I Hate My Boss Coffee Stout - Spiteful Brewing

No picture uploaded.

Spiteful Brewing visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Stout |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 09-27-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

e30todamax, Nov 08, 2013

Farnswurth, Nov 05, 2013

bcm75, Oct 30, 2013
4.06/5  rDev +2.3%

Very dark brown pour with mahogany half inch head. Scant carbonation at the end.

Coffee forward with sweet cream following. Caramel malts resembling cola. Quite enjoyable.

Again, burnt to roasted coffee forward. Bitter bean lingers and sweet creaminess fall to the sides of the tongue. Dark cocoa nibs noted.

Medium body leaning towards heavy mouthfeel. Lips somewhat sticky and my glass is stained brown. Cowboy black coffee stays with you for awhile.

Coffee stout as labeled and they nailed it. Kinda rough in the bitterness category but that's what I signed up for. Coffee is appealing and a decent stout overall worth searching out.

joeseppy, Oct 29, 2013
3.63/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance:
I Hate My Boss Coffee Stout pours a very dark brown into the glass with about half a finger’s worth of a head the color of overly creamed coffee. It seems very thick coming out of the bottle, I actually wrote “motor oil” down in my notes when I was drinking it. The head probably sticks around for 1 or 2 minutes, not too long but long enough to be there when you take the first sip. After receding to the edges of the glass, the bubbles kind of have a tendency to cling to the glass with each sip, sliding back down to the now lower, level of beer.

Aroma:
Lots of roasty and toasted smells coming from the beer at first. A healthy dose of dark roast coffee scents coming up as well. There’s this faint odor that I couldn't place, something on the backside of the big roasty, coffee smell. It was definitely something familiar but I was really struggling to put my finger on it until I realized it was exactly what my wife's hazelnut flavored coffee smells like. I was ecstatic when I recognized this smell as it was entirely unexpected. I mean, it’s always great to stumble onto something like that, I feel like I expect and find the same flavors with every beer. As the beer warms I also start finding some carmel-ish tones in there. No indication of hop anywhere.

Taste:
The taste was good but entirely expected. Toasted grain, some roasted bitterness up front followed by malty sweetness, some burnt coffee, and maybe finishing with some caramel pepper. Again, no indication of hop anywhere. Good and fairly complex, but not WOW.

Mouthfeel:
Much thinner than expected. After the motor oil thoughts I had as I poured, I expected a big, thick mouth coating. Not so. The beer is rather thin and a tad more carbonated than I was expecting. It was smooth though, thin and smooth, not too unlike a cup of coffee that has been made through a Chemex filter.

Label:
The label is great and the reason I bought the beer in the first place. The side of the label is hilarious. And very relatable for those of us that might be working in cubical farms.

Overall:
I Hate My Boss Coffee Stout by Spiteful Brewing is a solid beer. I’ll admit that I tend toward the larger stouts and maybe I went into this one with misplaced expectations. I can see this beer being combined with a good couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream and making one heck of a good coffee beer float. Something that I might actually try in the near future.

Conclusion:
Good but not exceptional. With so much great and personally undiscovered beer out there right now I’m not certain I would pick this up again, unless I decide to make one of those coffee beer floats.

williamsgodfrey, Oct 27, 2013