Budweiser Budvar - Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

good

Budějovický Budvar, n.p. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-19-2002

Exported to the US as Czechvar.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Budvar Alström Bros
3.91/5  rDev +8.6%

Very light straw yellow with a semi-smeared clearness to its moderate bubbly body. Thin, fizzy, and elusive stark white head with no staying power. Pops away quicker then soda pop fizz to a whispy broken skim and a light frothy collaring. Lacing is splotchy at best with a bit of separated sheeting deciding to stick after about half the glass.
Crisp, clean nose. Adequate but impartial strength of grains and a dantily tilting spicy/herbal/grassy Saaz induced hopping. More of a corn-like sweetness emerges after a period of warming.
Taste has a mild frothyness about it with a fine tuned grain backing and ascents of sharp, quick little herbal hop pops. Semi-sweetened with a bit of honey bread underneath. Overall, mild, clean, sweet, and perky with that certain zip of Saaz hopping that's traditionally found in a Czech Pils character.
Nearly perfect mouthfeel and body mixing with the flavors with a supreme creamyness and light corn-edged sweetness along with slight bready tones. Very nice drinker here. I quite liked it. Clean, simple, delicate, and accommodating. Serve at a warmer temp and not ice cold. Much, much, better that way.

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Clear gold pour with a moderate white fizzy head. Not much lacing in the glass.

Smell is somewhat hoppy with a bit of thick, sweet malt in the nose.

More malt than I'm used to for the style in the flavor. Not overhopped, but there's a definite crisp hop presence in it. The finish is dry and fairly spicy.

Overall: A bit malty for me, it's a good pilsner, but I can never see myself picking this one up over other better examples of the style.

Bottled on 5-9-2005, drank on 5-27-2005.
Had a cold 500 ml bottle of this on a hot Tuscan afternoon, sitting on the patio, overlooking the Chianti hillsides. Bright, clear, sparkling golden body with a small, tight, white head. Honey biscuit malt aromas and fresh barley backed by zesty, spicy hops. Taste is clean, lightly sweetened malts with a touch of cooked veggies. Spicy, tasty hops come in and provide thirst-quenching bitterness. Finish is long and clean. LIght bodied with refreshing, sparkling carbonation.

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%

Purchased from Midtown Wine and Spirits, Nashville, TN.

Well, it's a hell of a lot better than Budweiser, I'll give it that.

This one came in a green bottle with a gold foil wrapper around the top. As an aside, I wish that breweries would use those wrappers less, as they tend to break off on the bottle opener and cause me to risk getting gold foil in the beer itself. I'm not aware of any serious advantages to having the gold foil, so....

Anyway, appearance was highly positive, a nice straw color with a small but persistent head. A little bit more opaque than some other pilseners and helles lagers I've had, but not by any means cloudy. Almost shiny in appearance -- I liked it a lot. The nice thing about such a beer is watching the bubbles rise to the surface; carbonation was high (to-style for a Czech pilsener) and the bubbles were numerous.

The thing smelled pretty good, but nothing all that special. A nice kind of grassy scent with no noticeable hops and very little sweetness. This one smelled like, well, beer.

Taste was decent, although fairly unremarkable and unmemorable. Not quite as carbonated as Pilsener Urquell, this beer tasted perfectly fine and went down smooth. Aftertaste was minimal, and reminded me of a nice lager.

Mouthfeel was okay -- pretty thin on the body with a fair amount of carbonation in the mix. Didn't make me think of anything special, but it went down smooth and went well with the warm night summer air.

Drinkability is good on this one -- I'm giving it a fairly high rating simply because it was totally inoffensive to me, and would make a pretty good hot-weather beer for working days or grilling out. At $10.69 a six-pack, though, I found this one to be a bit overpriced.

Much better than the Urquell, anyway. Just nothing that I'm going to seek out to buy again.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

I found this in a green bottle, rather than brown as shown in the pic. Poured out a nice yellow color with a one finger, fast dissipating head.

Aroma was grassy and slightly skunky hops, with some lighter malts underneath. Not staggering, but a little better than average.

Taste was lightly hoppy, not bitter, not skunky... a little sweet, a little grassy. The aftertaste had a hint of bitterness.

Mouthfeel was well carbonated, and not bad for the style.

This is a tough one... I am not a big fan of pilseners. BUT I have to review it based on style, not on personal preferences. Tough to make yourself do that. On that basis, it was a pretty decent pilsener.

3.06/5  rDev -15%

I bought this at my local liquor store thinking that this is what Budweiser tastes like in europe.

