I Hate My Boss Coffee Stout - Spiteful Brewing

No picture uploaded.

Spiteful Brewing visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Stout |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 09-27-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

77apm, Mar 16, 2014
4.06/5  rDev +2.5%

Very dark brown pour with mahogany half inch head. Scant carbonation at the end.

Coffee forward with sweet cream following. Caramel malts resembling cola. Quite enjoyable.

Again, burnt to roasted coffee forward. Bitter bean lingers and sweet creaminess fall to the sides of the tongue. Dark cocoa nibs noted.

Medium body leaning towards heavy mouthfeel. Lips somewhat sticky and my glass is stained brown. Cowboy black coffee stays with you for awhile.

Coffee stout as labeled and they nailed it. Kinda rough in the bitterness category but that's what I signed up for. Coffee is appealing and a decent stout overall worth searching out.

joeseppy, Oct 29, 2013

Gonzoillini, Nov 17, 2013
4.14/5  rDev +4.5%

TGIF & FTW... until Monday of course ;)

Deep brownish black, creamy mocha foam on the surface. Long lasting head, good retention with a few arcs of lace in the glass.

MIld coffee and cream aroma, roast malt in the periphery.

Creamy feel, plenty of roast malt and coffee flavor. Fairly light bodied but smooth and creamy giving it a more substantial impression. Coffee taste is fairly rich, thankfully not acidic, with a lingering bitterness in the aftertaste. Overall it's good, would be a nice candidate for the canning line.

emerge077, Sep 28, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

SalukiAlum, Jan 12, 2014

sgoro, Oct 18, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

Nachos4two, Dec 30, 2013
3.63/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance:
I Hate My Boss Coffee Stout pours a very dark brown into the glass with about half a finger’s worth of a head the color of overly creamed coffee. It seems very thick coming out of the bottle, I actually wrote “motor oil” down in my notes when I was drinking it. The head probably sticks around for 1 or 2 minutes, not too long but long enough to be there when you take the first sip. After receding to the edges of the glass, the bubbles kind of have a tendency to cling to the glass with each sip, sliding back down to the now lower, level of beer.

Aroma:
Lots of roasty and toasted smells coming from the beer at first. A healthy dose of dark roast coffee scents coming up as well. There’s this faint odor that I couldn't place, something on the backside of the big roasty, coffee smell. It was definitely something familiar but I was really struggling to put my finger on it until I realized it was exactly what my wife's hazelnut flavored coffee smells like. I was ecstatic when I recognized this smell as it was entirely unexpected. I mean, it’s always great to stumble onto something like that, I feel like I expect and find the same flavors with every beer. As the beer warms I also start finding some carmel-ish tones in there. No indication of hop anywhere.

Taste:
The taste was good but entirely expected. Toasted grain, some roasted bitterness up front followed by malty sweetness, some burnt coffee, and maybe finishing with some caramel pepper. Again, no indication of hop anywhere. Good and fairly complex, but not WOW.

Mouthfeel:
Much thinner than expected. After the motor oil thoughts I had as I poured, I expected a big, thick mouth coating. Not so. The beer is rather thin and a tad more carbonated than I was expecting. It was smooth though, thin and smooth, not too unlike a cup of coffee that has been made through a Chemex filter.

Label:
The label is great and the reason I bought the beer in the first place. The side of the label is hilarious. And very relatable for those of us that might be working in cubical farms.

Overall:
I Hate My Boss Coffee Stout by Spiteful Brewing is a solid beer. I’ll admit that I tend toward the larger stouts and maybe I went into this one with misplaced expectations. I can see this beer being combined with a good couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream and making one heck of a good coffee beer float. Something that I might actually try in the near future.

Conclusion:
Good but not exceptional. With so much great and personally undiscovered beer out there right now I’m not certain I would pick this up again, unless I decide to make one of those coffee beer floats.

williamsgodfrey, Oct 27, 2013

Jd2391, Oct 26, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Texasfan549, Nov 14, 2013
4.2/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz Bottle
$8.99
Binny's - Bolingbrook, IL

Batch #53

I Hate My Boss shows some glug out of the bottle and the mocha head has that evil, up to no good swirling effect as it rises to a half finger in height. The body is black coffee black so there are a couple brown highlights when directly backlit. The head falls rather quickly to to a respectable ring and a thinning island. A few silky drink lines get left behind.

The nose isn't as coffee forward as I expected and I like that. Coffee beers are too much coffee and not enough beer these days. There's a rich hazelnut quality that leaps from the glass immediately and when combined with the moderately roasted malt throws off what reminds me of peanut butter. There's a solid dose of moderately dark chocolate. This entire combination gets my, nearly non-existent, sweet tooth going. Reese's Pieces anyone? Oh, there are some dark berries in there as it warms slightly.

Coffee is more forward in the flavor than aroma. The dark berries, peppery blueberry and ripe blackberry, intermingle with the subtle chilled coffee to add some pop while the roasty malts lay down a much appreciated base. As I drink, hints of hazelnut come out again and again. Must be that coffee and roast mixture. I liked this beer first sip but the deeper I get the more I like.

The mouthfeel is rich and lush. Where does all the body come from in a 6.5% stout with coffee? There's a touch of roasty bitterness but it's soft and the coffee adds enough caffeine to just barely feel it.

I Hate My Boss is another damn fine brew from the fellas at Spiteful. A coffee stout that's rich, lush, and even handed on the coffee while weighing in at 6.5%? I would happily drink something of this caliber a few times a week. Nicely done!

joe1510, Oct 04, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

BeerMeFitz, Jan 20, 2014
4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

bomber into a tulip Batch #53

Pours an opaque black with a half inch beige head. Malty, coffee filled aroma with a good amount of chocolatey notes as well. Coffee really shines through in the taste and on the palate. Its by far the dominating flavor. Very creamy with roasted malts. Medium bodied, low carbonation. Body is as expected from a 6.5% stout

Overall another terrific brew from spiteful.

Axnjxn, Oct 15, 2013