Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

LET IT WARM A LITTLE, TO BE FAIR. Big difference, seriously. Unfortunately, the typical Macro flavor lingers at times. It's unfortunate that Coors couldn't break its habits and avoid that, on this one.

A= orange-amber, pours with some foamy head and settles into nice rimming and pooling.

S= mild but some nice malts, some cooked pumpkin, some hops florals, not much if anything in the spice area.

T= slightly thick and malty, some pumpkin like the canned version, modest bitters, slight hops floral notes.

M= lightly tart, with residual malts and pumpkin.

D= fine, not sure what it would go with food-wise, maybe just nice to enjoy a few as a beverage. Hmmm how about with some pumpkin pie? lol

therica, Oct 10, 2010
3.35/5  rDev +8.1%

It's October and the time of Octoberfest beers and pumpkin beers. The word pumpkin sucked me in. Oh I know it's a macro, that's ok, let's give it a whirl. Popping the top the mist is a sweet corny macro smell, but with nice hints of cinnamon and spice and everything nice. Pours into a biergarten mug, nice pumpkin bronze with a foamy pillow top head. Out of the mug, an additional noticeable smell is nutmeg. Taste is sweet and tart, some bitterness but the maltiness stands out more than any hopping. The spices are also very evident, nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice. Mouthfeel is good carbonation might be a little high but is acceptable. Aftertaste is flatly bitter with lingering spices. This is a decent beer, it has the corny macro twang but aside from that it is quite drinkable.

mooseisloose, Oct 09, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +6.5%

12 oz bottle poured in pint glass.

A - Pours with a 1 finger off-white head. Clear copper color.

S - Pumpkin and malt. Spices are pretty faint.

T - Faint pumpkin taste but I'm disappointed with the lack of spices and a solid flavor backbone. Has a certain sweetness to it which is nice.

M - Light to Medium body. High carbonation.

D - the lack of flavor makes this a very drinkable beer. I keep going back for another sip in hopes of discovering some hidden flavor but it's just not there. Still very drinkable.

FredTheSeal, Oct 08, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -6.5%

A: Copper color with small white head that fades almost immediately and leaves no lacing on the glass.

S: Light grain and husks. Faint hints of pumpkin and spice. Very light aroma.

T: Very bland for a pumpkin ale. Light grainy flavor with hints of carmel, spice, and faint pumpkin.

M: Light bodied and watery.

D: This is weak attempt at a pumpkin ale. Bland with no character, I'll pass on this one next time. There are far better pumpkin ales out there.

JMD, Oct 07, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured in a Mason Jar

Appearance: Amber and Orangish color. Semi-think foam head.

Smell: Overall decent. Subtle hint of pumpkin.

Taste: Tastes like Coors with a hint of pumpkin and spice. Nothing spectacular.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly watery.

Drinkability: The first few were good, but I got tired of drinking this real quick.

Summary:
This Ale is probably best suited for mainstream beer drinkers who want a slight change from the norm.

jj311, Oct 05, 2010
3.13/5  rDev +1%

Served in a glass.

A: Has an amber-orangish color. Pours with a thick head that disappates very slowly. It is clear. Slight carbonation visible. Looks pleasant in color but overall not very impressive.

S: Very slight skunky smell mixed with pumpkin. Might sound like a bad combo for smell, but it actually smells subtly decent.

T: Not that good. The ingredients (vine-ripened pumpkin, cloves, allspice, and nutmeg) would seem to make for a great tasting amber ale but one can actually "taste the skunky smell" which spoils the overall flavor. For a pumpkin-flavored ale I would expect more pumpkin taste. A rich pumpkin taste would be preferable to me but the "skunky" element overpowers the pumpkin flavor.

M: Light and smooth. Some carbonation but not a lot.

D: Goes down pretty easy. I could drink another but it is not pleasing enough to the palate to have more than one.

echoes, Oct 05, 2010
3.28/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Pours a clear, fizzy pumpkin orange bordering on amber with about a finger of white head which dissipates rather quickly.

S: Mostly metallic, some faint yeasts and sweetness.

T: Somewhat yeasty sweet malts, a bit of medicinal hops, rounded out by a pumpkin creaminess and sweetness, diacetyls, and a bit of pumpkin spice.

M: Medium carbonation, somewhat lighter body.

