienced with a lager.
M: This beer is medium bodied and moderately smooth with only a light carbonation.
D: Super easy to drink like most lagers. I think this is my favorite pilsner to date.

smcreator, Jun 30, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured a golden/straw colour with very little head that didn't last long.

Has quite a fruity hoppy aroma that was quite pleasant to the nose.

Clean, light and refreshingly citrussy/orangey flavour with a bready finish.

Crisp and light on the fizz. Very easy to drink.

madvoice, Feb 11, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

DuncanMcBommer, May 22, 2014

Paracatu, Feb 08, 2012

LuckyLyle, Jun 19, 2013

GregaR, Jul 17, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

The original budwieser, much, much better than it's american counterpart.

Poured a golden yellow with a creamy head. Gorgeous, but the head dissapeared quickly leaving only a little lacing.

Smell is rancid. Seems like it could be skunked, but there are smells there that aren't skunk, and aren't pleasant either.

Despite the smell, the flavor is pleasent. Saaz hops flavor is very strong and very spicy. The skunk I smelled doesn't seem to manifest itself on the toungue, but I can still smell it lending unpleasentness to the flavor. The maltiness is stronger than most pills, and balances the hops nicely.

Average mouthfeel, needs more carbonation.

All in all a solid brew, not fantastic but much better than it's american ilk.

Charthepirate, Nov 19, 2003

GhostPants, Jan 02, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +21.3%

I’ve had this beer quite a lot, and it remains a personal favorite. The bottle comes in a nice green color, covered at the top in a lovely golden foil. The appearance is similar to most Czech Pilsners. It has a nice golden color with a large white head with moderate lacing. The hoppy smell is a bit better than most Pilsners. The taste, drinkability, and mouthfeel is very good. It is a bit expensive, but worth the price. Overall, a good Czech Pilsner which is far better than most pilsners.

boblog, Aug 04, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -0.3%

DO NOT SMELL THIS BEER OUTTA BOTTLE! Poured into a pilsner. a light dandelion yellow color. not too bubbly.
Has a lemony smell. I got a huge hit of skunk from the bottle, but was directed not to judge it until it poured into a glass. VERY right. you can also smell a nice hopness to it.
taste is a lot better then it smells. It has a lemon zing, but a bitter brisk. Very crisp drinking style typical of most lagers.

IIKaRuII, Jan 07, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a nice golden color with a thin white head.

Smells very grassy, with some grain and hop aromas mixed in, but mostly a grassy smell to this.

The taste is quite good, very balanced, yet flavorful. There is a slight hop bitterness, I would have liked to have seen a slightly stronger hop flavor, but thats just me.

There is a slight aftertaste to the beer, but nothing too bad.

Overall I am glad I tried this beer, its easy to drink, and flavorful , though its quite pricey for what it is in my opinion, but a good beer either way.

usualpulp, Jun 13, 2004

Sometimes the world works in strange ways and I wind up tasting Czechvar and AB Budweiser practically side by side. Usually I would avoid both these beers though for different reasons.

I was at friend's house where we were meeting up to head down to the Eagles play-off game. I was offered a beer with canned Bud being the only choice; rather than being a snob I happily accepted. The review on that will be in the appropraite place.

The very next morning I was at another friend's house where he asked me if I ever tried Czechvar, replying negatively, he gave me a warm bottle to take with me. My reason for not ever buying this beer, either personally or professionally, is due to the green bottle. Why risk getting a skunky beer? The bottle I had was in good conditon with not even a hint of skunkiness.

Budwar aka Czechvar reminded me a lot of Victory Prima Pils, especially the ending tastes, which was definitely very hoppy but in a wet rather than dry way.

This is a very nice beer. It seems very much the epitomy of the style and rightly deserves to be the standard that other pilsners are measured against. If I was in the Czech Republic, I'd drink this all the time. But since I'm in the USA, I'll buy one of many equally good, locally produced pilsners.

Scoats, Jan 14, 2003

Poured from a bottle with gold foil capping. Clear gold color and a nice foam head that disappaites quickly into decent lacing.

There's no significant aroma to it, however, it has a crisp taste and is well-balanced. A nice amount of carbonation makes it easy to drink and very enjoyable. There's a slight spiciness to it, a mild citrus or clove taste that plays well with the medium body of the beer and crispness of the carbonation.

A fine beer and very easy to drink. Not my favorite pils but I thought it was very good.

Abita45, Oct 19, 2006
Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.