Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros

2.28/5  rDev -26.5%

A: It has a dark shade of amber, similar to how whiskey would look. It is brilliantly clear, and light refracts nicely through the beer. The head is very thin, and dissipates quickly leaving behind very little actual head. There is not much lacing to be had, except for what sticks to the ring surrounding the glass at the edge of the meniscus.

S: There isn't much scent to this at all. It has a slight malt-like scent that you'd get from an amber ale or a brown ale. I pick up some very slight hop scents but it's far too mellow to even try to identify. I pick up no pumpkin or spice scents. I'm not impressed at all by the smell.

T: I do pick up some pumpkin flavors, but it's so light that I hesitate to even say that I'm positive there's even pumpkin in this. I pick up that odd starchy aftertaste that pumpkin always leaves, but there's none of the bold up-front flavor. There is not spice flavor like you'd get out of other pumpkin beers. It's about average for a regular beer, but I can't score it average for a pumpkin beer.

M: The mouthfeel is about average. It has a light effervescence with a light to medium mouthfeel.

O: Overall I can't even score this average, because unfortunately it does not rank with average beers. It's not bad as a beer individually, and would be good as a midway between a light lager and something like a brown ale. Unfortunately it does not stack up if a person is looking for a pumpkin beer.

3.03/5  rDev -2.3%

Big thanks goes out to one of my buddies from college for this tick! Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured red-orange with a two finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, pumpkin, clove, and cinnamon. The flavor was of sweet malt, pumpkin, cinnamon, wheat, and nutmeg. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was an average brew. You can tell what they were going for with this one based on the aroma and flavor here. However, they just seemed to fall a little short for my liking. While the flavors were okay in this one, they just seemed a little diluted. Also, the nutmeg aspect I got in this one was definitely not needed at all and might have helped this brew out if it were not present. Glad I got to tick it for free as I wouldn't have been happy had I bought it.

2.48/5  rDev -20%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Fridge cleaning...woo...

A- pours dark amber with a one finger white head that quickly fades and leaves no lacing. TONS of bubbles.

S- mild aroma of pumpkin, and sweet malts. Very minimal

T- I get a very, very, very vague taste of pumpkins...getting some sweet malts as well. No real spice factor at all. Tastes more like a festbier

M- medium bodied. Just kind of there

O- so many better options on the market if you're looking for a pumpkin beer, or an Octoberfest. This is just kinda there

2.88/5  rDev -7.1%

I got a 12-pack as a birthday gift so this is my first Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale. Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into a Duvel Belgian Tulip glass.

Appearance: A fairly aggressive bottle pour resulted in maybe a 1/4" off-white head then dissipated to a thin, spotty ring around the inside of my glass within a minute. Murky amber color with decent bubbly lacing when the glass is tilted.

Smell: I barely detect some mild fall spices and sweetness. Not much of a nose to it all. A little disappointed, as I enjoy the aromas of a good pumpkin beer.

Taste: Very mild spices and some sweetness is all I'm getting. Nutmeg, clove, malt and maybe a little cinnamon. I'm not sensing any pumpkin at all, which is sad to say since it's suppose to be a pumpkin ale.

Mouthfeel: Moderate in body with a creamy carbonated texture on the tongue. I think the mouthfeel may be the best part of this beer and that's nothing to brag about.

Overall: I'm glad I didn't spend my own money on this. I really enjoy the different take brewers have with pumpkin ale. As noted above, I'm a little disappointed with this version. It's an easy drinking beer if you can do without flavor. Since I enjoy "flavor" in my pumpkin beer, I'll stick to Dogfish Head, Weyerbacher or Smuttynose versions when I'm looking for solid rendition of the style. With that said, I'll have to serve the remaining beers to guests who don't know the difference between a really good and not so good pumpkin ale.

1.27/5  rDev -59%

Appearance - A watery pumpkin orange color. A bit of sunrise amber that is transparent.

Smell - Not much going on here. A bit of vine and faint, light pumpkin spice. Not so impressive.

Taste - Terribly awful. Painfully plain. A light, carbonated and fizzy vine-like taste.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - Light-bodied and plain. I don't get much pumpkin taste in this at all. A boring mess from Coors. This pretty much just tastes like Coors Light with a bit of vegetable and vine. Nothing special.

2.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours an attractive reddish amber, opaque with a chilled haze, forming a fluffy, wispy head. It smells of ripe pumpkin bread, slightly sour and funky, like the bread had gotten wet and was sitting out for some time. The flavors veer from the nose, with earthy yeast and non-descript ripe fruit creating the flavor profile. Caramellly malts are prominent, giving the beer a bready complexion. Pumpkin is in there, but just a touch, along with a smige of nutmeg or holiday spice. Hops aren't contributing much to this one. Finishes dry and slightly astringent.

Fairly easy to drink but unremarkable, this is more of a Belgian wit with touch of pumpkin spice, and doesn't stand up to some of the full-flavored pumpkin ales that are popular this time of year.

3.58/5  rDev +15.5%

Giving this fall offering a try this year and somewhat interested.
A: I do like the color and did pour a nice head. It does have alot of carbonation.
S : Most places serve this beer way too cold and as it warms this aromas do appear. Some spice and some good malt, maybe a little pumpkin.
T : This is a smooth beer with sweet spice and malt flavor.
M : A medium mouthfeel with alot of carbonation. Let's say a alright finish and makes me want to have another sip.
O : Not bad from the Blue Moon lineup. A nice beer to try for who likes the macro brewers. Better than the original Blue Moon wheat ... maybe because its fall .

