Microbrew Invitational

No Limits HefeweizenNo Limits Hefeweizen

Two Roads Brewing Company
Connecticut, United States | website

Style: Hefeweizen

Brewmaster Phil Markowski has taken a “bahn” less traveled to create our version of the classic Bavarian wheat brew –perfect for the warming temperatures. Beautifully cloudy with a generous head of foam, a wonderful fruit aroma and a dry finish, our Hefeweizen is a refreshing version of the original; with just a little bit more of everything.

Added by Jason on 05-29-2013

Reviews: 40 | Ratings: 304
Reviews by jfcaa193:

3.47/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I'm a big fan of Hefeweizens, having consumed/rated just about all the German ones (plus the awesome Kellerweis from SN), along with all the other iterations such as dunkelweizens, weizenbocks, kristalweizens, etc. I've drank them here at home and at their place of birth in Munich. I know a good hefeweizen when I drink one and this No Limits brew just misses the mark by a bit. It's tasty and refreshing for the summer but the yeast profile lacks that characteristic "oomph" that you get from the opaque German versions.

Pours slightly hazy, golden, with a small head. Aroma is very understated, mostly wheat with some yeast notes. It has a moderate hefe flavor with a bit of tang coupled with some sweetness from the light malts. It has potential but will need some more attention. This is basically a cross between your typical american pale wheat ale and a hefeweizen.

2.98/5  rDev -19.2%

I was up in NYC last weekend to finally meet the great JenRay in person after oh-so-many CAN Trades with her in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM) and I even scored some new CANs over the course of the afternoon! What a coup.

From the CAN: "2R:HEF3"; "Take the Bahn Less Traveled"; "Here's to taking the road less traveled, in life and in beer!"

The Crack! was music to mine ears, but an inverted Glug was not to be since it was a pint CAN and this was a super-carbonated beer and foam was its middle name. I have to admit, though, the two-plus finger cap of dense, bone-white head looked like the top of a lemon meringue pie. I was a little disappointed by the beer's presentation, though, as it was hazy but not cloudy. Color was a light lemon-yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose was kind of muted, but the banana and pink bubble gum was there. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was very muted for the style. Bubble gum was the main flavor, but it just lacked Oomph. I kept agitating the CAN in the hopes of stirring up some lees, but it was not happening. Finish was watery, semi-dry, moderately disappointing in total. I do not know if they filtered it (I hope not), but I think that they could leave more yeast in it to make the flavors more pronounced.

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Cloudy tawny colour with a fluffy, bright white head that stood and inch and a half above the beer. Good head retention with chunky lacing. Banana and clove aroma, maltiness, a bit of lemon and hint of bubblegum. Mild bitterness with some fruity, citrus sweetness. More banana and clove character, citrus in the finish. Full bodied, moderate carbonation, off dry. Very easy drinking, nice balance of flavours.

3.51/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.43/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.47/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Delicious and refreshing, but not exceptional. Certainly not a "bad" beer by any stretch of the imagination, but there's nothing that grabs me and says "wow" about it either.

3.9/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

16oz tallboy can with no freshness date.

Look: Cloudy pale yellow, great looking lacing on the glass

Smell: Banana taffy, powdered clove, chalky yeast, apple skin, bready, faint bandaid

Taste: Big crispness, very smooth, clove, plantains, spice, banana pith, doughy malt, mild bubblegum, light hopping, grainy finish, ends nearly all the way dry

Hits all of the bells and whistles and then some, perhaps not as mellow as some but none of its attributes are more than any other. Seek it out if you are into wheat beers.

3.79/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Tall boy 16 oz. can, w/o freshness or canning date info.(there is something printed on the bottom of the can, but it is unintelligible)

Pours heavily hazed, lighter tangerine with a lemony hue. Fluffy and lasting one inch cap. Leaves ample and staying ringed strands of lace.

Bananas, wheat malts and light sugar on the nose.

On the palate its more of the same, mostly mild notes of bananas and sweet malts.

