Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros

2.25/5  rDev -27.4%

3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

3.53/5  rDev +13.9%

[Poured into a generic beer glass]

I: I received a 6 pack of this Pumpkin Ale as a gift. Now I'll say it right now that I have never come across a beer in this style that impressed me. That said, I'm always hopeful and while BlueMoon is more like an Intro/start to the world of better beer I place no prior bias.

B: [5.7% ABV 12 FL. OZ. Bottle Date. Can't Make Out. I presume it's recent] Pretty good presentation. Back story, ingredients, inviting presentation, and nice bottle ridges along with subtle art. Labels are plentiful(3) and give more insight than your average beer. I like it, but it's nothing worth shelving and it's a twist off (eepp).

A: Amber/copper/dark orange transparent body with a scattered/bubbly head (slow dissipation), and little to no lacing.

S: Pumpkin/nutmeg spice upfront and a clean/grassy presence.

T: Orange wheat, nutmeg, pumpkin spice complimented by sweet bread/toasty malt, light hops (if any), caramel, and an earthy/floral presence.

M: Crisp/slick finish, light bodied (watery), med/high carbonation (intrusive), and apparent alcohol (light).

O: Well it was decent, the body hurts the flavor, and the carbonation can come off as intrusive at times. So while I still haven't found that wonderful pumpkin ale, I'm always happy to review and know about a brew. Though it's far from terrible I wouldn't recommend it or buy.

3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

4.18/5  rDev +34.8%

As far as pumpkin beers go, this one is off the chain. Forget what the antiquated reviewers think; I can drink a six pack to the head by my lonesome, and not feel any raunchiness towards the makers. This beer is the shit!
I won't go into the Yuppy classifications : ASTMO...if you want pretentiousness check Google. I will keep it unadulteratingly real: this beer is good-quality pumpkin. Not the best, but drinkable, and worth the money spent. I have a bigger problem with the ass-clowns trying to act like like they know what "good beer" is. Fuk 'Em! and Fuk' Em good!

2.75/5  rDev -11.3%

4.25/5  rDev +37.1%

3.13/5  rDev +1%

12oz bottle poured into a tumbler. Enjoyed at home.

A: Clear and rich burnt orange/deep rust color. There was a significant white-off-white head that quickly dissipated. Very much in keeping with the seasonal style.

S: A very spicy nose -- bold pumpkin aroma with a strong clove scent, with a tinge of sweet malt smell.

T: Strong spice flavor "on impact." The taste was more spicy and less "pumpkin-y" than the smell would have suggested. The tinge of sweetness is present throughout, until the spicy aftertaste from the clove.

M: Though it has a smooth feel, it seems to fall short by being too light. Carbonation was appropriate. In short, nothing outstanding in this area.

O: A good, if unremarkable, seasonal beer. Certainly a solid choice to serve at an autumn gathering, though drinkability suffers somewhat on account of the spicy aftertaste. It seems to lack some of the complexity in flavor that makes other seasonal brews so enjoyable, while the flavors that do emerge can tend to be overpowering, particularly in the aftertaste. I wouldn't refuse one of these beers if handed to me, but given a cooler full of options I might dig around in the ice for a while before grabbing one of these.

2.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Reddish copper color with a beige head that was about two fingers thick, no lacing.

Smell: I could smell just that fake pumpkin smell, like the pumpkin pie concentrate out of a can.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Medium bodied. Taste like a freezer pre made pumpkin pie with some malts and hops added.

Overall: Not really impressed, this was simply just a "seasonal" flavor added to a Coors like all of the other Blue Moon beers, at least thats what I think. I really want to like the Blue Moon brews, I think they need to be more origanal with their brews and it might be better.

Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale from Coors Brewing Company