Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-1998

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,483 | Reviews: 715
2.05/5  rDev -33.9%

I am drinking this beer as I type and I just don't get it. Pumpkin beers are some of my favorites and this fails miserably. It just taste like a basic crappy beer. The smell reminds me of the days of college parties and drinking a BMC product. Overall I hate it. It's not good and don't waste your time or money.

3.47/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark reddish-orange with a whitehead that has minimal lacing and not much retention. The smell is pumpkin, nutmeg, and cloves. The taste starts out with some pumpkin and sweet malts, followed by some nutmeg, all-spice and cloves mixed with some pumpkin. The mouthfeel is smooth with some spices on the tip of the tongue. Overall this is a decent beer that is worth a try if no other pumpkin ale is available.

3.03/5  rDev -2.3%

Best Before Feb1312. $1.49 for a 12 oz.

A: Amber, bronze. Filtered. Decent amount of head and lacing.

S: Nutmeg, cinnamon mainly, but after a few whirls I do get some pumpkin.

T: Can't detect much pumpkin on the tongue, but the mentioned spices are apparent. A bit metallic, like accidentally licking an old penny.

M: Bubbly, bordering on watery. Not that offensive tasting compared to the few pumpkin ales I've had before.

O: Not looking forward to buying this again, but its worth it if only to drink a new beer.

3.19/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle a dark orange sunburst color with about a finger of an off white foam head. Lots of tiny bubbles.

Not much of an aroma to this one. Faint spice notes and something else that reminds me off roasting corn in the husk.

Taste slightly sweet at first with an earthy hop finish. Don't get much pumpkin or spice flavors that stand out.

Overall I thought this brew tasted more of an October Fest than a pumpkin ale.

2.73/5  rDev -11.9%

Since this is only my second real year of being an adventurous beer drinker I set out to try some pumpkin ales this fall. This is not really what I was expecting after hearing everyone's rave reviews of this style of beer. Pours a clear, dark copper color in the glass with a decent head. Smell is really nothing special. I was expecting a heavy pumpkin and spice aroma but was left just faint spices. Taste- this beer is not offensive at all, but I detect no pumpkin whatsoever! I can detect the spices but where's the pumpkin?

After reading other reviews, I will not base my opinion of this style of beer based on this offering. I will definitely try others this year to see what all the fuss is about. I'll happily drink the rest of this 6 pack, but definitely won't buy this one again.

3.08/5  rDev -0.6%

This is what I would expect from a large brewery. No imagination or risks taken. It would be a mediocre marzen, it is a poor attempt at a pumpkin ale! A lack of spices and pumpkin flavor leave this beer falling well short of the niche it was meant to satisfy!

1.96/5  rDev -36.8%

A-Orange/Brown, very clear, and looks like a pumpkin ale (But don't be deceived).

S- Nutmeg, ginger, no real pumpkin aroma.

T-Closer to a gingerbread than a pumpkin. Earthy and bland. No pumpkin taste at all.

M- Light in comparison to true pumpkin ales, doesn't have the same body as other pumpkins.

O-Very disappointing. It was the second "pumpkin" I've found this season, and it gives pumpkins a bad name. Do not expect real pumpkins to taste like this. I think it doesn't deserve the pumpking name, "Harvest Spice" is more like it.

4.47/5  rDev +44.2%

I read last year Blue Moon (Coors) was redoing their pumpkin ale and rename it Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale rather then the Harvest Moon.

This new one would have wheat and taste more of a pumpkin pie.

I always though the older one was rather bland. This one right off the bat taste like pumpkin pie. I can taste the pumpkin and spices. This is not Dogfish Punk but for a mass made beer, this one taste damn good for a pumpkin brew.

4.37/5  rDev +41%

I think this is a great beer. I can't think of a Blue Moon beer I don't like, and I think that this seasonal is really something special. It is rich, complex, and unique. The pumpkin is subtle, yet still present, and the spices make it a real tasty beer.

3.27/5  rDev +5.5%

I love pumpkin ales so when I saw this pumpkin ale from thebluemoon folks I had to try it. I was skeptical because I have had other seasonals from coors/blue moon and I wasn't very impressed. This one is right in line with their others.... Not bad but nothing very special. The overall look of this beer is awesome. I love the deep orange/copper color... But I feel like it comes up short beyond that. The smell is slight, the taste is slight over all it's nothing to get very excited about. I would try and break the taste and smell down more but there is so little going on it's hardly worth talkin about. Other pumpkin ales are an intense blend of autum spices... This is lacking.

1.69/5  rDev -45.5%

A - A nice brown orange color with a quickly fading white head and some tiny bubbles.

S - Not a lot of smell, but there is a bit of pumpkin spice and malt.

T - Not a lot of flavor, but what is there is bad. There is a light pumpkin and spice taste that just doesn't taste right to me and maybe a bit of malt in the background.

M - Light body, watery, with light to medium carbonation.

O - I like pumpkin beers but this one was just bad, blue moon usually has decent beers, but I would not recommend this one.

4.05/5  rDev +30.6%

Another find in my cellar. Tomorrow is Christmas in July at Iron Hill, so why not a prelude Hallowe'en/Thanksgiving beer today?

From the bottle: "This amber-colored, naturally flavored ale is only brewed in the autumn and combines the flavor of vine-ripened pumpkin & spices with traditional crystal malt."; "With its clove, nutmeg and allspice flavors, this amber-colored ale is perfect for fall's crisp, clear days. Serve this hearty brew with all of your autumn meals."

It looks to have held up quite well! I got a dense finger of tawny head with great retention in the heat from my pour. Color was an orangish-amber with NE-quality clarity. The spices really carried the day on the nose. I got clove immediately and I am not sure that I can discern between nutmeg and allspice, but there was more than just clove in there. Mouthfeel was medium to full and the spices had mellowed into a melange of spice, almost cinnamon-like, but quite nice. Finish was dry and refreshing, very welcome on this humid afternoon. I recommend drinking any you may have still around so that you can load up on the fresh stuff in a few months.

2.85/5  rDev -8.1%

About an average beer. I had high expectations because I am a blue moon fan but, wasn't as great as I thought it would be. Better than the cheap beer but the price may steer some people away. This beer pours out as a brownish color, a little darker than expected. I would recommend people to give it a shot but not one I will get too often. The smell was spicy, with a cinnamon aroma.

2.95/5  rDev -4.8%

This beer pours out as a brownish color, a little darker than expected. The head was white a fluffy a first. The lacing wasn't the best but decent. The smell was spicy, with some cinnamon and nutmeg. The taste was a little puzzling to me, It almost tasted like pumpkin but I think the spices kind of collided and didn't really work well together for some reason. The mouthfeel was pretty light and not overly carbonated. Overall It's not my favorite Pumpkin Ale.

3.73/5  rDev +20.3%

Now first off I'll say that I'm partial to Pumpkin Ales and have tried over 6 just this season. So on that note I'm judging this Pumpkin ale against all beers not just other pumpkin ales.

It's a relatively light beer and has hints of cinnamon and pumpkin but has a lot less spice and pumpkin pie like flavor than most of the pumpkin ales I have had. Regardless this beer is very good during Fall and I would recommend giving it a shot if you have the opportunity.

3.16/5  rDev +1.9%

Yet another review from old notes.

A: The pour is copper in color with about two fingers of off-white head.

S: First thing I seem to notice is a lack of pumpkin aroma here. Not only that, but it seems to be lacking in terms of the usual pumpkin pie spices as well. Some mild sweetness of caramel and toffee, and some toasted malt and grain.

T: The flavor is moderately sweet with just a hint of bitterness. I don't get much pumpkin or pie spice on the flavor either, maybe just a touch of nutmeg. Slight caramel and toffee with a decent breadiness.

M: Medium in body with a moderate carbonation.

O: Definitely one of the weaker pumpkin ales, but I guess I wasn't terribly surprised.

3.12/5  rDev +0.6%

From fall brew tasting notes (2010): Pours a clear copper color with a thin head. Decent head retention and lacing. Aroma is toasted grain, caramel and light spicy notes. The taste is faint spice notes, toasted grain, caramel and a faint metallic note. Thin and slightly watery. Very strong carbonation. Not very good.

3.08/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured into a tulip. The beer has a nice dark orange bronze color. The head of the beer is off-white to tan. Surprisingly it stuck around for a few minutes. There seems to be some patchy lacing as well. Mild spices and caramel malts with some earth like undertones. All in all a pretty toned down aroma. Not to heavy on flavor. Mainly just some faint spices a weak caramel and toffee notes. Mouth feel isn't bad though. Medium bodied, smooth, medium carbonation. At least that was does ok. As far as drinkability goes this average at best. Its drinkable but I could see myself getting bored fast.

2.71/5  rDev -12.6%

Appearance- Clear pumpkin color ale pours a decent head.

Smell- Has a very weak smell seems to have a slight gourd smell and maybe some light spices.

Taste- Has a slight caramel taste is nothing special for the taste.

Mouthfeel- The beer stays carbonated and goes down smooth

Drinkability- The beer isn't bad but I probably won't drink it again.

3.4/5  rDev +9.7%

Cloudy pumpkin-orange ale here, with a pretty large foamy head.

Scent is spiced cinnamon and clove.

Flavor is strong -- a rush of pumpkin pie spice and clove.

Virtually no lingering aftertaste or complexity. Enjoyable enough of a seasonal ale, but seems a wee bit lacking and underdeveloped.

3.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz brown bottle with a freshness date printed on the neck of the bottle.

Pours a stiff head, two finger high. Brilliant copper color. Gourd aroma with some faint spicing and caramel-like malt. Snap in the crispness, pretty smooth with a moderate sized body. Even spicing with some pumpkin going on. Dry maltiness aside from a quick push of caramel. Very little hopping here which is fine. Finishes dry with some spice.

Nothing epic but not to shabby either. A decent pick for a low key holiday party that perhaps has a lot of non-beer drinkers.

3.55/5  rDev +14.5%

A- Orange-amber with medium white head and sea foam lacing.

S- Toffees, sweet malts, muted spices, faint earthy tones...perhaps pumpkin? Besides very faint spice smells, there is nothing unique that stands out.

T- Toffees, sweet malts, and earthy hops, very muted and faint hints of spice. No pumpkin I can detect.

M- Medium balanced, slightly creamy

D- Very easy to drink, but nothing unique to call this a pumpkin beer.

2.36/5  rDev -23.9%

I was pretty disappointed with this brew. The appearance was the standard amber/brown color that I anticipated. For being a pumpkin ale there was hardly any pumpkin flavor or any of the associated flavors like clove and allspice. It wasn't evidenced in the smell either so I wasn't too surprised when I took a sip. If I wasn't told it was a pumpkin ale I never would have known... It is drinkable, just not particularly special.

3.18/5  rDev +2.6%

In a restaurant with limited macro draught choices, this was definitely the best of the bunch! I realize it's Coors and therefore every true beer element is muted, but I actually enjoyed this very mildly spiced pumpkin pint. It had far more white/wheat notes than I expected and was light in flavour. No aroma or finish per say, and I didn't order a second pint, but overall it was surprisingly drinkable.

Rich amber color with not a lot of head to it. The aroma is light of allspice and not much else going on. The taste is very bland, but a hint of allspice and toasted malts come through. It has a smooth mouth feel and nice carbonation to it and is drinkable.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale from Coors Brewing Company