Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
3.27/5  rDev +5.5%

I love pumpkin ales so when I saw this pumpkin ale from thebluemoon folks I had to try it. I was skeptical because I have had other seasonals from coors/blue moon and I wasn't very impressed. This one is right in line with their others.... Not bad but nothing very special. The overall look of this beer is awesome. I love the deep orange/copper color... But I feel like it comes up short beyond that. The smell is slight, the taste is slight over all it's nothing to get very excited about. I would try and break the taste and smell down more but there is so little going on it's hardly worth talkin about. Other pumpkin ales are an intense blend of autum spices... This is lacking.

1.69/5  rDev -45.5%

A - A nice brown orange color with a quickly fading white head and some tiny bubbles.

S - Not a lot of smell, but there is a bit of pumpkin spice and malt.

T - Not a lot of flavor, but what is there is bad. There is a light pumpkin and spice taste that just doesn't taste right to me and maybe a bit of malt in the background.

M - Light body, watery, with light to medium carbonation.

O - I like pumpkin beers but this one was just bad, blue moon usually has decent beers, but I would not recommend this one.

4.05/5  rDev +30.6%

Another find in my cellar. Tomorrow is Christmas in July at Iron Hill, so why not a prelude Hallowe'en/Thanksgiving beer today?

From the bottle: "This amber-colored, naturally flavored ale is only brewed in the autumn and combines the flavor of vine-ripened pumpkin & spices with traditional crystal malt."; "With its clove, nutmeg and allspice flavors, this amber-colored ale is perfect for fall's crisp, clear days. Serve this hearty brew with all of your autumn meals."

It looks to have held up quite well! I got a dense finger of tawny head with great retention in the heat from my pour. Color was an orangish-amber with NE-quality clarity. The spices really carried the day on the nose. I got clove immediately and I am not sure that I can discern between nutmeg and allspice, but there was more than just clove in there. Mouthfeel was medium to full and the spices had mellowed into a melange of spice, almost cinnamon-like, but quite nice. Finish was dry and refreshing, very welcome on this humid afternoon. I recommend drinking any you may have still around so that you can load up on the fresh stuff in a few months.

2.85/5  rDev -8.1%

About an average beer. I had high expectations because I am a blue moon fan but, wasn't as great as I thought it would be. Better than the cheap beer but the price may steer some people away. This beer pours out as a brownish color, a little darker than expected. I would recommend people to give it a shot but not one I will get too often. The smell was spicy, with a cinnamon aroma.

2.95/5  rDev -4.8%

This beer pours out as a brownish color, a little darker than expected. The head was white a fluffy a first. The lacing wasn't the best but decent. The smell was spicy, with some cinnamon and nutmeg. The taste was a little puzzling to me, It almost tasted like pumpkin but I think the spices kind of collided and didn't really work well together for some reason. The mouthfeel was pretty light and not overly carbonated. Overall It's not my favorite Pumpkin Ale.

3.73/5  rDev +20.3%

Now first off I'll say that I'm partial to Pumpkin Ales and have tried over 6 just this season. So on that note I'm judging this Pumpkin ale against all beers not just other pumpkin ales.

It's a relatively light beer and has hints of cinnamon and pumpkin but has a lot less spice and pumpkin pie like flavor than most of the pumpkin ales I have had. Regardless this beer is very good during Fall and I would recommend giving it a shot if you have the opportunity.

3.16/5  rDev +1.9%

Yet another review from old notes.

A: The pour is copper in color with about two fingers of off-white head.

S: First thing I seem to notice is a lack of pumpkin aroma here. Not only that, but it seems to be lacking in terms of the usual pumpkin pie spices as well. Some mild sweetness of caramel and toffee, and some toasted malt and grain.

T: The flavor is moderately sweet with just a hint of bitterness. I don't get much pumpkin or pie spice on the flavor either, maybe just a touch of nutmeg. Slight caramel and toffee with a decent breadiness.

M: Medium in body with a moderate carbonation.

O: Definitely one of the weaker pumpkin ales, but I guess I wasn't terribly surprised.

