1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin AleBlue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-1998)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,891 | Reviews: 668 | Show All Ratings:
jsisko01

4.8/5  rDev +55.8%

Appearance - Pours a darkish, amber color with a 1" creamy white head that disappeared quickly.

Smell - All I can really smell is the malts and maybe a hint of caramel. Something sweet I guess.

Taste - Quite bitter at first, but not overwhelming. Afterwards, you can taste the pumpkin along with some spices and maybe caramel.

Mouthfeel - Medium thickness and carbonation. A creaminess hinders in the mouth.

Overall - I like this beer quite a bit. I'd definitely get it again.

09-30-2011 03:29:01 | More by jsisko01
HeavyG

4.5/5  rDev +46.1%

A: This ale pours a amber orange color. A nice head but not to think.

S: This is one of my favorite fall beers due to the smell. There is a very nice smell of pumpkin and spice. It is not over the top with pumpkin.

T: You can taste the pumpkin and nutmeg spices. Just like the smell the pumpkin is not overpowering.

M: Very very smooth.

D: A easy beer to drink. Not heavy.

11-30-2008 21:16:50 | More by HeavyG
OverToad

4.45/5  rDev +44.5%

I read last year Blue Moon (Coors) was redoing their pumpkin ale and rename it Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale rather then the Harvest Moon.

This new one would have wheat and taste more of a pumpkin pie.

I always though the older one was rather bland. This one right off the bat taste like pumpkin pie. I can taste the pumpkin and spices. This is not Dogfish Punk but for a mass made beer, this one taste damn good for a pumpkin brew.

08-28-2011 00:52:46 | More by OverToad
RushLimbmalt

4.4/5  rDev +42.9%

I tried my first pumpkin ale out of the bottle. I thought it was horrible. Later I tried it again, but I poured it into my glass. I suddenly became impressed.

This is brewed owned by Coors? I can't believe they could make a beer this nice. It has a nice amber body and a white creamy head. It has a subtle aroma, but it is a terrific aroma of pumpkin spices. The flavor jumps out a lot more in the glass as did the aroma. This is my first pumpkin brew and I think it is pretty good. I will definitely be looking for this beer every fall.

10-02-2004 01:17:36 | More by RushLimbmalt
CS1971

4.38/5  rDev +42.2%

I think this is a great beer. I can't think of a Blue Moon beer I don't like, and I think that this seasonal is really something special. It is rich, complex, and unique. The pumpkin is subtle, yet still present, and the spices make it a real tasty beer.

Serving type: growler

08-24-2011 03:29:42 | More by CS1971
Tuey13

4.33/5  rDev +40.6%

This Pumpkin ale poured a beautiful amber orange color with a thick foamy head that dissipates into a nice thin head for the remainder of the drink. Nice pleasant spice aromas that aren't too overwhelming. I loved the taste of this pumkin ale! This is the smoothest pumpkin ale I have ever tasted, I could drink quite a few of these in succession with the last going down as easy as the first. The perfect amount of sweetness with mild hints of spice that makes this one stand out from other pumpkin brews.

09-20-2006 06:06:13 | More by Tuey13
Beerislife652854

Connecticut

4.33/5  rDev +40.6%

My local packie just started to sell this (August 30).

A - Crystal clear deep amber with a decent head, there is some lacing.

S - Very mild, almost non-existant.

T - Again, very mild. Some autumn spices, nutmeg, pumpkin pie.

M - Not overly carbonated. Smooth.

D - A nice beer for the transition from summer to winter.

08-30-2008 21:08:16 | More by Beerislife652854
brewmaster2

4.3/5  rDev +39.6%

appearance - it has a nice amber brown hue to it.just the right amount of carbonation, i thought it could have had a little more head to it with better retention.nice and clear not cloudy.

smell - it has a sweet malty smell mixed with spicy hop smell.thae smell was very inviting.

taste - a sweet malty taste mixed with pumkin spicy flavor you can also taste the nutmeg. a very balanced over all flavor.

mouthfeel - it had a full body feel in my mouth,perfect carbonation very smooth.

drinkability - it was a very smooth easy drinking beer.not overly spicy nor too much pumkin flavor very nice beer will definatly purchase again.

