2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Budweiser Budvar - Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

good

good

Budějovický Budvar, n.p. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Exported to the US as Czechvar.

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-19-2002)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Budvar Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,119 | Reviews: 736 | Show All Ratings:
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

2.63/5  rDev -27.3%

Undrinkable dry bitter pilsner. Light colour. Bit of malt after you get through the acidic. Mid-sip herb, grass and hay, metal. Grainy dry finish. Low carbonation in Canadian version. Had one in August 2005 that was strong carbonation and certainly worse.
Had this on tap at Chauncey Smith, in draft, in fall of 2009. It was better in smell, taste, mouthfeel, and that is the basis of my rating.

07-01-2004 01:53:14 | More by Sammy
jujubeast6000

Reviewed 8/3/2008 (bottle BB 05.04.09):

Pours a golden yellow colored body, with a big frothy head, very lasting. Has a very malty aroma, some graininess, and also some nuts. Has a somewhat dusty, and grainy taste, with a mineral watery palate. Refreshing.

03-18-2009 21:09:49 | More by jujubeast6000
CrazyDavros

Australia

2.63/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours deep gold with a small head that quickly fades to nothing.
Nose shows uber grassy/skunky hops at first. After this fades, loads of bready malt becomes apparent... craploads.
Similar flavours: bready, grainy malt, honey, and grassy, spicy hops.
Could use a bit more carbonation.

07-07-2011 07:55:11 | More by CrazyDavros
midaszero

Washington

2.65/5  rDev -26.8%

A - Clear golden body with no head

S - Malt and floral nose with some biscuit smell as well. A little hops

T - Lots of malts with a little bit of hops. Crisp taste but bitter and off after taste

M - Light medium body with medium carbonation

D - Didn't grab me. To bitter and not enough flavor to be enjoyable

11-22-2008 17:31:07 | More by midaszero
wheatyweiss

Wisconsin

2.68/5  rDev -26%

Poured from a "Czechvar" Bottle into a Pils glass.

Pours a light straw with no cloud. One finger head disappears immediately. Crystal clear.

Aroma is of light struck hops and crystal malt. The malt actually has a place on the nose here, the skunk hops do not overpower.

Flavor is husky, corny grain. Really corny, like a corn tortilla warmed over. Dusty and earthey, like a corn tortilla. Hops have the usual Czeck Pils skunky flavor, with a hit of sweet corn. Wow, corn is all I can say. Light struck skunky hops come in on the finish, more even than most Czech pils.

Light bodied and adequately carbonated.

Very different, more corn than I get from an American Macro, my tastes have been educated.
I honestly don't get the hype as in my opinion, this is honestly mediocre at best and quite possibly crap. It tastes more like adjuncts than anything from BMC.

02-28-2009 01:25:53 | More by wheatyweiss
DPMomutant

Missouri

2.7/5  rDev -25.4%

Pours a very light gold with a pretty good sized head. The head reduces moderately quickly and has a consistency that is fizzy on the sides but foamy in the middle. No lacing apparent here.

The initial smell was more like the typical green bottle (mine was green contrary to the picture, best until 6/2005) Euro-lager 'skunk' smell. I caught this after so much as opening the bottle. Past that, I am able to detect something of a bready smell and something I can best describe as metallic. After a couple of minutes either the 'skunky' smell is gone or I am numb to it. That will bring it back to respectable.

There isn't much taste up front, but in the middle and back I get some decent hop bitterness.

This beer gets some points for enjoyable, yet moderate carbonation and a smooth finish.

I would say that this beer is drinkable at the level of it not being harsh in alcohol or smoothness, but after this one I'm okay with not having another because it's just hard to get over that metallic smell.

It is possible I've just got a bad bottle, but beyond the initial smell (which went away) it didn't act like a skunked beer. I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll try it again someday and see if I can get along with it better.

10-25-2004 05:41:19 | More by DPMomutant
tubeboy

Maryland

2.7/5  rDev -25.4%

I went to the store to buy some Konig only to discover they were out of stock. I paid $7.99 for a six pack of Czechvar with a sell by date of 10-10-12. I'm always nervous about beer in green bottles but I figured this was fresh and something new to taste. The beer pours with a clear golden color and about 1 finger of head that quickly settles. I think this beer has already suffered from light exposure as it has a mild case of the skunks going. I imagine it smells and taste much better from a tap than a bottle. The taste and mouthfeel are decent for the style but the aftertaste is bitter and smelly. I won't buy it again.

01-22-2012 19:34:26 | More by tubeboy
BeerBelcher

2.75/5  rDev -24%

With the exception of its initially overpowering ultra-skunky aroma, I thought this was a rather good Bohemian Pilsner/Czech lager. However I still prefer Pilsner Urquell to this beer.

