Budweiser Budvar - Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

good

good

Budějovický Budvar, n.p. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Exported to the US as Czechvar.

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Budvar Alström Bros
Heminoolo

Estonia

2.75/5  rDev -23.8%

09-23-2012 12:39:35 | More by Heminoolo
smcreator

4.05/5  rDev +12.2%

A: No head at all after just a moment. Very typical pilsner color.
S: The smell reminds me of a soap or laundry detergent OR corn tortillas. It depends on the moment I drink it. I must say that it smells more interesting than most lagers.
T: The taste is interesting. It has a bitter finish for a lager, but it is complex in an way that I have not experienced with a lager.
M: This beer is medium bodied and moderately smooth with only a light carbonation.
D: Super easy to drink like most lagers. I think this is my favorite pilsner to date.

06-30-2007 21:27:25 | More by smcreator
madvoice

Australia

3.83/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured a golden/straw colour with very little head that didn't last long.

Has quite a fruity hoppy aroma that was quite pleasant to the nose.

Clean, light and refreshingly citrussy/orangey flavour with a bready finish.

Crisp and light on the fizz. Very easy to drink.

02-11-2009 11:18:09 | More by madvoice

LuckyLyle

06-19-2013 22:29:39 | More by LuckyLyle
Charthepirate

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

The original budwieser, much, much better than it's american counterpart.

Poured a golden yellow with a creamy head. Gorgeous, but the head dissapeared quickly leaving only a little lacing.

Smell is rancid. Seems like it could be skunked, but there are smells there that aren't skunk, and aren't pleasant either.

Despite the smell, the flavor is pleasent. Saaz hops flavor is very strong and very spicy. The skunk I smelled doesn't seem to manifest itself on the toungue, but I can still smell it lending unpleasentness to the flavor. The maltiness is stronger than most pills, and balances the hops nicely.

Average mouthfeel, needs more carbonation.

All in all a solid brew, not fantastic but much better than it's american ilk.

11-19-2003 23:20:30 | More by Charthepirate
GhostPants

Wisconsin

01-02-2013 20:11:52 | More by GhostPants
boblog

Oklahoma

4.38/5  rDev +21.3%

I’ve had this beer quite a lot, and it remains a personal favorite. The bottle comes in a nice green color, covered at the top in a lovely golden foil. The appearance is similar to most Czech Pilsners. It has a nice golden color with a large white head with moderate lacing. The hoppy smell is a bit better than most Pilsners. The taste, drinkability, and mouthfeel is very good. It is a bit expensive, but worth the price. Overall, a good Czech Pilsner which is far better than most pilsners.

08-04-2006 01:50:51 | More by boblog
IIKaRuII

3.6/5  rDev -0.3%

DO NOT SMELL THIS BEER OUTTA BOTTLE! Poured into a pilsner. a light dandelion yellow color. not too bubbly.
Has a lemony smell. I got a huge hit of skunk from the bottle, but was directed not to judge it until it poured into a glass. VERY right. you can also smell a nice hopness to it.
taste is a lot better then it smells. It has a lemon zing, but a bitter brisk. Very crisp drinking style typical of most lagers.

01-07-2011 03:28:25 | More by IIKaRuII
usualpulp

3.7/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a nice golden color with a thin white head.

Smells very grassy, with some grain and hop aromas mixed in, but mostly a grassy smell to this.

The taste is quite good, very balanced, yet flavorful. There is a slight hop bitterness, I would have liked to have seen a slightly stronger hop flavor, but thats just me.

There is a slight aftertaste to the beer, but nothing too bad.

Overall I am glad I tried this beer, its easy to drink, and flavorful , though its quite pricey for what it is in my opinion, but a good beer either way.

06-13-2004 21:22:37 | More by usualpulp
Scoats

Sometimes the world works in strange ways and I wind up tasting Czechvar and AB Budweiser practically side by side. Usually I would avoid both these beers though for different reasons.

I was at friend's house where we were meeting up to head down to the Eagles play-off game. I was offered a beer with canned Bud being the only choice; rather than being a snob I happily accepted. The review on that will be in the appropraite place.

The very next morning I was at another friend's house where he asked me if I ever tried Czechvar, replying negatively, he gave me a warm bottle to take with me. My reason for not ever buying this beer, either personally or professionally, is due to the green bottle. Why risk getting a skunky beer? The bottle I had was in good conditon with not even a hint of skunkiness.