10-09-2006 17:38:02 | More by brewmaster2
SometimesIfart

4.28/5  rDev +39%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours a dark copper with a quickly receding half finger of head. Leaves no lacing. Smells of pumpkin pie, pumpkin pie crust, slight cinnamon, and slight ginger. The taste is of straight pumpkin crust, With a good dose of ginger thrown into the mix. Only thing missing is the whipped cream. The mouthfeel keeps the mentioned flavors however the nutmeg comes through and dominates over the rest of the flavors. Over all, this was a delicious beer that would pair up well with Thanksgiving dinner. Hell, Even my girlfriend liked it!

08-10-2012 19:15:21 | More by SometimesIfart
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

4.23/5  rDev +37.3%

Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale has a very thick, fluffy, off-white or cream-colored head, a clear, copper appearance, lots of tiny streaming bubbles, and a good amount of thick lacing left on the glass. The aroma is essentially of pumpkin pie- spices, pumpkin, dough, sweetness, etc. Just terrific! The flavor is likewise pumpkin pie in a glass, with an added, underlying beer flavor, bitterness, and even some sourness. Mouthfeel is medium and a bit soft, and Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale finishes mostly dry, refreshing, pleasant, and delicious. I was shocked, to say the least. I highly recommend giving this a try!

RJT

09-19-2012 13:59:18 | More by RonaldTheriot
CAP1868

4.18/5  rDev +35.7%

Served in a 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A-Light amber/reddish color with a small head nothing much else

S- Smells of spices coriander and pumpkin, smells just like fall in my humble opinion

T- Tastes just like it smells full of pumpkin with heavy spices. A spiced pumpkin pie comes to mind when I try to explain taste.

M-Relatively light for all the spices and pumpkin mixed into this brew

D- The carbonation in my opinion is great and I could drink quite a few of this delicious beer.

I really enjoy this brew even though it gets a bad rap from people because it is a Coors product. This beer really made me want to go out and try different types of beer.

03-28-2009 13:46:10 | More by CAP1868
Alfred

4.18/5  rDev +35.7%

As far as pumpkin beers go, this one is off the chain. Forget what the antiquated reviewers think; I can drink a six pack to the head by my lonesome, and not feel any raunchiness towards the makers. This beer is the shit!
I won't go into the Yuppy classifications : ASTMO...if you want pretentiousness check Google. I will keep it unadulteratingly real: this beer is good-quality pumpkin. Not the best, but drinkable, and worth the money spent. I have a bigger problem with the ass-clowns trying to act like like they know what "good beer" is. Fuk 'Em! and Fuk' Em good!

10-07-2012 04:28:14 | More by Alfred
agleas1

4.15/5  rDev +34.7%

I'm generally not a fan of Pumpkin beers, but this one is pretty tasty! Seems less "pumpkiny" than last years version. Recently had it at a beer dinner paired with a German brat and sauteed root vegetables...they were great together. In a word-delicious!

09-14-2011 13:38:41 | More by agleas1
jasonjlewis

4.1/5  rDev +33.1%

This beer is not a true pumpkin ale. It's more like a pumpkin spiced ale. The beer tastes very nice. Complex. Pumpkin with nutmeg and caramel malts. Hop character is in the backround and blends nicely. The beer clings to the mouth nicely and is crisp. This is a beer everyone can enjoy. If you don't like pumpkin ales, don't be afraid of this one, pumpkin is just a spice in the brew.

This is a very seasonable brew. I was very pleased.

10-10-2006 14:35:19 | More by jasonjlewis
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.1/5  rDev +33.1%

So I gave in on this one only because it was a seasonal. I am really not a fan of Blue Moon in general, but figured I would give this one a shot and see how it fared. I was actually pleasantly surprised. Poured a nice clear deep pumpkin colored amber with a huge off white fizzy and foamy head on the top. A ton of carbonation bubbling up from the bottom kept it replenished enough that it had some nice side glass lace present. The aroma was very inviting, tons of spice were blowing you away from the very beginning. I was quite impressed with how strong the aroma of nutmeg and spice coming off of it was. A nice malty and bread like back was apparent as well and this translated over to the taste wonderfully. A deep rich spiced flavor came over you immediately. It had the definite pumpkin pie spiced taste, but not overblown. This was subtle enough to get the pint across without being too sweet and really making you say enough. Great feel, nice and light with a great medium body and full flavor. The carbonation stuck around until the very end and made it feel very full. I easily could have had more then one and was quite surprised with how easy of a drinker it was. Overall I really actually enjoyed this. I have had some better seasonals before, but this was a solid offering and there was no doubt about it. I would not hesitate to try this one again, it was really well done and light enough to be sessionable. My first good experience from Blue Moon, heck it had to happen sometime.

