Billy Full Stack Double IPA - SingleCut Beersmiths

Billy Full Stack Double IPABilly Full Stack Double IPA

SingleCut Beersmiths visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: cosmicevan on 01-20-2013

When your tastebuds beg for a pounding this IIPA sneaks up with smoothness and then: Bam! Citrus uppercut! Biff! Dank bitterness! Wham! A piney bit! Ooof! Floral, dank pine and citrus aromas! Kablam! 8.6% ABV! Thank you sir, may I have another!?!
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

OK, so I have had quite a few top the top IPAs and IIPAs out there, but I am not an expert, but I consider this to be to me the greatest beer I have ever had. Better than Heady Topper, all the Tree House brews, etc. I haven't had any Pliny yet, but I will tell you that this ever is severely under-rated. To me this beer is perfect. I actually feel euphoria when drinking it. I wouldn't even know how to improve on this beer. Only thing bad is it is hard to get consistently in the Albany, NY area. (501 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the best smelling IPAs out there. So dank and juicy. Was a big fan of the half stack and this puts it over the top. Tons of citrus including grapefruit and pineapple. Singlecut has been flying under the radar for quite some time and not sure why. Wish I got more than the 3 bottles. (294 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Whoa! Where did this come from? Served at 5 Horses, and in a nutshell, perfect. This strikes me as a Heady Topper clone. Just finished a Tree House Curiosity 18 and this seemed to be the same beer, which speaks volumes. Awesome beer. My wife is speaking to me ....wonder what she is saying.....should I just nod or shake my head.....or worse, listen? (356 characters)

22 oz bottle poured into a Jow's Arcade tulip glass

A - Pours a crystal clear, nice lemon tangerine color. Bright white head, soapy bubbles. Looks great

S - Nose is awesome. Huge citrus, tropical fruits. Orange, tangerines, mango, pineapple. Fresh herbs, almost basil like. Dank, woody, grassiness underneath. Very juicy smelling.

T - Up front you get hit big juicy grapefruit, orange, tangerine, pineapple. Middle of the mouth there is an awesome bitter, dankness but finishes sweet. Clean, crisp, dry. This is fantastic. 138 IBUs? This is crazy balanced for that high.

O - My second SingleCut beer, and I'm very impressed. Highly recommended. (661 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I am really enjoying this IPA, it's easy drinking for a fairly high alcohol ale. Nice flavor and mouthfeel. This is the second beer that I've enjoyed from this brewer. (White Lagrr was the other) This is a really we'll put together beer that is leaving a nice lacing of foam all the way down the glass. (302 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Super mature, grown-up offering for a start-up local brewery.

I really like this beer. Had it in the Single Cut taproom and they serve it in a tulip glass (not a full pint...boo!). I also had a few of these at Crescent & Vine in Astoria. The dude used a knife to chop off the head which was pretty regal. Enjoyed that.

And the beer: really delicious. Not filtered beyond recognition, so there's a haze to it. A pleasant haze. And it looks great in their tulip glass.

Smelled fruity, piney, dank & sweet all at once. I'm certain that Single Cut has used the Alchemist HT and/or other well-respected IIPAs for inspiration. They're not there yet, but this is a really valiant effort.

Tasted citrusy, piney, dank, hoppy. There is a pleasant funkiness that is hard to describe.

This is a great IIPA. ABV (8+%) might limit your consumption a little bit if you're a responsible person, but you can certainly have a couple of these. (929 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6.7%

Growler picked up from the brewery.

Killer combination of pine, citrus, dank, all in a fruity package. RIght up there with the best National IIPAs. (150 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Simply stunning. I'm beyond overjoyed to find out that these guys are producing DIPAs as good as anyone in the country. Huge amazing nose, silky fruity caramel taste and no residual astringency. If you can get it fresh in a growler, you're in for a real treat. My favorite IPA, above Heady for sure. (299 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

SingleCut is local brewery in New York who is making amazing beers of all varieties. This beer is amazing, hands down on the DIPA scale. (Also try Bon Bon TNT, another fantastic DIPA)

A- golden in color, this beer has a very light orange to yellowish hue. Looks great in a glass

S- man this beer smells good! Great citrus and pine, it all comes out in the bouquet.

T- great taste of citrus, pine, resin, but oh so smooth and just the right amount of hoppy bitter.

F- crisp in the mouth, it's sort of on the lighter side of a medium body.