Budwar aka Czechvar reminded me a lot of Victory Prima Pils, especially the ending tastes, which was definitely very hoppy but in a wet rather than dry way.

This is a very nice beer. It seems very much the epitomy of the style and rightly deserves to be the standard that other pilsners are measured against. If I was in the Czech Republic, I'd drink this all the time. But since I'm in the USA, I'll buy one of many equally good, locally produced pilsners.

01-14-2003 06:32:33 | More by Scoats
Abita45

Poured from a bottle with gold foil capping. Clear gold color and a nice foam head that disappaites quickly into decent lacing.

There's no significant aroma to it, however, it has a crisp taste and is well-balanced. A nice amount of carbonation makes it easy to drink and very enjoyable. There's a slight spiciness to it, a mild citrus or clove taste that plays well with the medium body of the beer and crispness of the carbonation.

A fine beer and very easy to drink. Not my favorite pils but I thought it was very good.

10-19-2006 14:30:03 | More by Abita45

10-28-2013 06:26:30 | More by djbx
barleyman

Georgia

3.23/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured from the green glass one half liter bottle. A dark yellow, beer with a white head that quickly dissapates. The smell is of continental lager, little malt, little hops. The taste is also of continental lager, with little to distinquish. Mouthfeel is fairly light, with excellent drinkability.

Just a thought,

05-22-2014 20:24:45 | More by DuncanMcBommer
dren

Indiana

3.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured a nice gold color with a quick fading head. Smells like your typical pilsner and does resemble the American version. Taste is similar but quite a bit fuller with hints of hops and a malty finish. Very smooth and quite good for a pilsner. I am by no means a fan of pilsners but this is the best one I have had to date. Very well balanced and easy to drink. I can certainly see why this beer was "mimicked" here in America.

03-13-2006 00:13:49 | More by dren
MusicmanSD

It's been awhile since I've had an Urquell for comparison, but this is mighty tasty! Been waiting to try this since the store got it in again. Pours a beautiful golden color with a surprisingly small, short lived head. I shall pour more aggressively next time! The smell is what a lager should smell like. Hoppy, floral, and slightly sweet. This is awesome, then again, this IS my favorite style of beer...The taste is no let down either. Refreshing, hoppy (not hophead hoppy though), and smooth. Reminiscent of an IPA almost. Hoppy aftertaste. The mouthfeel is sorta watery, then again, this is a lager, but it is very smooth and the carbonation is just right. 4's across the board, but that’s because that’s what I gave my fav the Urquell! The drinkability is great. Not too harsh, and not too macro-lager like. A very well done bier. Cheers to the Czech's!

08-09-2006 03:57:02 | More by MusicmanSD
LagerCognoscenti

United Kingdom (England)

3.5/5  rDev -3%

Today is 6th June 2014 and my bottle's best before date is 17th April 2015 so it is quite fresh.
I poured super aggressively as I have had this before and the head was non existent. This one had really decent lacing. The colour is a nice golden lager colour. The smell is pleasant but not strong. Grainy with a very subtle floral saaz hop note. This beer was a great change from Heineken and Carlsberg when it first came to England many years ago. Nowadays it's arguable that German Pilsners and some other Euro lagers that are widely available are as good if not better than this. It's quite good and quite enjoyable but not particularly special. An ok choice but I'd rather have Slovakia's Zlaty Bazant. Perla Cmielowa fron Poland and Ursus from Romania are both a bit more flavoursome.

My mark out of one hundred would be 77.

06-06-2014 22:37:44 | More by LagerCognoscenti
Skwisgaar

Ontario (Canada)

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

08-05-2013 06:01:33 | More by Skwisgaar
jmc44

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

As the American verision of the Czech Republic's Budvar, I found this very disappointing. I have heard Budvar touted as "the best beer in the world", and though I have not tried a true, on-tap Budvar, I found this beer to be rather mediocre.

Aroma is well pronounced and fruity.

Beer pours a light straw color, very clear, with a white head composed of small bubbles that fades as expedted.

Tastes very light as expected. Would likely be an excellent beer to drink outside in summer.

Mouthfeel is also light.

3.25/5  rDev -10%

06-24-2013 16:47:38 | More by FroggieG
RD1163

04-06-2013 04:07:24 | More by RD1163
Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.