Billy Full Stack Double IPA - SingleCut Beersmiths

Billy Full Stack Double IPABilly Full Stack Double IPA

SingleCut Beersmiths visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: cosmicevan on 01-20-2013

When your tastebuds beg for a pounding this IIPA sneaks up with smoothness and then: Bam! Citrus uppercut! Biff! Dank bitterness! Wham! A piney bit! Ooof! Floral, dank pine and citrus aromas! Kablam! 8.6% ABV! Thank you sir, may I have another!?!
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

Singlecut has easily become my favorite brewery. I've been waiting 9 months to try this one and it DID NOT disappoint. Hazy golden color, poured from a fresh keg, aromas of intense citrus, citrus bomb at first sip, leaving a trail of sweet bitterness as it flows over the tongue. Grapefruit and tangerine came to mind immediately. A lingering hint of pine finished this off quite nicely. Another finely crafted brew by Singlecut Beersmiths!

OK, so I have had quite a few top the top IPAs and IIPAs out there, but I am not an expert, but I consider this to be to me the greatest beer I have ever had. Better than Heady Topper, all the Tree House brews, etc. I haven't had any Pliny yet, but I will tell you that this ever is severely under-rated. To me this beer is perfect. I actually feel euphoria when drinking it. I wouldn't even know how to improve on this beer. Only thing bad is it is hard to get consistently in the Albany, NY area.

4.91/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the best smelling IPAs out there. So dank and juicy. Was a big fan of the half stack and this puts it over the top. Tons of citrus including grapefruit and pineapple. Singlecut has been flying under the radar for quite some time and not sure why. Wish I got more than the 3 bottles.

4.86/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Whoa! Where did this come from? Served at 5 Horses, and in a nutshell, perfect. This strikes me as a Heady Topper clone. Just finished a Tree House Curiosity 18 and this seemed to be the same beer, which speaks volumes. Awesome beer. My wife is speaking to me ....wonder what she is saying.....should I just nod or shake my head.....or worse, listen?

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is fantastic!! Look is bright yellow golden, semi translucent and a huge soapy white head with great retention. Huge grapefruit and citrus smell and the taste is exactly the same, but with a piney resinous taste on the back end. Feel is medoum with good carbonation. Overall this is super hoppy and one of the best IPAs/IIPAs I've ever had.

22 oz bottle poured into a Jow's Arcade tulip glass

A - Pours a crystal clear, nice lemon tangerine color. Bright white head, soapy bubbles. Looks great

S - Nose is awesome. Huge citrus, tropical fruits. Orange, tangerines, mango, pineapple. Fresh herbs, almost basil like. Dank, woody, grassiness underneath. Very juicy smelling.

T - Up front you get hit big juicy grapefruit, orange, tangerine, pineapple. Middle of the mouth there is an awesome bitter, dankness but finishes sweet. Clean, crisp, dry. This is fantastic. 138 IBUs? This is crazy balanced for that high.

O - My second SingleCut beer, and I'm very impressed. Highly recommended.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I am really enjoying this IPA, it's easy drinking for a fairly high alcohol ale. Nice flavor and mouthfeel. This is the second beer that I've enjoyed from this brewer. (White Lagrr was the other) This is a really we'll put together beer that is leaving a nice lacing of foam all the way down the glass.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Super mature, grown-up offering for a start-up local brewery.

I really like this beer. Had it in the Single Cut taproom and they serve it in a tulip glass (not a full!). I also had a few of these at Crescent & Vine in Astoria. The dude used a knife to chop off the head which was pretty regal. Enjoyed that.

And the beer: really delicious. Not filtered beyond recognition, so there's a haze to it. A pleasant haze. And it looks great in their tulip glass.

Smelled fruity, piney, dank & sweet all at once. I'm certain that Single Cut has used the Alchemist HT and/or other well-respected IIPAs for inspiration. They're not there yet, but this is a really valiant effort.

Tasted citrusy, piney, dank, hoppy. There is a pleasant funkiness that is hard to describe.

This is a great IIPA. ABV (8+%) might limit your consumption a little bit if you're a responsible person, but you can certainly have a couple of these.

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

Growler picked up from the brewery.