D: One of the more palatable beers I've ever tried from coors, but this by no means is a stellar pumpkin ale.

thekanna, Oct 05, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -22.6%

Really? What is this? It should be illegal to call this pumpkin. I think a better name is bitter ale. The mouthfeel is one of the best things about it, and even that's no good. The aftertaste is comparable to when you drink orange juice after brushing your teeth.

I like Blue Moon's beers. Not Coors so much, but the Blue Moon brand has been solid. So I was psyched to pick up a pumpkin ale from them. I was disappointed from the first sip and my girlfriend agreed.

The color is a good ale color, the head is just right, but it's just so bitter. I really can't find anything else good to say about it.

kneeland, Oct 03, 2010
1.68/5  rDev -45.8%

Pretty much what I expect from the folks who bring us coors light.

A- Looks like a copper beer. Really clear, perhaps too clear. Really thin, which is inapropriate for the style.

S- Almost none what so ever. This style is famous for smelling like pie, lots of sweet and spice and bread. This almost doesn't even smell like beer.

T- Right on par with the smell. The only discernable taste is a coppery metalic taste like oxygenation/stale quallity. Doesn't even taste like beer. At least cheap lite beer taste like beer, this was almost like drinking soapy water.

M- Watery. Again this style is supposed to be rich and full, but this one was probably thinner than water.

D- not drinkable. Very lame even for a blue moon.

knoxtennessee, Oct 02, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

I know full well this is Coors, but even still, I honestly have to say that I was expecting more from this. I like Blue Moon for what it is, I was expecting a solid drinkable beer here.

Pours into a Sam Adams glass. Head's a little too fizzy-like-a-soft-drink. Nice amber color though.

Generic aroma, and I swear that if I take deep enough whiffs, I detect a little ammonia and soap. I swear I rinsed my glass out well! Some caramel maltiness, but not enough to save it.

Fail. This fails as a pumpkin ale. I don't get much pumpkin or spice at all. It's more of an amber ale, and not a very good amber ale at that. I get some squashy taste at the back end, that's about it, but not well defined at all.

Bubbly, fizzy mouthfeel, but really not too bad on this score. Fizzy but not overly fizzed out.

Easy to drink, if I'm comparing it to a 12% barleywine, but against others in this class, it doesn't stack up. I actually did think I would like this better than I do - I didn't try this just to bash Coors.

Patrick999, Oct 01, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -19.4%

Very below average. Pours a reddish brown with a thin light tan head that dissipates fairly quickly and leaves no lacing behind. Aroma is extremely light. Little bit of wheat, but pretty bland wheat. No accompanying characteristics, and no pumpkin whatsoever.

Taste is also very very thin. No pumpkin whatsoever. Actually made me re-read the label to make sure it was supposed to be a pumpkin ale. Basically tasted like blue moon to me. You could have taken blue moon, but some brown dye in it, and given it to me and I don't think I'd notice the difference, althoug hI haven't had a blue moon in a long time.

HURTemHIZZY, Oct 01, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Great rusty color but little head and no lacing.

S: Caramel and pumpkin aromas dominate accompanied by some light grains and a slight whiff of alcohol. Good but nothing too exciting.

T: Nice pumpkin cereal flavor. Skews more towards actual pumpkin than pumpkin pie spices. The aftertaste is soapy and unpleasant.

M: A little too tingly from carbonation but ok overall.

D: Smooth and easy drinking. Only hampered by excessive bubbliness.

BeefyMee, Sep 30, 2010
1.65/5  rDev -46.8%

Out of the fridge for about 15 mins. Drink on a moderatly hot october afternoon.

A- zero head from an aggresive pour. High carbonation with dar orange hue. Very unimpressive look to this beer.

S- Upon crack the bottle open I realized the nose is weak on this beer. Funky adjunct smell. Not like a bud or a coors, but the same destestable oder I encountered upon drinking simple times pilsner. The worst smell I could imagine in a beer. Very faint red apple with just a splice of pumpkin. Smells like a funky apple cider.

T- Carbonated apple juice. Not really getting any all spice or pumpkin at all. Very watery and simple, but not in a endearing way.

M- Like fermented drinking apple cut with club soda. Odd to say the least and not something I want to revisit.

D- Aweful. Close to a drain pour.

A waste of money. Had buffalo bills the other day and that is a fine example of a pumpkin brew. Coors drops the ball once again.

dcook11, Sep 29, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Orange amber with tan foamy medium head with decent retention and no lacing. Light pumpkin and amber aromas. Pretty balanced pumpkin and amber flavors although tipping slightly to the amber side by the end but a good, slightly dry pumpkin finish. Light spice flavors punctuate occasionally. Sharp carbonation with a bit of a bite.

