Follow our progress ...

Budweiser Budvar | Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

Budějovický Budvar, n.p.
Czech Republic | website

Style: Czech Pilsener

Exported to the US as Czechvar.

Added by grdahl on 06-22-2001

Reviews: 772 | Ratings: 1,397
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

This one seems to define "pilsner" for me. I had to try it after hearing how it's the beer that was "stolen" from the Czechs, even though they're probably laughing at us for the fermented rice we so commonly drink.

Golden in color with a loose and airy head. The taste pervaded my nose like few others. I'm not a huge fan of pilsners but this one fits the role pretty well.

3.73/5  rDev +3.3%

Nice pilsner beer. Frothy head that stays. Nice spicy Saaz hop aroma is evident. Fizzy, yellow with lighter body than Pilsner Urquell (and no butteriness--which can no longer be found in PU, either) . This brew is drier and less malty than PU. Dry finish with a spicy hop flavor lingering in the aftertaste. A very clean, slick, "lagery" beer. Pretty good stuff.

4.08/5  rDev +13%

served in 12 oz. green bottle
this is a great pilsener beer. no skunkiness at all in my 6-pack, despite the green bottles. this is a highly drinkable beer. i could drink a lot of these, especially on a hot day. great saaz hops taste gives it nice flavor. not malty, but exotic hops taste is really really good. pours a beautiful golden color. i highly recommend this for anyone who wants to try an authentic czech pilsener. even macro-swill drinkers will like it.

3.97/5  rDev +10%

500 ml can with a freshness date on the bottom of the can, “Budweiser” on the can … lots of controversy.

Appearance: Fast foam in the glass, decent lace leftover and the clarity is fine with a shiny golden colour.

Smell: Slight grassy grain with a thick pale malt sweetness and hints of spicy floral hop.

Taste & Mouthfeel: A one way maltiness pulls in grassy and grain flavours all the way through, good crispness within the moderate body. Lemon zest spicy hop goes a touch herbal and stings the tongue slowly with bitterness. A doughy malt hints middle to end underneath the spicy hop. Dry finish and clean at that.

Notes: This is clearly a different beer compared to our Czechvar, if not ingredients than something in the packaging? I’d say it is better but not by much. A very clean and spicy pils.

4.12/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear and bright golden color. Decent carbonation. The head is white colored and leaves a thin lace around the glass. On the nose there is a herbal aroma, noble hops, and a grassy aroma. Medium body and a smooth and slightly tingly mouthfeel. On the palate the flavors consist of hops, lime, grassy, nice bitterness, crisp dryness, peppery, grainy and herbal. Emm, a most excellent pilsner. Interesting and full flavored...overall a tasty brew

3.71/5  rDev +2.8%

This poured with a fluffy white head that settled post-haste. Wonderful brilliant gold in the Pilsner glass. A light touch of skunkiness noted when first poured gives way to a mild malt sweetness and a subtle grassy character. Taste is a soft maltiness that morphs into a very pleasing laid back hop bitterness, gentle carbonation pleases the palate quite nicely. Finishes up mild and delicate, malt and hop coming together in perfect harmony...I really like this one, dare I say moreso than the once-great-but seems-to-have-slipped-in-the-character-dept. P. Urquell. I'll bet this is fantastic on draught. Now if they'd only send their "Bud Super Strong Lager" here!

3.86/5  rDev +6.9%

Yummy.
I got this beer in a brown bottle and was greeted with a hit of skunk when I opened it but overall, a nice smell. Its a nice pale straw colour with a sligthly frothy head at first that laces the glass throughout.

Taste is good, a nice solid pilsner that I will come back to again and again. Suprisingly low in bitterness this beer is very easy to suck back in mass quantities.

One of my new favorite pilsners.

3.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a pale golden straw color with a large foamy white head that dissipates into a heavy lace. Nose is fresh malts and grains with some strong herbal notes. Not skunky at all despite being in a green bottle. Taste is sweet malts up front followed by some light citrus and herbal notes. Spicy and bitter hops come through in the finish, which is crisp and dry. A very nice pilsner!

