Dean Pacific Northwest Mahogany Ale - SingleCut Beersmiths

No picture uploaded.

SingleCut Beersmiths visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: vfgccp on 12-10-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dean Pacific Northwest Mahogany Ale Alström Bros

4.69/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Had on tap at the brewery (very cool space, today they're playing customer LP's)

A: As advertised, deep red/mahogany color with off-white head. Excellent lacing

S: Heavy pine and woody malt

T: Semi sharp pine with mild grapefruit. Interesting mix of malt: chocolate, dark raisin crystal, toffee and toast.

M: Smooth

O: Dang unique and does remind me of something I'd drink in Oregon

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

I had the pleasure of drinking this unassuming beer at the Single Cut taproom recently. I believe this to be one of their sleepers. If I'm not mistaken it's one of their longest-running offerings (since day one maybe?) so while you don't get the buzz and hype that a seasonal might bring, with Dean Mahogany Ale you're just getting a solid, hoppy, delicious amber.

It looked great in the glass. Quite literally mahogany in color with a cream-colored head.

The aroma was wonderful, almost surprising. I can't explain it, I felt like it should have smelled toasted or something because it's almost a dark-beer, but it was a bit fruity if that makes any sense.

It's always hard for me to describe mouthfeel, unless I experience something truly offensive it's just not something I'm very good at determining. This beer was pleasant in my mouth, it was smooth and served at the right temperature, so I'll leave it at that.

This is definitely a pint I could drink multiples of, and I certainly did. The Single Cut lineup can be a tad daunting, perhaps even ambitious, but do not overlook this one, I think it's worth serious consideration as one of their best.

4.41/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Serving Type - 16oz at the Singlecut Brewpub, review from notes and memory

A - a deep mahogany red, really looks great. Lets some light through, but less than one would expect from a red ale. Has a brownish tinge to it.

S - Smells like fresh hops, it's amazing how much hop aroma character is maintained in this beer. The best smelling red ale I have ever had, very comparable to the best smelling IPA's I've had.

T - smooth hoppy goodness! less bitter than I expected from the smell, but a great and very floral hop taste. It drinks much like a pale ale, but had more of a malt base it it, balanced very well. Also, the bitterness reaches a sweet spot where it is very enjoyably bitter, but not so much that you can't drink a lot of it. Sessionable in my opinion.

M - smooth and very drinkable, and greatly compliments the the taste.

O - great beer from a great new brewery. I love the sweet spot that the bitterness of this beer hits. Definitely go to the brewery some day to give it a try.

4.04/5  rDev +6%