Budweiser Budvar - Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

good

good

Budějovický Budvar, n.p. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Exported to the US as Czechvar.

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-19-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Budvar Alström Bros
3.3/5  rDev -8.6%

I was a bit disappointed when I tasted this. I think my expectations were too high. Very drinkable and great color, but I think that Pilsner Urquell is better.

4.3/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

From what I understand, this is the beer from which Budweiser was originally modeled. I am unsure if this is true, but this was a great pilsner, nonetheless.

This was very crisp, clean, and refreshing, but Budweiser drinkers may be disappointed with this more European tasting lager. I would put this beer up against Pilsner Urquell, though it is less hoppy.

I could drink these all night.

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

3.5/5  rDev -3%

Today is 6th June 2014 and my bottle's best before date is 17th April 2015 so it is quite fresh.
I poured super aggressively as I have had this before and the head was non existent. This one had really decent lacing. The colour is a nice golden lager colour. The smell is pleasant but not strong. Grainy with a very subtle floral saaz hop note. This beer was a great change from Heineken and Carlsberg when it first came to England many years ago. Nowadays it's arguable that German Pilsners and some other Euro lagers that are widely available are as good if not better than this. It's quite good and quite enjoyable but not particularly special. An ok choice but I'd rather have Slovakia's Zlaty Bazant. Perla Cmielowa fron Poland and Ursus from Romania are both a bit more flavoursome.

My mark out of one hundred would be 77.

3.25/5  rDev -10%

4.75/5  rDev +31.6%

The best way to describe this brew is as such: If God had you over for a beer, this is a lot like what he would pull out of his fridge. Like your favorite fizzy yellow beer, but better in every way.

The appearance is outwardly unremarkable, yellow like any other similar beer you would pour into a glass. What sets it apart is the continuous bubbling, like some sort of glorious alcoholic aquarium.

The smell is well-balanced and appetizing, on the malty side but a little grassy and pleasantly skunky in turns.

The taste sets this one apart. Difficult to describe, as nothing is distinct about it. It's just good. Sweet at first and crisp on the end with some hop bitterness. The mouthfeel fits, light and refreshing, with those bubbles readily apparent.

Drinkability? Hell, I'm gonna have another one right now.

If you have friends that claim to not care what they're drinking, hand them one of these. They will see the light.

2.75/5  rDev -23.8%

3.6/5  rDev -0.3%

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance: Golden-yellow, classic pilsner look. Big fluffy head.
Smell: A little malty.
Taste: Very well balanced. More malt taste than anything else but not overpowering. Leaves the mouth dry, wanting more. It's somewhat complex tasting for a pilsner.
Mouthfeel: Light carbonation and slightly watery feel.
Drinkability: This is a great session beer. I would be hard pressed to grow tired of this one.

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

3.3/5  rDev -8.6%

Cloudy golden color with good bubbles. Quickly diminishing white head.

Immediate skunky smell. Once you really get into it there are biscuits and a touch of honey.

Crisp hops dominate the taste especially the back end which is exceedingly bitter.

Another green bottle from overseas, another beer that's a bit of a skunkaroo.

I wasn't very impressed by Budvar. I'd heard it was amazing, but it tasted very average to me. While mine was average, my friend's was skunky. They both came from the 'same' pack. What kind of high quality beer has this sort of inconsistency?
Go buy some of Argentina's Favorite Beer and leave this on the shelf.

4.9/5  rDev +35.7%

3.9/5  rDev +8%

Yummy.
I got this beer in a brown bottle and was greeted with a hit of skunk when I opened it but overall, a nice smell. Its a nice pale straw colour with a sligthly frothy head at first that laces the glass throughout.

Taste is good, a nice solid pilsner that I will come back to again and again. Suprisingly low in bitterness this beer is very easy to suck back in mass quantities.

One of my new favorite pilsners.

2.7/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours a very light gold with a pretty good sized head. The head reduces moderately quickly and has a consistency that is fizzy on the sides but foamy in the middle. No lacing apparent here.

The initial smell was more like the typical green bottle (mine was green contrary to the picture, best until 6/2005) Euro-lager 'skunk' smell. I caught this after so much as opening the bottle. Past that, I am able to detect something of a bready smell and something I can best describe as metallic. After a couple of minutes either the 'skunky' smell is gone or I am numb to it. That will bring it back to respectable.

There isn't much taste up front, but in the middle and back I get some decent hop bitterness.

This beer gets some points for enjoyable, yet moderate carbonation and a smooth finish.

I would say that this beer is drinkable at the level of it not being harsh in alcohol or smoothness, but after this one I'm okay with not having another because it's just hard to get over that metallic smell.

It is possible I've just got a bad bottle, but beyond the initial smell (which went away) it didn't act like a skunked beer. I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll try it again someday and see if I can get along with it better.

3.93/5  rDev +8.9%

Czechvar pours a clear, golden color. A 1/4" off-white head forms and fades fast. Moderate carbonation; little lacing. The malty sweetness in the aroma is balanced very well with the citrus and mild pine aromas from the hops. A faint apple smell can also be found.

The inital taste is quite sweet; the malt flavor is very evident. Right after that, the hops kick in, providing a bitterness that complements the malt quite nicely. The taste is what one would expect from a good pilsener: simple and uncomplicated, yet executed very well.

The mouthfeel is thin (as would be expected for a pils); however, the finish is exceptionally crisp. The residual bitterness left by the hops is mild and pleasant.

I've never had a Czech lager before, and the difference between it and American macro lagers is very evident. This is a great example of what a real pilsener is, and how much it has been corrupted by megabreweries throughout the world.

3.18/5  rDev -11.9%

The Czechvar premium Czech lager pours clear and pale gold with a respectable white head. There is initially a mild floral hop aroma that latter becomes grassy as the beer warms. The taste is definitely maltier than what I've come to expect from the pilsner-style. It tastes a little bready on the palate, then finishes slightly bitter and a bit metallic. Overall a decent beer, but not one I would choose over other cleaner, crisper variants of this style.

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

3.5/5  rDev -3%

Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.