When I opened this beer, my wife (the non-beer drinker in the house) immediately asked if I smelled skunk. Upon opening the bottle, the methyl butyl thiol smell was overpowering - worse than any beer I've ever opened before. And this was a from a bottle with an expiration date of July 2007!

Oddly, the skunkiness seemed to retreat a bit after the beer sat in the glass a few minutes, and wasn't really reflected in the taste (unlike Beck's, which I believe relies on skunkiness for much of its aroma and taste profile). Flavor was much like Pilsner Urquell: Saaz hops with a pleasing, rich balancing malt character. Mouthfeel was unremarkable. Appearance was beautiful - sparkling gold with a fluffy white head.

With the considerable exception of the horrible smell that greeted me when I opened this supposedly-fresh bottle, I thought this was a pretty good beer.

01-25-2007 04:56:32 | More by BeerBelcher
ShireReeve

2.75/5  rDev -24%

Pour: Tulip glass.

Appearance: Clear and golden with a minimal amount of carbonation. I got just about no sign of a head and absolutely no lacing. Really quite disappointed with the appearance of this beer. I was hoping for something spectacular being that it is supposed to be the real “King of Beers”.

Smell: Honestly, a little skunky. I got some grassy malts at first and then light hops at the deepest part of the inhale.

Taste: Grainy malt initially and then some hoppy notes on the back end. Hops linger in the aftertaste.

Mouth Feel: Light and watery with a dry finish.

Overall: Kind of disappointed with this beer. I didn’t feel like I was drinking a good quality European beer. Will try this one again in the future just to make sure I didn’t get a bad apple.

09-03-2011 02:42:01 | More by ShireReeve
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.8/5  rDev -22.7%

For supposedly being so different than the inbev budweiser, I just don't see it.

Looks the same gold color with lots of clarity and carbonation. Aroma was sweet, corn like, faint hop presence to it.

Taste, refreshing, zesty almost lemon like resonance. Very light lemon, don't want you to think its anywhere near substantial. Prickly carbonation. Not much else to taste, tastes like adjunct beer. I'd tell someone to just get the king of beers budweiser, its cheaper, and not substantially different than what you get here.

01-20-2011 17:45:09 | More by Beerandraiderfan
TRICKYD1CK

France

2.8/5  rDev -22.7%

I can say with absolute certainty that this is the best Budweiser I have ever had.

Lolz.

With that said:

A - Didn't bother to pour this guy into a glass. Looks like a typical Czech pilsner. Is a typical Czech pilsner.

S - Smells slightly malty. Minimal aroma, though, since I didn't pour it into a glass.

T - Tastes just like Pilsner Urquel. Maybe I got lucky, but this definitely wasn't skunked like had been the worry of some other reviewers. Easy to drink. Malty, thin, refreshing, light.

M - Mmm. Fizzy. Feels like you're drinking seltzer water (and that's a good thing!).

O - Just what I expected, though I had hoped it would be some super awesome beer that I could joke about back home (I'm studying in Paris right now) when confronted with some "Bud." But instead, it's just a different style of mass-produced crud (albeit one that I enjoy more than the mass-produced crud that they make in the states). Congrats Czech Republic. Your Budweiser is better than ours. But then again, that's sorta like saying you have less of a history of racism or lower obesity rates than we do.

**Poured second half into a glass. Brought out some more of the malty, pilsner aroma, but made the beer razor-thin and completely dissipated its carbonation. I'd say stick to this one out of the bottle.

In finishing, I'll say that I really did enjoy this beer, but not because I thought it was interesting or made me grow as a beer drinker, rather that I'm a sucker for seltzer water, so the light, refreshingness of this guy, mixed with its bubblyness, contented me.

09-12-2011 22:09:05 | More by TRICKYD1CK
LiquidAmber

Washington

2.8/5  rDev -22.7%

Review from 7/2011 notes. Poured into a He'brew small shaker pint. Pours a pale gold-yellow amber. One finger head quickly dissipates, no lacing. Decent continual carbonation. Light aroma of wheat, sweet malt, very faint spiciness and hops. Taste starts adequately,with light sweet malt, very light hops, finishes abruptly with a faint memory of malt and very light hops. Not memorable or worth trying again.

03-15-2012 03:47:46 | More by LiquidAmber
KarlHungus

2.83/5  rDev -21.8%

Through out my life Bud drinkers have always told me that the Bud they drink is just the americanized version of the original Czech beer. As if the original were a magical mythical beer that could smote all others. So when I saw it I had to try it to find out whether they were right or just misinformed.

