Budweiser Budvar - Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

good

Budějovický Budvar, n.p. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: grdahl on 06-22-2001

Exported to the US as Czechvar.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,317 | Reviews: 760
4.28/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

From what I understand, this is the beer from which Budweiser was originally modeled. I am unsure if this is true, but this was a great pilsner, nonetheless.

This was very crisp, clean, and refreshing, but Budweiser drinkers may be disappointed with this more European tasting lager. I would put this beer up against Pilsner Urquell, though it is less hoppy.

I could drink these all night.

3.06/5  rDev -15%

I'm noticing a disturbing trend in regards to many brews I sampled overseas. They just aren't living up to my recollection. Hmmm.

Poured an attractive golden color with a two inch white head. Smelled, and tasted, faintly of grass and a bit of floral/grapefruit hops (just a bit, mind you). The malt backbone, unfortunately, was slightly skunked.

Is my memory deceiving me?

2.43/5  rDev -32.5%

I picked this one up on a whim and in this case, there's something to be said for doing one's homework. This isn't necessarily a bad beer - it even has a somewhat refreshing quality to it - but it is incredibly average. At least with horrible beers there's something to make fun of. One area of note: the smell is kind of terrible.

3.83/5  rDev +6.4%

Best before feb 08, better drink this one before its really too late.

Pourred vigourously into a german weissbier glass, medium golden lager with a plump head that dissipated to a thin but present film on the beer.

Initial aroma is big on traditional hops and pale continental malt. Eventualy seems slightly grassy, a bit dull and faintly skunky. Flavor of simple yet delicious malt with a clean firm bitterness that balances very well with the maltyness of the brew.

Solid beer, I'll bet it would rank a couple of 5's if I could have gotten a really fresh sample.

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

bouteille verte de 500ml.

bière de belle couleur dorée plus foncée que la moyenne, la mousse avait totalement disparue après 5 secondes. nez malté sur fond de houblon, la bouche est amère (bonne présence de houblon) elle est très longue en bouche, et surtout très agréable.

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: Deep gold with a fizzy, white head.

Smell: Grassy with hints of butter and malt.

Taste: Very clean and balanced hop and malt character. Very straightforward brew.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body. Very smooth and natural mouthfeel.

Drinkability: This is a good brew that goes down very easy.

4.39/5  rDev +21.9%

Believe they sell this as Budvar in the Czech Republic. But after a dispute with Budweiser over thier names, there is no Anheiser Busch "Bud" sold in the Czech, and no Budvar sold here in the USA.

Here in the USA I picked up a six-pack of Czechvar in the hopes of reviving memories of my year in Prague. I've generally been disappointed with the pilsners I've picked up in the States since I've been back. Maybe it's been a while since I had a pilsner, but this tasted like one of the best I've ever had.

Thin head, golden yellow colored beer. Admittedly, it's not that inspiring to look at.

But there's a great pilsner smell with plenty of hops.

Then there's a slight hop bitterness in the taste. But it's well-balanced. There's a touch of sweetness and a clean aftertaste.

I could drink these all day, and may damn well drink them all weekend.

4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a brandy snifter (EKU 28 glass).

Appearance- Beer pours a golden clear with carbonation rising from tiny bubbles from the bottom. Head is fairly minimal and lacing clings to the sides of the glass.

Smell- Crisp clean Czech Saaz with a refreshing malt backbone. Clearly pilsner malt all the way.

Taste- Clean, refreshing, crisp, sweet with pilsner malt and Saaz. This is quite possibly the best pilsner of all time. No beechwood here! I can see why they call this the king of beers ;-)

Mouthfeel- High carbonation, light bodied, lingers with a crispness on the lips that can't be beat.

Drinkability- Now the drinkibility here is what the Anhauser-Busch interpretation is not. Actually drinkable. I could drink this on a hot summer day or even a cold winter night like right now. A fine step away from pilsners I have reviewed in the recent past.

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

This beer seemed to me to be much like other lagers I've enjoyed. It's a light bodied flavor with a fast finish. Perhaps the finish flavor dissolved faster than I hoped it would giving this beer a thinner mouthfeel than other lagers of the same style I've tasted.
Nevertheless this beer is one that can be enjoyed when one is not in the mood for the heavier constitutions of stouts or ales. This beer will come to mind during summer months...

