Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-1998

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 714 | Hads: 2,614
2.28/5  rDev -26.2%

12oz bottle poured in to 16oz standard glass. Relatively soft pour caused an ~.5" head that thinned out quickly. Coppery color and very clear.

S - musky malty with maybe a little hint of clove.
T - about the same with a poor finish.
M - fizzy, thin, lingers, blah
D - Bought several 6's last year prior to being a true beer advocate. Bought one 6 this year and probably won't buy it again. Not even the idea of pumpkin exists within this brew.

2.29/5  rDev -25.9%

A: It has a dark shade of amber, similar to how whiskey would look. It is brilliantly clear, and light refracts nicely through the beer. The head is very thin, and dissipates quickly leaving behind very little actual head. There is not much lacing to be had, except for what sticks to the ring surrounding the glass at the edge of the meniscus.

S: There isn't much scent to this at all. It has a slight malt-like scent that you'd get from an amber ale or a brown ale. I pick up some very slight hop scents but it's far too mellow to even try to identify. I pick up no pumpkin or spice scents. I'm not impressed at all by the smell.

T: I do pick up some pumpkin flavors, but it's so light that I hesitate to even say that I'm positive there's even pumpkin in this. I pick up that odd starchy aftertaste that pumpkin always leaves, but there's none of the bold up-front flavor. There is not spice flavor like you'd get out of other pumpkin beers. It's about average for a regular beer, but I can't score it average for a pumpkin beer.

M: The mouthfeel is about average. It has a light effervescence with a light to medium mouthfeel.

O: Overall I can't even score this average, because unfortunately it does not rank with average beers. It's not bad as a beer individually, and would be good as a midway between a light lager and something like a brown ale. Unfortunately it does not stack up if a person is looking for a pumpkin beer.

2.29/5  rDev -25.9%

A = Very much an autumn color (reddish orange). Very thin beige head that fades within thirty seconds, hardly leaving a trace. Slight carbonation.

S = Maybe it's just my amateur "beer nose" but I don't really catch anything distinctive about the smell. Just a typical hoppy smell.

T = The typical "fall flavors" (pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon) are slight compared to other pumpkin ales (particularly Dogfish Head Punkin Ale). Leaves sort of an odd aftertaste.

M = Crisp, light

D = Not for me. Being a fan of pumpkin ales and Blue Moon, I thought this would be terrific. I was truly disappointed.

2.29/5  rDev -25.9%

All show and no go – that’s this beer. Poured a very nice pumpkin amber with a frothy tan head, nice lacing. Then; get down to the nut cutting;

Weak medicine pumpkin aroma, almost no pumpkin in this mass produced Coors crappola. Guess they waved a pumpkin over the brewing pot. Tart astringent pumpkin ale. One of the worst pumpkins I’ve ever had.

Cheap beer, and it tastes it.

Re-Rate 10-15-04

Dropped mouthfeel down a little...rest remians the same...this is just not very good...their White Ale is 1000 times better...tastes almost like a cheap micro like Glueks..
Pours a semi clear orange color with a tanish head...Nose is toasty...not a lot of spices or pumpkin...nice medium, creamy mouthfeel....flavor is low on the pumpkin and spices...a very subtle pumpkin flavor but really more of a toasty, amber ale like taste to it....flavors are muted....but at the same time this has a ncie mouthfeel and slides down nicely...

I would not recommend this...not enough pumpkin and spices....not a horrible beer, but there are many better pumpkins out there...

2.3/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance is a crystal clear light brown with an off-white head that quickly disipates. Hard to pick up smell but hints of spices, orange or citrus fruit, light malt or bread. Tastes kind of neutral or even with hints of spices and very light pumpkin undertone, nothing really jumping out at me. Nutmeg and nutty aftertaste. Goes down pretty smooth. Keep this one around for my wife, she likes it and i can drink it but not at the top of my shopping list.

2.3/5  rDev -25.6%

Big letdown here. This is a watered down version of a pumpkin beer.
Poured from a bottle to a pint glass a nice dark orange color with a cream head that remained throughout. Smelled like nothing closely related to pumpkin. Very watery taste with some pumpkin flavor and cloves. Clove spice lingers a bit but otherwise flavor is weak and lacking. Medium carbonation here and drinks easy enough, its just bland. I like Blue Moon and loved their Spring "seasonal" but this is crap.

2.3/5  rDev -25.6%

Had this beer at a pizza place in Park City. The waiter mentioned something about a pumpkin ale and my heart sank as this mass produced bit of floatsam landed on my table. This was just a bland and unexciting beer. Not much flavor (what pumkin?), I'd suggest they rename it corn flake ale, it would be more appropriate. I recommend getting water instead.

2.3/5  rDev -25.6%

So I’m not going to break this beer down by the old ASTMO, because I just really don’t like it. I’ve had it before and I have a ton of beer that is in my fridge that I need to take down before I leave Houston, and that date is encroaching rapidly. I can’t bring myself to just throw this beer away or even drink it without reviewing it, because I just hate it so much and I don’t ever want to have to buy it again in order to review it. Now lets move on to my brief inebriated thoughts as I casually dismantle this beer.

I think that it is a failed approach to a pumpkin beer. A caricature of what a beer is supposed to be. In fact, I could even see someone without an ounce of beer knowledge thoroughly enjoying it. It tastes like a big, stupid, pumpkin. Like a horrible, watery, metallic, facetious, hyperbolic pumpkin. I just hate this beer. I want to meet the guy who gave this the nod as the beer they wanted to put out there. And I just want to say to him that he, no matter who he is, is better than what this beer represents to me. It’s a cop-out, it’s bad, deceptive, blunt—literally without any subtlety or complexity. It’s not even about how bad this is, it’s more about how you can tell there is no love here. I’m not sure that even one person involved in the brewing of this cared at all about trying to really make a beer they thought people would enjoy you know? It tastes like a marketing campaign.

Don’t buy this beer. Just don’t do it.

2.31/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours a clear bright copper color with creamy off white head. Nose is quite faint with some pumpkin and spice. Taste much like the aroma is too faint and watery. The taste of pumpkin and clove that is present is not all that pleasant. Overall, this is a pretty weak attempt at a Pumpkin Ale. I give Coors credit for trying, but they need to go back to the drawing board on this one.

2.32/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

I know full well this is Coors, but even still, I honestly have to say that I was expecting more from this. I like Blue Moon for what it is, I was expecting a solid drinkable beer here.

Pours into a Sam Adams glass. Head's a little too fizzy-like-a-soft-drink. Nice amber color though.

Generic aroma, and I swear that if I take deep enough whiffs, I detect a little ammonia and soap. I swear I rinsed my glass out well! Some caramel maltiness, but not enough to save it.

Fail. This fails as a pumpkin ale. I don't get much pumpkin or spice at all. It's more of an amber ale, and not a very good amber ale at that. I get some squashy taste at the back end, that's about it, but not well defined at all.

Bubbly, fizzy mouthfeel, but really not too bad on this score. Fizzy but not overly fizzed out.

Easy to drink, if I'm comparing it to a 12% barleywine, but against others in this class, it doesn't stack up. I actually did think I would like this better than I do - I didn't try this just to bash Coors.

2.32/5  rDev -24.9%

Appearance: Orange-brown with, decent head but settles all too quickly.

Smell: Malts with just a hint of sweet fruit. I can maybe smell pumpkin if I think of pumpkin.

Taste: Goes down smooth and pretty generic, then the allspice and nutmeg hit, along with just a hint of pumpkin.

Aftertaste: Sweet, feels light and crisp.

2.33/5  rDev -24.6%

Appearance: "muddy" light brown color. Foamy 1" head that quickly disipates.

Smell: has a yeasty odor to it

taste: The hops hit first. This beer has a spicy bite to it. The pumpkin taste does not stand out to me. I am slightly disappointed by this beer. Deffiantly the worst fruit beer I have tasted.

mouthfeel: as mentioned above, this beer has a bite to it that does not make this an easy beer to drink

Drinakbility: ditto

12 oz bottle

A: Not tremendously impressive, light brown coloration. Lacing and retention both limited.

S: Not pumpkin in the smell, too subtle for me, but otherwise smelled nicely for a macrobrewery.

T: Yurgh. Not great. Thin flavor.

M: Inconsistent feel, and thin to boot.

O: I'd avoid next time.

2.33/5  rDev -24.6%

This one poured out with a pretty nice head on it. I was skeptical to try a "pumpkin ale" but I figured why not. It had a coppery orangish hue to it. Had the slightest pumpkin smell that barely came through along with clove and nutmeg? Smelled like "fall spices" Slight hoppy taste with nothing to tell me this was a "pumpkin ale" Average mouthfeel, not too heavy and not too light. I'd probably pass if offered this again.

