1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pumpkin Ale - BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse

Pumpkin Ale
No picture uploaded.

BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse visit their website
Arizona, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

A spicy finish balances the sweet start of this seasonal favorite. Orange in color with the delicious taste and aroma of pumpkin pie!

(Beer added by: AtLagerHeads on 11-03-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 37 | Reviews: 24 | Show All Ratings:
watermelonman

3.33/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This arrived as a nice deep orange with a small head that lasted well. It's leaving a minor amount of lace behind.

While cold, the smell was very weak. It seemed to have promise, but as the beer warmed the smell started to let out some off flavors alongside the pumpkin. The taste was much better, delivering malt, bits of spice, and pumpkin in a smooth way. Hop content is subdued. The mouthfeel is smooth, while drinkability is pretty good too.

11-12-2005 23:24:05 | More by watermelonman
SwillinBrew

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

I had this on tap at the Tustin BJ's (where you cannot get growlers from anymore). Well, I've not had a good pumpkin ale before (only Buffalo Bills, bleh) so i dont know what is a good benchmark.

Ap - What a beautiful color. A brownish rust with coppery orange hues and 2 fingers of light tan head, very nice.
Sm - Just like you imagined ie pumpkin pie... or all the spices used to make pumpkin pie. The nutmeg or all spice is solid on the nose. Not subtle but pleasant.
Tst - A plethora of pumpkin pie spices roll into your mouth with a sweet light malt backbone. I could really taste the spice, i think nutmeg and something that was a bit too astringent, tannic or bitter. Still a tasty brew though.

This ale has a good medium body with good carbonation. those astringent notes were a bit much for me to drink this frequently, but it was good and i will get a growler to serve on turkey day.

10-27-2005 19:28:01 | More by SwillinBrew
IceAce

3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Foreword: Let me just say this first...I don't like pumpkins. The only thing I dislike more than the annual Halloween tradition of cutting and scooping four of these orange gourds (for my wife & kids to carve) is the act of choking down a piece of my Mother-in-Law's pie on Thanksgiving Day. That said...here we go.

Appearance: Deep, deep orange topped with two fingers of whipped-cream looking foam. What appears to be an over-abundance of CO² springs forth in a never-ending stream from the bottom of the glass.

Aroma: Remeniscent of the smell of Aunt Rose's kitchen as we arrived on Thanksgiving morning. Although I never ate the pie...the smell was pure heaven.

Taste: No bones about it...we have tuned our taste buds in to the Pumpkin Channel...All Pumpkin, All the Time. Very little spicing and I'm grateful for this omission as it could only detract from the wonderful taste of this seasonal brew.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth with a finish much drier than anticipated. I only wish the real McCoy trasted ½ this good.

Drinkability: Rich...so rich that two pints is one too many...but I certainly can't blame the beer or the brewmaster for that, now can I?

Epilogue: You may be asking yourself, how can a beer with all 4.0 & 4.5 ratings (from this reviewer) deserve a 3.0 in drinkability? Well, no matter how good the first pint may be, it doesn't deserve much better if ½ the second pint goes down the drain. I highly recommend this tasty offering...

11-04-2004 01:36:56 | More by IceAce
AtLagerHeads

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%

An orange amber body with a small off-white head creates decent lace effect throughout the glass. The aroma is slightly spicy and gives hints nutmeg and allspice, but the nose is not all that big on this brew. Pleasantly spicy flavor but not especially pumpkin pie like. The feel is smooth and it does finish very nicely making this a decently drinkable ale.

11-03-2003 07:21:04 | More by AtLagerHeads