1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Budweiser Budvar - Budějovický Budvar, n.p.

Budweiser BudvarBudweiser Budvar

good

good

Budějovický Budvar, n.p. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Exported to the US as Czechvar.

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-19-2002)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Budvar Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,118 | Reviews: 736 | Show All Ratings:
2ndstage

3.15/5  rDev -13%

Fairly skunky presence at first, of course I should attribute that to the bottle date of 9-03 on it. A bit of a cidery twang and a high diactely taste. It was great to finally find this but I attribute most of the faults with the age and probable improper storage methods before I found it. Looking forward to finding a better vintage to give this a better shot.

04-13-2005 00:32:02 | More by 2ndstage
beerquestman

Wisconsin

3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

A: golden and lucid
S: hints of grassyness, just barely smell the yeast
T: Grassy, starts sweet but ends with a skunk bitterness
M: good, slightly heavy but yet satisfying
D: very smooth and very drinkable
Had it in a bottle, I've had it a bunch while in Europe, a nice reminder how great beer was over there. I really love the aftertaste on the beer.

01-18-2011 02:45:53 | More by beerquestman
aletale

Ontario (Canada)

3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a 500 mL can into an Alexander Keith's pint glass.

The pour reveals a typical pilsner golden-straw colour, perhaps a tint darker than a lot of pilsners. 1 finger of pure white bubbly head dissipated to a faint ring in under a minute. Medium carbonation with quick moving bubbles, but not many of them.

Nose is very, very faint, and difficult to pick out much. However, a grainy malt scent as well as a slight hop scent is present, but aside from that there isn't much to speak of.

Perhaps because I am trying this after just drinking a black IPA, the taste is very closely resembling the nose (ie. VERY sparse flavours). There is a nice, light, smooth hoppiness on the finish and maybe a nice bit of alcohol on the front, but I'm having a hard time distinguishing much else. If nothing else, this is a very smooth, drinkable, refreshing beer, with just enough flavour to get by. It certainly isn't watery.

I can't say whether or not I'll ever buy this again, as there are other pilsners that pack a little more punch flavour-wise, but those looking for a nice, smooth refreshing summer beer that goes down easy but still tastes like beer, definitely give it a shot.

Serving type: can

08-05-2011 12:06:08 | More by aletale
rslomin

Tennessee

4.15/5  rDev +14.6%

Had it served in a beer glass

Appearance: Clear golden color, slight foam to it
Smell: Hoppy, Malt,a little bit of hay
Taste: Definitely feel the hops when drinking the beer. Very smooth mouthfeel
Overall a very well made pilsner. Certainly a great beer to have with a hearty meat dish, or just with friends

02-18-2009 04:52:24 | More by rslomin
JBmadera

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Czechvar

11.2oz bottle with a Best Before date of 1.14.10?

nice appearance, very clean looking, almost no head

malty smell with only very faint hop aroma

good crisp taste with smooth mouthfeel

goes down nice and smooth so very drinkable.

I liked it - reminds me of my time spent working (and drinking!) in EMEA.

07-29-2009 19:35:04 | More by JBmadera
JackSkerry

New Brunswick (Canada)

3.54/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can't help but doing some research into the brand before I sit down and taste. Quite an interesting brand- worth looking into.

Poured from a slightly-too-warm can. Big bouqet of sweet- cakey malts. Carbonation as expected from a lager. Bit of hops sitting in the background.

Taste was sweet, typical of European malts. Relatively full body. Hop finish. As the beer sits, seems to get sweeter.

Overall good beer. Surprising, to be honest. Was expecting a light-macro lager. That's not what I got.

Serving type: can

02-01-2013 01:19:41 | More by JackSkerry
DV8HARD

4.65/5  rDev +28.5%

I had it on-tap in at a bar in Oslo. They had many imported beers mostly from Europe but, also a few American micro-brews. Since, I live in Costa Rica I don't get a chance to try different beers so it was nice to have something new.

It was served in a pint glass and had a one finger head which wasn't impressive. I didn't look when it was poured since, I was talking to a friend and the bartender was pouring a few beers so I didn't really get a chance to see it's true head. Of course, the appearance wasn't anything special but, I is a little more of an amber color than most pilseners.

The nose wasn't strong but, clean like the taste. The most prominent taste was that of hops and a less prominent taste of malt and floral flavor. It wasn't bitter at all, it's one of those beers that make you want to take another sip. Also, it was more on the thin side but, not completely. I would recommend this beer. I didn't have another one because, I wanted to try Mack, a Norwegian beer which is brewed in the northern-most brewery in the world.

07-25-2009 04:41:50 | More by DV8HARD
mfigueroa713

3.33/5  rDev -8%

Mouth feel was very loose and did not hold very long on the tongue.
Very clean taste and smell was simple. White head of two fingers in height with moderate lacing. Didn't detect any hopping but did sense the pine after taste. A good beer and a would try again but would not go out of my way to do so.

01-12-2012 12:21:05 | More by mfigueroa713
JMendyka

Connecticut

3.55/5  rDev -1.9%

I had this beer two ways, this review being for the bottled version. Having drank straight from the bottle (they don't keep fine pilsners to decant your beer into at the basement bar at the Arena Hostel in Prague, but they do have plenty of shot glasses for absinthe), it is hard to rate the beer on appearance, so I gave it the rating of "good" based on how it appeared after having it poured from tap. All, other ratings were given based on my bottle experience. The smell, taste and mouthfeel were that of your standard pils. It reminded me a lot of the Pilsner Urquell I had in Prague from tap. From the bottle, there was nothing special about this beer. On the plus side, great drinkability. I am by no means a heavy drinker. More of a one and done type of guy. But the with the Irish lass and lad buying myself and the gf beers (and the gf handing hers off to me) I drank more than my share of Budvars that night without a problem... at least not until I got to the spiral staircase that led up to the room.

On tap, though, the taste was a a completely different story. The malt was allowed to shine through while the hops balanced off and cleaned up the experience by leaving the kind of crisp aftertaste that you want on a hot day of touring. It was a sensual pleasure.

07-25-2005 17:55:53 | More by JMendyka
tofulegend

Sweden

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

I had this on tap a few times when I was in Prague last spring. I've had it on can and bottle too but it's actually a lot better on tap. It looks real nice with its golden yellow color and a thick but quickly fading head. Smells like a normal pils, malty and a little metallic. The taste it quite sweet but with a good hop-flavor to balance it. Bigger body than the average pils, probably the sweetness. Very drinkable. This is my favourite among the Czech pilseners so far.

03-05-2006 01:00:12 | More by tofulegend
DerekStek

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

An easy drinking beer. The smell is distinctly lager. A classic taste. Head was thin and quick to leave. The taste is hoppy yet retains a bitter aftertaste. The color is light brown and clear. A must try for those who take to lagers.

This is a beer I would buy if I wanted quality and quantity at the same time.

12-15-2010 03:46:29 | More by DerekStek
oqnid

Quebec (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

If it hadn't been for the green bottle effect this beer would have been a perfect 5 but...when will they learn? The brew itself was very surprising. I was sure to taste a lager copy of Pilsner Urquell (just by the look of it) so my expectations weren't that high. Mistake #1 (or should I say Rule #1) never judge a book by it's cover!
Impressive hop presence, a well rounded beer, especially for a 5%. This brew has more bite then alot of higher ABV's I've tasted. Nice bitterness almost soothing that brings you to the more then present after-taste which, again, soothes your palate and invites you, ever so softly, to have another sip.
In conclusion, this is a well balance beer that stays with you from start to finish...the way it should be!

10-28-2002 08:40:42 | More by oqnid
Rors

United Kingdom (England)

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%

330ml bottle served in a pilsner urquell stemmed glass.

Golden in colour with orange an hue, topped with a tight bubbled head, some lacing - all in all a very appealing appearance.

The nose presents some primary sweet biscuity maltiness, with some dried fruit and spice and a big waft of piney hops.

Apple fruit and sweet malt are present on the palate, with a good balance of hop spice and a very slight alchohol warmth.

Mouthfeel is very tight and carbonation is near spot on. Very drinkable and perfect for summer!