3.12/5  rDev +0.6%

From fall brew tasting notes (2010): Pours a clear copper color with a thin head. Decent head retention and lacing. Aroma is toasted grain, caramel and light spicy notes. The taste is faint spice notes, toasted grain, caramel and a faint metallic note. Thin and slightly watery. Very strong carbonation. Not very good.

3.08/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured into a tulip. The beer has a nice dark orange bronze color. The head of the beer is off-white to tan. Surprisingly it stuck around for a few minutes. There seems to be some patchy lacing as well. Mild spices and caramel malts with some earth like undertones. All in all a pretty toned down aroma. Not to heavy on flavor. Mainly just some faint spices a weak caramel and toffee notes. Mouth feel isn't bad though. Medium bodied, smooth, medium carbonation. At least that was does ok. As far as drinkability goes this average at best. Its drinkable but I could see myself getting bored fast.

2.71/5  rDev -12.6%

Appearance- Clear pumpkin color ale pours a decent head.

Smell- Has a very weak smell seems to have a slight gourd smell and maybe some light spices.

Taste- Has a slight caramel taste is nothing special for the taste.

Mouthfeel- The beer stays carbonated and goes down smooth

Drinkability- The beer isn't bad but I probably won't drink it again.

3.4/5  rDev +9.7%

Cloudy pumpkin-orange ale here, with a pretty large foamy head.

Scent is spiced cinnamon and clove.

Flavor is strong -- a rush of pumpkin pie spice and clove.

Virtually no lingering aftertaste or complexity. Enjoyable enough of a seasonal ale, but seems a wee bit lacking and underdeveloped.

3.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz brown bottle with a freshness date printed on the neck of the bottle.

Pours a stiff head, two finger high. Brilliant copper color. Gourd aroma with some faint spicing and caramel-like malt. Snap in the crispness, pretty smooth with a moderate sized body. Even spicing with some pumpkin going on. Dry maltiness aside from a quick push of caramel. Very little hopping here which is fine. Finishes dry with some spice.

Nothing epic but not to shabby either. A decent pick for a low key holiday party that perhaps has a lot of non-beer drinkers.

3.55/5  rDev +14.5%

A- Orange-amber with medium white head and sea foam lacing.

S- Toffees, sweet malts, muted spices, faint earthy tones...perhaps pumpkin? Besides very faint spice smells, there is nothing unique that stands out.

T- Toffees, sweet malts, and earthy hops, very muted and faint hints of spice. No pumpkin I can detect.

M- Medium balanced, slightly creamy

D- Very easy to drink, but nothing unique to call this a pumpkin beer.

2.36/5  rDev -23.9%

I was pretty disappointed with this brew. The appearance was the standard amber/brown color that I anticipated. For being a pumpkin ale there was hardly any pumpkin flavor or any of the associated flavors like clove and allspice. It wasn't evidenced in the smell either so I wasn't too surprised when I took a sip. If I wasn't told it was a pumpkin ale I never would have known... It is drinkable, just not particularly special.

3.18/5  rDev +2.6%

In a restaurant with limited macro draught choices, this was definitely the best of the bunch! I realize it's Coors and therefore every true beer element is muted, but I actually enjoyed this very mildly spiced pumpkin pint. It had far more white/wheat notes than I expected and was light in flavour. No aroma or finish per say, and I didn't order a second pint, but overall it was surprisingly drinkable.

Rich amber color with not a lot of head to it. The aroma is light of allspice and not much else going on. The taste is very bland, but a hint of allspice and toasted malts come through. It has a smooth mouth feel and nice carbonation to it and is drinkable.

1.83/5  rDev -41%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Harvest moon pumpkin ale

Best by march 07, 2011

Poured into perfect pint glass. Beer given to me from a friend at work.

A - orangish/amber color with a quick 1 finger head that left in about 10 seconds with no lacing.

S - this is a tough one. Not much smell on this guy...that domestic ale alcohol the smallest bit of peppery spice....that's it really. Nothing the bottle says.

T - boy this is a bland pumpkin ale but what did I expect? The smallest bit of pumpkin, no cloves no allspice...little bit of pepper and oranges...My buds are failing me here, I got nothin'.

M - light, at least it has decent carbonation.

