Road 2 Ruin - Two Roads Brewing Company

Road 2 RuinRoad 2 Ruin

Two Roads Brewing Company visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Beer added by: alexgash on 12-21-2012

A big, hoppy IPA with plenty of bite! Our assertive, hop-centric Double IPA has a lean malt backdrop and is brewed with four American hop varieties – Summit, Palisade, Cascade and Magnum. Piney, citrus, floral, not-for-the-timid!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Road 2 Ruin Alström Bros
Ratings: 762 | Reviews: 105

Quite possibly the best IPA I've ever had. A must try.

One of the best IPAs I have ever tasted if not THE best. Hoppy and fruity, yet on the light side. Update...the gf and I both did a blind taste test and both choose this beer over Hedy topper by the slimmest ....and I mean slimmest of margins. Later found out from the bartender that this a contract beer from Lawsons finest liquids...no wonder it tastes so darn good. The people rating this beer clearly do not know a good ipa when they taste one. They must be budweiser fans.

4.98/5  rDev +27.4%

My favorite IPA! Super tasty and bold. CT brews all the way!

4.89/5  rDev +25.1%

Although, it is not a Heady or a Sip of Sunshine, it is a close 2nd and a very worthy DIPA !!

4.83/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Absolutely love this double ipa the brewery is local to me and enjoy it on a daily basis with no complaints

4.77/5  rDev +22%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thin for a stout and very hoppy. Bold taste with a strong aftertaste. Very good.

4.77/5  rDev +22%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very good beer, good color, smell and flavor

4.76/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A beer that took me by surprise with a great flavor and a kick with the alcohol.

4.74/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great tasting beer! So fruity.

4.72/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This IPA has a delicious grapefruit/pine profile with a body that's heavy enough to carry its strength. It is my current favorite and, happily, produced about 10 minutes from my home. Is CT the new home of the best IPA?

4.71/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fantastic IPA. This is my go to beer for most occasions

4.65/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Perfectly balanced hop jam down, underrated

4.64/5  rDev +18.7%

A nice hoppy bite with a small "bite" at the end.
Strong hoppy aroma but doesn't taste as strong.

4.55/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Received this on a trade and man is it good! I have no idea why the ratings are so low on this one (when did low mean high 80s, oh well, so it is!).

Appearance: Looks like apple juice, I am changing up my description nice light foamy head lays upon the top as you drink through it. Fairly clear but has a nice reddish gold hue to it.

Aroma: Pretty light but nice tropical fruits and hops are the dominant flavor profile. This one smells like a lot of highly rated beers but is probably much easier to get. I still don't get the lower ratings.

Taste: Nice tropical hops, smooth taste, very reminiscent of Jai Alai or some of those that are more juicy and balanced than bruising hop bitterness.

Overall: I still cannot figure out the lower ratings, this is a very solid beer and I greatly appreciate the opportunity to try it. The photo shows a bottle but this one came in a tallboy can! Love that!

4.49/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my third Road2Ruin in 2 weeks, after never having it before. I only rate my first beer of the evening. The taste is very consistent.

It pours a cloudy Golden, but with a Wonderful full head which endures for the duration.

This is a very tasty beer, if you like hops. It leaves a slight aftertaste of hops rattling around like a pin ball ringing a few extra bells on its way down.

This beer would pair well with hearty meat like a steak or ribs. It would hold up well outdoors in the cold, like when tailgating in December or January or hot tubing at the slopes.

4.48/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Slightly bitter, subtle citrus flavors, nice finish.

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: good thick head, great lacing on glass.

S: pine resin, nectarine, and pineapple among others. Wow.

T: the nose doesn't lie, very juicy tropical like flavors, with the pine more in the background.

M: it's got a medium body. Nice feel.

O: GREAT new beer from a CT brewery. Great balance, flavors, and aroma. This beer can hang with the big boys from the east to the west. I'm proud. Very proud.

4.43/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a great double IPA! Nice and hoppy! Two roads brewing has yet to disappoint!!

4.42/5  rDev +13%

Strong lemon peel aroma, good strong citrusy hops with a nice bitter kick at the end. Could have used a little more alcohol in the nose and flavor with the abv(7.8%). Otherwise, excellent.

4.41/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a Tree House tulip.

a: Nearly clear amber with a finger thick white head which receded slowly to thick surface foam and dense lacing.

s; Moderate to intense citrus and pine.

t: Strong citrus to resin hop bite over a nice smooth malt base. Bitterness stings the sides of the tongue. Dry to bitter finish.

m: Moderate to full with great body. Very smooth, approaching silky.

o: A really fine DIPA with everything going for it. As good as almost any of the far more popular versions out there. My first Two Roads will not be my last.

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

Amidst picking up supplies for the snow storm we're having in CT, I decided to also stock up on some brews. My local package store just put this out on the shelves and the labeling caught my eye, enough for me to read the packaging. Saw they made a double IPA and CT brewed so I had to give it a try, glad I did. Here's the review:

Poured from the bottle into my nonic pint glass. Upon opening the bottle I could immediately detect that wonderful piney, citrusy aroma. The pour left a slight off white head that produced some thick lacing down the side of the glass.

Smell - They hit the nail on the head for the Aroma - Very complex, a lot of deep pine, citrus and grapefruit resins.

Taste - The taste follows through with the nose - the hops balance out the malt, which isn't overly sweet and has a nice hop bite with a dry finish. The Flavors coat the palate quite nicely!

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with the right amount of carbonation for the style. The carbonation brings out the flavor and bitterness quite well.

Overall - There's only certain CT breweries I'll purchase beer from, and now Two Roads Brewing is my next favorite. What you have here, folks, is a solid IPA. I could imagine sitting down and having a few of these. It's going very well with the snowfall that we're having and the ABV provides some nice warming notes to ward off the chills.

Great job!

4.34/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Gift from a good friend. Thanks C-Rad.

Dark copper color with off white head.

Aroma is amazing. Piney resinous oily goodness. Grapefruit citrus acidity with an overwhelming bloom.

Taste is bitter going in and bitter on the back end (undersides of the tongue). Malt to balance, but it is really a bitter brew. Boozy but not too intense. Tasty.

Mouthfeel is right on. Full and sharp.

Outstanding beer. Everything I look for in an IPA.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This was a total surprise. We had just brought this beer along with a few others from Two Roads.
I really didnt know what to expect. It was really nice to see we are making better and better beers in Connecticut.

I had this beer at the start of Super Bowl 45. The pour was somewhat of a dirty amber. Didn't look real clean, but there was nothing foggy about it. Just to me, the color was strange.

The aroma was so very nice. Boy, do I love to put my nose inside a glass of super IBU IPAs.

At the first sip, my nose didn; let down my palate. This beer had all the typical bouquets of a fresh IPA, the citrus, grapefruit and perhaps apple/melon. Once the beer hit my tongue it started to bounce around my mouth. Sort of my built in reaction to hoppy beers. It was close to a perfect nose/taste that I've had, especially in a beer I really didnt know about.

The after taste was just as rewarding as the first taste. My bomber size of Road 2 Ruin was finished almost before the Ravens built up a strong lead.

A gem in CT

4.31/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Two roads road2ruin from notes

Picked up locally bottle dated 2/21/2014
enjoyed in a two roads snifter

a - brew pours a transparent orange with a finger of head and spotty lacing. Some visible carbonation. 4

s - nose is a nice blast of citrus. Not too bitter, not too sweet...just right. Smells fantastic. 4.75

t/m - the citric blast from the nose hits my palate first and is then immediately washed over with bitterness. Really nice IIPA but a touch too heavy on the bitterness. As my palate adjusts I overcome the bitterness and experience that wonderful fruitiness. Medium bodied and a bit chewy. Bitter aftertaste 4.25 3.75

o - overall I am fairly impressed with this beer. A very worthy IIPA 4.25

4.31/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12 oz bottle into willy glass. Pours clear golden-yellow with a finger of tight, pure white head. Nice citrus and pine in the aroma. Piney and dank combined with herbage and citrus in the taste, plus just a bit of malty sweetness. Mouth is dry and refreshing, with perfect carbonation. Overall, a really nice and fairly priced DIPA.

Road 2 Ruin from Two Roads Brewing Company