01-29-2009 14:16:29 | More by Rors
btcook007

Arizona

3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

A: Poured from a "Czechvar" bottle with a "best before" date of 12/2/09. Tasting side-by-side with a Pilsner Urquell. Golden color with a quickly-dissipating white head that left no lacing on the glass. Virtually identical to the Urquell, maybe just a shade lighter in color.

S: Skunky. What else can I say? It's that typical, European skunky beer smell. The Pilsner Urquell also has that smell, but to a lesser degree.

T: Mildly bitter on the palate, with little-to-no bready midtaste, and virtually no aftertaste. By comparison, the Pilsner Urquell I am comparing it with has an ever-so-much sweeter maltiness to it.

M: Thin, with a little bit of fizziness. Pilsner Urquell seemed to coat the mouth a bit more, but both are a bit thin.

D: I could see having a few of these, I suppose, but if I had to choose, I'd take the Pilsner Urquell. I got tired of smelling the Skunkiness in the Czechvar every time I had a sip. The Pilsner Urquell, by comparison, was less skunky to begin with, and lost the smell after a while. It also had that slightly sweet component of taste which balanced the hoppiness nicely.

07-31-2009 22:30:56 | More by btcook007
DrewS667

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

pored from a 11.3 oz Euro bottle into a narrow, .5l mug

A - A bit darker and more golden in color than most pilsners, light fluffy white head that retreats quickly, some minor lacing throughout

S - Grassy and with a bit of skunk some light floral and citrus scents

T - Citrus and grass, classic pilsner hoppy bite in the back.

M - Smooth and light without being watery, good amount of carbonation cuts the skunky hops very well

D - Super drinkable, could easily down a good amount in a session, this beer is light but loaded with flavor, a very good lager, excellent for a summer barbecue and one I would definitely have again

05-31-2010 03:06:47 | More by DrewS667
moosejaw7

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%

An excellent version of a Czech pils. Why is this beer able to travel so well overseas but Urquell isn't? I wish I had an answer.

This beer is endlessly drinkable. Slight herbal notes, faint citrus as well, and, more importantly, completely satisfying when you are just looking for a beer to quaff without having to think too hard.

Not too light. Not too heavy. Crisp but with a subtle fullness that lends to the perfectly balanced mouthfeel.

If I could find it all the time, I would have this in my refrigerator 24/7. A delicious, delicious beer.

11-10-2010 07:43:40 | More by moosejaw7
kennywoodbrew

Indiana

4.85/5  rDev +34%

As a brewer with a particular appreciation for decoction brewed Czech malt and (zaatec saaz hops) this is the perfect pilsner. More delicate than Urquell and smoother than a good day. There is no end to the easy pleasure that this brew brings. In my estimation, nobody would dislike this beer. It is as complicated as you'll let it be. Simplicity is often the hardest achievable goal to admire. A smooth pour, followed by a very delicate hop aroma. The deep but discernible malt flavors surface while lightly masked by the saaz flavors. A smooth mouthfeel remains behind while reminding you to taste again. This shall be my desire to one day come close to duplicating. Cheers to Budvar!

12-30-2002 19:24:17 | More by kennywoodbrew
thecoldesquire

West Virginia

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

This is the real thing.

Appearance: golden with a nice amount of head that stays with it until the last drink.

Smell: light sweet smell

Taste: crisp and refreshing, with a good hop to malt balance, slightly more malty than hoppy.

Mouthfeel: dry and crisp and a little watery.

Drinkability: smoothe and easy drinking.

If pilsner is your thing, this is where its at. My lawnmower beer of choice.

05-10-2004 19:19:46 | More by thecoldesquire
StoutandBitter

United Kingdom (England)

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Nice golden brown, with almost no head and no lacing.

S - Very mild, some hops, some fruity notes.

T - Pleasant, slightly metallic, fairly typical of its type.

M - The fruityness comes late and coats the tongue like a very mild wine

D - Very drinkable, a good summer afternoon lazing in the backyard kind of beer. Recommended.

01-31-2009 04:58:42 | More by StoutandBitter
ShireReeve

2.75/5  rDev -24%

Pour: Tulip glass.

Appearance: Clear and golden with a minimal amount of carbonation. I got just about no sign of a head and absolutely no lacing. Really quite disappointed with the appearance of this beer. I was hoping for something spectacular being that it is supposed to be the real “King of Beers”.