Anyway, poured a pale straw colour. With a medium foam head which quickly dissapates.

The taste: Well there is a sweetness that permeates through. Sure there is a hop bitterness but I just seem to end up with that sweet aftertaste that this beer seems to carry.

Not overly carbonated. Pretty much your standard average beer.

2.86/5  rDev -20.6%

Through out my life Bud drinkers have always told me that the Bud they drink is just the americanized version of the original Czech beer. As if the original were a magical mythical beer that could smote all others. So when I saw it I had to try it to find out whether they were right or just misinformed.

Pours a light copper color with a tiny creamy white head. Ample carbonation. Smells sweet, with a faint herbal hop presence. Taste is faint and a little toward the sweet side. Still, it is fairly well balance with some herbal hop taste. The aftertaste is sweet. The taste would be good if it weren't so faint. The mouthfeel is light with nice carbonation. This beer is very easy to drink with its light flavor and body. Overall, I believe most American macro drinkers would believe this to be the woulds gratest beer, because the flavor is far better than the Bud they drink. I, on the other hand, know pilsners can taste a lot better than this one does.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best before date 08/05.

Cap pops off with a forceful "thwop." Crystal clear and light golden with a three-finger thick white head that left no lacing on my glass. Lots of bubble streams in there.

The smell of this one is tough for me to describe. A hop presence is most obvious and grassy but it also gives me a tingling sensation in the snout. A malty sweetness wafts up.

Taste is sweet and carmel-like with a floral hop, almost grassy flavor. Ends bitterly with decidedly grassy flavor balanced with the carmel.

Much heavier in the mouth than I expected from the color and clarity. Carbonation is about right.

A good pilsner, and, without looking, I'd guess it's the best of what I've reviewed. I don't think you have to be a fan of the style to enjoy this beer. It's good. Try some.

3.46/5  rDev -3.9%

This beer is everything I wish American pilsners were. Highly refreshing and drinkable, and yet not boring or watered down.

The nose is complex and light. Slight citrus, spice, and DMS of cooked corn all are notable, all backed up by a harmony of floral hop and malt If only it were stronger! The color is a crystal clear brilliant gold with an impressive fluffy head that leaves spottly lace on the glass.

The flavor has a light hop hit at the front with a gentle butter diacetyl. The hop taste fades, walking a gentle balance with the malt. The slick and effervescent mouthfeel makes the beer go down quite smoothly.

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

hmmm. ingredients: water malt and hops.
what? no yeast?!! how do they do it? ok, seriously now...

glass gets coated in small bubbles with lots of carbonation. clear deep golden color, but almost no head at all.

good aroma with a strong grassiness, and a hint of malty sweetness.

debating betwen 3.5 and 4.0 for taste. has good balance which gets it over the line. crisp and refreshing with good contributions from the malt and hops. the hops giving it a sufficiently bitter finish.

well, a pretty darn good czech pils. just missing that bit of spiciness which could have added more depth? perhaps?

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Fairly skunky presence at first, of course I should attribute that to the bottle date of 9-03 on it. A bit of a cidery twang and a high diactely taste. It was great to finally find this but I attribute most of the faults with the age and probable improper storage methods before I found it. Looking forward to finding a better vintage to give this a better shot.

3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

12 ounce, brown bottle, comes with best before dating. Pours very light almond and clear. Nose is moderatly grassy with a wiff of cabbadge. White head, minimal lacing left on the glass. Light bodied, minimal flavor also observed. Grassy lager, not much going on here, need more hoppy bite/crispness. Middle of the road macro/lager.

4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

I was just curious to see how this compared to the American Budweiser. It was very similar, aside from the fact that I could taste the difference between the real malted grain and corn or rice adjuncts. The taste was the only thing that truly set this beer apart from its degenerate step-children, but that is obviously the most important part of the beer drinking experience.

The appearance was crystal clear and light to golden yellow, as one would expect from a pils, accompanied by a decent white foam that eventually recedes to a ring around the glass. The smell is typical of the pilsener style. I don't know if it is the saaz hops or the yeast strain used in pilseners, but I've always thought the smell of pils was disgusting even if the taste was on par (such as this one).

The taste actually took my by surprise. I didn't think I would ever give a pils a perfect 5 in the taste dept [hold on while I check my review of Rogue Imperial Pils: confirmed]. The taste is somewhat sweet from the malts, accompanied by a bit of berry fruitiness from the yeast, and finished off by a playful bite of the hops. I now understand why the pilsener style actually gained enough of a following to be declared a style unto its own (as opposed to thousands of medievil BA's dismissing it as pisswater).

The mouthfeel was a bit lacking, but it is one of the 'cleanest' styles of beer out there. While it may be perfect for the style, I tend to like something a little more full bodied or at least containing a tiny bit of miscellaneous sedimentary shit. That being said, this would make an excellent session brew for the masses. If you are ever planning on hosting a huge party and you want an easily accessible brew for the masses while at the same time providing a conversational piece to satisfy your inner BA about how scandalous it is that budvar must be called czechvar in the US... this would be your beer. Hell, try it anyway. It's one pils that is totally worth your while. Next mission: try the Pilsener-Urquell (sp?).

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ive never had this beer before and just picked it up at the local liquor store because it happened to be on sale. I was pleasantly surprised to find it such a impressive little brew.
It pours golden with a average head and sweet-hoppy smell. The taste is sweet and crisp with a bit of an aftertaste.
The is the only Czech product I have every tried but I'm planning on experimenting in hopes of finding more soild little brews.
I paid $4.99 for a 6-pack

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

Original Czechvar. I'm excited because:
a) I've never had it before
b) My ancestral homeland is the Slovak Republic, so I have an inherited taste for beer from the region.
Unfortunately, the only bottle of this stuff I see at the store is best before 3/2004. Oh well, I figure I'll try it and file it in the back of my mind to taste against a fresher bottle in the future. It pours out a beautiful golden, a few bubbles shooting updward, and a perfect foam. After about a minute the two finger head is reduced by 2/3 and after another minute it's down to a ring around the sides and some speckle in the middle.

Since it's so dang over due, I can't really smell any hops, but the malt is still sweet and thick. The taste - just so/so. I get a decent amount of malt and sweet finish, but I'm left wondering what complexity a fresh batch would produce. Still, it's above average for a lager on the strength of the malt.

I really like the mouthfeel. Big and soft with a little carbonation for some bite.

This drink is quite consumable even when a year past its best before date - no souring of the malt. I typically prefer the golden beers in the warmer months, so I'm hoping to get another shot at this beer in the near future.

4.28/5  rDev +18.9%

Came in Half Liter can, direct from the Czech Repubic(via my friend). Poured yellow, with a fluffy white foam head. Smell was pretty much clean, but not unpleasent. The taste was smooth and malty, with grain protruding. Felt good in mouth, and was exceptionally refreshing. Top notch beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

March 2005- Purchased at Trader Joe's in San Francisco, CA

Another decent pils! I've been on a pils roll as of recent. Light yellow pour with huge bubbles that leave good webs of lacing. Sweet malt scents as well as tastes. Very crisp and somewhat dry, but overall a decent pils. Excellent thirst quencher.

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

Served at a local pub with a flute glass. I was impressed with their savvy choice for glassware.

Crystal clear, very pale golden. Tight, tiny bubbled white head. Pretty handsome beer. The head goes away fast.

I sniffed the hell out of this beer, and came up pretty empty handed. Sweet malts and threshold hopping. Very clean.

Pale malts and light hops in well balance, neither as pronounced as I was hoping for, especially the hops. As the beer warmed it became a bit cloying, I wanted more hops! Dammed refreshing cold, though. CO2 seemed a bit much, stinging and out of balance.

Where's the lawnmower when you need it? Great for slaking a thirst.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Every Beer style wants to be found. Sometimes you have to go halfway around the world to come full circle and find what would happen if Bud (AB-St.Louis, Mo)
brewed with the same ingredients as Brewery Budweiser Budvar.

Sofia Coppola wrote and directed Bill Murray playing Bob Harris, an American film actor, far past his prime, visits Tokyo to appear in commercials, and he meets the young wife of a visiting photographer. Bored and weary, Bob and Charlotte make ideal if improbable travelling companions.

I am reminded of the slick AB ads for Select - a beer truely mediocre and lost - looking for a place in life. Lately the Pilsner style that I gave up as I matured to better craft brews has caught my eye again.

Scarlet is looking for "her place in life," and Bob is tolerating a mediocre stateside marriage. Both separately and together, they live the experience of the American in Tokyo. Bob and Charlotte suffer both confusion and hilarity due to the cultural and language differences between themselves and the Japanese.

There are differences in the Czeh Pilsner style that will take me a lot more time and experience to appreciate. The aroma is the formost part lost in translation (check the top reviews). For now, I too am probably lost in translating this style. I need to head to Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic and maybe even go back in time a couple hundred years. For me both equally impossible.

A nice appearing clear yellow pour with a medium head thinning quickly. Good carbonation keeps fine beading going for at least 1/2 hour. Beer changes and looses its clean finish as it approaches room temp. (similar to US - Bud)

Clean taste of grain and some hop flavor plays with my tongue. A lythe body and interesting semi-round mouthfeel until I lingered to long and let it get flat.

As the relationship between Bob and Charlotte deepens, they come to the realization that their visits to Japan, and one another, must soon end. Or must they?

This abouts describes my indecision about the Czech Pils style.
Do I seek out more Czech Pils examples? Marynka Pils, Bedele, Cerna Hora, Starobrno or Samson. Or do I return and learn this style?

Very Drinkable have another couple glasses and. . .
"Enjoy your fright."

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%

Czechvar pours a clear, golden color. A 1/4" off-white head forms and fades fast. Moderate carbonation; little lacing. The malty sweetness in the aroma is balanced very well with the citrus and mild pine aromas from the hops. A faint apple smell can also be found.

The inital taste is quite sweet; the malt flavor is very evident. Right after that, the hops kick in, providing a bitterness that complements the malt quite nicely. The taste is what one would expect from a good pilsener: simple and uncomplicated, yet executed very well.

The mouthfeel is thin (as would be expected for a pils); however, the finish is exceptionally crisp. The residual bitterness left by the hops is mild and pleasant.

I've never had a Czech lager before, and the difference between it and American macro lagers is very evident. This is a great example of what a real pilsener is, and how much it has been corrupted by megabreweries throughout the world.

3.3/5  rDev -8.3%

Appearance: Translucent golden blonde, with almost a greenish hue. The fizzy cloud of head calmed down quickly, but from start to finish tiny effervescent bubbles seemed to come out of the bottom of my glass, like a champagne.

Smell: Freshly cut grass Saaz. This is what a lager is supposed to smell.

Taste: Not very malty, but the herbal hop finish has just enough bite to make you come back for more. Light mouthfeel, but still refreshing and enjoyable, when you're in a lager mood, which happens to me from time to time.

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

Pale yellow amber body with a frothy head which sinks back to nothingness very quickly. Only lightly carbonated from the looks of things, and overall quite standard looking.

Sweaty leather is the immediate smell on the nose. I'm trying to detect other nuances but that really overpowers. As it warms a little, a little sweetness creeps in, and a bitter fruit hoppiness is revealed. It's actually rather pleasant after a while.

Mmm. Quite a pleasant flavour, peppery hops laced with a sweetness that's a little bit indescribable. It's not quite from malt, it's more like a fruitiness. Very drinkable, the ending is quite dry and very refreshing.

Yeah. Nice. Quite enjoyable. I could drink a fair few of these happily.

2.96/5  rDev -17.8%

Appearance - This beer pours a bright golden color, with a huge creamy white head. It is crystal clear. This came in a green bottle which I purchased in San Antonio, so I suspect that it is skunked.

Smell - Crisp smelling, with that characteristic lager aroma. Whoops, too bad I was correct about the skunky or "catty" smell lurking in there.

Taste - Crisp tasting as well, and pretty clean for the most part. Sweetness lingers in the background. This one seems to be skunked because it has some not-so-clean flavors that crop up mid-palate.

Mouthfeel - This beer has decent body. It is easy to remember that this is not your daddy's lite beer.

Drinkability - Okay, but not particularly inspring due to a less than pleasant aftertaste. I don't really want another, unless I could get a fresh one.

Comments - I stronly suspect I got a beer that was not fresh. I am also not a big pilsner fan, but the particular beer I got was disappointing.

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Had this at a beer tasting recently. Pours a slightly golden color with a small head that dies off quickly and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma has a grainy character with a slight hoppiness. The flavor is very smooth with some slight caramel malts and a bitterness from the hops. I'm thinking Saaz. Has a very nice body and drinkability is really good.

4.4/5  rDev +22.2%

700 hundred years of brewing experience? Thats impressive.

Pours a deep gold with modest head and lacing. Theres lots of bubble trails in the carbonation. The aroma is of biscuity malt, oranges and floral hops. The taste is full of juicy malts, with lots of fruit notes. A generous amount of Noble hops give herbal and grassy balance. This is one incredibly well balanced beer. The finish is bitter and herbal. The mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied with delicately prickly carbonation.

This beer is the ultimate session lager, its rich yet soft and understated. Its more malt accented than Pilsner Urquell, with a more delicate hop character. It exceeded my expectations, I cant believe I didnt try this earlier.

Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.