Road 2 Ruin - Two Roads Brewing Company

Road 2 RuinRoad 2 Ruin

Two Roads Brewing Company visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Beer added by: alexgash on 12-21-2012

A big, hoppy IPA with plenty of bite! Our assertive, hop-centric Double IPA has a lean malt backdrop and is brewed with four American hop varieties – Summit, Palisade, Cascade and Magnum. Piney, citrus, floral, not-for-the-timid!

One of the best IPAs I have ever tasted if not THE best. Hoppy and fruity, yet on the light side. Update...the gf and I both did a blind taste test and both choose this beer over Hedy topper by the slimmest ....and I mean slimmest of margins. Later found out from the bartender that this a contract beer from Lawsons finest liquids...no wonder it tastes so darn good. The people rating this beer clearly do not know a good ipa when they taste one. They must be budweiser fans. (479 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This IPA has a delicious grapefruit/pine profile with a body that's heavy enough to carry its strength. It is my current favorite and, happily, produced about 10 minutes from my home. Is CT the new home of the best IPA? (219 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle. Excellent Double IPA. Great taste and smell. Smooth going down. Medium to Dark looking. Picked this up at a local store in CONN. I have found it locally also. The name says it all. Drink a couple of these and you better pick the correct road. (250 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Received this on a trade and man is it good! I have no idea why the ratings are so low on this one (when did low mean high 80s, oh well, so it is!).

Appearance: Looks like apple juice, I am changing up my description nice light foamy head lays upon the top as you drink through it. Fairly clear but has a nice reddish gold hue to it.

Aroma: Pretty light but nice tropical fruits and hops are the dominant flavor profile. This one smells like a lot of highly rated beers but is probably much easier to get. I still don't get the lower ratings.

Taste: Nice tropical hops, smooth taste, very reminiscent of Jai Alai or some of those that are more juicy and balanced than bruising hop bitterness.

Overall: I still cannot figure out the lower ratings, this is a very solid beer and I greatly appreciate the opportunity to try it. The photo shows a bottle but this one came in a tallboy can! Love that! (901 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my third Road2Ruin in 2 weeks, after never having it before. I only rate my first beer of the evening. The taste is very consistent.

It pours a cloudy Golden, but with a Wonderful full head which endures for the duration.

This is a very tasty beer, if you like hops. It leaves a slight aftertaste of hops rattling around like a pin ball ringing a few extra bells on its way down.

This beer would pair well with hearty meat like a steak or ribs. It would hold up well outdoors in the cold, like when tailgating in December or January or hot tubing at the slopes. (573 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: good thick head, great lacing on glass.

S: pine resin, nectarine, and pineapple among others. Wow.

T: the nose doesn't lie, very juicy tropical like flavors, with the pine more in the background.

M: it's got a medium body. Nice feel.

O: GREAT new beer from a CT brewery. Great balance, flavors, and aroma. This beer can hang with the big boys from the east to the west. I'm proud. Very proud. (400 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

Strong lemon peel aroma, good strong citrusy hops with a nice bitter kick at the end. Could have used a little more alcohol in the nose and flavor with the abv(7.8%). Otherwise, excellent. (189 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a Tree House tulip.

a: Nearly clear amber with a finger thick white head which receded slowly to thick surface foam and dense lacing.

s; Moderate to intense citrus and pine.

t: Strong citrus to resin hop bite over a nice smooth malt base. Bitterness stings the sides of the tongue. Dry to bitter finish.

m: Moderate to full with great body. Very smooth, approaching silky.

o: A really fine DIPA with everything going for it. As good as almost any of the far more popular versions out there. My first Two Roads will not be my last. (570 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

Amidst picking up supplies for the snow storm we're having in CT, I decided to also stock up on some brews. My local package store just put this out on the shelves and the labeling caught my eye, enough for me to read the packaging. Saw they made a double IPA and CT brewed so I had to give it a try, glad I did. Here's the review:

Poured from the bottle into my nonic pint glass. Upon opening the bottle I could immediately detect that wonderful piney, citrusy aroma. The pour left a slight off white head that produced some thick lacing down the side of the glass.

Smell - They hit the nail on the head for the Aroma - Very complex, a lot of deep pine, citrus and grapefruit resins.

Taste - The taste follows through with the nose - the hops balance out the malt, which isn't overly sweet and has a nice hop bite with a dry finish. The Flavors coat the palate quite nicely!

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with the right amount of carbonation for the style. The carbonation brings out the flavor and bitterness quite well.

Overall - There's only certain CT breweries I'll purchase beer from, and now Two Roads Brewing is my next favorite. What you have here, folks, is a solid IPA. I could imagine sitting down and having a few of these. It's going very well with the snowfall that we're having and the ABV provides some nice warming notes to ward off the chills.

Great job! (1,380 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Gift from a good friend. Thanks C-Rad.

Dark copper color with off white head.

Aroma is amazing. Piney resinous oily goodness. Grapefruit citrus acidity with an overwhelming bloom.

Taste is bitter going in and bitter on the back end (undersides of the tongue). Malt to balance, but it is really a bitter brew. Boozy but not too intense. Tasty.

Mouthfeel is right on. Full and sharp.

Outstanding beer. Everything I look for in an IPA. (438 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This was a total surprise. We had just brought this beer along with a few others from Two Roads.
I really didnt know what to expect. It was really nice to see we are making better and better beers in Connecticut.

I had this beer at the start of Super Bowl 45. The pour was somewhat of a dirty amber. Didn't look real clean, but there was nothing foggy about it. Just to me, the color was strange.

The aroma was so very nice. Boy, do I love to put my nose inside a glass of super IBU IPAs.

At the first sip, my nose didn; let down my palate. This beer had all the typical bouquets of a fresh IPA, the citrus, grapefruit and perhaps apple/melon. Once the beer hit my tongue it started to bounce around my mouth. Sort of my built in reaction to hoppy beers. It was close to a perfect nose/taste that I've had, especially in a beer I really didnt know about.

The after taste was just as rewarding as the first taste. My bomber size of Road 2 Ruin was finished almost before the Ravens built up a strong lead.

A gem in CT (1,021 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Two roads road2ruin from notes

Picked up locally bottle dated 2/21/2014
enjoyed in a two roads snifter

a - brew pours a transparent orange with a finger of head and spotty lacing. Some visible carbonation. 4

s - nose is a nice blast of citrus. Not too bitter, not too sweet...just right. Smells fantastic. 4.75

t/m - the citric blast from the nose hits my palate first and is then immediately washed over with bitterness. Really nice IIPA but a touch too heavy on the bitterness. As my palate adjusts I overcome the bitterness and experience that wonderful fruitiness. Medium bodied and a bit chewy. Bitter aftertaste 4.25 3.75

o - overall I am fairly impressed with this beer. A very worthy IIPA 4.25 (706 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12 oz bottle into willy glass. Pours clear golden-yellow with a finger of tight, pure white head. Nice citrus and pine in the aroma. Piney and dank combined with herbage and citrus in the taste, plus just a bit of malty sweetness. Mouth is dry and refreshing, with perfect carbonation. Overall, a really nice and fairly priced DIPA. (349 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a just purchased 12 ounce bottle into a Lagunitas Large Mouth Glass.

A--An orange/copper color with a 1 finger frothy heady. Looks very nice in the glass with good carbonation and solid lacing
S--Definite citrus/pine notes present. Hints of grapefruit and pineapple dominate along with a delicious hop aroma

T--That wonderful IPA taste of grapefruit, pineapple, and hops all blended with a delicious caramel malt. Some bitterness, but bitterness is not significant. Good hop finish with hints of pepper left over

M--Easy to drink with good carbonation and a medium body

O--A very, very nice job for Two Roads' first foray into the IPA world. A very nice, hoppy DIPA. The alcohol content makes this DIPA eminently drinkable. Glad I purchased as 6 pack, as am already reaching for another. Cheers!!! (814 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +7.8%