Decent Hefe and in a can to boot....worth a try

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

Had on tap at the brewery

Appearance: 1/4 inch frothy head, moderate carbonation, bright yellow in color, hazy

Smell: banana and clove

Taste: wheat, clove, orange, and banana

Mouthfeel: sweet start with a slightly bitter middle and a sweeter end, medium carbonation and bodied

Overall: Two Roads has wowed me so far by putting an extra and surprising element into their beers. This I feel is very solid, true to style, but does not have that wow factor that their other beers have had. I like it, but there are other hefs that I like more.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

3.96/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

2.78/5  rDev -24.7%

Wanting to try another local beer. This one did catch my attention since it was a Hefeweizen, so I was looking for the typical spices, the wheat and the overall taste.
Not a lot to say about the pour. Some what uneventful. The nose, bouquet and aroma ( they can all be the same at times) picked up the wheat and coriander marks. This one was full of coriander.
The initial taste was fine, full and soft, but on the after taste, the strong coriander flavor stayed too long.
I think I would have enjoyed this one more if there was more of a cirrus flavor. There was some lemon at the end, but it seemed to be more of a sweet, sugary lemon, than natural.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Two Roads Brewing Company "No Limits Hefeweizen"
16 fl. oz. can, code is illegible but looks like "10/10/15" on 04/28/16
$3.75 @ The Beer Shoppe, Ardmore, PA

I don't normally use the proper glassware for reviewing a beer, but for this one I did given it so greatly affects head retention (although I'll admit to using a smaller .3 liter version).

First person/real time: Banana is apparent as I pour. The head is easy to keep in check, and I need to rough it up a bit to get a full head. The head drops fairly readily despite the rising plumes of fine bubbles below, yet it maintains a solid creamy cap. It's a hazy golden in color, and a swirl of the can and secondary pour doesn't seem to deliver any more yeast. Yes, banana, clove, and sweetish wheat in the nose. I don't get the phenols found in a Weihenstephaner, nor do I see it as quite like Spaten's Franziskaner, but I peg it about halfway between - which really means nothing other than that, I'm not trying to determine their yeast, just to give you an idea of what I'm thinking. It's soft and smooth in the flavor, adding a note of vanilla that softens it a bit. It's sweetish but not sweet, and there's an edge of 'spice' that helps to balance it. Hmmm, I've just drained the can and I've still got a full 0,3 l in front of me. At this point the head is starting to become whispy in parts, although it remains solid; and the lacing is limited. There's more fruit to it than just banana, and I'm getting juicy apple and plum, perhaps even a touch of pear - also a hint of background lemon. It's almost pleasant enough just to smell it rather than drink it! Of course I'm drawn back, and it's one of those really drinkable weizens that just compels you, through whatever means, to keep taking another sip. (If only the weather hadn't suddenly turned bleak and cold, I might imagine myself on a sun-shaded lawn atop the bierkellar). The balance leans towards sweetness but that's a matter of taste, and I'd say it's rather impeccable, as are almost all of the beers from Two Roads. There are background hops to it, gently herbal and grassy, and perhaps even spicy - although that's probably coming from the yeast. Looking at the current BeerAdvocate score of "83 good" with 39 reviews I'm quite surprised. I've had weizens in Germany that haven't matched it in terms of balance and overall flavor; and although I will say that I'd like a bit more carbonation to it (and with that comes just a flicker more of acidity), I can certainly understand why it's carbonation is limited. I'll be needing a case of this at least, and perhaps a keg, unless of course it's cheaper to actually buy an import. Really nicely done.

3.35/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Slightly hazy golden color with a white head that goes away completely. Aroma has wheat and a tart, lime note. Taste is also slightly tart with wheat and some spicy yeast esters. Medium-light body with crisp carbonation. Not bad but it's nowhere near a traditional hefeweizen.

3.92/5  rDev +6.2%

4.31/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

No Limits Hefeweizen from Two Roads Brewing Company