Killer combination of pine, citrus, dank, all in a fruity package. RIght up there with the best National IIPAs.

4.74/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Simply stunning. I'm beyond overjoyed to find out that these guys are producing DIPAs as good as anyone in the country. Huge amazing nose, silky fruity caramel taste and no residual astringency. If you can get it fresh in a growler, you're in for a real treat. My favorite IPA, above Heady for sure.

4.61/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

SingleCut is local brewery in New York who is making amazing beers of all varieties. This beer is amazing, hands down on the DIPA scale. (Also try Bon Bon TNT, another fantastic DIPA)

A- golden in color, this beer has a very light orange to yellowish hue. Looks great in a glass

S- man this beer smells good! Great citrus and pine, it all comes out in the bouquet.

T- great taste of citrus, pine, resin, but oh so smooth and just the right amount of hoppy bitter.

F- crisp in the mouth, it's sort of on the lighter side of a medium body.

Overall you could not ask for more in an DIPA..give it a whirl!

4.56/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Draft at Lower Depths. Holy shit, this beer totally caught me by surprise. What a nose, and backed up with huge tropical flavors! Any time I see this fresh in the future I'm grabbing it.

4.55/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another tremendous IPA from Singlecut, drank from fresh keg a buddy picked up today. The citrus hop smell was just overwhelming as soon as I popped the top off the growler, absolutely delicious tasting beer. Extremely hoppy but plenty of malt support. Singlecut people. Singlecut.

4.53/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

From an undated bottle. Tropical fruits, piney dankness and a biscuity malt finish. A delicious DIPA that can go toe-to-toe with the best of the East Coast offerings.

4.52/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A--Golden yellow, Slight head that hangs in there throughout in the glass
S--Wow. Citrus, pine, tropical fruits and floral. Absolutely fantastic smells
T--Citrus, hop forward for sure. Resinous, and bitter. Taste follows the nose with lots of tropical fruit deliciousness
M--Light and a bit creamy, Light carb with medium bitterness
O--This is such a solid IIPA it kinda blew me away. For fun I decided to do a blind test with my wife (she is also a fan of IPA/DIPA) with Maine Lunch. She picked Billy as the better smelling, better taste. Drinkability was higher for Lunch, but she preferred Billy overall. Great beer!

4.52/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is great. It has a ruby red color.

The aroma is of sweet citrus, juicy fruit, and a bit of pineyness.

The flavor is the same. It quite juicy with bitterness throughout. I would love to try this beer next to Hop Stoopid because I maybe could not tell the difference.

The color and the aroma remind of it. The flavor is slightly different with less astringent bitterness. However, it's a sweet lovely Double IPA. I'm glad that a NY brewery can make a Double IPA this good.

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

A: golden ale with tiny bubbles slipping up from the pint; fat head of foam slimmed to a cap and left lacy trails down the glass

S: potent floral and grain aromas brought both dankness and bright pine and citrus all at once

T: super-clean and fresh flavors abound - fresh-cut grains and pale bright fruits, lots of floral aspects - lightly sweetened and cleanly bitter

M: smooth, soft, and subtle bitterness; well-rounded and medium-weight - super-drinkable

O: another excellent entry from SingleCut - y'all are gonna want to get yer hands on some o' this if it comes around

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

A beautiful golden color as it poured into my snifter. Generously rough pour brings out a frothy head that settles to a lacy head for the duration of the drink. I got whiffs of some pine, but mostly citrus. The taste? Oh yeah, citrusy goodness that I love in a double IPA. I found it to have a creamy mouthfeel with solid carbonation; not too much, not too little. Overall, I would love to have this IIPA again. It just didn't seem like 138 IBU's to me.

4.49/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the brewery on the 1st day of it's release (version 3).

A: Hazy! Fairly opaque, clearly not filtered (ha, see what I did there)

S: Wow. Very lush mix of resin, tropical fruit, citrus and more tropical fruit. Superb

T: This is the beer that got me hooked on SingleCut and I was excited to try this latest version which according to their website uses a new yeast strain and was more highly hopped. Those efforts are apparent - Smooth as I remembered but now with a much more prominent tropical fruit/pine flavor followed by resin and slightly biting grapefruit. Mild sweetness from the malt and no boozy flavor.

M: Slightly chewy but in line with an IIPA

O: Still loving the hell out of this beer

4.45/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color with a short white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is a very nice blend of fruity citrus, floral hops and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out with sweet flavors of fruity citrus and caramel that are quickly followed by a strong floral hops bitterness. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and creates a very good balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, good kick, excellent representation of style, this is a very good 2IPA to drink for a whole evening.

4.41/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours into an imperial pint glass a clear lighter golden with a sticky half finger bone white head atop.Dank herbal hops hit me up front in the nose then some tropical fruits,and then to gild the lilly some pine resin to boot,a big hop combo here.Very smooth in the mouth and a silky feel wich you wont find alot of in the style.Sweet onion,tropical fruits,grapefruit rind,pine resi,it's all here on the palate,I mean what else needs to be sai.There is a mild sweet biscuit base that comes thru even amongst all the hop complexity.This is a damn fine DIPA where the maly sweetness doesn't get in the way.Awesome!.

4.41/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served in a Singlecut snifter at the brewery.

Golden clear glow in color. Often I feel as though some DIPAs are too dark on color based on the balancing malt bill, but in this case the light color surprised me but was very nice. Thin head retention with slight lacing throughout consumption.

Aroma was eye opening. A tidal wave of hops comes out of the snifter; I believe with Citra hops being the dominant usage.

Thick pine mixed with light citrus explode on the taste buds. While this is certainly bitter, I've had far "worse" and consider this a very balanced taste profile. There is certainly a thick current of malt that latches to the sides of the tongue, but the hops help out by washing over the center.

I can say this comes across as slightly choppy, but not in the stereotypical sense. I think it has to do with the 86ibu (or at least this batch) and the 8.3 percent. While you can't really get the alcohol on the taste, be wary that it's there. It mellows out and coats the tongue in an after taste that will like be hard to get rid of. In short, don't drink this as your first beer here.

Overall, I hope they bottle/can this. While it won't likely match Heady, Resin, Furious, or others, I don't think any of those would object to the quality of this beer. Very drinkable, enjoyable, and a total hop bomb. I fully endorse this one and I hope it carries Singlecut into national attention.

4.4/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A friend of mine and fellow craft beer aficionado brought this to a dinner party I hosted. A great looking golden brew. Great citric hops aroma. Taste is a bold hop bomb with a firm and sweet malt backbone. Awesome feel; medium bodied and a slightly syrupy texture. Quite drinkable! A great local brew (I'm in nyc) that I will seek out.

4.38/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

How is this 138 IBU? How this so dank and so good? How has this not taken off yet? These and further questions were on my mind as I gave this a go, as the last of the four bottles that I took home once I discovered SingleCut. I *loved* their other offerings and couldn't wait to down this and now...I can't wait to down it again. Thank God I have two more bottles left here!

Everything about this beer was deep and dank - the luscious head full of giant bubbles, the lacing it eventually turned into that slowly slid down the side of my pint glass, the murky deep gold hue that was full of cloudiness and sediment, and the deep pineapple and tropical aroma that was magnified beautifully in the taste. For God sake's, where's the booze. It's gotta be in here somewhere! Maybe another sip and oh dang, I need to refill my glass.

It didn't take long for that to happen and with a nice amber viscosity, muddled pine and floral hops, and a funky earthiness that tied everything together, there was no time to nice how the alcohol was wonderfully hidden in this. How about some herbal, earl grey-like spice for good measure? It's here underneath everything with a hint of honey in the back that gave this a nice sweetness to counterbalance everything out. How did they do this? How did it take so long for me to find out about this? How did my glass empty out so quick? Those answers and more in the near future as I continue to probe deeper into the story of SingleCut...

4.34/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Yes, this is a fantastic dipa !!! Huge aromas of mango, grapefruit and peaches. Taste is similar with peaches dominating and a touch of honey on the end. If I didn't know better I would think this is a peaches forward dipa . . . and I love peaches. Seek this out or pick it up. Really tasty with a smooth, sticky and creamy mouth feel on rolled into this terrific beer. More please.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast