Big Sur Golden - English Ales Brewery

Big Sur GoldenBig Sur Golden

English Ales Brewery visit their website

American Blonde Ale |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Kemmerlin on 03-19-2008)
1.7/5  rDev -46.7%

On tap at the Fernwood Bar in Big Sur, CA.

When Raulsky doesn't expect much, he usually doesn't get much: case in point, this beer that tasted like a skunks doo-doo.

Upon first inspection, it looked ok. Smell? Lacking, to hints of nasty. Taste? Oh my... Raul is more than certain that the last time they cleaned the taps here was when Bonds' hat size was still a 14, and when Jeff Kent broke his wrist 'washing his truck.'

So, in the end, it probably was the line, but I don't think much was there to begin with.

Raul just says no!

2.55/5  rDev -20.1%

On tap at the brewery, March 2010. I ordered the wheat and received this by mistake, so here we go.

A - Zero head. Had the distinct appearance of a glass of apple juice. The lemon on the side of the glass didn't help.

S - Pretty much had to bury my nose in the glass to get anything at all. What I got was pleasant enough, I guess. A bit of citrus, some grassiness, maybe a hint of malt.

T - Wow... disappointing. Like a flat MGD 64. I can see why they serve it with a slice of lemon -- it helps to cover the (lack of) taste.

M - Thin. Again, it reminds me of a BMC light beer, but just in the bad ways.

D - Maybe the best thing I could say about this one is that you can drink a ton of it. But you'd REALLY have to want to.

I have no problem with the style; I have had some good blondes before. But I can say without any doubt that I would never order this beer again.

2.75/5  rDev -13.8%

2.88/5  rDev -9.7%

On tap in a Monterey restaurant. i'll review the beer because I don't think I'll run into it again soon. I also think the lines were funky and affected the beer's taste. This is beyond the control of the brewery. My score would likely be higher if served in better conditions.

I also ordered a couple Sierra Nevada Pale Ales the same night and they didn't taste like any SNPA I've ever had. Not sure if bottled SNPA is supposed to taste that much different than tap, but it was not an altogether pleasant beer drinking experience.

A - blonde, no head, no lacing.

S - some hop, slightly funky, musty.

t - meh. not that exciting. A flatish lager taste.

m - Ok mouthfeel. On the flat side. Did not order it again.

D- now, even though I've rated the beer poorly, I think it's Ok in terms of drinkability. It tastes a lot like macro lagers, making it easy to swill down. In my case, the beer was musty (and expensive), so I didn't order it again, but in better conditions, I'm sure it would score well in that category. There's some hope in it!

3.15/5  rDev -1.3%

Blonde ale with lemons. On a hot evening like this, yes sur! 22 ounces await. On to the beer:

Pour that liquid in an imperial pint glass. Get a glass filled with a goldenrod color, a few bubbles visibly rising in the body, and good holding foam. The lacing leaves a good impression, kicking up a big splash of cream. The aroma is subtle at first, eventually the leom scent picks up a yields a nose that's pleasring enough. Like lemon peel with spongy pizza crust.

I'm really thirsty, and this one does quench decently. With a few big gulps down, let the analysis begin. Pizza crust first, then a dash of lemon cleaner. That's a two way street; it has a few good moments where it seems fresh, but it also has moments where the citrus is too bitter and sticks to the palate. Its light body and pleasantly crisp feel make the mouthfeel a winner in an otherwise uneventful brew.

The side of the labels says this beer is "perfect for a warm spring or summer day". As summer is winding down (and being hot all day), it is a good thirst quencher. The label also bets this is "a delicious and refreshing golden ale...". Well, I don't think it's THAT delicious. Just refreshing, and I'll leave it there.

3.21/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This is an enjoyable, but very light and simple ale on tap.

Golden, it has a thin white head soon thinning to a ring and wisps, no lace.

Aroma is light grass and apple with strong grain.

Taste is light juicy grain, apple, grassy bitterness. A finish of grass and grain lingers a little. It is dryish.

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

3.28/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of this at a deli and wine shop in Carmel-by-the-Sea.

Appearance- golden copper color, thin head that dissipated quickly

Smell- malt, floral hops, an interesting smell that I couldn't place, kinda funky but not bad

Taste- malt, floral hops, interesting flavor that I couldn't place. It was ok.

Mouthfeel- light to medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought it was ok but probably won't buy it again.

3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

3.51/5  rDev +10%

3.53/5  rDev +10.7%

4.8% listed on the 22 oz. bottle, also "brewed with real lemons".
"Perfect for a warm spring or summer day."

$3.95 bomber from Big Sur Deli, enjoyed from a stemless wine glass out on the front porch.

Bright jewel-tone clarity, fully saturated orange. Sticky collar of white foam, solid head retention.

Specialty malt aroma, wet barley, ale yeast. Pretty simple and utilitarian, fits the style.

Very clean and lightly sweet, biscuity with a little bitterness lingering in the aftertaste. Some apple or lemon zest in there somewhere, but it's a fairly vague fruit impression. Light bodied and uncomplicated. Easy to enjoy on it's own or paired with most foods. Simplicity is underrated...

3.9/5  rDev +22.3%

More amber than golden. Decent head and nice appearance. Fairly coarse foam but a sprightly mouthfeel. Light body. Beery aroma. Label says 4.8% ABV.

Has a pleasantly rich flavor for a Blonde. The classic browned biscuits flavor makes me think more of an English pale ale. Surprising amounts of malt and a zing of hops. Crisp but a mellow nutty taste. A little of the pleasant variety of mustiness. More of the English fruity hops, whatever they use, but it has just enough bitterness at the end. Well balanced and totally quaffable. I wouldn't demean it by calling it a blonde ale.

This variety in the 22 oz bottle from the deli/market in Carmel. Several others from the brewery are in six packs.

4.25/5  rDev +33.2%

A: Golden colored body with a thin amber red foam head. Filtered beer so it had no cloudiness.

S: Distinct tropical floral aromas mixed with eucalyptus bring your nose straight to Big Sur the place behind the beer's name.

T: Tropical Hawaiian flower taste that was powerful in the front and the back. The grains and hops did a wonderful job blending together to produce an atmosphere surrounding the beer.

M/D: Very drinkable especially on a hot day outside. The beer was only slightly bitter and not overwhelmingly to sweet or dry. I really hope I can find this beer outside of California soon.

Big Sur Golden from English Ales Brewery