1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin AleBlue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros

OB1, Sep 11, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -11%

dfhhead25, Sep 11, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +13.3%

DCocco86, Sep 11, 2013
3.86/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I've drank so many of these pumpkin ales this season, they are all starting to run together on me. Oh well... here we go.

Poured into a pint glass.

Look: A dark gold, with hints of orange. With a vigorous pour, I got a one finger head that stayed for a bit. The brew left a decent amount of lacing as well.

Smell: A slight "beer" smell, but there was some pumpkin and spice in there as well.

Taste: And this is where the surprise came in, not much on the smell, so I wasn't expecting much here, but the taste was pretty impressive. I like Blue Moon products alright, but there is a bit of an expectation with drinking one, and this surpassed it wonderfully. I was really liking the strong pumpkin and nutmeg.

Feel: Medium, and balanced. Nothing really stood out here for me to be impressed with, but nothing here to complain about either.

Overall: A very welcome surprise from Blue Moon. I think of them, and I see the scores on here, and was expecting something very ordinary. What I got instead was a very enjoyable six-pack that I will probably buy again before they go out of season.

JackMcAwesome, Sep 09, 2013

Jodawn, Sep 08, 2013
2.81/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Unlike some reviews, I liked this beer.

Poured it into a pint glass and had to poor slowly as it developed a 2 to 3 finger head that was off white to slightly tan in color. Thick head with a slight rocky top appearance. The lacing was still visible on the upper part of the glass when I was half through with the beer. The head lasted for 3 to 5 minutes before dissipating.

I could definitely detect the pumpkin in the smell until my nose became desensitized to the smell.

The pumpkin came out more in the finish than in the liquid on the tounge. I could detect some citrus flavors as well. All in all, a very smooth and drinkable beer.

The beer had nice body and a medium mouthfeel.

Overall I liked this beer and would not hesitate to order it again.

UPDATE!!!
After trying this beer in a restaurant I bought a 6 pack. It must have been from an entirely different batch. This time the pumpkin and spice aroma was very strong, and the flavor was extremely sweet and syrupy. Carbonation was almost non existent and it poured up with no head at all. Maybe this was just a bad bottle. Not sure, but now I am hesitant to even open the remainder, however I will in order to give this beer a third chance.

rashley, Sep 08, 2013

dgherm, Sep 08, 2013

EHackbeer, Sep 08, 2013

HollywoodNate, Sep 08, 2013

Gmartin75, Sep 08, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -27.2%

thebeeler, Sep 07, 2013
3.56/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Unreadable code inked onto the neck of the bottle but I'm assuming this beer is fresh.

Appearance: Translucent amber with virtually no head retention. The bit of suds that stick around are off-white in color. One of the least pleasant looking beers I've seen in a while because of the lack of a head or any lacing.

Aroma: Nice pumpkin pie spices with an underlying pumpkin puree that bodes well.

Taste: The front end is mostly fizzy Amber Ale territory but things pick up flavor-wise near the finish. The allspice and nutmeg come first really make an impact on the palate. The actual pumpkin flavor is, unfortunately, harder to place. It sort of flickers in there for a moment in the finish and then disappears. The aftertaste is an onslaught of nutmeg and cinnamon spices. Once the palate adjusts to the flavor profile the malt character comes adding a distinct breadyness. At 5.7% ABV there is a good amount of flavor thanks to the added spices.

Mouthfeel: Just below medium in body with the right amount of carbonation and average drinkability. The spices to get a bit drying after a while.

Final Thoughts: I've tried (and home-brewed) many pumpkin beers and have come to a few conclusions about the style. The first is that there are a few different types of pumpkin beers, with Blue Moon's Harvest Pumpkin Ale falling into the 'spiced pumpkin' category (as opposed to the 'pumpkin puree' or 'pumpkin pie' group). The second thing I've realized, based on personal taste, is that a pumpkin beer is either excellent or decent. I've just never had a bad one. That's why, for me, Harvest Pumpkin Ale falls in line with many other decent pumpkin beers. It drinks like a pedestrian attempt and the style, which is just fine because it's good. I'd definitely recommend this one to any Amber Ale drinkers looking to broaden their horizons. Would I drink it again? Yep, one of the only Blue Moon products I can say that about.

JamesMN, Sep 07, 2013