Harvest Hefeweizen - BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse

BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse visit their website
Arizona, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 09-29-2004

Not just another wheat beer. This award-winning hefeweizen is fermented with an authentic Bavarian weizen yeast to produce its unique flavor profile — fruity, spicy and refreshing. Try it without a lemon!

3.37/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap. Hazy reddish-straw color with an instantly receding head. Weak aroma of traditional hefe spices. Tastes of spices and wheat with a slightly sweet finish from the banana. Medium-light body with medium carbonation.
Nothing special here. Just a decent hefeweizen, nothing especially good or bad about it. (312 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -27.4%

First of all, there was absolutely no head, which is pretty much the norm for beers in the U.S. The beer had a pretty average taste, sweet and very smooth-typical of most Hefeweizens. However after I finished about 15% the beer became extremely watery. The rest of the beer was the same, no aftertaste...no taste in general. Rather dissapointing. Their Brewhouse Blonde is much better. (385 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -33.8%

On tap at BJ’s in Allen, Texas. The beer pours a hazy straw color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the wheat and banana, about what I expected. The flavor is not as good as the aroma. I gt some wheat and banana, but I also get something that reminds me of a plastic bucket. The flavor starts off OK, but as I drank more, it just became gross. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. (393 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -40.7%

Appearance - This has a very pale yellow coloration, and its very cloudy. I can't honestly say it looks that much different, but the coloration is different from richer golds I've seen.

Smell - Smells very....hard to describe. "Powdery"? There's a very undefinable smell, perhaps the yeast is getting the better of it. It smells lackluster to other wheat beers I've tried.

Taste - ...I swear this tasted like make-up powder. Or how I would imagine it would taste like. It might've been because it was a bad batch, but I was NOT impressed in the slightest. It was easily the worst wheat I've ever tasted. Adding citrus to it myself just worsened the flavor. It didn't taste BAD, it was drinkable (unfortunately, I couldn't stand it and I switched for a Jeremiah Red, they kindly did so).

Mouthfeel - Very unfiltered, so very thick on the palate. And when its thick and tastes bad, you're not doing your beer any favors. Its not a bitter aftertaste at least.

Overall - I might've just gotten a bad batch, but I'll never order another pint of this beer. I've had better wheat beers WARM. Drink at your own risk, but its nothing special.

EDIT: I double-checked this beer in a sampler pack; it still tastes the same as it did when I first tried it. I'm underwhelmed. (1,266 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured a very nice orange with a heavy yeast cloud into a weiss glass with a 1" head, and maintained fairly nice lacing. The nose had subdued notes of banana and clove, but mainly wheat came through. The same thing could be said of the palate...a touch of banana and clove, light bubble gum, sweet wheat, and a touch of bittering hops. Overall an OK hefe, good for someone who typically drinks light lagers and is felling adventurous. (434 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had at BJ's in El Paso, TX.

A: Served a hazy golden color with a small head and just a bit of lacing.

S: has a grainy aroma with traces of spice and citrus mixed in.

T: Has a taste of citrus and some grain with a bit of cleansing bitterness. Has a fairly dry finish.

F: Fairly medium body, quite crisp and clean. Really quite refreshing.

D: Decent drinker. Good for settling the dust on a hot West Texas afternoon. (419 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -11.7%

color is a cloudy orange with a light head.

smells strongly of wheat and hops

taste: It taste like all hefes, pretty generic. The yeast is really strong in this one. The after taste while not horrible is something I wouldn't describe as pleasant. Seeing as hefe's are one of my favorite beer styles, I was not a fan of this one.

drinkability I could have one or 2 but then I would be sick of this flavor. Not high on my list. (428 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -8.5%

Part of a flight at BJ's Daytona.

Sight - pale golden, cloudy, very little head
Smell - classic banana and cloves, though muted
Taste - sweet, maltier than many hefeweizens, quite smooth
Sweet - 2.5/5
Bitter - 2/5

This really is a run of the mill hefeweizen, nothing bad, but also nothing inspiring. Perhaps a full pint would have been too much as I fear it would become soapy and dull. (388 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +17.4%

Enjoyed on tap in Glendale. Didn't look it, but a serviceable hefe. Cloudy dark yellow colour with a white lacey head. Drying, with bannana, a little sour in the finish combined with sugar. Average mouthfeel still smooth. A drink of contrasts that still worked. (261 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +15.1%

This hefe displays an extremely cloudy, medium gold appearance with a thin white head. The glass was served pretty damn full, hard to blame the lack of a traditionally large hefe foam on the beer. Otherwise a pretty good looking hefeweizen.

Nose has some bananas and lemons with a crisp wheat aroma. Minimal clove, but the bananas are pretty nice here. I'm glad this is a German style hefe as opposed to another American wheat masquerading in a hefeweizen name.

