Budweiser Budvar - Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

good

good

Budějovický Budvar, n.p. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Exported to the US as Czechvar.

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Budvar Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

500ml bottle poured into pint glass sept14 2009

A Cystal clear golden yellow with a fast falling white head that leaves no lace. Lots of bubbles in this one it looks very alive.

S Nice malt and floral hops with a hint of lemon.

T Tastes as it smells only stronger, quite nice with some faint grassy tones I did not smell.

M Light and crisp with good carbonation and a little bite.

D No real problems with this one overall it's worth picking up.

A I was a little confused by this one, not the beer but all the names attached too it. It's good too know all the people who order a Budweiser overseas might drink a decent beer unexpectedly .

wordemupg, Sep 15, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

Nice Brussels lace with small uniform sized bubbles that dissipate fairly quickly, which is typical of a Czech Pils.
Slightly darker than a Pilsner Urquell.
Perceivably more saaz hop aroma and malt sweetness than a P.U.
The increased presence of malt and saaz hops in the aroma is also evident in the flavor.
Notably more alcohol than a P.U., but not overbearing.
P.U. is 4.4% ABV and a Czhechvar is 5.0% ABV.
It has a very smooth mouthfeel with a good balance of hop bitterness and malt sweetness.
Pilsner Urquell is the beer I drink most often because it is usually available and is reasonably priced just under $8 per six pack.
I score most examples of Pilsner Urquell between a 42 to a 44 out of 50, with the fresher examples scoring slightly higher.
After A/B ing the P.U. and Czechvar side by side, I detect a note of soap like flavor present in the P.U. that is not present in the Czechvar.
I have detected this soap like character in other beers I have judged in the past.
The soap like flavor is commonly associated with the use of hops that are not extra fresh.
I believe the example of Czechvar I sampled to be in the 45 to 46 out of 50 range.
There was one more six pack at the Publix grocery store for $8.99 plus tax.
I think I'm going to go back and purchase it.

BJCP, Sep 12, 2009

11.2oz bottle poured into a mug.

A: Straw-colored body. Big puffy head, but it doesn't leave much lacing.

S: Bready malt and noble hops.

T: Clean hoppy bitterness, sweet bready malt, a bit of lemon.

M: Light-bodied and fairly bubbly.

D: An outstanding session lager. Leagues ahead of that other Budweiser.

BarrelO, Sep 09, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured into straight pint glass. Poured a clean, clear golden yellow color with 1-1/2 inches of sharp white head that dissipated semi-quickly, leaving minimal lacing.

A pleasant, grainy aroma is slightly spoiled by a hint of skunkiness, perhaps due to the green bottle. A very pleasant, balanced and nicely hopped flavor glides across the tongue.

The body is what pilsners should be, light but not weak or watery. Drinkability is very good, downing several wouldn't be any trouble at all.

Overall, a very good example of the style. I would very much like to try these near the source, I suspect it would be excellent.

beertunes, Sep 07, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -11.9%

Sold as Czechvar.
12 oz bottle poured into a chilled pint glass.

A - A golden yellow color with a two fingers of white head that lasted a few minutes.

S - Good malt with hop balance in the aroma with a hint of skunk.

T - You can taste the sweet malt and also bitter hop. Balanced floavor

M - Average lager feel. Average body. Medium carbonation. Nice finish.

D - Drinkable but only one per evening.

ProfessorCJ, Sep 02, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

11.2 ounce bottle - $1.49 at Total Wine & More in Atlanta, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a bright, clear, golden body with a medium-large, white head, though it quickly settles down to a thin, quarter inch layer.

Smell: Lightly sweet-scented barley with a hint of dough gently yields to some soft, spicy Saaz notes.

Taste: A light, sweet maltiness with a doughy bent to it kicks things off followed by a balancing touch of spicy, grassy Saaz hops and bitterness. Minor hint of lemon verbena. Little murmur of diacetyl butteriness in the background. Dry finish with that Saaz spiciness riding out into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Worth a try. Fairly tasty, easily drinkable -- it's a nice little beer.

ChainGangGuy, Aug 28, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -12.7%

This is a pretty good beer overall though more akin of a bitter Helles than a Pils the way I know it.

