Conntucky Lightnin' Bourbon Ale - Two Roads Brewing Company

good

Two Roads Brewing Company visit their website
Connecticut, United States

American Strong Ale |  8.50% ABV

The Connecticut Yankees of Two Roads have CONNjured up this moonshine inspired bourbon-like ale. Using good ol' USA corn grits and aged in real bourbon barrels from a famous Kentucky distillery, this unique CONNcoction includes notes of whiskey, oak and vanilla. It should make your taste buds happier than a pig in "____"

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-08-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Conntucky Lightnin' Bourbon Ale Alström Bros
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

Jason, Jun 01, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

woodchipper, Jun 16, 2013

SmellsofMahagony, Oct 22, 2013
3.92/5  rDev +7.1%

Doomcifer, Aug 16, 2014
3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance: 1.5 inch head, high carbonation, clear, golden-brown in color

Smell: Citrus hops and light oak--very inviting

Taste: sweet corn to start, the oak comes in the middle and is dry to the end, citrus hops are also fairly present.

Mouthfeel: medium body, high carbonation, sweetish start follow by bitterness which dominates and mixes with some oak.

Overall: I usually love Two Roads brews, but to me this was a bit lacking after the wonderful smell. The bitterness was a bit overpowering at times. There was not any sweetness or vanilla that I generally associate with beers of the style. It tasted like a malt liquor with more oaking, not bad, but just not up to the same quality I associate with Two Roads.

tigg924, Sep 09, 2013

alienlifeforcecube, Jun 28, 2014
3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

750{?} ml bottle.
Deductions for overly thin body and a hint of tobacco smoke.
Moderate bourbon barrel but perhaps a bit more than the underlying malt/hop load can withstand gracefully.

chinchill, Sep 07, 2014

acurtis, Oct 21, 2013
3.43/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The pour was a very light amber with hardly any noticeable head. The aroma was typical of ales that have been aged in whiskey casks. It was a pleasant aroma with the absence of any detectable hops, citrus etc. I could smell that this was going to be a bit malty.

The first taste was nice, big, soft and round. The whiskey overtone was not too pronounced and didn't hit you in the face. That was done, then on the second sip, I had the same impression as when I finished my first one. The finish and aftertaste basically dropped off. There wasnt much left to feel, in fact, it picked up a stranger taste that I have not been able to put my finger on.

rdilauro, Jun 14, 2013

The_Craft_Deviant_Rob, Jun 08, 2014

threephase, Apr 23, 2014

hoppymcgee, Jul 09, 2014

RMoeNay, Jun 17, 2013

A: deep amber ale, hazed opacity; few fingers of tan head slimmed to a persistent cap; some lace trails

S: sweet wet fruit, pale, orchard-style; bourbon barrel oak; something spicy about the fruit; little herbal and floral

T: fat wet fruit and malt, bourbon barrel flavors woven throughout; hints of spiced amber orchard fruit, like apricot, maybe overripe, and fermenting...

M: slightly chewy but fuzzy and soft; medium-weight, plush feel across the palate; tingly; just a hint of drying on the finish

O: admittedly partial to this type of ale, I am pleased with Two Roads product. Lush and rustic, with a drinkable abv. Most of the reviews are for last year's batch - as of this, I'm only the second reviewer in 2014. Give it a try - it's not polished like Curieux or Doom, but it's a very enjoyable ale. Recommended.

Greywulfken, Jul 20, 2014

campfirebrew, Sep 09, 2013
2.2/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Picked up at the wine and spirits co. These have been on their shelves for a couple weeks now. Honestly, the labeling of this kept me away for a while as it sounded like too much of one flavor going into the beer. Corn grits and then bourbon barrels? Why both?! Was it too cheap to make it with just one?

As such, my hopes for this continued to be pretty low after I popped the cork. Aroma was boozy, with little to detect other than a fierce bitterness and corn grain alcohol. Poured exceedingly foamy with decent retention. Nice lookin' beer, at least.

Overall, it had a pretty bland american ale/strong ale body to it but with a very bitter kick of starchiness that dominated the entire palate. This beer did not let too many nuances peek their little heads out from the pillow of bitter corniness. Finish was unpleasant and it took a while to clear out the taste. Yet I still had more. Maybe the profile would change as it warmed? Nope. Even worse.

Tastes stronger than it is, which is impressive at 8.5%. Sure it's different, and a flavor profile several highway lanes from anything I've never had before. The bottle hints at hick dialect and moonshine culture and I'll be damned if this doesn't fit the bill. Yet, while living in the south, I had two types of moonshine: straight corn, and fruited. It can almost go unsaid that I preferred the latter; people don't drink the former for taste. To be honest, I'm surprised I didn't taste this beer on the way out.

I realize this is meant to be my own review but the bottle was shared in small amounts with several friends, each of whom had a markedly negative response to the flavor. Not worth it for ME at any price, let alone the $14. None of us had the impression that there were any oxidation issues.

Barrel-aging lighter beers seems to be a relatively new thing, at least locally. To be honest, a lot of the $14-20+ 750s I've had should have been brewed at least one more time as a test batch before being produced en masse. As much as I want to support the explorations of the breweries in this state, releasing something this unbalanced really turns me off to making another investment into a big bottle until I've gone out of my way finding a bar that has it on draft for a sample.

This is literally one of the worst craft beers I have ever had and THE WORST barrel-aged beer I have bought at a store and its sole personal merit was its creativity.

Lupin, Jul 05, 2013