Smell: Honestly, a little skunky. I got some grassy malts at first and then light hops at the deepest part of the inhale.

Taste: Grainy malt initially and then some hoppy notes on the back end. Hops linger in the aftertaste.

Mouth Feel: Light and watery with a dry finish.

Overall: Kind of disappointed with this beer. I didn’t feel like I was drinking a good quality European beer. Will try this one again in the future just to make sure I didn’t get a bad apple.

09-03-2011 02:42:01 | More by ShireReeve
6pkhbt

4.23/5  rDev +16.9%

Love this beer (when fresh and that is the hard part so far away from where it is made)! I will only purchase 20 bottles at a time in an unopened case lest any light squeak in and skunk this fine beer. I hate green bottles for flavour although they do look pretty.

Sweet malt with a slight diacetyl note which is covered up in waves of Saaz spice. Lovely yeast profile with hints of sulphur. Sometimes I forget how many I've had, each one leads to another so easily.

03-03-2012 17:26:33 | More by 6pkhbt
Mesha

Bosnia & Herzegovina

3.61/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Clearly a distinct pilsner. Nice, deep golden color. Smells floral and citrusy, nothing special there. Taste is what sets this beer apart from most other European pilsners/lagers: malty sweetness counterbalanced by citrusy hoppiness finishes with pleasant lingering bitterness. All these characteristics are more pronounced than in most of the other eastern European or German pilsners. Very smooth and drinkable. Admittedly, I had some better craft pilsners, but this is one of the better macro ones and surely one of the better brews available in Sarajevo.

03-18-2013 22:43:36 | More by Mesha
schellsguy

Iowa

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I found this beer to be very crisp, refreshing and pleasant from the first sip to the last drop. It is a flavorful beer with good old fashioned beer taste, the way I remember beer tasting when I was young and stealing drinks from Dad's beer. It has enough flavor, color, and drinkability to enjoy beer after beer and would certainly make a fine session beer most anytime of the year. I would recommend this beer, and it is sad that the American version is soooo very far from being like this beer.

05-28-2007 20:05:56 | More by schellsguy
MrHadack

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

I had this beer on tap when traveling in Germany a few years back. As a relative beer novice back then I had little to no knowledge of it. It remains one of my personal favorites, and thus a good candidate for my first BA review.

Served from the tap into a Budvar tulip glass (which I was given by the bartender as a souvenir, probably from ordering so many!)

(A): Bright, clean and clear golden color. String of bubbles rising to a thin pure white head.

(S): Floral notes, crisp scent. The word "clean" comes to mind. Nothing overly intriguing in the bouquet.

(T): Much more going on here than I expected. Spiciness from the hops that lingers throughout, a flavor that reminds me of a scone: dry and bread-like with a barely detectable sweetness. Finishes clean.

(M): A fuller feel than the color would have you believe. More carbonation than I care for, usually. Overall perfectly fine for the style but nothing to really speak about.

(D): I could drink this beer all night long. As I said, it is one of my favorites, especially on tap in Europe. The flavor finishes well and doesn't linger and it isn't too filling or potent. A great session beer in my mind.

Note: I occasionally find the USA bottled version "Czechvar" around my area and I do drink it. It's a bit different to me, or at least I think it is. I think anything tastes better in its native region, but that could be psychological. ;)

01-20-2010 21:46:37 | More by MrHadack
joel77

Yukon (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a vigorous, thin head. Even gold in colour. No lacing to speak of. Appears almost flat.

Good balance between malt and hops on the nose.

I can taste the allusion to the big brewery product of my high school days (bitter beans anyone?), but it's only an initial illusion at that - there's a lot more here. The bitterness gives way to some sweetness. Positively sweet. The malt comes through more towards the end and leaves me with an even, balanced mouthfeel. The carbonation is hidden here by the look but it's there and it's pleasant.

I could do a couple bottles of this stuff, it's not heavy. Very quenching and would be a good patio quaff. Leaves me wanting more.

10-15-2009 03:39:07 | More by joel77
Budweiser Budvar from Budějovický Budvar, n.p.