3.74/5  rDev +3.9%

A: pours a deep, clear gold with a 2 finger bubbly head that reduces to a thin film and a few rising carbonation streams - very little lace

S: beautiful floral hops and a nice caramely, malty nose

T: nice, very smooth grassy flavour with a touch of spice on the finish

M: light body, slightly creamy texture, good carbonation and nice spicy finish.

D: I really enjoyed this beer. It's crisp, grassy flavour makes it highly refreshing and the spicy finish makes it truly fit in with the classic czech pilsener style. I could easily put a few of these down in a day. As a matter of fact, I think I'll have another...

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

pours a clear golden color with a two finger white head that fades almost immediately to the beer with no lace at all. aromas of faint hops. bready malt with a slight metallic hop finish. light crisp dry mouthfeel and good carbonation. something new to try but i don't think i'll buy again have had much better.

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%

Served from an 11 fl oz bottle (best before 04.03.08).

Appearance--Golden amber color. Little carbonation--basically very flat. 1.5 inch head when first poured into inverted cone shape pilsner glass.
Smell--Almost left this blank because there is almost none from the time I opened it through warming up.
Taste--Have to leave it on the tongue for a long time to really get much taste out of it (it may be that I'm drinking it too cold, but remained the same as I drank). Very little taste on the upper palette. Some floral flavor from the Saaz hops. Doesn't have the pleasant wheaty taste of a Pilsner Urquell. Pleasant and (appropriately) light but not inconsequential hops bitterness at the base of the tongue.
Mouthfeel--Very light, goes down smoothly, but there isn't much substance to it. You have to pay attention to notice you're drinking it.
Drinkability--Goes down very easily, but not much to it. Would be a nice accompaniment to fried calamari by the ocean on a summer's day.
Overall--I'm disappointed. I first tried it in 1995 in M*A*S*H (More Alcohol Served Here) in Tel Aviv in my first transcendental beer experience. This may be that this was just a contrast to the awful Israeli and imported (Amstel) beers I had been drinking around then, as well as the forgettable and unsubtle Australian beers (Toohey's Old, New; Foster's Ice...ugh) of my first few years of uni.

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Pours up straw colored with golden highlights. The thick white head dissipates slowly.

S - It has a malty smell with hop accents.

T - Has a sweet flavor, not dry. The hops are very subtle, and almost not noticeable. Leaves a tiny bit of hop bitterness on the back of the tongue.

M - While the taste is thin, the mouthfeel is not. Well carbonated.

D - Very good. Nice beer. Very easy to drink.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

On tap at the Astoria Beer Gardens

I was underwhelmed here. It was clean and there were some hops at the end taste, but it was too similar to a Euro pale lager. The malt was very clean and a bit sweet with only a bit of actual grain character. The hops weren't even noticable at first. I will at least say this paired nicely with my roasted pork and sauerkraut.

2.9/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Picked up one from ABC after eying this beer down for over a month , born on date says 1.24.08...I think I got a bad beer here, it does not smell right at all...I know this beer is not meant to smell like this particular one

A: Transparent straw colored with a small head that leaves no lacing along the glass. Not too special so far.

S: Smells like a cheap macro lager, very wheaty and skunky

T: Very wheaty and unchecked, picking up a lot of metal...very adjuct-like

MF: The one thing that was not wrong with this beer is its mouthfeel...crisp, clean, with a decent wheat aftertaste Due to the taste/smell, one is plenty...Looking at other reviews, I mostly likely picked up a bad bottle somehow...It was a waste of $1.61

3.93/5  rDev +9.2%

So this is the original Budweiser beer. But you won't recognize it under that name because of legal issues here in the States. Remember the name "Czechvar" and you're set to seek this out. On to the beer:

Poured into my Pilsner Urquell glass, Czechvar is a light golden straw colred lager with a rocky head. Distinctive aroma of chiles, pepper, and the inevitable skunkiness. Moderate hops, sweet, and notes of honey and crackers. The beer has a soft and silky feel to it, not fizzy at all. A dab of bitterness is left on the tongue after each sip, but it's pretty clean compared to the number of green bottled Euro lagers.

A classic in my opinion, a world-famous beer to be tried by all.

4.3/5  rDev +19.4%

A clear, golden beer with a thock, creamy head that leaves a fine lacing on the glass.

Smell is dominated by the hops, raw hops that leave very little room for any other smell. There is some light pilsner malt and this is a little husky.