Poured from a long neck brown 12 oz. bottle into a standard clear pint glass.

Appearance: Clear deep amber with a one and a half finger tan foam head that faded fast and left minimal lacing.

Smell: Malty and a little spice, some hops underneath. Nothing very different than a standard American amber ale.

Taste: Much like it smells, tastes more like a very average amber ale. I was expecting more pumpkin and spice from this one, but it just wasn't there.

Mouth Feel: Medium bodied and heavily carbonated.

Overall: They really need to amp up the flavors in this one. As it is, it's very unremarkable and not a very good representation of a seasonal pumpkin ale.

2.3/5  rDev -25.8%

12 oz bottle

A: Not tremendously impressive, light brown coloration. Lacing and retention both limited.

S: Not pumpkin in the smell, too subtle for me, but otherwise smelled nicely for a macrobrewery.

T: Yurgh. Not great. Thin flavor.

M: Inconsistent feel, and thin to boot.

O: I'd avoid next time.

3.15/5  rDev +1.6%

A - Pour is orange with visible carbonation. Clear and with a quickly dissipating foam.

S - Not much here. Slight smell of cinnamon but that's it.

T - Decent. Some pumpkin flavor and some clove and nutmeg spice.

M - Carbonation is a bit high and kinda ruined this one. But it is quite drinkable if you can look past this.

O - Average. Nothing great but it is as good as any standread pumpkimn beer.

3.43/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a clear copper orange with a 1 inch fizzy bone colored head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. Thin streaks of lace drip back down into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of malt, pumpkin puree, and some subdued pumpkin pie spices. Taste is exactly the same as the smell but the spices are more assertive here. This beer has a very high level of carbonation with a crisp and prickly mouthfeel. A bit too much carbonation in my opinion. Overall, this is actually a pretty good pumpkin ale. I wasn't expecting very much and for what it is I was impressed.

1.02/5  rDev -67.1%

Best by 27FEB12

A: brownish with no head formation and excellent clarity. Spackled surface bubbles with no lace.
S: Cardboard. Thats it. I am really getting nothing else here.
T: Wow, first drain pour in quite some time. Really awful. Tastes like plastic and cardboard. Fetid.
M: thin with hi carbonation.
O: This beer is horrid, I would recommend this to not one person. Not even my worst enemy.

2.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: Pours a perfectly clear copper color with about 3/4" of white head. Lacing is decent, retention is non-existent. Not bad.

Smell: Wheaty malts are most prevalent up front. A touch of spice (mainly nutmeg). Not really much else. Smells like a lightly spiced wheat beer.

Taste: Pumpkin and spice flavor is slightly more prevalent on the palate than on the nose. Wheat malts are again probably the flavor that stands out the most. Not bad, but not good either.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Light bodied, moderate carbonation. Not the smoothest drinking beer, even when it warms. Overall, a very average pumpkin beer. Nothing insulting about it, but just plain.

2.95/5  rDev -4.8%

12oz bottle
Served in a pint glass

A - It pours burnt orange in color. It is clear and has a couple inches of tan head.

S - It's not big on the nose. I get molasses and some weak spices.

T - I get some caramel malt along with some sweetness. Not much pumpkin flavor.

M - Watery and thin.

O - About as expected. A buddy get this to me to try. Glad I didn't buy a sixer.

2.93/5  rDev -5.5%

A-pours a transparent amber with an off white head with much better retention than I was expecting. Actually a pretty nice looking beer
S-Extremely light pumpkin aroma with a faint nut presence and low hop aroma
T-Again the pumpkin is pretty faint but there is also some sweet malt and spice
M-light-medium bodied
O-not a great pumpkin ale but acceptable for the price and for being a macro brews shot at a micro brew. Wouldn't seek it out again but tip of the cap to coors for trying.

2.98/5  rDev -3.9%

I have drank this one over the years and thought it was a great offering for the season. Now that I have "seen the light" its just an average brew. Not tasting much of the pumpkin that I had anticipated. It has a great color and good carbonation and is a great session type beer BUT has a hight ABV of 5.7%. That was a nice surprise for a lower price six pack.

2.78/5  rDev -10.3%

Into a tulip.

Cherry-orange and brilliantly transparent. Pretty beautiful color, actually. The airy, fizzy head gets about two fingers tall before popping away to a thick, sticky top layer.

The pumpkin in the nose reminds me of baby food. No other way to put it. Wheat and almond notes are also there before clove shows up.

The flavor is comparatively light. There might be the nutty almond and the slightest hint of pumpkin in there, but mostly it’s just sharp graininess. A touch of sweetness with a clean finish.

Carbonation is mild and pinching in a silky medium-light body.

There’s not much to Blue Moon’s pumpkin ale, which is about what I expected. Easily quaffed, but as flavor goes, it’s in the bottom tier of pumpkin brews.

2.42/5  rDev -21.9%

orange with a smallish head that had decent retention. Smell was watery, as was the taste, reminds me of regular blue moon with some attempt at pumpkin spices. This is certainly not a pumpkin ale for craft beer geeks. I really can't think of any reason to ever drink this again unless the last two choices in the world are between blue moon and blue moon pumpkin.

Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale from Coors Brewing Company