Genesis Blonde Sour - Wicked Weed Brewing

Wicked Weed Brewing visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Wild Ale |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: brentk56 on 01-14-2013

Genesis is brewed with over 200 lbs of Mango, Papaya, Guava and Pineapple and aged for 6-12 months in a variation of white wine barrels. Each batch is artfully blended to accentuate the tropical and wild nature of the yeast and fruit.
to view more.
Ratings: 486 | Reviews: 52
4.53/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Wicked Weed introduced me to sours; I love that they bottle them now. This one is the best that I have tried from them.

4.37/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Funkatorium

L- blond yellow with a little bit of clarity

S - sweet and funky

T - delicious funky sour blond.

F - highly carbonated.

O - an awesome brew. Not too sour or tart. Just right.

3.83/5  rDev -7%

Pours light straw blonde color with thin white head. Lots of tiny bubbles from the carbonation almost champagne like. The aroma mostly fruity esters and funky yeastines and faint pineapple comes through. The taste is sour bomb up front with funk yeast and ends dry with some lingering mango and pineapple. Light body, nice carbonation again like sipping on champagne. Refreshing tartness, enjoyed it however liked Oblivion a bit better.

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

I thought this one was awesome. Really good fruit and the wine barrel aging comes through on the finish with perfect carbonation.

3.81/5  rDev -7.5%

Genesis pours a clear bright straw color with no head. There is a big sour note, white ine like notes. The taste has a big sour flavor, fruity, dry, a big wine like flavor. Very drinkable and nice flavors. Overall its fruity, sour and very dry, a very well built sour.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Aroma is lightly brett funky, with tropical fruit notes, papaya, mango, and a moderate sweetness.

Flavor is decidedly sour, lactic and citric, with a touch of acetic acid.

4.14/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Golden and hazy, large and small bubbles rising fast, 2 fingers of off white head which fades fast.

S: Sour wild goodness mixed with creamy candied pineapple, tropical fruits, dry champagne and barrel quality also coming through. I also get lilies of the valley.

T: Sour, barrel age comes right in there, white wine qualities, very dry but fruity as in the tropical fruits without the sweetness. I get mangoes, perhaps some papaya, not so much pineapple.

M: Moderate to light acidic body with medium low flat soda like carbonation.

O: I picked this one up at the brewery in Asheville last summer, brought it to China and drank it here March 18th, 2015. Awesome brew. Takes me right back to my time at the brewery, enjoying their sampled brews along with fish and chips. Really good sour.

4.27/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Blonde sour ale aged in wine barrels with mango, papaya, guava, and pineapple. Poured from a bottle into a Wicked Weed snifter. The pour is crystal clear and deep gold with about a finger of creamy white head that dissipates very quickly (not surprising given the acidity). I don't have a highly educated palate where sours are concerned, but I really dig the nose on this one. In addition to the typical sour notes of apples and white wine, I get sweet fruity notes of pears and pineapples.

Light body and a sharp, astringent feel. Not very highly carbonated. Dry stone-ground wheat crackers up front, then wine-like acidic notes. Apple cider, lemons, and green grapes punctuated by pineapples and pears. Dry, champagne-like finish. Very refreshing. Sour in a fruity way, but not musty or funky.

My initial instinct was to suggest that this beer could stand some additional carbonation. However, after trying it I'd be afraid it might intensify the sour notes and wash out some of those nice fruity characteristics. Hence, I'd leave it as it is. Sometimes I think sour beers are wasted on me. I've tried quite a few, but I wouldn't be lying if I said I found many of them to be nearly indistinguishable. That said, I thought this one was delightful. The tartness was not overwhelming, the fruit and wine barrels come through, and I did not detect any unpleasant flavors.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a pale straw color with a small course white head. Smells like sour yeast, funky barnyard hay, white grape, oak, and tart citrus. The tart and funk blend well in the taste and the barrel character comes across nicely, some white wine notes. Light body, moderate carbonation and lively effervescence. Overall a very nice, easy drinking sour that is pretty much bone dry, I just wish it had more of the tropical fruit character, it's there but overpowered by the tartness and barrel character. Still very enjoyable.

4.34/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

One of my first exposures to sours, I was pleasantly surprised at how drinkable it was.

Don't really care for Sours,

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

The pour was a clear medium yellow with a small wispy white head. It possesses hints of a musty Brett yeast, tropical fruit (mango & papaya) and a touch of white wine. This brew has a nice tropical fruity taste upfront then sliding in is a slight vinous presence and a bit of funky sourness right at the end. All I can say I is YUM!!!
www.facebook.com/KAJIIsBeerReviews

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This really exceeded my expectations. Dry, tart, definte tropical fruits that follow a good amount of bite and the wine barrel presence seems to be slight. Drank this @ 60 degrees from the cellar and all the flavors just popped! Really good stuff.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Lots of grape must, not getting much tropical fruit but there is a slight citrus flavor. The grape dominates and mildly sour.

Amazing sour, really well balanced

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before pouring.

A: Light straw color, slightly hazy. The coarse egg-shell head quickly retreats to a non-existent head, but moderate effervesce.

S. Sour yeast, bacteria, neutral oak, tropical fruits, and a little funk.

T. The taste describes the explanation much more than the nose. This is certainly a tart sour, with a strong oak barrel present with minor notes of a dry white wine. The tropical fruits blend to remind me of a canned tropical fruit cup. A little hop bitterness.

M. Very smooth, light body, moderate carbonation.

O. Very good. This is a fruited up light sour with an excellent barrel presence and high tart level. This is easy to drink and goes great with food. This could easily replace a white wine to accompany a good chicken or fish dish.

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

Very tasty beer, with a sour lacto nose and tropical fruit flavor. My only hangup is that is was kind of thin, possibly a tad watery.

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Looks like apple juice, smells like papaya, tastes very nice

Maybe this was an aged bottle, but the taste was oxidation. I will certainly give this another try, as I love some of their beers

3.36/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

500 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Very light yellow body. Small yellow head. Extremely thin collar.

Smell - White wine and oak gives it a yogurt acidic tinge. White wine sweetness.

Taste - Lightly tart. Lots of white wine. Oak. That yogurt flavor lingers in the back end.

Mouthfeel - Medium light body. Low carbonation.

Overall - Good wine barrel sour. Not very sour, but tons of wine barrel.

4.34/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Gorgeous scents of sour pear, Apple, white wine, lemon, tangerines, guava and banana waft about but don't deliver much of that funky sour.

The flavor and feel are light and tempered but flavorful. Dry white wine, tropical fruit, coconut, pear, Apple, guava and pomegranate all make an appearance in sour ways but absent the vinegar funk.

Wicked Weed nailed this one because it's fantastic but never overly sour or funky.

3.67/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Shared 2014 bottle.
Light on funk but medium-high sourness.
Nice complexity lends high interest.
Low funk lends drinkability.

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Very excited to try this. My first sour from WW, and it's aged in white wine barrels with tropical fruits? Right up my alley.

Genesis pours a pale, cider-like straw color, with very little head retention. It smells like tart white wine grapes and a little bit of funk.

The taste is similar. Nice and crisp, with plenty of wine barrel character and some tartness that is a bit more subdued than in the nose. The tropical fruits really didn't come out for me until the beer warmed up, but they were definitely there.

The carbonation was on the low end of the spectrum. I would have preferred a bit more carb, but it really wasn't a detriment. Mouth feel was fine.

This reminded me of a tart saison, and I would probably rate it even a bit higher if it was listed as one. It just didn't quite bring the mouth-puckering sour that I look for in an American Wild Ale.

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

Let me start off this review by saying that I enjoy sours, but they are far from my favorite beer style. Pours almost white it's so clear, my girlfriend jokingly asked if I was sure I didn't buy a Miller Lite! Smells basically like moscato; sweet white wine. The taste is acidic and sour, but not even close to as sour as some I have tried. You can definitely taste that it was aged in white wine barrels. It is slightly fruity, pineapple and mango come to mind with a bit of a tart overtone. the acidity is what stays with you. Not perfect but I'm enjoying it for what it is, something different that I can drink slowly while enjoying a good movie. I assume people who are more sour enthusiastic than myself would find this an excellently made brew.

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

I have tried several sours now, and this is definitely the best one I have had. I could see myself drinking this one again. This is also the first one I can say that about. The only downside is the pricetag. I am sure there is a lot that goes on in the barrel aging and such, but is this beer worth $15? No. If it were in a 750 ml bottle sure, I could see that. If it was more like $10 I could see that. But for what it is, its too pricey.

Appearance: Golden hazy transparent beer. Lots of carbonation at first then settles. Kind of looks like a sparking wine a bit. But, not a clear.

Smell: Tropical fruits, a mild amount of funk and tartness.

Taste: Funk, earthiness, bolder sour flavors. The bottle says they use Mango, papaya and guava in making this. I detect some of the guava and mango, but papaya is such a subtle flavor to begin with, it really does not shine. I do detect sour apples and peach flavors in there. Its a very tart and refreshing beer.

Overall: Very tasty beer, this is the first sour that I have had that I would really recommend. But, all the while I kept thinking about this Gose from Anderson Valley I had a while back and fortunately I had a can left to do a comparison. They are very similar in profile, Genesis is definitely a more complex beer but it is also by comparison a much more expensive beer. I bought a 6 pack of the Kimmie for $11 and this 500 ml bottle was $15. You are getting a more complex beer, but the flavor profile is very close to the same. I

to view more.