Looks good, smells great but stop right there. I expect to be overwhelmed by Hoppy heaveness, but it just wasn't there.it is a good beer, better than average. (158 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This beer sent me into a tizzy of researching hop strains. It's Summit, Palisade, Cascade, and Magnum. The appearance is a mild orange, smell is citrus, slight grapefruit, floral. The taste, as advertised, has bite, and kick; I get an interesting piney mix of floral with some citrus overtones that I think come from the combination of the Palisade and Summit hops, respectively. The mouthfeel is just where it should be to let you taste the flavor profile without too much carbonation. I was pleasantly surprised by this beer in more ways than one: I bought a six pack of something else and a couple bottle of this were in there; a happy mistake. (647 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16 oz can poured into a pub-style pint glass.

Appearance
Gold with 2 fingers of creamy head. Excellent clarity with moderate carbonation.

Nose
Dank greens, wintergreen, pine sap, orange citrus, pineapple, papaya, and candy sugar.

Taste
Dank greens, wintergreen, and pine sap. Lighter notes of papaya, orange citrus, and grapefruit zest. Light caramel and candy sugar malt backbone. Finishes with some florals and pine needles.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, juicy, smooth, oily, and semi-dry with a light bitterness.

Overall
Dank, juicy, and candy-like with a light bitterness. The alcohol is well hidden. Good stuff! (616 characters)

12 oz. bottle.

Hazy, sediment-laden, orange copper body. Tall, rocky, light beige cushion of foam. Nice lacing. Fresh hop nose, with notes of pine sap, lemon zest, resin funk, and herbal goodness. Lean sugar cookie malt hides.

Toasted grain quickly gives way to pungent herbal and resinous hop flavor and bitterness. Sugar cookie and tropical fruit malt background. Mango and pineapple mid-palate. Resinous, piny, dank hop bitterness increases into the long, hoppy finish. Lingering caramel and fruit malt. Medium-bodied with a creamy, lightly carbonated (caskish) mouthfeel. Very nice and a welcome addition to the Connecticut beer scene! (646 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Way better than I expected... Doesn't quite have the "assertive hop bite" that it promised; I was indeed looking forward to it! Label also says "not for the faint of heart;" it's really not a beast, just a very good East Coast IPA! (Hmm, maybe they splash a lil Sip of Sunshine into every bottle?) (297 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Poured from the pint-sized can into a Spiegelau tulip. Body is a nice glowing orange when modestly backlit. A 2-finger fluffy, foamy white head sits on top - and sits, and sits, and sits. . . . lots of staying power/retention on that head.

S: Sugar-cookie cookie dough and modest caramel malt foundation. Light tropical fruity hops afterwards.

T: Very, very pleasant. Not earth-shattering, but quite tasty, with a lot going on. Sugar cookie dough again, a lot of caramel malt, and then a nice hoppiness that's predominantly tropical fruit and modest citrus. Finishes with nice lemony bitterness. I'm tempted to bump up the score here.

M: Good creaminess, close to full in body.

O: A very good DIPA. (710 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a stemmed tulip.
Pours a clear medium amber color with 1.5 fingers of head.
Smells insane. Huge hoppiness in the nose with tons of tropical fruit.
Taste is delicious. Tons of fruit, sweetness, good bitterness that lingers. A good deal of malt that is reminiscent of west coast IPA, but this has way more hop profile.
Finishes a bit sweet from the malt.
This beer I feel is underrated on BA. This is delicious. (443 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Slightly hazy light copper color. head dissipates into a very thin white layer. not much lacing at all

S: Nice balance of fruity/citrusy hops and piney/dank hops. The fresher the beer is the more you get the flowery/citrusy hops. Slight malt sweetness to the smell

T: Pine and lots of citrus character, backed up nicely by a malty backbone

M: Medium, standard for an IPA of this size

O: A VERY good beer from two roads. I've had this a few times before from a bottle and I was sort of disappointed because I love what Two Roads is doing and I love their Workers Comp and No Limits Hefeweizen. But then I had a sip from one my friend got on draft at Coalhouse Pizza in Stamford and I did not believe him when he said it was road2ruin. It was an absolutely different beer, WAY better than I had remembered. Like with so many IPAs it's a sin not to drink this as fresh as you can - the one I'm having now is a week hold and it is fantastic. If you can't try this beer fresh you're missing out! (997 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Lightly weathered orange in color with a murky appearance. Poured with a billowy, soft, soapy white foam with good retention. Medium hop aroma for a DIPA. Fresh orange peel, tangerine and a light boozy note. Very light malt aroma. Medium bodied and smooth, with medium carbonation. Despite the booziness this isn't solvent. No astringency. Medium high hop flavors and medium bitterness for a DIPA. Intense citrus orange and tangerine flavors through the middle tapering to herbal, lightly spicy flavors. Finished dryly with a burst of citrus hop flavor followed by lingering pine hop bitterness. A pleasant warming booziness at the finish. A well balanced DIPA that is easy on the bitterness allowing more of a hop flavor showcase. Very smooth and easy to drink despite the booziness. Not the typical bitter taste bud crushing DIPA. (832 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From a small grower I filled from a fresh and local keg a few hours ago....

Pours hazed almond amber, sturdy light tan head, stays forever and leaves rich sheeting and fields of frothy stick.

Resin, pine, leafy hops on the nose

Citric hops in place, plentiful grapefruit, lime, and pepper, over a base flavor profile of resiny and quite dry hops. Rich layers of hoppy goodness. This is a very solid DIPA. Nice to try a brew from one of Connicticut's newer breweries. (469 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

I recently made a day trip up to NYC to (finally) meet the wondrous JenRay, with whom I have made many, many CAN Trades and since she was east for work, it was decided that I should come up so that we could hang out. She took me to a Whole Foods, among many other places, which is where I got this.

From the bottle: "Temptingly Hoppy"; "Plenty of Bite"; "The Road Less Traveled"; "Temptingly Hoppy Ale"; "A big, hoppy IPA with plenty of bite. It would be a sin to resist."; "Here's to taking the road less traveled, in life and in beer!" The verbiage does not do it justice, however,as a snake with a hop cone entwined in its tail and Adam & Eve with strategically-placed hop cones are all pictured! Ha.

Once again, following my popping of the cap, a heavy-handed pour ensued. When I use a goblet, vice a shaker glass, the pseudo-cascade is more difficult to discern, but it happened. This resulted in two, dense, creamy fingers of tawny head with great retention. Color was a slightly hazy golden-yellow (SRM = > 5, < 7). Nose was mad citrus, yo! Grapefruit, pineapple, mango, papaya. Oh, man, after what I had been drinking today, I was starting to jones and in no small way. One sip and I was gone, baby! I mean, sent., dig? The way the beautiful hops just laid it on my tongue like they were old friends was just beautiful. Man, I was seeing a psychedelic light show and it was still light out! The tropical fruit number was gone, man, like outta sight. I was grooving and there was no stopping me now. This is how The Woodman gets his kicks when The Old Lady isn't around. Wow, what a gas! That Eve chick came over and sat in my lap while her Old Man, Adam-ski, goggled the whole show for his own groovy kick. What a scene, man. I looked over Eve-baby's shoulder at the lacing in my glass and all of a sudden, I saw my monkey crawl down from the ceiling and take up his rightful position on my back. It suddenly dawned on me that beer this wild should be illegal. I mean, what if some non-hophead type were to lay claws on a bottle? Dig, Daddy-O? Man, that cat would be in outer space with no hope of reentry. My reentry happened when the air seemed to suck out of the back of my throat and Evey-doll had to give me mouth-to-mouth, no tongue action, this time. Dry? Hell, yeah, man! No wonder they used crazy verbiage like "ruin" and sin". This beer will take you place you ain't coming back from. Proceed at your own risk. In the meantime, I'm lookin' to score and then the three of us are gonna have a jazzy menage a trois, dig? (2,544 characters)

Road 2 Ruin from Two Roads Brewing Company