D - this was not a good pumpkin ale, not that I was expecting much but it didn't even meet the criteria I had thought it to be. If you want pumpkin ale spend the extra few bucks and get one that's worth it. You'll thank me.

3.32/5  rDev +7.1%

A clear, dark amber-copper color with a fair white head and modest signs of lacing. The aroma is sort of a light caramel allspice idea, leafy and pretty mild. Nothing outstanding. The flavor brings orange leafiness and harsh toasted almond. It's acrid with a vague soapiness evident at times. I pick up some caramel toffee hidden under the surface but it's mostly about the grassy/leafy thing which doesn't excite me. It's medium bodied and lively. Reasonably drinkable if you are okay with the taste.

2.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Not as good as I had hoped. Blue Moon regular is much better as is Jack's Pumpkin Spiced Ale which is my favorite of all of the pumpkin ales. It didn't have a lot of spice or a lot of pumpkin flavor either. I was disappointed in it as I had hoped for a better flavor from this beer. I drank a couple of six-packs because the store I buy from was out of my first choice. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it, but it was OK.

2.3/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance is a crystal clear light brown with an off-white head that quickly disipates. Hard to pick up smell but hints of spices, orange or citrus fruit, light malt or bread. Tastes kind of neutral or even with hints of spices and very light pumpkin undertone, nothing really jumping out at me. Nutmeg and nutty aftertaste. Goes down pretty smooth. Keep this one around for my wife, she likes it and i can drink it but not at the top of my shopping list.

3.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Clear dark orange, small head with little retention, medium carbonation.
Smell: Caramel, sweet spices.
Taste: Medium hops, sweet and spicy, oddly no pumpkin taste stands out.
Mouthfeel: Light and chewy
Drinkability: Good, easy on the stomach.
Sumary: This is a good beer. I gave it a 7.7/10, or a C+. What's disappointing is that there is no pumpkin taste, except maybe a faint hint in the aftertaste. The appearance is okay, but I do like the smell of the beer. The drinkability is good for ale. Overall this beer isn't really exciting, and it doesn't stand out from other fall/Octoberfest/seasonal beers, but I still wouldn't turn this beer down. I would drink it again.

3.7/5  rDev +19.4%

A - Semi-bright amber color which is slightly foggy. Has a thin lace that dissipates quickly.

S - Has a slightly bitter IPA smell, with a characteristic "pumpkin ale" aroma. Doesn't really smell like pumpkin to me but it smells like most of the other pumpkin style brews.

T - Reminds me of an IPA with extra spice, and some subtle notes of pumpkin. Maybe a little lemon.

M - Very fine carbonation that finishes smooth.

D - Very drinkable, not overpowering, but well balanced.

3.23/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Dark brown-orange amber with a nice tan creamy head. Lacing that disappears after a few seconds.

S - Pumpkin and spices.

T - Decent pumpkin beer. Malts were nice and creamy. A little bit of a skunky aftertaste.

M - Nice and creamy, good carbonation.

D - A decent Fall beer.

2.97/5  rDev -4.2%

Aroma
Pretty nondescript, maybe catch a bit of pumpkin scent but not much. A bit of light malt.

Mouthfeel
Bit of body, but not much heavier than a standard pilsner macrobrew. Reasonably carbonated, slightly less than average.

Appearance
May be best part of brew, this is a nice mahoghany copper color. Poured to non-existent head.

Taste
Light malt, slight bit of spice but fairly bland.

Drinkability
Rather, but nothing exciting to report

Overall
It doesn't taste bad it just doesn't seem to taste much like a pumpkin ale. Better brews can be had for less.

3.68/5  rDev +18.7%

This season I decided to try a few pumpkin ales. The first I tried was great, but considering this came out of a "sampler case," my expectations were a bit lower.

I enjoy regular on-tap Blue Moon Lager but was wasn't overly impressed.

The color is impressive (dark amber) but the aroma is minimal. The taste is good but not impressive. Tastes a lot like a non-pumpkin ale.

The mouthfeel is smooth and not overpowering.

The finish is lingering but not memorable. The labels boasts it has a lightly spiced finish but I didn't taset it.

Not something I would try again but since it was a cheap Pumpkin Ale, I did want to give it a try at least!

Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale from Coors Brewing Company