Taste is bitter and hoppy with the Saaz hops being raw and pretty bold. I would almost say this is a German hoppiness, but that would not be very respectfull towards the inventors of pilsner. The malt is very much a pils malt and it can just barely shine through the hop layer that is covering almost all taste. Body is medium and almost full for a pils, though it is not sweet. One of the best pilsner out there!

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

Green 12 oz bottle of Czechvar with foil cap wrap. Pours a nice golden color, white bubbly head faded pretty quickly, carbonation looks just right.

Aroma of Saltine crackers, orange peel, and floral hops, and just a tad of green-bottle skunk.

Smooth, was the first adjective I came up with on the first sip. I'd take this over american Budweiser any day (I know that's not saying a whole hell of a lot). Ever so slighlty creamy mouthfeel, with a tad of hop bite in the finish. Balanced, refreshing, and easily sessionable. I'll bet this one is most excellent on tap in the Czech Republic.

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%

Czechvar (AKA Budvar or Budweiser depending where you live),
pours a nice stiff head over clear yellow brew. Carbonation is very
active, and the nose is light barley malt, lager yeast, and a bit of hop
as well. Flavor is that light barley malt balanced out with herbal, slightly
peppery hops. Mouthfeel is light and crisp without being thin, and as
the hop fades in the aftertaste, it is replaced with a nice wheaty cracker
flavor. There's a lot more here than the last time I've had it. I've since
quit smoking, and that's made all the difference. It's a genuine classic,
well worth a try- but do try and get the freshest you can- it's still in green
glass.

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%

12 oz bottle with a best-before date 8 months in future. Bright clear copper-gold pour with a quickly fading head. Clean lightly malty-aroma, without the graininess found in some pils. Hops are faint in the nose. Taste is simple but pleasant, with lightly bready malt, moderate bitterness, and a clean finish. Lacks the hoppiness of the best pils, but no other flaws.

2.9/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

11.2 ounce bottle in a mixed sixer.

Vigorous pour yields a two finger white head over a clear light amber body with lots of streams of bubbles. Head fades fairly quickly.

Smell is a nice balance of cracker malt and floral-metallic hops. Not a very heavy smell, but nice.

Taste -- this reminds me why I'm not crazy about pilsners. Bitey bitterness immediately, then a bit of malt then a lot of belchy carbonation.

Mouthfeel is crisp up front, round at the back. Decent enough.

Easy to drink at 5.0%, but the question is "WHY?" It just doesn't taste that good.

Too heavy to be a thirst-quencher, not heavy enough to be interesting.

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 500 ml. bottle into a lager glass,Pours a golden yellow with good size white foamy head with little retention and no lacing.
Aroma is fresh green grass a little hint of skunk and musty.
Taste a little acidic,metallic fresh,hoppy with the end bitter and a touch of dryness.
Full to medium mouthfeel with good carbonation.
This beer is very easy to drink and is a very good session beer,i highly enjoyed it and do reccomend it.I myself will buy this one again,especially great for a hot summer day.

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours out a dark golden straw with a white head that drops to a ring.

Smell. Grainy, with some sweet maltiness and lemon tartness. Under that is just a touch of floral hops.

Taste. It is rich in the flavors it has, but still has a nice clean to it. The grain aroma seems refined in the flavor. I still do get a little bit of lemon citrus to the flavor as well. Seems to be on the dryer side with a little pepper to it. Aftertaste has a small toasted taste to it.

Mouthfeel. Body is medium with a little bit of crispness to it. Carbonation is quite tingly on my tongue.

Overall, a decent czech pils. I guess you can say this is one of the style defining beers, but i overall prefer some american alterations of the style. With that being said, this is still a good beer, a touch boring imho, but the body and flavor is enough to make it enjoyable.

2.9/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured a clear golden color with white head that dissipated rather quickly. Malty aroma that is not very dominant. Taste is malty also, with a bit of sweetness to it. This is not my preferred style and I did not find it that enticing. If I never had another I wouldnt feel like I was missing anything. Smooth, good mouthfeel.

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%

I've heard about this beer for a while. Overall very good, but the big drawback was a little skunk taste probably from the green bottle. I wish I could have had this when I was near the brewery, but I was too young and grandpa was to strict for that. I wish it was a little easier to find. Growing up in the Milwaukee area and living in St. Louis for a while, I am accustomed to lagers. I would rate this right up there with the Millers and Buds. I will drink this again but it was very expensive to have more than one.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.