Budweiser Budvar - Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

good

good

Budějovický Budvar, n.p. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Exported to the US as Czechvar.

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-19-2002)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Budvar Alström Bros
JoeyBeerBelly

2.58/5  rDev -28.5%

This is the beer that inspired A/B? I wasn't thrilled with this at all.
First of all I paid twice the price of American Bud for a 6 pack of this beer and I should've stuck with the red white and blue version. I was told by several friends that I have to try this beer and for me it was a big let down. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying this beer, but if you're expecting a terrific beer I don't think this stuff will live up to your expectations as it didn't live up to mine. thanks for reading this review.

01-11-2007 23:08:16 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
Knapp85

2.58/5  rDev -28.5%

Had to try it, I had heard about the Czech Budweiser and when I came across this I picked one up. Even though I was curious I figured I knew what the outcome would be. It's a generic looking Pilsner with a yellow body, white head, not much lacing if any really. The smell is a of some malts, grains, grass and other earthy aromas. The taste followed through with some of the aromas but also has a decent hop bitterness in the aftertaste. All in all, still nothing to rave about.

06-04-2011 01:15:56 | More by Knapp85
katan

Colorado

2.6/5  rDev -28%

11.2 oz bottle into a pint.

A - Clean light golden color - very filtered, no hazing. Head formation is strong, light white, and well retained.

S - Light pilsner sweetness combined with hops, and just a bit of "skunk" from light struck beer.

T - All pilsner malt through the early and mid-streams, with only the lightest bitterness showing up. Towards the end I detect the hops edge combined with a very potent skunking. Not much aftertaste here - only a light pilsner sweet cling.

M - Moderate to light body - in line with a czech pils. Not strong in terms of carbonation bite either.

D - Easy drinking. If the flavor didn't taste like crap, it would go down easily. ABV is manageable.

This seems like a beer that is a victim of extended "shelf aging" in a green bottle. Blech.

07-11-2009 02:16:50 | More by katan
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

2.63/5  rDev -27.1%

Undrinkable dry bitter pilsner. Light colour. Bit of malt after you get through the acidic. Mid-sip herb, grass and hay, metal. Grainy dry finish. Low carbonation in Canadian version. Had one in August 2005 that was strong carbonation and certainly worse.
Had this on tap at Chauncey Smith, in draft, in fall of 2009. It was better in smell, taste, mouthfeel, and that is the basis of my rating.

07-01-2004 01:53:14 | More by Sammy
CrazyDavros

Australia

2.63/5  rDev -27.1%

Pours deep gold with a small head that quickly fades to nothing.
Nose shows uber grassy/skunky hops at first. After this fades, loads of bready malt becomes apparent... craploads.
Similar flavours: bready, grainy malt, honey, and grassy, spicy hops.
Could use a bit more carbonation.

07-07-2011 07:55:11 | More by CrazyDavros
jujubeast6000

Reviewed 8/3/2008 (bottle BB 05.04.09):

Pours a golden yellow colored body, with a big frothy head, very lasting. Has a very malty aroma, some graininess, and also some nuts. Has a somewhat dusty, and grainy taste, with a mineral watery palate. Refreshing.

03-18-2009 21:09:49 | More by jujubeast6000
midaszero

Washington

2.65/5  rDev -26.6%

A - Clear golden body with no head

S - Malt and floral nose with some biscuit smell as well. A little hops

T - Lots of malts with a little bit of hops. Crisp taste but bitter and off after taste

M - Light medium body with medium carbonation

D - Didn't grab me. To bitter and not enough flavor to be enjoyable

11-22-2008 17:31:07 | More by midaszero
wheatyweiss

Wisconsin

2.68/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured from a "Czechvar" Bottle into a Pils glass.

Pours a light straw with no cloud. One finger head disappears immediately. Crystal clear.

Aroma is of light struck hops and crystal malt. The malt actually has a place on the nose here, the skunk hops do not overpower.

Flavor is husky, corny grain. Really corny, like a corn tortilla warmed over. Dusty and earthey, like a corn tortilla. Hops have the usual Czeck Pils skunky flavor, with a hit of sweet corn. Wow, corn is all I can say. Light struck skunky hops come in on the finish, more even than most Czech pils.

Light bodied and adequately carbonated.

Very different, more corn than I get from an American Macro, my tastes have been educated.
I honestly don't get the hype as in my opinion, this is honestly mediocre at best and quite possibly crap. It tastes more like adjuncts than anything from BMC.

02-28-2009 01:25:53 | More by wheatyweiss
tubeboy

Maryland

2.7/5  rDev -25.2%

I went to the store to buy some Konig only to discover they were out of stock. I paid $7.99 for a six pack of Czechvar with a sell by date of 10-10-12. I'm always nervous about beer in green bottles but I figured this was fresh and something new to taste. The beer pours with a clear golden color and about 1 finger of head that quickly settles. I think this beer has already suffered from light exposure as it has a mild case of the skunks going. I imagine it smells and taste much better from a tap than a bottle. The taste and mouthfeel are decent for the style but the aftertaste is bitter and smelly. I won't buy it again.

01-22-2012 19:34:26 | More by tubeboy
DPMomutant

Missouri

2.7/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours a very light gold with a pretty good sized head. The head reduces moderately quickly and has a consistency that is fizzy on the sides but foamy in the middle. No lacing apparent here.

The initial smell was more like the typical green bottle (mine was green contrary to the picture, best until 6/2005) Euro-lager 'skunk' smell. I caught this after so much as opening the bottle. Past that, I am able to detect something of a bready smell and something I can best describe as metallic. After a couple of minutes either the 'skunky' smell is gone or I am numb to it. That will bring it back to respectable.

There isn't much taste up front, but in the middle and back I get some decent hop bitterness.

This beer gets some points for enjoyable, yet moderate carbonation and a smooth finish.

I would say that this beer is drinkable at the level of it not being harsh in alcohol or smoothness, but after this one I'm okay with not having another because it's just hard to get over that metallic smell.

It is possible I've just got a bad bottle, but beyond the initial smell (which went away) it didn't act like a skunked beer. I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll try it again someday and see if I can get along with it better.

10-25-2004 05:41:19 | More by DPMomutant

Ontario (Canada)

05-25-2013 00:02:08 | More by Will12
ShireReeve

Pour: Tulip glass.

Appearance: Clear and golden with a minimal amount of carbonation. I got just about no sign of a head and absolutely no lacing. Really quite disappointed with the appearance of this beer. I was hoping for something spectacular being that it is supposed to be the real “King of Beers”.

Smell: Honestly, a little skunky. I got some grassy malts at first and then light hops at the deepest part of the inhale.

Taste: Grainy malt initially and then some hoppy notes on the back end. Hops linger in the aftertaste.

Mouth Feel: Light and watery with a dry finish.

Overall: Kind of disappointed with this beer. I didn’t feel like I was drinking a good quality European beer. Will try this one again in the future just to make sure I didn’t get a bad apple.

09-03-2011 02:42:01 | More by ShireReeve
Heminoolo

Estonia

09-23-2012 12:39:35 | More by Heminoolo
markgoodman10

02-12-2013 05:04:28 | More by markgoodman10
Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.