Honeyspot Road White IPA - Two Roads Brewing Company

good

Two Roads Brewing Company visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Beer added by: tigg924 on 12-26-2012

The Two Roads interpretation of this emerging beer style naturally takes a road less traveled. Unlike other versions, ours employs an American ale yeast and no spices. The result is a soft wheat backdrop that accentuates the Pacific Northwest hop character.
to view more.
Ratings: 335 | Reviews: 48
3.57/5  rDev -0.3%

Bought a six pack at Table and Vine in West Springfield. Served in a pint glass.

The drink had a straw-yellow, cloudy appearance with a frothy head and patchy lacing. I could smell the honey flavor with some orange citrus and a wheat bread aroma. Taste was a malty sweetness mixed with a bready-lemon flavor. Medium body with a decent carbonation. Overall, a sweet IPA.

4.53/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Delicious, lemony, refreshing. Solid white IPA

3.71/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This white ipa kinda grew on me as I kept drinking. Malty, wheaty, hoppy and a nice spicy peppery finish. I dig it.

One of the best of Two Roads!

3.3/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint.

a: Straw to golden color. Slight haze. Nice white froth.

s: Citrus and wheat. Very light.

t: Medium body. Light hops. Crisp and refreshing. ( I had this beer a little on the cold side

o: Not a typical tasting IPA. But very nice. Two Roads has better.

3.45/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a whitish-golden hue with a huge frothy white head into my glass.

Sweet and slightly fruity upfront. The use of wheat is most obvious at this point.

Drinks as a hoppy wheat beer would.

Sweet, buttery and hoppy finish.

An interesting cross of styles that couldn't be further apart.

3.57/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: slightly hazy; pale straw in color; 1 finger white head that receded slowly to a thin, uneven cap; very nice, thick lacing;

S: a little restrained; citrusy hops, bready, what's there is nice;

T: a touch of bread, then tart grapefruit comes in; light to moderate bitterness starts at mid-palate;

M: light to medium bodied; moderate carbonation; refreshing; moderately dry finish;

O: tough to score this one; if I'm in the mood for an IPA, I'm never choosing this - it's a very nice beer, but a slightly different category;

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

Great beer from an amazing brewery

3.86/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured into a tulip glass. Hazy Golden color with a bit of orange. Good solid head and lacing. Smells of citrus, but very light. Not much of a smell, clean. Tastes crisp and refreshing. A little carbonation bite at first but a medium mouthfeel overall. Well balanced with a light grapefruit/citrus taste and a gentle hoppy finish. Flavorful but not spicy. A little dry. Not assertive but very drinkable. I enjoyed this one.

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

When poured, it's a little flaky, but given that I'm not generally big on IPAs, I rather enjoyed this because its floral tones aren't as prominent as most others like it. It's brewed with grapefruit, and it can be smelled and tasted.

3.61/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

NOT your standard IPA....this very Light, Crisp and Refreshing IPA...almost taste like a summer session ale....Not usually a LBIG fan of beers with too much Lemon & Citrus but I found this quite refreshing and would recommend HONEYSPOT during a hot summer day.

I love this beer. Its grapefruit taste is awesome.

3.44/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a hazy yellow /orange color with a bit of head that fizzes quickly. Smell of bread with some citrus on the end. The flavor was very good and surprising from an underwhelming smell. Full of citrus and mild fruits like banana make its way into the beer. Very refreshing beer, would definitely buy again.

4.75/5  rDev +32.7%

Great beer - I'm not usually an IPA person, but the esters of the wheat beer really balance out those usually hardcore American hops. Yum.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into Sierra Nevada Celebration pint glass.

The color is a bright, hazy yellow with some orange highlights and a thin amount of white head with no lacing left on the glass.

The smell is filled with a wheat aroma that has a touch sunflower. There is also a hint of honeysuckle and a slight bit of funk.

The taste has a sweet zing that pops at first sip. The wheat flavor that has some slight touches of lemon and honey. The hops seem to be in the far back of the flavor.The bitterness that is found here is only slight and has the smallest hints of a grassy flavor.

The feel of this beer is light with a nice drinkable feel. There is a bit of aftertaste that hangs just a bit. A decent summer beer.