Overall you could not ask for more in an DIPA..give it a whirl! (610 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another tremendous IPA from Singlecut, drank from fresh keg a buddy picked up today. The citrus hop smell was just overwhelming as soon as I popped the top off the growler, absolutely delicious tasting beer. Extremely hoppy but plenty of malt support. Singlecut people. Singlecut. (281 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A--Golden yellow, Slight head that hangs in there throughout in the glass
S--Wow. Citrus, pine, tropical fruits and floral. Absolutely fantastic smells
T--Citrus, hop forward for sure. Resinous, and bitter. Taste follows the nose with lots of tropical fruit deliciousness
M--Light and a bit creamy, Light carb with medium bitterness
O--This is such a solid IIPA it kinda blew me away. For fun I decided to do a blind test with my wife (she is also a fan of IPA/DIPA) with Maine Lunch. She picked Billy as the better smelling, better taste. Drinkability was higher for Lunch, but she preferred Billy overall. Great beer! (628 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is great. It has a ruby red color.

The aroma is of sweet citrus, juicy fruit, and a bit of pineyness.

The flavor is the same. It quite juicy with bitterness throughout. I would love to try this beer next to Hop Stoopid because I maybe could not tell the difference.

The color and the aroma remind of it. The flavor is slightly different with less astringent bitterness. However, it's a sweet lovely Double IPA. I'm glad that a NY brewery can make a Double IPA this good. (483 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +1.1%

A: golden ale with tiny bubbles slipping up from the pint; fat head of foam slimmed to a cap and left lacy trails down the glass

S: potent floral and grain aromas brought both dankness and bright pine and citrus all at once

T: super-clean and fresh flavors abound - fresh-cut grains and pale bright fruits, lots of floral aspects - lightly sweetened and cleanly bitter

M: smooth, soft, and subtle bitterness; well-rounded and medium-weight - super-drinkable

O: another excellent entry from SingleCut - y'all are gonna want to get yer hands on some o' this if it comes around (578 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +1.1%

A beautiful golden color as it poured into my snifter. Generously rough pour brings out a frothy head that settles to a lacy head for the duration of the drink. I got whiffs of some pine, but mostly citrus. The taste? Oh yeah, citrusy goodness that I love in a double IPA. I found it to have a creamy mouthfeel with solid carbonation; not too much, not too little. Overall, I would love to have this IIPA again. It just didn't seem like 138 IBU's to me. (454 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the brewery on the 1st day of it's release (version 3).

A: Hazy! Fairly opaque, clearly not filtered (ha, see what I did there)

S: Wow. Very lush mix of resin, tropical fruit, citrus and more tropical fruit. Superb

T: This is the beer that got me hooked on SingleCut and I was excited to try this latest version which according to their website uses a new yeast strain and was more highly hopped. Those efforts are apparent - Smooth as I remembered but now with a much more prominent tropical fruit/pine flavor followed by resin and slightly biting grapefruit. Mild sweetness from the malt and no boozy flavor.

M: Slightly chewy but in line with an IIPA

O: Still loving the hell out of this beer (710 characters)

4.45/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color with a short white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is a very nice blend of fruity citrus, floral hops and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out with sweet flavors of fruity citrus and caramel that are quickly followed by a strong floral hops bitterness. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and creates a very good balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, good kick, excellent representation of style, this is a very good 2IPA to drink for a whole evening. (760 characters)

4.41/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours into an imperial pint glass a clear lighter golden with a sticky half finger bone white head atop.Dank herbal hops hit me up front in the nose then some tropical fruits,and then to gild the lilly some pine resin to boot,a big hop combo here.Very smooth in the mouth and a silky feel wich you wont find alot of in the style.Sweet onion,tropical fruits,grapefruit rind,pine resi,it's all here on the palate,I mean what else needs to be sai.There is a mild sweet biscuit base that comes thru even amongst all the hop complexity.This is a damn fine DIPA where the maly sweetness doesn't get in the way.Awesome!. (613 characters)

4.41/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served in a Singlecut snifter at the brewery.

Golden clear glow in color. Often I feel as though some DIPAs are too dark on color based on the balancing malt bill, but in this case the light color surprised me but was very nice. Thin head retention with slight lacing throughout consumption.

Aroma was eye opening. A tidal wave of hops comes out of the snifter; I believe with Citra hops being the dominant usage.

Thick pine mixed with light citrus explode on the taste buds. While this is certainly bitter, I've had far "worse" and consider this a very balanced taste profile. There is certainly a thick current of malt that latches to the sides of the tongue, but the hops help out by washing over the center.

I can say this comes across as slightly choppy, but not in the stereotypical sense. I think it has to do with the 86ibu (or at least this batch) and the 8.3 percent. While you can't really get the alcohol on the taste, be wary that it's there. It mellows out and coats the tongue in an after taste that will like be hard to get rid of. In short, don't drink this as your first beer here.

Overall, I hope they bottle/can this. While it won't likely match Heady, Resin, Furious, or others, I don't think any of those would object to the quality of this beer. Very drinkable, enjoyable, and a total hop bomb. I fully endorse this one and I hope it carries Singlecut into national attention. (1,404 characters)

4.4/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A friend of mine and fellow craft beer aficionado brought this to a dinner party I hosted. A great looking golden brew. Great citric hops aroma. Taste is a bold hop bomb with a firm and sweet malt backbone. Awesome feel; medium bodied and a slightly syrupy texture. Quite drinkable! A great local brew (I'm in nyc) that I will seek out. (336 characters)

4.38/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

How is this 138 IBU? How this so dank and so good? How has this not taken off yet? These and further questions were on my mind as I gave this a go, as the last of the four bottles that I took home once I discovered SingleCut. I *loved* their other offerings and couldn't wait to down this and now...I can't wait to down it again. Thank God I have two more bottles left here!

Everything about this beer was deep and dank - the luscious head full of giant bubbles, the lacing it eventually turned into that slowly slid down the side of my pint glass, the murky deep gold hue that was full of cloudiness and sediment, and the deep pineapple and tropical aroma that was magnified beautifully in the taste. For God sake's, where's the booze. It's gotta be in here somewhere! Maybe another sip and oh dang, I need to refill my glass.

It didn't take long for that to happen and with a nice amber viscosity, muddled pine and floral hops, and a funky earthiness that tied everything together, there was no time to nice how the alcohol was wonderfully hidden in this. How about some herbal, earl grey-like spice for good measure? It's here underneath everything with a hint of honey in the back that gave this a nice sweetness to counterbalance everything out. How did they do this? How did it take so long for me to find out about this? How did my glass empty out so quick? Those answers and more in the near future as I continue to probe deeper into the story of SingleCut... (1,472 characters)

4.34/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Yes, this is a fantastic dipa !!! Huge aromas of mango, grapefruit and peaches. Taste is similar with peaches dominating and a touch of honey on the end. If I didn't know better I would think this is a peaches forward dipa . . . and I love peaches. Seek this out or pick it up. Really tasty with a smooth, sticky and creamy mouth feel on rolled into this terrific beer. More please. (382 characters)

4.34/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle shared by Curran last night.

Pours a golden, slightly dark orange, with a one inch head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells quite pungent, with some peach, passionfruit, pine, and grass.

Singlecut really seems to know what they're doing with IPAs. This one's made with PNW and Southern Hemisphere hops, and it's got that earthy fruitiness that I really love from New Zealand hops. There's some grassiness, a bit of pine, and a big hit of pungent grapefruit, orange, pineapple, peach, and passionfruit. Awesome.

This is medium bodied, with a crisp and juicy mouthfeel. It feels lighter than a Double IPA would feel like. The ABV is hidden pretty well.

Though this isn't quite world class, it's still a most excellent IPA and definitely one of the better ones made in NY. (782 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served in a mug from a 16oz. bomber.

Appearance: hazy gold with a quarter inch white head that the body comes off extra bubbly.

Smell: Light hoppy scent. Also feels like I'm smelling a set of trees.

Taste: Complex with an extra dose of hoppy. Has a lemon skin feel, super citrusy.

Mouth: Medium to heavy carbonation, sticky. Thin body that honestly it quenches your thirst.

Overall: Very good brew, passing it and not buying it is a disgrace. Brew delivers better than some of the most hyped up beers. (511 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

500 ml bottle. Hazy yellow pour with pillowy head.

Wonderful hop aroma full of sweet orange citrus and tropical fruits with pine and floral notes.

Flavors are also driven by orange citrus and tropical fruits with pine and floral notes and just a touch of soap. A little bit of spice on the back end as the beer finishes very dry with some light grapefruit pith.

The mouthfeel is light with effervescent, creamy carbonation. Perhaps a little thin.

I like when double IPAs pack in fresh hop flavor while drinking easy at the same time. This beer is wonderfully restrained despite the 8.2% ABV. This might not be my favorite hop profile - but it is a pleasure to drink this very well made IPA. (695 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Rattle-N-Hum in NYC: pours hazy dark gold color with a 1 finger foamy off white head that didn't move and dissipated quite slowly, leaving outstanding foamy lacing coating the sides with rings as it went down. The rings and lacing went down the entire glass, which was very nice to look at.

Smells of big juicy hops, with a blast of grapefruit and piney hops up front, followed by orange peel, caramel, biscuit, herbs and pineapple. Pretty fruity with strong fresh hops throughout the nose and just enough malt backbone to balance it out well.

Tastes like it smells, with grapefruit, pine cone/piney hops, guava, orange peel, caramel and/or toffee, biscuit, herbs, roasted grains, coriander and pineapple; some floral notes and light spices trail as it washes down, but this one is all citrus and piney hops and quite tasty.

Mouthfeel is smooth and chewy at the same time, with a heavy body, light carbonation and a medium bitterness that goes down pretty easy, especially with this ABV which it hides exceptionally well.

Overall it was very good, but not exceptional. I'd definitely have it again as it smelled great and tasted above average for a DIPA. Great to see a Queens brewery putting out a solid product so early in its career; these Beersmiths are off to a great start and deserve local support. (1,323 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast