God Damn Raspberry Pigeon Porter - Spiteful Brewing

to view more.
Ratings: 25 | Reviews: 2
Reviews by koutkid41:
4.56/5  rDev +20.6%

A: Dark brown with a noticeable pinkish red tinge from the raspberry, also follows with a beautiful off white head with a pinkish red tinge tinge.

S: Beautiful fresh chocolate raspberry aroma with hints of coffee. Really love the smell the aroma of this one, makes me want to eat some chocolate covered raspberry's.

T: Upfront you get fresh tart raspberry that follows through with a nice chocolate and coffee roast. Kind of reminds me of mixing a porter with a framboise.

M: Sweet and tart with some residual sugar but really works well with this beer. Alcohol not noticeable.

O: I haven't had the original of this beer yet but I would love to after having this beer, really have enjoyed everything I have had from Spiteful to this point. Plus I love raspberry's and this was really done well in mixing it with a porter.

3.03/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Bottle (from batch #98) into a larger snifter at fridge temp, allowed to warm half an hour before drinking.

Look: noticeably light in both body and color on the pour, but dark brown with heavy carb in the glass. Very soda-esque appearance.

Smell: about what you'd expect. Sweet fruit notes, some roasty porter notes.

Taste: punch-in-the-face tart/bitter. Pretty abrasive. I was expecting stout/porter flavors with a layer of berry, and instead I got burnt raspberry pie. I love sour beers (though the one sour stout I tried—Tart of Darkness—I didn't much care for), so it's not a matter of my palate not "getting" sours. The flavor of raspberries is definitely strongly there, but it's buried under a pile of mild putrescence. There's also a strong metallic note in the background that I get a lot in what I consider lower-quality porters/stouts. FWIW, the aftertaste—once the tastebuds have had a chance to recover—is pretty nice.

Feel: kind of like soda. Over-carbed for my tastes. Also fairly dry.

Overall: I really wanted to like this one. I might be judging this one too harshly because I was expecting more porter and less raspberry, but this was just not very enjoyable for me. Not quite a drainpour, but mainly because the next beer on deck deserves to be tasted with fully-functioning tastebuds.

to view more.