2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin AleBlue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-1998)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,891 | Reviews: 668 | Show All Ratings:
harrymel

Washington

1.02/5  rDev -66.9%

Best by 27FEB12

A: brownish with no head formation and excellent clarity. Spackled surface bubbles with no lace.
S: Cardboard. Thats it. I am really getting nothing else here.
T: Wow, first drain pour in quite some time. Really awful. Tastes like plastic and cardboard. Fetid.
M: thin with hi carbonation.
O: This beer is horrid, I would recommend this to not one person. Not even my worst enemy.

10-20-2011 07:06:32 | More by harrymel
cptnjck101

1.27/5  rDev -58.8%

Maybe it's just me, but I want my beer to taste like... beer. I don't know what the hell this shit was, but it wasn't beer. I got a six pack of it because I had never tried it and I figured a Coors product could only be so bad right? Wrong. It took me and my roommate the better half of a month to kill just four of them. Put the fifth in my collection and gave the last one away to a stripper, who drank about a sip threw it away. If you really, really like pumpkin give it a try, otherwise stick with a real beer.

04-26-2004 15:43:32 | More by cptnjck101
CEversole

1.27/5  rDev -58.8%

A: Intermideate brown to an almost read color, one finger head that dissapates into nothing, little to no lacing.

S: Very dissapointed. I smell no spices or pumpkin, or anything that is recognizable of a P.A. Just seems to be a bit of hops in the background.

M: This is the best thing about the beer, and thats not saying much. Kinda crisp, thats about it. Moderate carbonation.

T: I am very dissapointed in the taste. I know its coors, but I don't think they even tryed to make this taste like a pumpkin ale. Very bland, no taste at all. A very, and I mean VERY, small hit of some spices. You really gotta be looking for them. Nothing to even write here.

O: I'm not one to bash a beer just because it is made by the "man" (macro-breweries) but damn, come on coors. not pleased in my first P.A. of the season.

09-26-2011 03:24:32 | More by CEversole
Jesse13713

1.27/5  rDev -58.8%

Appearance - A watery pumpkin orange color. A bit of sunrise amber that is transparent.

Smell - Not much going on here. A bit of vine and faint, light pumpkin spice. Not so impressive.

Taste - Terribly awful. Painfully plain. A light, carbonated and fizzy vine-like taste.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - Light-bodied and plain. I don't get much pumpkin taste in this at all. A boring mess from Coors. This pretty much just tastes like Coors Light with a bit of vegetable and vine. Nothing special.

11-03-2011 02:12:29 | More by Jesse13713
bashiba

Iowa

1.45/5  rDev -52.9%

Poured a nice pumpkiny orange with a small white head and almost no retention.

Smelled ever so slightly of toasted malts and cinnamon.

Taste initialy of a mixture of raw pumpkin and light malts which quickly followed a sour off flavor mixing with minor pumpkin spices. Just flat out bad.

Mouthfeel is exactly what you would expect from any coors product. Thin and watery with almost no body to speak of.

Drinkability was terrible. I forced myself to drink one thinking maybe it would get better, but didn't. Will never, ever drink another.

12-28-2004 03:42:21 | More by bashiba
velkyal

1.6/5  rDev -48.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Sight - amber, 1 inch of white head

Smell - spicy, acetone, wet cardboard

Taste - watery, some spice, fruity

Sweet - 3/5

Bitter - 1/5

Goodness me this is boring stuff. Bland, undertoned and quite simply insipid. If this is the best large brewery in America, then God help us.

09-20-2010 17:01:36 | More by velkyal
Jerone

1.63/5  rDev -47.1%

A - A nice brown orange color with a quickly fading white head and some tiny bubbles.

S - Not a lot of smell, but there is a bit of pumpkin spice and malt.

T - Not a lot of flavor, but what is there is bad. There is a light pumpkin and spice taste that just doesn't taste right to me and maybe a bit of malt in the background.

M - Light body, watery, with light to medium carbonation.

O - I like pumpkin beers but this one was just bad, blue moon usually has decent beers, but I would not recommend this one.

08-06-2011 14:36:56 | More by Jerone
dcook11

1.65/5  rDev -46.4%

Out of the fridge for about 15 mins. Drink on a moderatly hot october afternoon.

A- zero head from an aggresive pour. High carbonation with dar orange hue. Very unimpressive look to this beer.

S- Upon crack the bottle open I realized the nose is weak on this beer. Funky adjunct smell. Not like a bud or a coors, but the same destestable oder I encountered upon drinking simple times pilsner. The worst smell I could imagine in a beer. Very faint red apple with just a splice of pumpkin. Smells like a funky apple cider.

T- Carbonated apple juice. Not really getting any all spice or pumpkin at all. Very watery and simple, but not in a endearing way.

M- Like fermented drinking apple cut with club soda. Odd to say the least and not something I want to revisit.

D- Aweful. Close to a drain pour.

A waste of money. Had buffalo bills the other day and that is a fine example of a pumpkin brew. Coors drops the ball once again.

09-29-2010 22:57:05 | More by dcook11
knoxtennessee

Tennessee

1.68/5  rDev -45.5%

Pretty much what I expect from the folks who bring us coors light.

A- Looks like a copper beer. Really clear, perhaps too clear. Really thin, which is inapropriate for the style.

S- Almost none what so ever. This style is famous for smelling like pie, lots of sweet and spice and bread. This almost doesn't even smell like beer.

T- Right on par with the smell. The only discernable taste is a coppery metalic taste like oxygenation/stale quallity. Doesn't even taste like beer. At least cheap lite beer taste like beer, this was almost like drinking soapy water.

M- Watery. Again this style is supposed to be rich and full, but this one was probably thinner than water.

D- not drinkable. Very lame even for a blue moon.

10-02-2010 15:23:03 | More by knoxtennessee
radshoesbro

1.73/5  rDev -43.8%

awful! from beginning to end this was not good. the color is very light for my taste (you could see through it!). the head was actually quite nice, very big frothy white, somewhat lacey.

smells very much like any pumpkin flavored beer should smell. spicey with a hint of pumpkin to it.

as soon as i tasted this i was disgusted. the spices were quite weak and you didn't get any hint of pumpkin until the finish. a very terrible aftertaste occured that i couldn't get out of my mouth without the help of water between almost every single sip.

if your idea of a good time is eating pumpking pie and drinking high life maybe you'll enjoy this...but i doubt it.

09-23-2005 04:22:54 | More by radshoesbro
KajII

1.73/5  rDev -43.8%

[Best served in a Lager glass]

The pour was a hazy dark amber with an average sized (1-2 finger) creamy white head that lasted a little while and produced excellent lacing that stuck to the glass rather nicely.

The aroma was very weak of a mild crystal malt and a moldy yeast with a very light hint of nutmeg and pumpkin.

It tasted bitter and acidic with just an ever so light hint of nutmeg in the beginning and finished about the same with a harsh bite of pumpkin rind at the end. The flavor lasted a long time letting the taste of rind hang around way to long.

Mouthfeel was light to medium in body and dry in texture with a very lively carbonation

Overall this did not really even taste like a Pumpkin Ale which was rather disappointing.

11-19-2011 21:09:30 | More by KajII
hungryghost

District of Columbia

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

In the glass the beer looks fine, amber in color. The smell was nothing great but not offensive or specifically pumpkin.
It was sticky in my mouth, with an odd aftertaste.
I am a big fan of pumpkin spice beer in the fall. I was expecting more pumpkin spice and do not feel it delivered. I just did not really care for it at all.

08-21-2003 14:58:33 | More by hungryghost
UncleFlip

Alabama

1.83/5  rDev -40.6%

Copper colour with almost non-existent just off white head. Ever so slight haze.

Smell is thick and heady, and reminds me of a store-bought pumpkin pie that's been in the fridge a bit too long.

Flavour is hard to nail down- a bit ashy, with overtones of that pie from the smell comments. Not much flavour on finish.

Just slight bit high on the carbonation, and a body that's just about right.

Not very drinkable at all...but oddly, I've had worse....else it would have gotten a 1.

Be well
-UF

01-28-2006 07:09:42 | More by UncleFlip
dfclav

look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Harvest moon pumpkin ale

Best by march 07, 2011

Poured into perfect pint glass. Beer given to me from a friend at work.

A - orangish/amber color with a quick 1 finger head that left in about 10 seconds with no lacing.

S - this is a tough one. Not much smell on this guy...that domestic ale alcohol the smallest bit of peppery spice....that's it really. Nothing the bottle says.

T - boy this is a bland pumpkin ale but what did I expect? The smallest bit of pumpkin, no cloves no allspice...little bit of pepper and oranges...My buds are failing me here, I got nothin'.

M - light, at least it has decent carbonation.

D - this was not a good pumpkin ale, not that I was expecting much but it didn't even meet the criteria I had thought it to be. If you want pumpkin ale spend the extra few bucks and get one that's worth it. You'll thank me.

12-10-2010 09:45:47 | More by dfclav
jasonpeckins32

look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a tan-orange color with a very minimal fizzy head that dissipates immediatley. The nose reminds me of an ipa, but milder. I also sense some sort of roasted malts as well. The taste is also much fainter than I had expected. It tastes like a cheap, really boring ale. The only thing I notice that even reminds me of pumpkin is the spices that go along with pumpkin pie. And even those are stretched quite thin. The mouthfeel is too thin, it feels like a light beer, or even lighter. The drinkability is okay, I mean it goes down well. It just doesnt taste good, smell right, feel right, or live up to any of the expectations I had. I hope I wasn't expecting too much, but this beer did not impress me at all.

10-21-2005 12:01:35 | More by jasonpeckins32
linc6

1.93/5  rDev -37.3%

I've been drinking alot of beers in 40 yrs. But this beer is crap, maybe it's me but, I had to get it super cold to kill of the 6 pack!
I probibly have had worse, but when you get old, I want a good old fashion, refreshing brew, one that makes you want another and another ...! Not have to sip and force it down. I give this the REAL MOON !!!

10-23-2007 13:26:11 | More by linc6
Overlord

1.93/5  rDev -37.3%

Pours a watery looking light amber. Small white head. Expected it to smell like pumpkin, but almost no aroma whatsoever.

Taste is ... awful. Some weird spice mixture, basically no pumpkin ... maybe a bit of malt. Just completely avoidable.

The mouthfeel is watery.

10-28-2008 06:15:55 | More by Overlord
mckemp

South Carolina

1.93/5  rDev -37.3%

A-Orange/Brown, very clear, and looks like a pumpkin ale (But don't be deceived).

S- Nutmeg, ginger, no real pumpkin aroma.

T-Closer to a gingerbread than a pumpkin. Earthy and bland. No pumpkin taste at all.

M- Light in comparison to true pumpkin ales, doesn't have the same body as other pumpkins.

O-Very disappointing. It was the second "pumpkin" I've found this season, and it gives pumpkins a bad name. Do not expect real pumpkins to taste like this. I think it doesn't deserve the pumpking name, "Harvest Spice" is more like it.

08-29-2011 20:26:48 | More by mckemp
BigPlay1824

Enjoyed in a pint glass

A: Pours a decent looking amber color that is slightly hazy with a medium amount of carbonation bubbles and about two fingers worth of head that is very fine and is a light tan color that lingers nicely, leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass
S: very gentle on the pumpkin spice notes, kind of just has a bland scent with a bit of pumpkin to it
T: bland, not much at the begining or end and only slight pumpkin taste in the middle, bland bland bland
M: medium carbonation in the beginning, not bad through the middle, leaves a bit of zest feeling on the palate afterwards
O: not a good pumpkin, no depth, no complexity, no taste really, just bland and not something i would buy again

10-02-2011 20:52:16 | More by BigPlay1824
SamN

Colorado

1.95/5  rDev -36.7%

Pours a perfectly clear orange/amber color. Thick, smooth but fine head of about two fingers initially, but thins to just one after a few moments. Nice color in light, but out of light turns to a murky, dirty looking beer. Some light lacing left as head fades out a bit. Smell is a real shock; a musty, slightly bitter/rusty/oxidized smell, accompanied by bland and flat cereal malt and pumpkin rind. Pretty gross smells, I really cannot find any redeeming qualities in the aroma. Taste is a flowing, almost creamy malt and pumpkin flavor. Toasty nuts, some faint caramel notes. Hints of cleaning solvents present, unfortunately. Taste, overall, is bland and uninspired. Boring, boring beer. Hardly any real pumpkin tastes, spices are faint and far-away and all your left with is a cheap tasting shell of a beer. Mouthfeel is, of course, light and empty feeling. Drinkability? Decent, since there's not much to this.

Overall, this is nothing to wait all year for. Bland and boring, only a faint suggestion of real pumpkin beer.

11-05-2010 18:57:42 | More by SamN
TastyTaste

1.98/5  rDev -35.7%

Clear orange/copper color, with not too much head on the pour, fading to practically nothing quickly. Nutmeg and sour pumpkin is about all I get from the nose, not to appealing, also a little malt present, but not too much. Taste is rather bland, not a lot of pumpkin flaovr coming through, and what is there during the aftertaste is sweet, and rather cloying. Ech. Not a very good beer, and as far as pumpkin ales go, I would definitely skip it.

09-04-2005 04:43:16 | More by TastyTaste
CheckmateBrew

Georgia

1.98/5  rDev -35.7%

OK, it is that time of year, and the local brewpub always has its pumpkin ale, of which I am a big fan. So I had high hopes for the Harvest Moon

Pint pour and little to no head. Color of the beer is a light copper and clear.

Not a lot of smell, was expecting more for a "spiced" beer.

Tastes light and has an aftertaste. I suspect that some people will like this, maybe I was just expecting something special.

light almost like a home brew before carbonation.

I would say this was more for the mass market, than for someone who likes micro beers.

Regretting that I bought a full six pack. They will make nice halloween gifts to stressed out parents on Halloween night.

09-27-2010 02:26:54 | More by CheckmateBrew
winomark

Missouri

Medium copper with a quickly fading light tan head. Aromas of candy sugar dominate the nose. Wouldn't know this was a pumpkin ale unless you told me. Palate is quite boring. No pumpkin or pumpkin pie spice noticable. Light mouthfeel, and with almost no flavor. Boring. I don't see how they can bottle this and call it a pumpkin ale. No character, no flavor, and no need to try this one under any circumstances,

11-03-2004 04:50:12 | More by winomark
Brad007

Vermont

Pours a mild copper amber color with a nice foamy head that has some lacing. Aroma has some pumpkin spice in it, somewhat bready like pumpkin pie upfront. Taste is somewhat thin and watery with the pumpkin barely holding up in the taste. A second sip is less watery than the first but still leaves very little of that pumpkin essence on the tongue.

Not a bad effort overall but nothing impressive either. Then again, none of the Blue Moon beers are that impressive to me anyway.

09-15-2007 23:08:59 | More by Brad007
Wasatch

Utah

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight pumpkin, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, there is some pumpkin in here, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

03-16-2010 00:32:46 | More by Wasatch