2.36/5  rDev -23.6%

This pumpkin ale pours a nice copper color. The head was very nice and foamy, staying for some time. Unfortunately, the smell was not of pumpkin or any other spice which I could recognize. The taste was sadly bland. Certainly a pumpkin ale which could be skipped.

2.36/5  rDev -23.6%

I was pretty disappointed with this brew. The appearance was the standard amber/brown color that I anticipated. For being a pumpkin ale there was hardly any pumpkin flavor or any of the associated flavors like clove and allspice. It wasn't evidenced in the smell either so I wasn't too surprised when I took a sip. If I wasn't told it was a pumpkin ale I never would have known... It is drinkable, just not particularly special.

2.37/5  rDev -23.3%

Pours a pretty nice caramel orange maple color, smallish head that fades rapidly. Smell is a bit of bready malt, some cinnamon, lots of metallic character. Taste is ok, a bit of lightly roasted malt, a hint of pumpkin and nutmeg, fleeting finish. MF is soda, prickly, not very impressed here. Drinkability on this one is tough--I just don't like it that much. I tend to like pumpkin ales too. Metallic smell really holds it back for me. Not a fan.

2.38/5  rDev -23%

Reviewed 10/23/2007 (bottle):

Pours an amber clear brown colored body, lighter yellow around the edges. With a dull gray head, small bubbles, quickly diminishing. Very malty, rice maybe? Odd. Not appealing. Clear, pumpkin & spices, that same odd flavor. Okay but weakish.

2.4/5  rDev -22.3%

A true ale, sans the pumpkin. It tasted like a Sam Adams, with maybe some nutmeg added to the wort in limited quantity. Was let down, this should have been more of a lambic ale, as I thought it would have been by the name. Reminded me of Bar Harbor Blueberry ale, a sub-par ale with no blueberry taste to it. Blue Moon should stick to what they do well, making hefeweissens!

2.4/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours an amber orange color with a small head. The aroma is of some pumpkin but more so of spices such as cinnamon and of nutmeg, the smell is pretty faint, not a lot going on. The taste is of spices cinnamon and a little pumpkin. The taste is watery and not very full. The mouthfeel is very carbonated and very harsh. The drinkability is okay you could drink a lot of them, but this beer was very watery and runny.

2.41/5  rDev -22%

The second Pumpkin Ale I've had in 3 days and I'd have to say the other was better (Smuttynose). Amber color to this, with a thick tan head, although that fades quickly. Faint pumpkin aroma but really there's nothing there. Tastes like many of the ingredients for a decent pumpkin pie: spices, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. It was however a little watery and bland. Now that I've tried this, I see no reason to have it again.

2.41/5  rDev -22%

Pours out orange-ish with a big white head that quickly fades but leaves a decent little cap on the glass.

Smell is where things start to go downhill. The pumpkin and spices are very faint, and they're kind of hidden underneath a big vegetal smell that isn't all that inviting. Almost like a macro with a pumpkin candy thrown in.

Flavor is similarly messy. The pumpkin is certainly there, but there's a persistent vegetable flavor that's almost like spinach that I've never had in any vegetable or fruit beer of any kind before. The flavor is just kind of weak and this off note really dominates it, but otherwise it's just like a kind of bland crummy ale.

Overall: I really like the Blue Moon White, and I went into this one really, really wanting to like it! This isn't a Coors-hating thing, but this brew was really a flavor disaster. Generally with pumpkin ales the worst-case scenario is that it's overspiced and tastes too much like pumpkin pie, but this one finds another way to mess it up. Not recommended.

2.41/5  rDev -22%

Dull copper color. Only head is a thin film. Smell of the faintest spicyness but not nearly enough to really be called a pumpkin ale. Taste gives just a trace more of a pumpkin pie flavor but it falls short of delivering any real flavor. Very thin on the mouthfeel and overcarbonated. Not impressed at all.

2.41/5  rDev -22%

A: A bright orange body with a one finger white head; brillant clarity with visible carbonation.

S: Not much pumpkin or spices, but loads of wheat dominate the nose. It's a real struggle to get any real pumpkin characteristics out of the nose, but with a few swirls it's possible.

T: Could fool me that this is a pumpkin ale. Barely any spices are noticeable, much less pumpkin. Those faint flavors are masked with loads of wheat, caramel malts, and a hint of sweetness. Overall, pretty boring.

M: Thin body; lively & crisp carbonation; watery texture.

O: Was looking for a pumpkin ale and all they had at the store was this. I would have probably been better off not getting anything. Low ABV makes it easy to drink quite a few, but as a pumpkin ale, I'll pass.

Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale from Coors Brewing Company