Not big on the pumpkin flavors but an easy drinking beer if you're looking for a pumpkin amber for a change of pace or for a non beer drinker that needs something different.

Bfarr, Sep 29, 2010
1.98/5  rDev -36.1%

OK, it is that time of year, and the local brewpub always has its pumpkin ale, of which I am a big fan. So I had high hopes for the Harvest Moon

Pint pour and little to no head. Color of the beer is a light copper and clear.

Not a lot of smell, was expecting more for a "spiced" beer.

Tastes light and has an aftertaste. I suspect that some people will like this, maybe I was just expecting something special.

light almost like a home brew before carbonation.

I would say this was more for the mass market, than for someone who likes micro beers.

Regretting that I bought a full six pack. They will make nice halloween gifts to stressed out parents on Halloween night.

CheckmateBrew, Sep 27, 2010
2.55/5  rDev -17.7%

Second beer I'm trying as a leftover from MaddHopper's Oktoberfest. I enjoyed Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head, and I'm eager to try this, since I'm a fan of Blue Moon.

Poured into a standard pint glass. Pours to a small head, which dissipates quickly. Label is apparently exciting to a corporate board. I find it sorta cliche, which is too bad... Color of the beer is copper-orange-light brown.

Had to work to get any smell off the beer. Not much going on.

Tastes strongly of pumpkin, which some spice in the background. It's got a nice mellowness to the flavor, but the pumpkin aftertaste is overpowering and not good. This is tough to rate because of the good aspects are very good, and the bad very bad, with little middle ground.

For mouthfeel, it could use a little more carbonation. It tastes almost (but not quite) flat.

Drinkability is okay, but not high. The real problem is that pumpkin aftertaste. Just a little less pumpkin would be great.

Kooz, Sep 26, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours orange with a foamy off-white head that turns to nothing. No lace. Bright, with some carbonation.

Toffee and caramel, and some toasted malt. Pumpkin? Really?

This is not pumpkin beer. No pumpkin, not even any pie spice. I thought this was a bad octoberfest. Sweet flavors of caramel with some light toasted bread and mild bitterness. Weak, but not unpleasant.

Decent carbonation, medium body.

Not horrific, but not very flavorful. Needs more than toasted sugar and lightly burnt malt to get by. I didn't hate this, but won't go here again.

OtherShoe2, Sep 26, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -11.9%

bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A: Very clear, thin orange ruby. Hardly any head, whats there is thin.

S: Smells like an amber, light malty nose. Not picking up any pumpkin, just a very light non specific spice.

T: Very light on flavor. I taste malt -no distinguished flavors. A light pleasant sweetness can be found closer to room temp in the finish.

M: Creamy, smooth, no pop.

D: After opening up a bit, coming to a more warmer temp, all spice is present, but nothing else stands out for me.

This can be a easy seasonall for the price. I would buy another 6 pack of this just to have around cause im a sucker for seasonal brews that are easy drinkers (hello, 10AM football sundays!)
It's not a pumpkin brew if that is what you are expecting.

coastiefish, Sep 24, 2010
1.6/5  rDev -48.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Sight - amber, 1 inch of white head

Smell - spicy, acetone, wet cardboard

Taste - watery, some spice, fruity

Sweet - 3/5

Bitter - 1/5

Goodness me this is boring stuff. Bland, undertoned and quite simply insipid. If this is the best large brewery in America, then God help us.

velkyal, Sep 20, 2010

Appearance - Pours into my SA Perfect Pint with a copper color and about a finger of tan colored head that dissipates at a moderate pace.

Smell - Slight pumpkin spices, malt/caramel backbone. Not much else.

Taste - Similar to the nose...slightly underwhelmed but for what it is, and from what brewery it comes from, it isn't bad. Granted after having a DFH Punkin before this it this does seem very underwhelming.

Mouthfeel - Medium to lighter bodied, decent carbonation.

Drinkability - I normally can only have one of these...two tops, and then I'm done. A decent pumpkin beer but if DFH Punkin was available I would most certainly get that over this (of course).

SpdKilz, Sep 20, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -7.1%

Saw this at the Party Source in Bellevue, KY and thought to myself with a chuckle: "Why not?" Review is from notes taken on 9/19/2010 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a pretty standard coppery color and it starts with a creamy off-white two finger head that fades to a thin, but full and even cap; body is pretty clear and shows plenty of carbonation.

Smell: Not much to report here -- a bit of some wet graininess and a very, very faint hint of pumpkin spices.

Taste: Actually, it's not too bad, but I don't feel that it really fits the bill of a pumpkin ale since I really don't pick up anything other than a very faint hint of pumpkin pie spices -- this beer holds a lot more tall, wet graininess, a bit of barley and a smooth and sweet maltiness; bit of a banana smoothness to it, strangely enough; like I said, not awful, but not a pumpkin ale in my estimation.

Mouthfeel: Body is moderately light and the carbonation is quite strong and prickly, near sharp; a very thin semi-dry sticky coating is left all over the palate and it holds the nice sweet maltiness in the aftertaste with just a hint of the graininess.

Drinkability: You could definitely drink this beer, and several would be no problem. However, if you're looking for a pumpkin ale, I stress, do not buy this beer; but if you're looking for a fair beer for a cool fall night with some decent flavors that is within a pretty cheap price range, this could be your beer.

bamadog, Sep 19, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -1.6%

Here in Chicago summer rapidly transitions into fall, so before I know it autumn seasonals and pumpkin ales from my go-to breweries are filling the isles of my favorite neighborhood craft brew stores. The crisp air has had me craving a good pumpkin ale - particularly the Dogfish Head Punkin Ale I have read so much about and cannot find in my area - so I picked up a six-pack of Blue Moon's Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale hoping to satisfy my thirst for a solid fall themed brew.

A - The color is a rich, yet translucent copper-orange with a small, cream-colored head that recedes rather quickly.

S - Yeasty with a very faint spice aroma. If it were not for the label I would have no idea there was pumpkin in it.

T - Mild and not very impressive at first. The pumpkin and other spice flavorings were very subdued and, surprisingly, the alcohol in this 5.70% ABV craft brew came through in the taste a little more than expected. Despite being underwhelmed by my first half of the beer, I wanted to give it a chance. I broke into my second bottle and was much more pleased with the developed, slightly sweet taste and faint malty finish.

M - Blue Moon describes this brew as being "full-bodied," but I found it to be anything but. Harvest Moon has a medium carbonation and is a bit too light and watery for my taste. Honestly, there isn't much going on.

D - Compared to other Blue Moon brews, this pumpkin ale falls a bit short. I found Harvest Moon to be mediocre as far as craft beers go and wouldn't recommend it if you're looking to sit down and enjoy a true pumpkin ale. However, this light autumn seasonal is still very drinkable and would be nice to sip on while you're grilling out with your mates in the crisp fall weather.

littlebomb, Sep 19, 2010
2.55/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance has less then a fingers worth of white head with little or no retention the color is a nice orange amber color

Smell is nothing special it has no distinctive aromas of the spices or flavors it claims it has in it a little dissapointed with this smell of this fall beer

Taste is light and weak and no real value of spices or pumpkin malted flaovers are the major taste of this beer

The mouthfeel is light and not all tat smooth less/than average

This was a dissapointment from a fall seasonal style beer and the light favors really bring down the drinkablity of this beer

huxcrunner, Sep 18, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -2.3%

Has nice copper colored body, and is cleanly filtered. The head is about a finger thick, and is white in color... Not much retention, but decent lacing.

The aroma is a little on the fleshy pumpkin side, however, not much in the way of spices used in pie like most other pumpkin ales I've had.

In the taste, the pumpkin pie does not really make it there either. There may be a slight hint of pumpkin, but it really tastes more like a typical American Red Ale, or something of that nature.

The mouthfeel is a little thin for a beer of this ABV, and not very tasty. Still, it's a good beer for the typical light lager crowd to try and feel different.

TheSarge, Sep 17, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Red, amber and orange appearance, head diminishes almost instantly. Aroma was pumpkin & solvent.

An initial big relative alcohol feel, but that does eventually recede and allow the small amount of pumpkin (in a good way) to accomodate the taste buds. The beer does get better as it goes. No hops, no bitterness, very small malt bill, more like warming instead of roasting, I think the color comes from the pumpkin, not the grain.

A good spice feel comes on halfway down. Palate just had to get used to (I don't know how to spell acclimated prolly). Don't drain pour this, it gets better.

Beerandraiderfan, Sep 17, 2010