Budweiser Budvar - Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

good

Budějovický Budvar, n.p. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: grdahl on 06-22-2001

Exported to the US as Czechvar.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Budvar Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Wanting to try this for a while. Light golden straw with a foam head that fades fast. Smells of light spicy hopping and pale bready malts. Great taste, slightly bready, macro like, but flavorful. Strong aftertaste, with full on carbonation. Appealing. A common theme among pilsners I've tasted of late - slightly unfresh tasting and a little bit of alcohol? Maybe this is the yeast... Mouthfeel is light but not too watery, carbonation is full on. Drinkability is good and I could recommend this to macro drinkers. A lovable pilsner is a special thing, but hard to find. Glad I tried it though.

3.76/5  rDev +4.4%

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

I've been wanting to sample this one for a long time. It turned up at the Meijer's on the way home from work, so of course I bought it. I'm drinking it at room temp. in a pilsner glass. It surprises me how well it tastes. I was expecting something a little more euro lager-ish. The hops was the first thing I noticed, but as I work on finishing my first, I'm surprised by how sweet and maltly it now tastes. Which is surprising considering that there is ZERO head retention or lacing. Sure, I'd drink it again, as long as your buying. Cheers!

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

APPEARANCE:
11.5 ounce bottle with expiration date of 5/7/2010. Label says Czechvar. Pours a clear gold color with a small white head. No noticeable lacing.
AROMA:
Light aroma of herbal hops and hint of lemon.
FLAVOR:
"Pilsener" like flavor. A little wheatgrass, malt, crackers, mineral and light spiciness.
MOUTHFEEL:
Medium body with lightly crisp mouthfeel. Lively carbonation.
DRINKABILITY:
Easy drinking beer but has enough flavor to make it interesting. Definitely better than Budweiser.
NOTES: BBCSD-0910-Sean, BJCP-Bohemian Pilsener

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Light golden body and a "now you see it now you don't" head on pouring.

S - Slightly malty with some very light fruitiness.

T - Pretty much dominated by the malts, little in the way of hopiness.

M - Smooth and not too fizzy.

D - Rather easy to drink, good for a barbecue.

As pilsners/lagers go this is definitely superior, however this style is just not my beer of choice these days. Would definitely take this over the standard UK mass produced lagers any day.

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

Color: Light gold with a snow white head, head is slightly thin but lasting with some lacing.

Aroma: Bread dough, apples, pears, dandelion flowers, straw, salt and alcohol and a hint of caramel.

Taste: Starts out with soft honey malt notes then bitter then dry. After a few sips it all becomes unified. There is something in the range of citrus leaves as well. I don't really taste all the notes expressed in the aroma but it is a great drink.

Notes: This beer is fairly light in body but so well balanced that it expresses some real weight on the palate. I am not typically a light lager drinker but this is one I enjoy.

2.15/5  rDev -40.3%

Before I begin, BA claims that the beer I had was an alias for this brew. I drank a Czechvar bottled beer. This beer doesn't seem to even come close to any review I have looked at on here, while seeing if this was the right beer.

This beer poured a golden yellow color with a half finger high white head. The head dissipated quickly to nothing. A couple lacy bubbles here and there. The initial smell was sweet barley and this smell vanished after about 30 seconds. The initial taste of the beer was first up front barley, however after two sips there was no taste and no smell. The brew had a light body and medium carbonation.

Well, what can I say...this was horrid and depressing. You got flavor only when you attacked the beer in its initial pour, which is great if you chugged it in that first go. Overall, disappointment but what do I expect from the big name brewer.

2.26/5  rDev -37.2%

A- Crystal clear, pale golden yellow. This is the clearest, lightest beer I have ever seen poured into a glass.

S- Pretty boring. A little dry, almost like champagne, but not in a good way.

T- Again, not that exciting. It is light and refreshing, with a slight malty taste up front, and a very slightly bitter finish.

M- Water

D- Ultra-light, but something about the taste just makes me not want to keep drinking.