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

12oz can: this one pours a cloudy, straw yellow color. There was a bit of a frothy white head that left some lacing. The nose is decent, even though a little subdued. Citrus and wheat are the main notes. A slight spiciness. The taste is good. Just a bit of a citrus hop bite, with a little wheat in the background. Slightly spicy and peppery. A nice beer!

3.37/5  rDev -5.9%

I bought a bottle of Honeyspot Road on a whim as it is not one of my normal drinking styles. Naturally, it made its way to the back of the fridge and sat for a bit before I popped it open to complete the review. It poured with a pale yellow color with a generous, foamy head. I first got the smell of fresh citrus as well as faint banana and clove. As I tipped it back I got a brief rush of hoppy notes that were quickly lifted by a yeasty finish. I'm not sure if it is because I didn't drink it at the peak of its freshness but I experienced much more of the traditional wheat-beer characteristics than other reviewer. It even gave me a mouthfeel that can only be described as "doughy". All in all this beer was serviceable and quelled my craft craving in a pinch. I won't run back to the store for more of this one but it was a solid offering that gets average marks from me.

4.21/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Good head which settles to bountiful stringy web lace. Very pale color--straw. Appears clear.

Very nice fresh hop smell despite the full bar pour. No notable wheat nose.

Not very wheaty. I'd describe this as an IPA first and foremost. Lightly biting white pepper aftertaste. Body neutral, carbonation elevated but in a good way. Overall, this is very easy to drink with lots of fresh hop flavor.

Newish brewery nearish me, my first real beer from them, with the other review being the raspberry wheat thing that I don't really count. Some attempt at a date, printing isn't the best, I think it says 3/23/14, but hard to tell.

Pours a decent fizzy fluffy 1 finger head, fades fairly slowly with nice soapy sticky lacing, super hazy golden yellow sun color.

NOse is pretty decent, esp for a white IPA, with some mild citrus and orange rind, a little bitter orange peel, nice orange flesh and juice, mild clementine and even a touch of tangerine. Behind that is a nice creamy wheat, a little orange creamscicle note, little floral hop note.

Taste starts with creamy wheat initially but that is quickly washed with clementine, orange juice and flesh, a nice citrus hop note with a little floral hop character as well. Creamy wheat with the orange juice bring a nice orange creamscicle as well, into mild zest bitter note but light overall bitterness, a hint of tangerine and orange peel, fairly juicy and light creamy feel adds a nice touch. Finish is dry, bitterness kicks in a bit more, hops turn a little spicy with more orange peel bitterness, and a touch of creamy wheat.

Mouth is med to lighter bod, nice creamy feel, creamy carbonation too.

Overall pretty nice, not usually a big fan of White IPAs, but this was a nice blend if light creamy wheat, orange juice and flesh, little bitter orange rind, clementine, etc. It didn't try to do too much, no over spices, no toasted in your face wheat, no crazy heavy hops that clash with wheat typically, pretty well done I think, esp for a 90 degree day.

4.12/5  rDev +15.1%

I was up to NYC a little over a month ago to visit the wondrous JenRay while she was in town for work and we happened upon several bottles at a Whole Foods Market where I picked up some of Two Roads' offerings.

From the bottle: "White IPA That Hits the Spot"; "Take a Direct Route to Hoppyness!"; "The Road Less Traveled"; "India Pale Ale with Wheat"; "Honeyspot Road White IPA is at the intersection of soft wheat character and bold, fruity hops. Honeyspot Road also happens to be the [highway] exit that leads to our 100 year old factory-turned-brewery [Exit 31]."; "Here's to taking the road less traveled, in life and in beer!"

Once again, I began with a heavy-handed pour, only to have to take my foot off of the gas to avert an overflow. I watched patiently as the three fingers of dense, foamy, bone-white head slowly fell, becoming liquid. Color was a hazy, very pale lemon-yellow (SRM = 2). As a previous reviewer noted, there were a good bit of floaties in evidence. Nose smelled strongly of lemon zest and my mouth began to water. Mouthfeel was medium and the immediate taste was of freshly squeezed grapefruit! I really liked the way that the wheat tempered some of the inherent intensity of the hops, retaining the flavor, but taking some of the edge off. I am a hophead and an AIPA fan, but sometimes the hops can be overwhelming. This is a perfect example of why I m a fan of this offshoot stye as opposed to its Black/Cascadian IPA brethren, which I disdain. In that style, the black/dark malts overwhelm the hops, while here, the hops are enhanced. Finish was semi-dry, thanks to the wheat, which took some of the edge off of the hops. Man, I could drink more of this, if only they would put it in CANs ...

3.92/5  rDev +9.5%

A: The beer is light yellow and very hazy in color with some fine particles visible floating in suspension along with a light amount of carbonation. It poured with a half finger high bright white head that took a long time to die down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface, a collar around the edge, and lots of lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of lemon and citrus hops are present in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has additional notes of wheat followed by strong notes of spicy hops towards the finish. It has a moderate to strong amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and very crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The wheat malts really help to lighten up the body of this beer and make it seem a lot hoppier than you would expect for a beer of this strength, as the bitterness approaches the level you would expect in an Imperial IPA. If you can handle the strong amount of hops, I would consider it to be sessionable.

3.36/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle picked up locally and enjoyed from a two roads snifter.
Bottled on valentines day so 2 months old.

a - brew pours a cloudy straw yellow. Has the look of a hefe. Nice frothy head that didn't hang out streaky lacing on the glass.

s - nose is soft tropical fruit. Floral and wheaty.

t - taste is soft honey lemon and light citrus. Fairly floral and wheat like.

m - a bit watery. Feels very light and soft, finishes a bit bitter.

o - aside from the bitter finish I would say that this is not an IPA. Even at 2 months post bottle really lacks the hop happiness required for the style. Comes across as a lemon and honey wheat ale. Not bad, not my thing. Too soft and fluffy.

3.59/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Crystal clear and pale yellow with a thin, fine, white cap supported by a constant stream of bubbles. Some sticky lacing. Citrus aroma, white grapefruit and lemons, mild malt sweetness with some spice. Moderate bitterness with a bit of fruity sweetness and slightly sharp citrus (lemon and grapefruit pith), a bit of tangerine. Light bodied with lively carbonation, a bit dry. Solid overall. I enjoyed the citrus character in this one.

3.64/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Served in a pint glass at the Union Brewhouse in Weymouth.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a slightly hazy pale yellow with good clarity of bubbles coming up through the glass. Super tight lacing on the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Tropical, grassy, resin pine, pale malts, bread malts, and floral.

Taste: Same as the aroma, but light characteristics with mild hop bitterness in the rear.

Mouthfeel: Light, crisp, refreshing, medium carbonation, and slightly chewy.

Overall: A nice refreshing wheat IPA. Simple and light. Ale yeast with all this wheat is a bit tough.

2.99/5  rDev -16.5%

Not bad for a white IPA. Timid, but with some body to give it a bit of spine.

Happened across this brewery this morning on the way to my worksite, came back in the late afternoon and found it to be a very nice place to try some craft beers. The woman behind the bar wasn't very communicative, like she'd done all this before, but to a newcomer the experience of finding a new brewery and a new experience is important.

Poured in a flight of 5 beers, the White IPA, the Road to Ruin Double IPA, the Rye 95 (play on I-95), a double bock, and one that was aged in rye whiskey barrels. Of all of them the Double IPA was the solid champion, but each was good in its own way.

The White IPA was quite pale, barely straw color, no particular nose, but a nice citrus-malt taste to it. Was the lightest of the bunch, so I made sure I drank that before moving on to the rest. Very mild brew. But not, like the night before at the Southport Brewing Company in Milford, where the bartender described an SBC beer to a customer, "its like a Miller Lite, but way better". This is a beer with character, but not in your face. I'd probably have this again if I ever find my way back here.

However, the Double IPA was outstanding, and with its relatively low alcohol content, enjoyable beyond the first few sips.

Tommy Noonan, retired cop from Bridgeport, came over and interrupted my reverie of beer, but it ended up being an excellent conversation, and I now have an appreciation for Connecticut history that I didn't know before. I mean, I know of Ely Whitney and the cotton gin, the field-serviceable firearms, but for some reason I'd associated Mr Whitney with the southern states, and Mr Noonan corrected my misassumptions! We had a great time, enjoyed many different ales, and made me realize that coming back to Two Roads was a must-do. I'll have the White IPA again, and certainly the Double.

to view more.