Hirter Privat Pils - Brauerei Hirt GmbH

German Pilsener |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Dogbrick on 11-25-2002

Reviews by russpowell:
4.07/5  rDev +24.8%

Pours honey colored with 3 fingers of pearl colored head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Soapyness, bready notes,& perfumy hops

T: Follows the nose, slight sulphur, along with lemony & mineral hoppyness up front. Crackery notes/dryness, grainy bread notes as this warms, some apple & white grape notes as well. Finishes soapy with a slight grainy sweetness, really enjoyed this

MF: Medium bodied, firm carbonation & good balance

A respectable pils that went down too easy

3.75/5  rDev +15%

(Served in a strange)
3/9/2012 on bottle
A- This beer pours a deep straw yellow body with a lumpy off-white head that is thick and a quick sea of carbonation pops to the top. The head sticks in sheets with each sip.

S- the clean lager aroma has a slightly sweet sulfur and some pils malt note to it with a wet mash aroma in the finish. The soft noble hop note comes through in the finish as it opens.

T- The clean gentle sweetness is pale malt but there is a soft slightly sweet mineral water note in the finish. The noble hop bitterness lingers a bit in the aftertaste but stays in balance

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a slightly slippery texture and a gentle fizz.

O- Nice German Pilfer that is just a touch sweeter than most but it adds a nice freshness to the malt flavor. It is well balanced but the mineral water taste tends to grow a bit to much as it opens.

3.17/5  rDev -2.8%

A - This one is crystal clear and amber-gold with a two finger head of loose bubbles. The head is honestly pretty junky looking.... not the tight white foam that I'd expect. Lacing is sporadic at best, and retention is poor.

S - Sour fruit and a crazy funk note that seems like brettanomyces but I honestly doubt that that is what I'm smelling. Smells a bit like Zebra Stripes fruit gum and "old man aftershave" like Old Spice. Some donut and sour apple show up too. Weird, but not bad at all.

T - Sour apple and funky pumpkin with some pumpernickel and sesame seed notes too. This is not striking me as a very well put together beer. The flavors are odd, but I like odd. I get the feeling that some of this funky flavor may be attributable to this bottle's long journey overseas and long respite on the shelf of my local beer store.

M - Light bodied and astringent. Crisp and wafer-y. Finishes clean with a hint of salt and minerals... like a salt-n-vinegar potato chip.

D - Not bad. I like the oddball factor, but it isn't really doing what it should for the given style. I could drink a few of these, but I would reach for it's darker sibling "Morchl" which is just outstanding. I'm kinda "meh" about this one.

3.85/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hirter Privat Pils
,5l brown glass bottle coded "09.06.2014 5 343 3 M" on 30 Dec 2014

Notes: Crystal clear golden body beneath a short head of bright white foam that holds very well and leaves good lacing. Clean aroma of golden, grainy malt and herbal hops with just a hint of yeasty sulphur. Medium-light in body with a crisp carbonation. Flavor delivers solid grainy malt peppered with herbal and gently spicy hops backed by a solid bitterness. Lingering dry finish with herbal hops and some residual malt.

2.64/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Your standard Pilsener here. Paid $1.99 for 25 oz. bottle. Best if drank by 6/2003 stamped on the back, so it was 8 months past when I was drinking it.

Very smooth, nice fluffy white head. Very light taste. I'd go for Pilsener Urquell over this in a heartbeat.

3.96/5  rDev +21.5%

Looking at this beer through a Koelsch-spike, I'm having a hard time thinking of a better looking beer. There is a stunning clarity to this beer and a nice white bubble-bath head. I mean, just look through this beer. Who can argue with that?

The smell and taste, unfortunately, have a little bit of "tomato-sauce" edge to the,. It happens to a lot of beers (Dortmunder Gold comes to mind) but overall I don't think it detracts from the experience too much. I'm left with a fairly clean pils that is balanced out by a fair amount of earthy hallertau hops. Yes, that unfortunate vegital character is there, but not enough to properly hate on the beer.

I like the crisp dryness of the beer. Once I'm done having a sip, my mouth is clear and ready for the next. Indeed, there is a slight drying knack to it. I dig.

Ultimately, the beer suffers because it is not Bitburger. I can get a can of Bitburger for a third the price and, frankly, Bitburger is a better beer if that is what you are reaching for (and I usually am!). That said, it isn't a bad beer by any stretch of the imagination.

3.75/5  rDev +15%

3.41/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's a good pilsener. Nothing extraordinary but it's tasty. I wouldn't go out of my way to get it or buy it again. It has a standard pilsener taste.

4.25/5  rDev +30.4%

2.75/5  rDev -15.6%

2.6/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Turbid, cloudy yellow with a creamy eggshell cap that sticks a little. This is not a great smelling beer, spent grain and faint saaz hops. The flavor is only slightly better than the nose, not unpleasant but completely underwhelming and lacking in both malt and hop flavors. Medium bodied with smooth carbonation. This beer does not do the beautiful package justice and it is certainly not "A rarity in beer taste" as the label proclaims. There are far better examples of the style to be found.

3.55/5  rDev +8.9%

22 ounce bottle stamped 5-2007. Picked up Jerry's Liquor in Rapids. First time I had ever seen this pils, and first time (I think) that I have had an Austrian beer.

Midway between straw and gold in color. A little paler than other pilsners that I have had recenly. Strong head.

Delicate aroma and flavor of hops. Not really sure of the type. I need to practice my palate a bit on that topic.

Weak malt aroma. Some malt flavor, but not it is not quite up to the level of malt I seem to like in other pilsners. I'm wondering if this reflects differences in ingredients or the mash (e.g., decoctions).

A little bitterness hits me at the finish, about the same time that the malt flavors register. In this sense, it is nicely balanced.

Very clean with regard to esters.

Crisp and light in body, maybe a little thinner than I would like, but maybe I haven't explored the style very well. I'll say average.

Increasingly, I find myself enjoying pilsners This one would not be my favorite but it is enjoyable. It wasn't a bad buy, either -- 4 imported bombers for 8 bucks.

3.57/5  rDev +9.5%

Light pale gold, no head. Relatively clear. A lager that looks like a lager.

A sweetish smell from the malt profile. Minimal hops. Taste has a deep maltiness not expected from the look, finishes sweeter than most.

A drinkable pilsner, with a good kick but a bit sweet for the style. Not great but pretty good.

3.5/5  rDev +7.4%