I hope my view isn't skewed after so many strong Imperial Stouts and hopped up IPAs. I've had some Czech Pilsners that I like in the past, this just isn't one of them.

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Today is 6th June 2014 and my bottle's best before date is 17th April 2015 so it is quite fresh.
I poured super aggressively as I have had this before and the head was non existent. This one had really decent lacing. The colour is a nice golden lager colour. The smell is pleasant but not strong. Grainy with a very subtle floral saaz hop note. This beer was a great change from Heineken and Carlsberg when it first came to England many years ago. Nowadays it's arguable that German Pilsners and some other Euro lagers that are widely available are as good if not better than this. It's quite good and quite enjoyable but not particularly special. An ok choice but I'd rather have Slovakia's Zlaty Bazant. Perla Cmielowa fron Poland and Ursus from Romania are both a bit more flavoursome.

My mark out of one hundred would be 77.

3.31/5  rDev -8.1%

I bought a sixer of these and brought it home. I then poured the beer into one of my Warsteiner Pils glasses. I was frightened by the initial smell and thankfully it went away. it was an unpleasant yeast smell that was sitting on top of the bottle. Thankfully the beer was not "skunked" out and it tasted like a pilsner should. The appearance was average but made up in taste.

A: A beautiful golden yellow with effervescent bubble that rise up the pilsner glass. A good head when I first poured which reduced to a paper thin head. No lacing detected.

S: Floral and grassy hop smell which is beautiful which combats a stinky yeast smell that I got when I first opened the beer. Thankfully the yeast smell goes away a minute after the pour.

T: A true pilsner with a nice crisp spicy Saaz hop bite followed by a floral/grassy taste. The malt character is grassy with a moderate sweetness.

M: Airy and an a little drying. It will make you burpy however but it a light bodied beer that is thin and true to style.

D: This can be enjoyed in all seasons as it provides a thirst quenching aspect to it.

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The aroma is simple but pleasant enough—some spicy, earthy hops and cookie sweetness. The body is a brilliantly clear amber with a dense, off-white head. The flavor has some of that subtle cookie sweetness along with a fair amount of tart bitterness and a touch of popcorn butter, especially as it warms up. The carbonation is moderate, and the body is light but fuller than a basic lager; smooth with a crisp bite.

Tasty and refreshing, albeit rather simple on the whole. There are at least no unwelcome aspects.

4.85/5  rDev +34.7%

Sight - golden with a white head

Smell - not much going one, some grass and citrus notes

Taste - gentle sweetness up front, but delicately bitter aftertaste

Sweet - 2/5
Bitter - 1/5

A pleasantly refreshing beer which I have enjoyed many, many times - the joys of spending ten years living in the Czech Republic. Budvar is by far the best of the mass produced beers the Czech have to offer, and is up there with the best of the micro brewers as well.

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%

My first Czech Pilsener. Pours a crystal clear golden color with a nice, fluffy white head that fizzles away slowly. The remaning ring leaves a small amount of lacing.

Smells of bright cirusy hops, bread dough, and a little skunk.

Bright and clean on the palate. Nice little orange/citrus zing from the hops Followed by a doughy note and crisp aftertaste.

Crisp, refreshing, and very drinkable. I like.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

This one seems to define "pilsner" for me. I had to try it after hearing how it's the beer that was "stolen" from the Czechs, even though they're probably laughing at us for the fermented rice we so commonly drink.

Golden in color with a loose and airy head. The taste pervaded my nose like few others. I'm not a huge fan of pilsners but this one fits the role pretty well.

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

This beer poured a nice golden yellow with two fingers of white head. There was a lot of a carbonation too, nice looking beer. It smells kind of tangy and hoppy, a bit of sweetness too. Good crisp, clean taste, a bit sweet but not overly so, the hops are present too. Good mouthfeel, not too much carbonation, and its quite smooth. This is a very drinkable beer, apart from the fact that you can't get it here (mine was a real bottle my parents brought back from Europe, not the Czechvar sold here).

Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.