Tastes pretty good as well, better than the last time I remember having it. Banana is the most prevalent yeast ester with a bit of mild clove making an appearance. Silky finish but unfortunately not overly creamy, could use a bit more body. Some grainy malts give a nice complement to the wheat. A pretty solid hefeweizen and one I would gladly order again, especially considering the severe lack of brewpubs in Houston. (884 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -18.9%

I had the beer at a BJ's in Gainseville, FL.... it had a nutty taste with some spicy hops. Overall the beer was a little boring, but good. It would go good with a pizza, but unfortunately, I did not have time for that. It had an orange color, and no strong lacing. If I went back, I would order this again. (306 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +11.7%

Reviewed 12/6/2007 (Tap @ BJs Clear Lake):

Pours an orange cloudy colored body, with little head, white in color. Has a sweet aroma, with clove, and fresh light hop & fruit. Sharp taste, banana, somewhat fizzy, light fruit. Tasty and not too light tasting. Really fizzy as it warms up. Orangey. (295 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a hazy golden color with a decent sized foamy white head. Some spotty lacing. Pretty nice and refresthing flavors: citrus bananas, cloves, with vanilla and a touch of spicy hops. Slightly bland finish but overall quite refreshing and a decent hefeweizen. (260 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -6.6%

Cloudy, attractive orange pour with a small head. Smell is thick wheat, along with clove and spiced yeast. Thick, rich body, with a taste of clove, spice, but nicely wheaty as well. Actually one of the nicer hefeweizens I've had, as I typically don't care for heavily yeasty hefs, and this delivers a nice thick wheaty body and flavor along with it. (349 characters)

Sample at the Columbus location. Pours a cloudy orange color with a medium thin off-white head with fair retention. Spotty lacing. The aroma consists of sweet fruit and yeast. Light-bodied and very sweet with banana, yeast and spice flavors. Not much bitterness to balance it out. The finish is sweet clove and just a hint of hops. Average at best. (348 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +0.3%

My dad brought this home from the Laguna Beach location and it only sat in the fridge for eight hours before we drank it

Pours a cloudy golden color with a foamy head that did not go down for a long time

Smell had a little citrus, but nothing special

Taste was a nice mixture of wheat and lemons

Would drink this again, finished our growler with no problem between the two of us, so very drinkable (401 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +27.8%

Hazy yellow, poured with minimal foam. The head that was present stayed for a bit.

Banana aroma, with some vanilla, and a bit of bubblegum. Typical, nice hefeweizen aroma.

Tart up front, big banana falvor, with vanilla and bubblegumnot far behind. Not quite enough bitterness, as I found this to be a bit sweet for my tastes. Still very nice.

Light bodied. Could use a bit more carbonation to make it spritzy and refreshing like the classics. Overall, very nice. Well done. (483 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +31.9%

On tap at the Rancho Cucamonga, CA location. Poured a cloudy yellow about the color of a semi-ripe banana. The smell is pretty mild. Wheat and not really much else is apparent to me in the aroma. The taste is primarily wheat and a nice backing of banana. The banana is not too overbearing, it mainly comes through at the finish and is very pleasant. The best tasting hefeweizen I've had, though I don't drink them often. The mouthfeel was good, there was nothing too wrong with it. With the mild banana taste and nice mouthfeel, this beer is easy to drink, especially in hot weather like right now. (598 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +14.5%

Had on tap at BJ's pub/restaurant in Polaris (Columbus, OH). I heard they ship it from AZ since they don't have a brewing license here.

Hazy pale golden orange with thick poofy foam. It had the banana/clove aroma of an authentic German hefe, and nice medium-thick mouthfeel too. Maybe the banana could be more pronounced for my liking, but that's just my opinion. Overall an easily drinkable beer, my second favorite I tried (after Tatonka stout). (450 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Hefeweizen was a nice hazy almost bronze color with a substantial white head. It smelled mostly of cloves; light citrus and lighter banana. Taste wasn't impressive; not enough banana or citrus for me. The clove taste dominates. The hoppy finish had an uncomfortable musty/moldy taste that I didn't enjoy (all of BJ's beers from my experiences have this quality). Mouthfeel didn't have any stand out features, I would have liked a little more carbonation. (454 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +16.7%

This beer is a very hazy, straw color and is topped by a pale head. The aroma is yeasty, with notes of banana and clove, though the clove is a bit stronger. The taste is sweet and fruity with strong banana notes. The finish has a bit of hop bite to it, which balances the sweet fruitiness pretty well. There is a hint of acidity in the finish, and a bit of spicy wheat character here as well. This is a good example of a German Hefeweizen; solid, yeasty refreshment in a glass. (477 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%

Sampled on tap at the Las Vegas (Summerlin) location, but brewed in Chandler, Arizona.

This hefeweizen poured a cloudy, golden color with white foam that settled rather quickly. The smell was not very robust: some light citrus with a hint of clove-like phenols. The taste was phenolic (clove) up front with some citrus, a light sweetness, some wheat, very light yeast, and a hint of fruitiness. The mouthfeel was smooth and relatively clean with a bit of tart citrus feeling. The body was medium with low carbonation feel. The lemony flavor lingered a while. This was an OK, mild hefeweizen. (594 characters)

Harvest Hefeweizen from BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse