Microbrew Invitational

Style: Bière de Garde

Added by dar482 on 06-24-2013

Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 15
4.79/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at the brewery.

L: Light amber yellow, mostly clear with the slightest touch of haze.
S: Pear, apricot, light bubblegum, spice
T: Spicy pear apricot Belgian mix with mild sweet malt
F: Smooth, lighter
O: Perfectly enjoyable Belgian Pale

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Excellent beer with wonderful head retention. Had an absolutely lovely and beautiful amber color. There was little I personally caught on the nose however the combination of wheat and apple was absolutely delightful. Very light and drinkable but nothing lost with the lack of emphasis on anything in particular. Overall? Very solid beer and showed a new dimension for me in SingleCut's repertoire

4.05/5  rDev +1%

On tap at the brewery (pint #3!)

A: Light amber with a touch of haze. White frothy head

S: Clove overwhelmingly from the Belgian yeast, some toasty malt, a hint of vanilla

T: Exactly what I'd expect from the aroma - clove/mild spice Belgian yeast fermentation, toast malt with a touch of crystal malt sweetness. Smooth. A very mild (pine?) hop aftertaste mixed in with the Belgian notes.

M: Smooth. I said that already didn't I?

O: Hanging at the brewery and thought these guys were all about hoppy ales and lagers, so was surprised to find a Belgian ale (this is their summer ale I was told). Pretty classic and well made, I likes

3.92/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

a real tasty Belgian type or even saison hybrid it seems, really fun and unique yeast in this one, trappist like, delicious. served in a pint glass at j ryans in Syracuse, it has a hazy straw color and a full inch of lasting white head. it smells mildly like tannic French saison, but also has that spicy Belgian yeast character of white pepper and clove. wheat based, thick and almost creamy feeling like a hefeweizen, but its so dry and not fruity at all, really interesting how full bodied and heavy this feels in the mouth but how light and dryit is going down, impressive. notes of wet grass, orange peel bitterness, maybe saaz hops, and fresh white wheat, its a delicious rustic glass of ale that works in all seasons. I wish I knew what yeast they used, as its responsible for all of this awesomeness, and I would like to play around with it at home. my first beer from single cut is a wonderful one, and all of their beers I have had now have been excellent. wont be long before these guys are in real high demand. do they package anything?

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

07/11/13 At Rattle N Hum on tap. Biere de Garde is a category that eludes me. What I have here has a fruity, almost cherry flavor, but with a fleeting sweet & a dry finish. Port is what comes to mind. Very good but not quite the summer refresher I was expecting. Planning on a re-visit.

3.68/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The aroma is floral and spicy.

The flavor has some with a sweet breadiness. The beer is quite nutty. It reminds me of a ripe banana and pepper.

The finish is slightly drying. It's great to see them do a beer in this style or Belgian in general. For it's ABV, it's actually really flavorful. A great beer in the style.

Alex Biere Du Soleil Ale from SingleCut Beersmiths
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.