10-19-2007 00:16:11 | More by mikesgroove
jeremyd365

4.1/5  rDev +33.1%

Pours a hazy dark amber with a small white head and seemingly having medium-high carbonation. The smell is a pleasant spiciness with mild pumpkin. It is medium-bodied and sits well in the mouth. The taste is where it's at! The pumpkin and spices land much harder than I would have expected from the milder scent. It's got a strong finish and aftertaste which is really delicious. This one's not too heavy either so it's really drinkable. I'll definitely be having this one again.

09-20-2008 00:17:29 | More by jeremyd365
ConsumerOfBeer

Maryland

4.06/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This beer is essentially pumpkin pie in a glass. Definitely not a bad thing if that's what your in the mood for, and I was.

A: Honestly can't remember for the life of me. 3.5!

S: Smells of sweet pumpkin and lots of spice. Could almost be a wintertime drink.

T: The most pumpkin flavor I've ever tasted in a beer, and I loooveee pumpkin. Very heavily spiced with a sweet start and finish. Ever so skunky, however, but Blue Moon tends to do that for me in general (still enjoy it).

M: Just like eating a pumpkin pie. Seriously.

O: I really enjoyed this beer. If you want something for after a meal, or just something for the fall season, I would recommend this brew. Any pumpkin lover will like this. Fact.

10-23-2013 06:39:54 | More by ConsumerOfBeer
brewdlyhooked13

4.05/5  rDev +31.5%

Pours a festive orange-amber color. A plump and creamy head looks to have some staying power, but dwindles to a bare covering and fairly sold collar.

The smell yields pleasant pumpkin notes, some decent albeit light spiciness thrown in and a tad yeasty, too. A bit more than I expected from Coors, whatever that's worth. More cinnamon aromas emerge as it warms and endure for the entire sampling, earning bonus points from this cinna-head.

Taste is a little on the candyish side, but not bad. The malts are there as are the requisite fall spices. Softer than Buffalo Bill's taste-wise. This has better balance I think between the malts, the pumpkin, and the spice flavors. The aftertaste gravitates towards an enjoyable cinnamon-clove thing that makes for a thumbs-up ending.

Mouthfeel is sturdy, not too heavy. An artificial sweetness pushes it towards cloying, but it's not *that* sweet. Does drape in the mouth a bit, though.

A very nice drinkable seasonal for both fall and winter. It was a decent crossover hit at a Halloween party I went to. Guys and gals alike, while they didn't go crazy over it, all seemed to enjoy the change of pace with this pleasant spice-style beer.

12-07-2003 05:27:05 | More by brewdlyhooked13
jeffmonarch

Maryland

4.05/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Orange brown clear in color with a thick white head.

S - Pumpkin, spice and malt.

T - One of the better pumpkin ales. Definite pumpkin flavor. There are a lot of spices also. I can pick up the nutmeg, it's very strong. It tastes a lot like pumpkin pie mix before you bake it, only a little less sweet.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - Good beer.

09-27-2008 05:33:15 | More by jeffmonarch
woodychandler

4.05/5  rDev +31.5%

Another find in my cellar. Tomorrow is Christmas in July at Iron Hill, so why not a prelude Hallowe'en/Thanksgiving beer today?

From the bottle: "This amber-colored, naturally flavored ale is only brewed in the autumn and combines the flavor of vine-ripened pumpkin & spices with traditional crystal malt."; "With its clove, nutmeg and allspice flavors, this amber-colored ale is perfect for fall's crisp, clear days. Serve this hearty brew with all of your autumn meals."

It looks to have held up quite well! I got a dense finger of tawny head with great retention in the heat from my pour. Color was an orangish-amber with NE-quality clarity. The spices really carried the day on the nose. I got clove immediately and I am not sure that I can discern between nutmeg and allspice, but there was more than just clove in there. Mouthfeel was medium to full and the spices had mellowed into a melange of spice, almost cinnamon-like, but quite nice. Finish was dry and refreshing, very welcome on this humid afternoon. I recommend drinking any you may have still around so that you can load up on the fresh stuff in a few months.