Pours a light copper color with a tiny creamy white head. Ample carbonation. Smells sweet, with a faint herbal hop presence. Taste is faint and a little toward the sweet side. Still, it is fairly well balance with some herbal hop taste. The aftertaste is sweet. The taste would be good if it weren't so faint. The mouthfeel is light with nice carbonation. This beer is very easy to drink with its light flavor and body. Overall, I believe most American macro drinkers would believe this to be the woulds gratest beer, because the flavor is far better than the Bud they drink. I, on the other hand, know pilsners can taste a lot better than this one does.

05-18-2005 18:14:37 | More by KarlHungus
fullsweep

United Kingdom (England)

2.83/5  rDev -21.8%

500 mL bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

I had high hopes for this lager, having read so many positive reviews of it. I'm not a huge lager fan, tending to prefer the rich English browns and English pale ales, stouts, etc. This was actually my first Czech.

Upon pouring, formed a nice thick head on top of a dark golden beer underneath.

Smell was quite mild, perhaps typical for a lager.

The initial taste was alright coming in, but there was a strong metallic presence as I swallowed, for the first few sips. Although this went away very soon, the presence was so strong at first that it largely colored the impression this beer would leave. Later sips revealed a decent--but not outstanding in any way--flavor.

There is no reason I wouldn't try this again, but I'd prefer another serving type if possible, particularly on tap.

12-18-2008 21:57:34 | More by fullsweep
Dogbrick

2.85/5  rDev -21.3%

So Budweiser made a halfway decent beer. Well Adam Sandler occasionally makes a halfway decent movie too. That doesn't make it a good movie, just a good Adam Sandler movie. Anyway, no one could argue that this is far better than a Bud, but so what, so are 99% of the other beers on the market. Standing by itself. this beer is average. Slightly darker than a standard Pils with an off-white thin head. Vaguely bitter. Mild malt finish. Really nothing spectacular.

10-16-2002 07:36:00 | More by Dogbrick
ColoradoBobs

Colorado

2.85/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

11.2 ounce bottle in a mixed sixer.

Vigorous pour yields a two finger white head over a clear light amber body with lots of streams of bubbles. Head fades fairly quickly.

Smell is a nice balance of cracker malt and floral-metallic hops. Not a very heavy smell, but nice.

Taste -- this reminds me why I'm not crazy about pilsners. Bitey bitterness immediately, then a bit of malt then a lot of belchy carbonation.

Mouthfeel is crisp up front, round at the back. Decent enough.

Easy to drink at 5.0%, but the question is "WHY?" It just doesn't taste that good.

Too heavy to be a thirst-quencher, not heavy enough to be interesting.

09-19-2007 02:39:51 | More by ColoradoBobs
thegodfather2701

2.85/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured this into a pint glass and it had virtually no head. It left no lacing to mention either. It smells slightly skunky with a touch of hops, but nothing overpowering. This beer does not have much flavor. It is bitter with a slightly grassy finish. There is not much aftertaste. The mouthfeel is thin and slightly carbonated. Overall, this beer was better than I expected it to be. It is a crisp and refreshing beer. I am not a big fan of this style, but I enjoyed this sample and could even see myself drinking this again.

01-26-2009 13:18:51 | More by thegodfather2701
biggmike

Mississippi

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured a clear golden color with white head that dissipated rather quickly. Malty aroma that is not very dominant. Taste is malty also, with a bit of sweetness to it. This is not my preferred style and I did not find it that enticing. If I never had another I wouldnt feel like I was missing anything. Smooth, good mouthfeel.

09-09-2007 15:34:10 | More by biggmike
tubacharlie

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%

A crystal-clear yellow color, this beer had almost no head when poured and it disappeared immediately. I mean, I looked away for a second, looked back and it was gone! Not even a ring around the collar. A bit of foam reappears briefly with each sip from a very tiny bit of carbonation that is seen emanating from below. Regardless of the looks, for some reason it bubbles up in the mouth and has a decent fizz factor. This is a phenomenon I don't recall experiencing in any other brew. Could be a weird batch, even though the best-by date is 5.10.11. Label is different too, so there may need to be an update on this one.

At first crack, the aroma of skunk cabbage recalled from my camping childhood in the Michigan woods jumped out at me. Not the most pleasant odor, it was a little foreboding, but like the head, it just disappeared! Nose in the glass reveals typical Euro metallic mineral scents, with a smattering of light hops. Nothing pronounced though.

Flavor-wise, it's a Bud (big surprise - not)! Light cereal malts and a bit of bitterness at the end as a reminder that it does contain all the essential ingredients. Nothing to write home about, but easily quaffed if you are thirsty, and slightly better tasting than its American copycat (although not as visually appealing due to the lack of a head).

Good enough though for sloshing back a grilled cheese sandwich, a burger and fries, or any other plain-Jane repast.

12-07-2010 04:35:00 | More by tubacharlie
Avagadro

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%

A: Straw/gold in color with excellent clarity. Lacing is lazy, and head is mediocre.

S: Malt, sulfur, and spicy hops are present in the nose.

T: Off-dry with notes of bread, fruit, and hops. There is also a slightly metallic note that is a bit off-putting.

M: Czechvar has the well rounded body that I have come to expect in a Czech pils. This example, however, is lacking the prickly carbonation that is an important piece of the puzzle.

D: A well made pils for sure, but no where near as good as Urquel. Nonetheless, give this one a shot.

06-17-2010 14:55:27 | More by Avagadro
puboflyons

New Hampshire

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%

From the green bottle dated 03.14.12. Sampled on June 9, 2011. Yes it is too bad it came in a green botle because that inevitable skunkiness reared its ugly head (or ugly nostril) as soon as I popped the foil covered cap. The pour was straw yellow with no head at all and dead carbonation. It was difficult to catch anything special in the aroma. Maybe a little hoppy thing. The body was thin. There were bits of malts and hops in the taste but my particular bottle was skunked to the max. So it was hard to give it a fair rating.

06-09-2011 23:57:14 | More by puboflyons
jed

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Presentation: Comes in a green, 33 cl bottle with a classy red, white, and gold label. Brewery information in Czech on the back — the sample is straight from a recent trip to the Czech Republic. Best by date of 9/1/2004. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale, golden yellow color with a big fluffly white head of about two fingers. The head disappears quickly, leaving behind no lacing. Mild carbonation, only a few trails of bublles rising from the bottom.

Smell: Very dry, grassy aroma. Large presence of unpleasant mineral notes, possibly from the water used by the brewery. A very vague hint of hops, but overall the aroma is pretty weak.

Taste: Nose of sour, grain flavors and malt that gives way to some hop bitterness. Aftertaste has similar grain notes that remind me a little bit of Pilsner Urquell. The finish is fairly dry but doesn't leave much behind on the palette.

Mouthfeel: A definite weak point of this beer. The mouthfeel of Budvar is thin and watery.

Drinkability: Slightly above average. The solid flavor balances out the weak mouthfeel.

If you walk from the Muzeum metro stop down Václavské street in Prague, you'll notice two huge brewery logos on one of the buildings on the right: Pilsner Urquell and Budweiser, the two titans of Czech brewing. Busweiser is probably more famous among the beer community for its fight with AB in the U.S., which is fairly ridiculous. While the brewery deserves support, it's a shame that this beer is so average. Even straight from the source, a mediocre to average pilsner, not really worth tracking down. If you're in the Czech Republic, try Pilsner Urquell on tap instead.

04-29-2004 08:03:56 | More by jed
DogFood11

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

This beer was one of my first attempts at something other than the big three. While stationed in western Germany near the Luxembourg border this brew could be found rather easily on tap or in bottles. Cheap as well which is nice for an E-4. Alot of my friends thought it odd that I drank this regularly at bbq's and whatnot...absolutely loved it. Times have changed and the journey this fine brew takes to get to the west coast of the good 'ol USA takes its toll. I remember it being a brew that really knocked my socks off so to speak. Amazingly crisp and refreshing. Light but packed full of hoppy goodness. Now, (insert endless possibilities here) for whatever reason it seems to have lost that crispness that I loved about it. Hops are spicey but alot less lively than I recall. buttery at times. Its pretty good by all means just not one that I'll go out of my way for. When I'm in europe I'd love to try this again but for now the journey is too long to get to my doorstep for such a delicate brew.

01-17-2006 04:05:12 | More by DogFood11
mtstatebeer

West Virginia

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

12 oz. bottle. Pours golden yellow color with a small white head. Aroma was a hint of citrus with some light malt, a touch of skunk. Flavor was nice, a little bitter. Light body, very crisp, could probably drink a ton of these. Good beer, not my favorite style though.

09-02-2008 21:26:11 | More by mtstatebeer
ecoastman

Ontario (Canada)

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

I may need to give this beer another chance. I hope I just got a bad bottle....

Drinkability - I wouldn't want another from this batch but I'll give it a second shot soon.

Appearance - clear and golden with a thin head that disappears completely in about 5 minutes. The carbonation is low.

Smell - The best before date is June 2010 and this is August 2009. Unfortunately, the skunk pissed in this bottle before they capped it. My wife was standing about 4 feet away, facing the opposite way, and could smell it. I'll re-review this beer soon from another batch to give it another chance.

Taste - Mild and sweet malt with low bitterness

Mouthfeel - The carbonation is too low but the beer could be refreshing.

08-15-2009 01:22:35 | More by ecoastman
Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.