Colour is amber with solid 3 cm white head

Smell is of hops and faint honey and floral notes

Taste is much the same but mouthfeel is very refreshing and crisp

Quite drinkable!

DerBayer, Aug 26, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

Packaged as Czechvar.
500ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Poured a golden colour with a decent 1" head that only lasted a couple minutes. Lacing is pretty much non existent.

S - Smells like beer. Good malt & hop balance in the aroma with a hint of citrus (or maybe it's a hint of skunk).

T - Sweet malts, a light sourness and bitter hops. Just the right balance as neither are dominating the flavour.

M - Pretty average Lager feel. Medium body. Medium carbonation. Feels heavy at times. Lacks that Pilsner crispness.

D - It's quite drinkable. I've easily enjoyed a few of these in one evening.

If only American Budweiser was as good as this...

decimator, Aug 23, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -18.8%

I may need to give this beer another chance. I hope I just got a bad bottle....

Drinkability - I wouldn't want another from this batch but I'll give it a second shot soon.

Appearance - clear and golden with a thin head that disappears completely in about 5 minutes. The carbonation is low.

Smell - The best before date is June 2010 and this is August 2009. Unfortunately, the skunk pissed in this bottle before they capped it. My wife was standing about 4 feet away, facing the opposite way, and could smell it. I'll re-review this beer soon from another batch to give it another chance.

Taste - Mild and sweet malt with low bitterness

Mouthfeel - The carbonation is too low but the beer could be refreshing.

ecoastman, Aug 15, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

Serving type - 16.9 fl oz (1/2 liter) bottle.

Appearance - A dark golden, almost amber beer with visible carbonation.

Smell - A delightful hop aroma with a bit of that Pilsener "skunkiness".

Taste - Moderately hoppy, but well balanced by malts. Crisp, and refreshing. The skunk aroma doesn't make it's way into the actual flavor of the beer so much.

Mouthfeel - Medium-light - Medium body. Crisp, yet smooth. What a Pilsener should be like.

Drinkability - Pretty good. Definitely sessionable, but not a slammer (This beer is too good for that anyway).

Overall - By far, my favorite Czech Pilsener. Now if only the American Budweiser was like this. I'd be drinking it all the time. A great, and inexpensive beer.

Flightoficarus, Aug 13, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -16.1%

This beer was poured into a pint glass. When first pouring the beer out the amount of foam that it gave off was a good inch and a half. The aroma is a skunky aroma that greets the nose. The coloration of the beer is that of a yellowed brown. The taste of the beer has the skunky taste but also has tones of a hoppiness. Overall a decent beer for the summer months.

Tolnik, Aug 13, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -15.5%

A: Poured from a "Czechvar" bottle with a "best before" date of 12/2/09. Tasting side-by-side with a Pilsner Urquell. Golden color with a quickly-dissipating white head that left no lacing on the glass. Virtually identical to the Urquell, maybe just a shade lighter in color.

S: Skunky. What else can I say? It's that typical, European skunky beer smell. The Pilsner Urquell also has that smell, but to a lesser degree.

T: Mildly bitter on the palate, with little-to-no bready midtaste, and virtually no aftertaste. By comparison, the Pilsner Urquell I am comparing it with has an ever-so-much sweeter maltiness to it.

M: Thin, with a little bit of fizziness. Pilsner Urquell seemed to coat the mouth a bit more, but both are a bit thin.

D: I could see having a few of these, I suppose, but if I had to choose, I'd take the Pilsner Urquell. I got tired of smelling the Skunkiness in the Czechvar every time I had a sip. The Pilsner Urquell, by comparison, was less skunky to begin with, and lost the smell after a while. It also had that slightly sweet component of taste which balanced the hoppiness nicely.

btcook007, Jul 31, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from 16.9 oz bottle into a pint glass. This is a "Czechvar" with a best before date of 3/2/2010.

Appearance: translucent golden color with a thick but quickly-dissipating head. Left nice lacing on the glass.

Smell: a notable hops aroma. There was also a bit of skunkiness when I first poured which mostly dissipated after a short while.