07-22-2011 20:40:41 | More by woodychandler
SilentSabre

North Dakota

I gave this 4's across the board. I don't know why so many people have given this such a poor score. On the other hand, this is the only pumpkin ale I have ever had, so, perhaps when compared to others, this one isn't very good. What ever the case, I really like this one. It poured an orangy-copper with little head. Only a white ring of lace around the outside edges. Decent lacing. The smell is very "appropriate" for seasonals this time of year. Plenty of sweetness in the smell, as well as spice. A tiny bit of clove with a healthy dose of nutmeg. Excellent. The taste, too, is "par for the course" for autumn seasonals. A little bready/yeasty. Some spice is certainly evident in the taste. This would be really good with some honey glazed ham. Mouthfeel is nice. Not too heavy, nor too light. Very ever so slightly syrupy. Just slightly enough to add some weight to the liquid. Overall, while not impressed or stunned, I still thought it was very nice indeed and will likely buy it again.

09-17-2005 18:53:54 | More by SilentSabre
Mitchster

Pours out to a clear orange-copper, forming a tall rocky beige head with very good retention and good lacing. The head recedes into little clumps of flocculant colonies. The carbonation is moderate. The aroma is interesting...nutmeg and ginger and predominant with cinnamon tucked neatly away in there. It's not too overbearing and if it bothers you, the aroma is minimized by drinking it out of the bottle. Despite this, there is a solid backbone of amber and crystal malts balanced by a hop nose that can be appreciated by swirling. Interestingly, a subtle smoky note is also evident with swirling. Nice nuance for a Coors product. The mouthfeel is sharp with carbonation and spices but not offensive. Medium bodied. Taste begins with the dominant aforementioned spices, but is followed by a "macrobrew" syrupy twang of corn with some harsh higher alcohols and muddy, copper aftertaste. Bitterness is mild, and the mildly offensive aftertaste is of lingering spices and corn. The beer creates a sick feeling in the stomach and feels syrupy.

Ya know, this one started out nice...looking and smelling promising, but you just can't get away from the macro-corn taste. I'd stick to Buffalo Bill's, which is the best I've had from this style. Not very drinkable.
L=4.5, A=3.5, T=2.5, MF=3.5, D=2.0

Update 2007. Now called "Harvest Moon". Now it seems to taste much better. That macro twang is mostly gone, the mouthfeel is not ruddy, and there is a nice balance between the malts and the spice. Score updated to reflect my most recent tasting.

10-24-2005 22:50:06 | More by Mitchster
lakeviewmike

Wisconsin

A very tasty beer. Copper/orange color. Small head. A red ale with balanced hops and malt flavors. Mild pumpkin spices that add to the flavor but do not overwhelm.

These seems like an Oktoberfest style of beer and I think it is a very good one. Better than Sam Adams Oktoberfest which I feel is way too spicey.

12-02-2006 18:02:07 | More by lakeviewmike
Beeryce

I think this is a good beer. The rich orange amber hue and frothy off-white head match the pumpkin pie aroma and taste. Though stability is low some laceing is left behind.

The aroma is spicey and warming with a rich malty backbone. A slight floralness in the spice, presumably yeast. The taste starts with a dominate spice character but a nice maltiness smooths this. The spice seams to be a composition of your normal pumpkin pie spice. A slight hop bitterness is present in the finish, making it slightly dry. The overall mouthfeel is pleasent and matches the taste, aroma and color well, being a little course in texture.

Good drinkability the spice might get to be to much after about four or so. Overall very good, one of my favorite seasonals and rather affordable.

01-26-2007 02:05:54 | More by Beeryce
erosier

Connecticut

This beer pours an orange amber color with a medium bodied tan colored head that laced the glass somewhat. The aroma was of some light malts and some sweet pumpkin spices - cinnamon and nutmeg mostly. The taste was pretty good for a pumpkin ale. It has a nice slightly roasted malt backbone that complements the nutmeg and cinnamon flavors for a pretty good taste. The mouthfeel was crisp yet smooth for a very drinkable pumpkin beer that was pretty enjoyable. I am looking forward to its release next year.

03-18-2008 15:09:59 | More by erosier