3.72/5  rDev +3%

Typical golden lager color, white head thinnined out but lasted pretty well, very little lacing. Malty, bready and slightly sweetish taste. Saaz hops are nice and subtle, fairly smooth brew. Decent drinkable brew when in the mood for a lager. This type of beer really does not do much for me anymore and I always end up wishing I had an ale.

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

Golden colored pils with normal head for this type of beer. It doesn't smell particulary much and the taste is very neutral. Not that it's a bad thing that it doesnt taste much. I think that's the best with this beer, it tastes really good and clean. This is an easy drinkable beer for everyone.

3.33/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a clear golden color with a pure white head that fades right away to a thin layer fed by the carbonation. Malty aroma, toasted bread smell too. Taste is clean, slightly sweet, with a little hop bite. Pretty well balanced. Seems a little dry by mid-glass, but still very refreshing. Average mouthfeel with decent carbonation for the style. Leaves a very slight aftertaste, but overall pretty drinkable.

4.8/5  rDev +33%

color = bronze amber, medium head, thick foam, light carbonation

aroma = hoppy, sweet, pleasant yeasty hints of bread dough

taste = sweet, hoppy but not TOO hoppy. More delicate if poured in comparion to Pilsner Urquell, a delicious Pilsner beer. Smooth mouthfeel, light body. Close to perfection for my taste buds, I've really enjoyed my first taste of this. More, please!

Sometimes the world works in strange ways and I wind up tasting Czechvar and AB Budweiser practically side by side. Usually I would avoid both these beers though for different reasons.

I was at friend's house where we were meeting up to head down to the Eagles play-off game. I was offered a beer with canned Bud being the only choice; rather than being a snob I happily accepted. The review on that will be in the appropraite place.

The very next morning I was at another friend's house where he asked me if I ever tried Czechvar, replying negatively, he gave me a warm bottle to take with me. My reason for not ever buying this beer, either personally or professionally, is due to the green bottle. Why risk getting a skunky beer? The bottle I had was in good conditon with not even a hint of skunkiness.

Budwar aka Czechvar reminded me a lot of Victory Prima Pils, especially the ending tastes, which was definitely very hoppy but in a wet rather than dry way.

This is a very nice beer. It seems very much the epitomy of the style and rightly deserves to be the standard that other pilsners are measured against. If I was in the Czech Republic, I'd drink this all the time. But since I'm in the USA, I'll buy one of many equally good, locally produced pilsners.

3.23/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours a gold colour topped by a poor head. Average carbonation and no lace on the glass as you drink this beer. Regular pilsener aroma and taste. ABV is 5.0% and goes down quite easily especially with food (probably the only advantage). It was the first Czech lager i had and i got the wrong impression for Czech beers

4.82/5  rDev +33.5%

As a brewer with a particular appreciation for decoction brewed Czech malt and (zaatec saaz hops) this is the perfect pilsner. More delicate than Urquell and smoother than a good day. There is no end to the easy pleasure that this brew brings. In my estimation, nobody would dislike this beer. It is as complicated as you'll let it be. Simplicity is often the hardest achievable goal to admire. A smooth pour, followed by a very delicate hop aroma. The deep but discernible malt flavors surface while lightly masked by the saaz flavors. A smooth mouthfeel remains behind while reminding you to taste again. This shall be my desire to one day come close to duplicating. Cheers to Budvar!

Nose of cider mill donuts, green beans and pond edges. A honey coated biscuit mingles with steely hop through a draught and eventually funnels into a tart, tongue smacking pile of fresh leaves. A pleasing lace is left behind for entertainment as a glass is steadily drained. Weighty, but light, like concrete with wings. A class Pils enjoyable anytime.

3.16/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Better than average...appearance is a mid-light golden hue with a nice crown that lingered around disapating to a nice thick lace and glass ring....taste is just OK plus.....mild malty finish with slight after taste of the hops...I liked it....I think.....Yup, I did....

3.8/5  rDev +5.3%

It poured a nice medium golden color with very little foam. The taste was nice and smooth with just a hint of bitterness in the finish. I would buy this beer over Bud, anytime. This lager is my second favorite beer, that is for a lager so far.

4.35/5  rDev +20.5%

I really enjoyed this - a mild bitter taste and a definite lager finish. a great blend of Hops. The nose is a bit weak but is more than made up for in the taste. Don't let the Budweiser name fool you - this isn't the alleged crap beer from America. Oh no -this is an excellent lager and I highly recommend it.

After receiving an E-mail I feel obliged to add to my review. What I really liked about this beer was the crisp mouthfeel and the sharp hop flavor with no bitter aftertaste. The nose is well balanced with the flavor leading to a most satisfactory experience. The Carbonation was a bit high but not to high for my taste. I find this one a little hard to pass up when I am at the store. 4 out 5 times it ends up coming home with me.

What really amazes me is that the American Budweiser basically stole this recipe - but have managed to completely screw it up.

Apparently AB really has a tendency to do this. A little thing I learnt on the Heineken Brewery Tour in Amsterdam - The Clydesdale horses and Wagon logo was first used by Heineken in the 1700's about 100 years before AB existed. The reason is the larger horses were needed to actually pull the wagon and deliver the large wooden barrels of beer around the city. The Sr. Heineken’s widow actually drove the wagon that to this day with a team of horses sits in the stables in the 1st floor of the old Amstel Brewery just south of the red light district in Amsterdam

3.65/5  rDev +1.1%

12 oz. green bottle. Foil label with red writing.
Crystal clear yellow color. Darker than most pils. Fizzy, almost bubbly creamy head, then it evaporated. Thin covering stayed with the beer. Some sweet butterscotch smells initially then fade. Decent grain, and malt smells. Very much a standard Pilsener smells. Sour oder emerges more toward the bottom. Taste is very evenly sour,then light malt taste, some saaz hop bite. Sour grainy, old beer finish. Wet grass taste, but not Medium carbonation, light bodied. Overall an easy to drink and refreshing beer. Among the better pilseners I have had.

3.99/5  rDev +10.5%

Green bottle had a gold foil label covering cap and part of the neck. Expiration date was 07/2003. Didn't notice any ill effects to the taste or aroma as a result of being in a green bottle either. Poured a clear medium golden color with a white foamy head which disappeared to practically nothing after a few minutes. Color seemed a bit darker that most Pilsners. Aroma consisted primarily of a pleasant malt scent with Saaz hops present also. Crisp, smooth intriguing mouthfeel. Excellent balance of flavor that has a bready malt finish. This is a great Pils and definitely one I would recommend.

4.4/5  rDev +21.9%

A pretty excellent czech lager! Beautiful golden colour and a nice head on this puppy! A great beer to just drink, it is great on it's own and also complements most foods quite well. This beer has a nice mouthfeel and aroma and it tastes just like a lager should. Perhaps one of the most drinkable beers that I have ever encountered! Not as good as the hype suggest, but damn good none the less!

3.98/5  rDev +10.2%

14k golden body with a frothy white head that dwindles fairly quickly.
Sulphur, hay, sweet bready malts and saaz on the nose.
Taste begins on the sweet side. Miniscule hints of concord grape skins. Pils malts show through, along with grainy and bready notes. Not as dry up from as some, but the ample hops burst through at the finish to wipe things clean.
Lively, medium light body. As crisp as it needs to be.
A quaffer, to be certain.

3.61/5  rDev 0%

If it hadn't been for the green bottle effect this beer would have been a perfect 5 but...when will they learn? The brew itself was very surprising. I was sure to taste a lager copy of Pilsner Urquell (just by the look of it) so my expectations weren't that high. Mistake #1 (or should I say Rule #1) never judge a book by it's cover!
Impressive hop presence, a well rounded beer, especially for a 5%. This brew has more bite then alot of higher ABV's I've tasted. Nice bitterness almost soothing that brings you to the more then present after-taste which, again, soothes your palate and invites you, ever so softly, to have another sip.
In conclusion, this is a well balance beer that stays with you from start to finish...the way it should be!

3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

I love pils and this is a good one. Still not great but extremely good. Very reasonably priced for what you get. This beer is not overly strong on all the characteristics I personally like in a Czec Pils but it is very drinkable and a good knock off of the pisen style. Light golden color, slight floral hopping scent to the nose, starts crisp stays slightly tart yet malty and finishes dry with a little linering metalic after taste characteristic of Pisen style hopping.

I like this beer and at this price a case or two will replace the domestic pils in my varanda fridge next cottage season.

Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.