Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros

codynevels, Nov 16, 2011

videofrog, Nov 14, 2011

AlexM, Nov 14, 2011

TEAMHOLT, Nov 14, 2011
2.28/5  rDev -26.5%

A: It has a dark shade of amber, similar to how whiskey would look. It is brilliantly clear, and light refracts nicely through the beer. The head is very thin, and dissipates quickly leaving behind very little actual head. There is not much lacing to be had, except for what sticks to the ring surrounding the glass at the edge of the meniscus.

S: There isn't much scent to this at all. It has a slight malt-like scent that you'd get from an amber ale or a brown ale. I pick up some very slight hop scents but it's far too mellow to even try to identify. I pick up no pumpkin or spice scents. I'm not impressed at all by the smell.

T: I do pick up some pumpkin flavors, but it's so light that I hesitate to even say that I'm positive there's even pumpkin in this. I pick up that odd starchy aftertaste that pumpkin always leaves, but there's none of the bold up-front flavor. There is not spice flavor like you'd get out of other pumpkin beers. It's about average for a regular beer, but I can't score it average for a pumpkin beer.

M: The mouthfeel is about average. It has a light effervescence with a light to medium mouthfeel.

O: Overall I can't even score this average, because unfortunately it does not rank with average beers. It's not bad as a beer individually, and would be good as a midway between a light lager and something like a brown ale. Unfortunately it does not stack up if a person is looking for a pumpkin beer.

teromous, Nov 08, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -2.3%

Big thanks goes out to one of my buddies from college for this tick! Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured red-orange with a two finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, pumpkin, clove, and cinnamon. The flavor was of sweet malt, pumpkin, cinnamon, wheat, and nutmeg. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was an average brew. You can tell what they were going for with this one based on the aroma and flavor here. However, they just seemed to fall a little short for my liking. While the flavors were okay in this one, they just seemed a little diluted. Also, the nutmeg aspect I got in this one was definitely not needed at all and might have helped this brew out if it were not present. Glad I got to tick it for free as I wouldn't have been happy had I bought it.

thagr81us, Nov 08, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -20%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Fridge cleaning...woo...

A- pours dark amber with a one finger white head that quickly fades and leaves no lacing. TONS of bubbles.

S- mild aroma of pumpkin, and sweet malts. Very minimal

T- I get a very, very, very vague taste of pumpkins...getting some sweet malts as well. No real spice factor at all. Tastes more like a festbier

M- medium bodied. Just kind of there

O- so many better options on the market if you're looking for a pumpkin beer, or an Octoberfest. This is just kinda there

bigfnjoe, Nov 06, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -7.1%

I got a 12-pack as a birthday gift so this is my first Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale. Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into a Duvel Belgian Tulip glass.

Appearance: A fairly aggressive bottle pour resulted in maybe a 1/4" off-white head then dissipated to a thin, spotty ring around the inside of my glass within a minute. Murky amber color with decent bubbly lacing when the glass is tilted.

Smell: I barely detect some mild fall spices and sweetness. Not much of a nose to it all. A little disappointed, as I enjoy the aromas of a good pumpkin beer.

Taste: Very mild spices and some sweetness is all I'm getting. Nutmeg, clove, malt and maybe a little cinnamon. I'm not sensing any pumpkin at all, which is sad to say since it's suppose to be a pumpkin ale.

Mouthfeel: Moderate in body with a creamy carbonated texture on the tongue. I think the mouthfeel may be the best part of this beer and that's nothing to brag about.

Overall: I'm glad I didn't spend my own money on this. I really enjoy the different take brewers have with pumpkin ale. As noted above, I'm a little disappointed with this version. It's an easy drinking beer if you can do without flavor. Since I enjoy "flavor" in my pumpkin beer, I'll stick to Dogfish Head, Weyerbacher or Smuttynose versions when I'm looking for solid rendition of the style. With that said, I'll have to serve the remaining beers to guests who don't know the difference between a really good and not so good pumpkin ale.

cmq103, Nov 04, 2011
1.27/5  rDev -59%

Appearance - A watery pumpkin orange color. A bit of sunrise amber that is transparent.

Smell - Not much going on here. A bit of vine and faint, light pumpkin spice. Not so impressive.

Taste - Terribly awful. Painfully plain. A light, carbonated and fizzy vine-like taste.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - Light-bodied and plain. I don't get much pumpkin taste in this at all. A boring mess from Coors. This pretty much just tastes like Coors Light with a bit of vegetable and vine. Nothing special.

Jesse13713, Nov 03, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours an attractive reddish amber, opaque with a chilled haze, forming a fluffy, wispy head. It smells of ripe pumpkin bread, slightly sour and funky, like the bread had gotten wet and was sitting out for some time. The flavors veer from the nose, with earthy yeast and non-descript ripe fruit creating the flavor profile. Caramellly malts are prominent, giving the beer a bready complexion. Pumpkin is in there, but just a touch, along with a smige of nutmeg or holiday spice. Hops aren't contributing much to this one. Finishes dry and slightly astringent.

Fairly easy to drink but unremarkable, this is more of a Belgian wit with touch of pumpkin spice, and doesn't stand up to some of the full-flavored pumpkin ales that are popular this time of year.

rand, Oct 31, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +15.5%

Giving this fall offering a try this year and somewhat interested.
A: I do like the color and did pour a nice head. It does have alot of carbonation.
S : Most places serve this beer way too cold and as it warms this aromas do appear. Some spice and some good malt, maybe a little pumpkin.
T : This is a smooth beer with sweet spice and malt flavor.
M : A medium mouthfeel with alot of carbonation. Let's say a alright finish and makes me want to have another sip.
O : Not bad from the Blue Moon lineup. A nice beer to try for who likes the macro brewers. Better than the original Blue Moon wheat ... maybe because its fall .

carolinahophead, Oct 31, 2011