Join our email list →

Wicked Weed Brewing
North Carolina, United States | website

American Wild Ale | 6.90% ABV

Beer added by: wedge on 04-02-2014

Amorous is aged in red wine barrels for approximately 8-10 months, and then dry hopped with over 3.5 pounds per barrel of Mosaic, Amarillo, Citra, and Centennial hops. We love this beer both fresh off the dry hop and cellar aged.
Reviews by woodchip:

3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

I'm going to premise this review by clearly stating I'm a peasant who knows absolutely nothing about sours / farmhouse style brews. My hat is off to that last guy's review (I've read many to attempt to get an idea of what a sour should be). I've tried many, drain poured the first few thinking I had a bad batch. Holy crap though, I made my wife read that review to me in a sultry voice, it sounded like something from a dirty romance novel. Well done, we should do a bottle share sometime. I totally agree "it is a clean and palette stripping taste with essence of funky freshness." ... why am I getting turned on!!!?

In regards to this beer, I was impressed with the look and smell. It looked golden crisp and had a sharp tart smell ... then the flavor hit me. Definitely sour, have no idea what the red wine barrel did for the beer, maybe gave it a little extra vinegar in your face flavor? I made it through and feel a better man for finishing. I personally find myself associating activities and seasons with styles of beer I truly enjoy. I find myself asking, what season does the sour pair with? I find this beer interesting... but wouldn't naturally grab it after say mowing the lawn or cracking open on a cold winter night.

Definitely give this one a try though! Thanks beerdude88 for throwing this in with the trade, I really do enjoy trying new things.

4.24/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Surprisingly smooth and tantalizing bitter and sour interplay, the love affair that's exemplified in this wine barrel-aged, sour ale is a clean and palate stripping taste with essence of funky freshness.

The golden elixir is scantily cladded with a hazy veil as it builds a creamy and lathery froth. Above which releases its fruity and funky aura- equipped with juicy citrus, a curriously vinous tingle and a perfumy bouquet of tropical fruit. Underneath, the taste gently rolls onto the tongue with hints of sweetheart candy, fresh-baked bread and a modest fructose weave.

The ale simply blossoms across the middle palate. Its radiant tropical fruits waiver from pineapple, mango, papaya and melon and into the nearly teeth-churning sourness of lemon wedge, dried lime, sour grape and kiwi. Flavors develop quickly as the hop contribution forecast a bitter and resinous finish. But instead, sourness exhumes.

Caldering from below, the vinous tang of chardonnay and dry champagne carry a robust rosé taste that's remiss of strawberry and pomegranate. And once the dry and bubbly ale finishes, the palate is greeted with the lingering bitterness of citrus pith and earthen burlap.

4.19/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.43/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.04/5  rDev -2.4%

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.69/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Tasty stuff. Thanks Brent56 for hooking me up again. The sour elemenmt is prominent yet underscores and never overwhelmsthe citrusy taste. A sipper, very good with food.

Amorous from Wicked Weed Brewing