Gerry Dog Stout - Big Elm Brewing

Oatmeal Stout |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Sam21 on 01-27-2013

Ratings: 30 | Reviews: 4
3.38/5  rDev -6.1%

A: [3.00] Dark black body. The head is a khaki brown with *very* aggressive bubbling. I am accustomed to beers with a fairly stable and inactive head this looked like I threw an Alka Seltzer in it. Lots of vigorous popping bubbles. The can has a born on date (I think). It is Oct of 2013. So this is 11 months old. The head settles into a thin film.

S: [3.75] Coffee, chocolate and roasted malts. Very classic stout aroma.

T: [3.50] Nice charred wood flavor - a smokey taste. There is some chocolate on the finish. Much more coffee as it warms.

M: [2.50] A little too carbonated. I don't think a stout should have a "sting" on the tongue.

O: [3.25] I "stole" this beer from my dad's fridge. I am not sure how he acquired it - he only drinks AAL. I am sure it has been tucked away in there for months. I know nothing about this brewery or their products. This beer is decent (It is definitely the best thing my dad has). I think it if was inexpensive I'd kick back with a few. The carbonation is the only thing that is really out of whack. Everything else plays well enough to be enjoyable.

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured a very dark opaque chocolate color with a 3F head in stein.

Aroma is quite good-light chocolate, and fruit- cherry(?)

Mouth feel is relatively mild.

Taste/finish: light roasts, malty, some fruit. The taste and finish are similar to a Bock.

Overall- a very easy drinking stout. Enjoyable, especially when one is not in the mood for
an over-the-top stout, high ABV beer.

3.82/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap at a Western Massachusetts diner on July 28, 2013.

It was a deep dark black pour with a modest beige head and very opaque. The head faded after a moment or two.

I did not pick up much in the way of oatmeal on the nose but I did get a decent dose of coffee malts and subtle sweetness.

The body was around medium with some light astringency.

The taste was also on the slightly sweet side with a moderate lingering dryer finish. Some smoke too. Oatmeal stout? Not sure if it fit the profile I am used to but it did remind me of an Irish Dry Stout.

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

22oz. Poured into German dimple mug.
A- Deep rich black color, but not opaque. Creamy tight tan head. Nice retention. Good looking stout.

S- Cola, raisins, light roast notes, molasses, and a sweetness that is deep and enveloping. Wonderful malty aroma.

T- Similar to the aroma, this is a sweet stout. Cola, sweet dried fruits, and a mild touch of roast in the finish. Hops are very light and the finish is pleasantly long. There is a creaminess to the way the flavors meld together.

MF- Creamy yet not heavy. Medium-bodied and round. Really great for a non-imperial.

O- This is a sweet oatmeal stout. The sweetness is dominant over and roast tones, which became a bit much for me by the end of the bottle. Still, it's a solid stout and an enjoyable local beer! Looking forward to trying the bourbon barrel version and some of their other beers!

Gerry Dog Stout from Big Elm Brewing