Rye 95 - Two Roads Brewing Company

Two Roads Brewing Company visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: RDHerm on 01-30-2014

Two Roads Brewmaster Phil Markowski has taken a road less traveled with this rye-based version of a classic Belgian Tripel. There are unique twists and turns at every corner that give our spring seasonal its unique, fruity complexity. The beer is characteristically spicy with a dry flavor and aroma thanks to the rye. The addition of American-grown Mosaic and Amarillo hops add notes of white wine, blueberries and fruit punch. We also used a noticeably fruity/spicy yeast strain that adds characteristics of pear and clove. So take the next exit for a fruity, spicy flavor and intense hop character.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 115 | Reviews: 15
3.94/5  rDev +8.8%

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

4.16/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.48/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft from a tulip glass while in Providence for a conference, subtle nose reminiscent of a chewy white wine with distinct fruitiness. Exceptionally delicious, sweet and malty with a strong yeast balance, a pleasant lingering thickness around the upper back of my mouth. The perfect farewell to my time in the city.

4.2/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.47/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can from a seasonal 12 pack, drunk from 43-55F in a goblet.

Pours a brilliantly clear honey/light amber with golden highlights. Bright white head to 2 fingers, but dissipates in just over a minute to a film of foam atop the beer, no lacing left behind (or after any successive sip thereafter).

Aroma is good for the style, slight floral perfume, major hit of banana and spice, almost bubblegum but not quite. No discernible hop aroma or alcohol esters. Honey-like/mead-like character... I predict this one to be on the sweet side. Surprising I can't pick up on more of a peppery note since this is made with rye...

Flavor is ok, there's a bit of a clash between the sweet n' fruity flavors and the mild astringency and peppery/spicy qualities the rye brings to this brew. Also, alcohol esters came right out once the beer warmed in the mouth, and I'm getting this weird bitter, herbal, mildly astringent aftertaste hanging onto the back of my tongue. Not what I was expecting. Honestly, It tastes like someone put a shot of rye in some of my homemade mead...

Mouth-feel is ok, light to medium body (more on the lighter side) with moderate carbonation, but I'm not getting that silky smooth quality other tripels have.

Overall, ok - even knowing the brew had rye in it, the flavor profile isn't what I would have expected of a tripel. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad beer, it's quite tasty in fact - but unfortunately for this beer, I had been drinking Belgian blonds and tripels the week before, so I feel like this brew is missing that little something special which would put it in the tripel category.

And so, my quest to find a rye beer I can fall in love with continues...

**Edit**
After thinking about it for a few days I think I've figured out what it is about this beer that I find lacking compared to other tripels - it's not bottle conditioned. Now take this beer and age it on its yeast for 6 month to a year with maybe a little medium/dark toast oak to interplay with the honey and rye notes... Mmmm baby! Now there's a beer I'd love to try! Two Roads, if you're reading this, please make an aged-on-the-yeast version of this beer! I'll be the first in line to buy it!!!

3.82/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.87/5  rDev +6.9%

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

4.04/5  rDev +11.6%

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%

Appearance was a hazy dark yellow with a very thin head that left some trails around the glass. The smell was mostly a bit of citrus from the hops and then a bit of booze smell on the end. Very little to no rye in the scent that I could find. The taste had the hops and a bit of the booze but I got more of the rye on the finish for a semi-sweet taste. Not bad. Liked it a lot.

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Rye 95 from Two Roads Brewing Company