Taste: nicely bitter but well-balanced. I am happy to say the slight skunkiness did not affect the flavor. There's not a lot of complexity here, but that's usually not what I ask of a pilsner. It's not a bad flavor, though.

Mouthfeel: medium-to-light body with a reasonable amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: like a good pilsner, this rates pretty high on the drinkability scale, though I might get tired of the skunk smell each time I open a bottle.

flagmantho, Jul 31, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -10%

Pours a nice fizzy straw color, very clear, with only a little head

The aroma is that typically lightly skunked imported European green bottled lager smell. The freshness date says I have until 01.06.2010, so no hurry. Other than that it's herbal hops and malt and not much more.

The taste is a nice sweet juicy bready pale malt against a zesty saaz hop flavor with a touch of lemongrass. Nice, clean finish. Not overly bitter, mildly spicy in the aftertaste.

Medium to light body with decent carbonation.

Yeah, it's a good enough beer and I'll bet it really shines when fresh but it's not something I see myself rushing back to drink again.

MeisterBurger, Jul 31, 2009

1 pint 9 oz bottle poured into a Pilsner glass. Best by 5.11.2010

A - Czechvar pours a bright straw yellow with minimal bubbles, a small white head with low retention and no lacing. All that's left is a little ring.

S - Pure skunk butt-hole is evident from this beer even on the opening and pour. In the background, far, far background, I smell mild malts and hops, both too light to distinguish anything besides the ingredient itself.

T - Light pils malts are overshadowed by a dry and slightly bitter hop flavor. No distinguishing characteristics and a touch skunky. I doubt it to be light-struck based on age and location.

M - Crisp and light with a dry mouthfeel, a refreshing quality and a harsh carbonation bite to the finish.

D - While this beer isn't terrible, it certainly doesn't warrant mass consumption and I certainly won't be getting it again but it's refreshing for the time-being and drinkable at lease.

BeerFMAndy, Jul 30, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -3%

Czechvar

11.2oz bottle with a Best Before date of 1.14.10?

nice appearance, very clean looking, almost no head

malty smell with only very faint hop aroma

good crisp taste with smooth mouthfeel

goes down nice and smooth so very drinkable.

I liked it - reminds me of my time spent working (and drinking!) in EMEA.

JBmadera, Jul 29, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +31.6%

The best way to describe this brew is as such: If God had you over for a beer, this is a lot like what he would pull out of his fridge. Like your favorite fizzy yellow beer, but better in every way.

The appearance is outwardly unremarkable, yellow like any other similar beer you would pour into a glass. What sets it apart is the continuous bubbling, like some sort of glorious alcoholic aquarium.

The smell is well-balanced and appetizing, on the malty side but a little grassy and pleasantly skunky in turns.

The taste sets this one apart. Difficult to describe, as nothing is distinct about it. It's just good. Sweet at first and crisp on the end with some hop bitterness. The mouthfeel fits, light and refreshing, with those bubbles readily apparent.

Drinkability? Hell, I'm gonna have another one right now.

If you have friends that claim to not care what they're drinking, hand them one of these. They will see the light.

IPhantom, Jul 26, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +28.8%

I had it on-tap in at a bar in Oslo. They had many imported beers mostly from Europe but, also a few American micro-brews. Since, I live in Costa Rica I don't get a chance to try different beers so it was nice to have something new.

It was served in a pint glass and had a one finger head which wasn't impressive. I didn't look when it was poured since, I was talking to a friend and the bartender was pouring a few beers so I didn't really get a chance to see it's true head. Of course, the appearance wasn't anything special but, I is a little more of an amber color than most pilseners.

The nose wasn't strong but, clean like the taste. The most prominent taste was that of hops and a less prominent taste of malt and floral flavor. It wasn't bitter at all, it's one of those beers that make you want to take another sip. Also, it was more on the thin side but, not completely. I would recommend this beer. I didn't have another one because, I wanted to try Mack, a Norwegian beer which is brewed in the northern-most brewery in the world.

DV8HARD, Jul 25, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a light golden color with one inch of white head that quickly settles to a thin cap. Spotty lacing is left on the glass. Has a strong, unmistakable aroma of Saaz hops. Spicy and herbal in quality. The hops bring it in the flavor as well with a potent herbal component. The malt really does not play a part in the flavor. Bitterness is high for a typical pilsener. Finishes extremely dry. I like my pilseners dry and hoppy so I really enjoyed this one. Could use a little balance from the malt. Light body with abundant carbonation. Could tone down the carbonation a little. Extremely drinkable with one likes Saaz hops. I could see myself enjoying these by the .5 liter mugs on a hot day.

morimech, Jul 23, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

On tap in Prague on some random place with outdoor seating.

Decent 2 finger head.

Served in .5 liter glass. Straw color, some carbonation. Very little aroma, maybe some hops.

Taste wasnt too bad, nothing outstanding. Absolutely better than the Bud in the states. Theres some hop presence and its easy to drink. If this were available as is in the states I would use this as a gateway dru.. uh beer to better styles.

I feel like the alcohol percentage was higher, I dont normally get loopy after a half pint of 5% beer, and I ate at the same time, maybe dehydrated.

nriech, Jul 23, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -34.9%

Pint at Three Good Things in El Segundo tonight for four dollars, was in the mood for a beer and this was about as interesting as their selection got, color is a light golden yellow, creamy one inch white head, not much retention, no lacing, aroma is very weak and has some skunkiness, yeast, light grain, grass, and maybe some citrus, taste starts off light with some grain, watered down in the middle, finish is yeasty and grainy, pretty crisp at first but not once it warms, chewier by the end but this is meant to be a refreshing pilsner and it does not really achieve that, slightly chewy and watery mouthfeel, thin bodied, way too much carbonation, taste does not last, goes down easy and does even seem five percent, light and not much to it, drinkability is good but flavor suffers as a result, little better than the standard Budweiser and also different in many ways, although I do see many similarities as well, would not drink again, not recommended

Floydster, Jul 21, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Pours a dark amber with a small head white head that quickly leaves. Not all that impressed. Very transparent with some carbonation popping up sporadically.

S - Initial smell was...urine. After a few more wiffs I got more of a grassy smell that wasn't quite appealing, but definitely not revolting.

T - Taste is surprisingly strong. Very sweet and malty. Hops come through too, but I had to look for it a little more than I did the sweetness. Nice, refreshing, grassy taste that isn't too strong.

MF - The carbonation in this beer really stands out. Gives the taste a nice edge but doesn't quite do so well for the mouthfeel.

D - This beer feels light, crisp, and refreshing. Definitely sessionable.

MikeBrandman, Jul 19, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -43.2%

Czechvar

I poured into a pint glass to a short lived white head. It is golden yellow and clear. I immediately got a skunk beer smell, even worse than Heineken. I do get a sweet smell after I get over the awful skunk smell. The taste is worse than the smell. I taste metal and I think there is actually a hint of skunk ass. I have never tried skunk ass, but this has to be a close equivalent. I was offered two of these and I am definately glad I only took one. I'm sure its better in the Czech Republic, so they may as well keep it there.

buschbeer, Jul 18, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

Even better than the draft budvar. Had this on a train on route to Prague. Perhaps the most outstanding characteristic is the aromo, which is as pronounce as any pilsner I've had and so much different from its american namesake. Would recommend to anyone who comes across it.

I ordered a bottle in a us bar, amsterdam ale house, and although it wasn't as good as the belgian original, it was actually very good.

david18, Jul 15, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -28%

11.2 oz bottle into a pint.

A - Clean light golden color - very filtered, no hazing. Head formation is strong, light white, and well retained.

S - Light pilsner sweetness combined with hops, and just a bit of "skunk" from light struck beer.

T - All pilsner malt through the early and mid-streams, with only the lightest bitterness showing up. Towards the end I detect the hops edge combined with a very potent skunking. Not much aftertaste here - only a light pilsner sweet cling.

M - Moderate to light body - in line with a czech pils. Not strong in terms of carbonation bite either.

D - Easy drinking. If the flavor didn't taste like crap, it would go down easily. ABV is manageable.

This seems like a beer that is a victim of extended "shelf aging" in a green bottle. Blech.

katan, Jul 11, 2009
Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.