Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Amorous - Wicked Weed Brewing

Wicked Weed Brewing visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Wild Ale |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: wedge on 04-02-2014

Reviews by joe1510:
4.09/5  rDev -0.5%

A big, huge thanks to Wilson for grabbing me some Wicked Weed. Good peoples! The body is tarnished copper bordering on russet with glowing ruby highlights when backlit. A touch of haze makes peering through the body difficult. The white head is wispy and takes a hard pour to form foam which quickly crackles down to a ring around the glass and a small island.

The nose is really unique. Spoonfuls of lactic pineapple funk lead the way with assertiveness There's also a good deal of buttery oak with faint vanilla. Tropical hop notes, papaya especially, are present along the middle and accentuate the gobs of pineapple. The oak becomes a little spicy with some warmth and a wealth of orchard fruit emerges, musty peach and mildly sweet green apple. Very interesting.

Background characteristics emerge much more in the flavor profile than in the nose. The lactic pineapple still comes across upfront but isn't the dominating force that the nose let me believe. Musty peach and green apple linger mid-palate through the finish along with wild flower brettiness. The orchard fruit really brightens on the finish along with a spicy oak character. Soft vanilla and buttery oak lay at the periphery. There is really a lot of depth to this beer. Each drink is something new.

Wicked Weed has done a great job dialing in the carbonation. The weight is squarely between light and medium while the carbonation is smooth but active. There's enough zing to awaken the tongue without being too fast to obliterate any lingering flavors. A touch of tannic dryness picks up on the finish. Nicely done.

There seems to be a lot of dry hopped brett pale ales out there these days. Amorous is a far cry from any I've come across. There's a plethora of fruity notes from the base yeast, Brett, or lacto. Each aspect adds another layer of depth while the oak still shines through in harmony. This is my first taste of Wicked Weed and I'm already craving more. Thanks, Wil!

3.78/5  rDev -8%

I'm going to premise this review by clearly stating I'm a peasant who knows absolutely nothing about sours / farmhouse style brews. My hat is off to that last guy's review (I've read many to attempt to get an idea of what a sour should be). I've tried many, drain poured the first few thinking I had a bad batch. Holy crap though, I made my wife read that review to me in a sultry voice, it sounded like something from a dirty romance novel. Well done, we should do a bottle share sometime. I totally agree "it is a clean and palette stripping taste with essence of funky freshness." ... why am I getting turned on!!!?

In regards to this beer, I was impressed with the look and smell. It looked golden crisp and had a sharp tart smell ... then the flavor hit me. Definitely sour, have no idea what the red wine barrel did for the beer, maybe gave it a little extra vinegar in your face flavor? I made it through and feel a better man for finishing. I personally find myself associating activities and seasons with styles of beer I truly enjoy. I find myself asking, what season does the sour pair with? I find this beer interesting... but wouldn't naturally grab it after say mowing the lawn or cracking open on a cold winter night.

Definitely give this one a try though! Thanks beerdude88 for throwing this in with the trade, I really do enjoy trying new things.

4.19/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.21/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.69/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Tasty stuff. Thanks Brent56 for hooking me up again. The sour elemenmt is prominent yet underscores and never overwhelmsthe citrusy taste. A sipper, very good with food.

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%