Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin AleBlue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-1998

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 706 | Hads: 2,574
3.48/5  rDev +12.6%

my first sampling of this brew and i was really looking forward to trying it. It pours a warm copper color with minimal head that dissipates quickly. The initial smell hints of a stronger ale with a significant pumpkin overtone. I found the taste to be a little weak and not as full bodied as i would have liked. Unfortunately, I only had one and would have liked to follow it up with numerous others as the drinkability is high. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a light, fall beverage.

3.32/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured a deep orange color, with a bit of a brown tint to it. Had a nice, off-white head, but it disappeared by the time I tossed the bottle into the trash and looked back at it. Brings a bit of sweetness to the nose, but mostly dominated by a spice flavor I almost want to say is nutmeg.

The nutmeg flavor is much heavier in the taste than the aroma made me think. It's not that it's a bad flavor, just a bit too strong of a flavor, with a mean bite at the end, almost like when you suddenly feel the urge to sneeze, and you suck a bit of a raw spice up your nose. Smooth and crisp going down.

Not a bad beer, but just seems a little uneven to me. Definitely worth a try, and pretty drinkable, but not something in my regular line up.

Medium copper with a quickly fading light tan head. Aromas of candy sugar dominate the nose. Wouldn't know this was a pumpkin ale unless you told me. Palate is quite boring. No pumpkin or pumpkin pie spice noticable. Light mouthfeel, and with almost no flavor. Boring. I don't see how they can bottle this and call it a pumpkin ale. No character, no flavor, and no need to try this one under any circumstances,

3.03/5  rDev -1.9%

I bought this on a whim right before Halloween. It pours an amber/orange color, very fall-like. Head is white, but short lived, as is the lacing. The taste is a bit like Blue Moon's Belgian White with some pumpkin and spices in it, pretty tasty. I could drink a few of these in a session, especially around Haloween, I thought it complimented the pumpkin carving quite well.

3.9/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a fairly dark orange/amber color with a pretty decent sized head. After a minute or two this has dropped to just a little with no lacing.

A decent smell of pumpkin and various spices. A little yeasty smell is detected as well.

The taste is quite pleasant, almost like a decent pale ale mixed with pumpkin bread although not to the point it is too sweet. Some hop bitterness detected in the back end.

Mouthfeel is smooth in the end with moderate carbonation up front. Not too watery or oily.

A very drinkable and sessionable beer.

This is the first pumpkin ale I've had and considering that this is made by the 'dreaded' Coors, this beer comes out pretty good. If the others are better I'm in for a treat this fall. It isn't a 'WOW this is the best beer ever' beer but it's pretty good. Definitely worth a try.

3.2/5  rDev +3.6%

Brown long-neck bottle.

Poured a clear copper/amber color with a decent head that dissipated fairly quickly.

Aroma was malty sweetness.

Flavor was the sweet maltiness with some discernable pumpkin. An decent beer.

This was the second of three pumpkin beers we tasted this evening in a back-to-back comparison, and the only one that was drinkable. Nothing like our pumpkin beer tasting of last year, where several were very good.

3.39/5  rDev +9.7%

pours out a slightly hazy orangish/copperish colour...frothy head appears and dies down to thin layer. there is a slight bit of lace too...aroma mostly malty and a bit spicy...i can't really pick up any pumpkin. upon tasting...the overall character of this pumpkin brew appears; light pumpkin...nutmeg...pumpkin pie spice...and maybe a bit of cinnamon and clove. rather pleasant considering this is my first pumpkin brew. some malt backbone...although the overall body is on the medium to light side. finishes slightly spicy and on the refreshing side. not a bad little brew...a sixer every autumn is probably worth it.

2.73/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Copper in colour with a somewhat creamy, tiny bubble head.

Eye Candy: Deep amber, almost brown, with a fizzy overflowing head. This vanished quickly and gave way to some thin lacing. Plenty of rising carbonation.

The Nose Knows: Light toasted malt with a touch of spice.

Tonquland: Clean and crisp, somewhat thin m/f but works overall. Light and toasted malt flavors initially, transitions into an astringent taste, then squash-like, finishes with a slight bitter end. When warmed, allows more of the spices to emerge.

Bender Factor: A solid gas station/grocery beer. I would certainly purchase this over anything else, except Saranac. If one wanted a fall seasonal and didn't care for a strong pumpkin or spice flavor, this would be their brew. Good for a beginner or for a long day of football (and as a Bills fan, there are some really long days ahead).

3.12/5  rDev +1%

It's a little strange drinking a "pumpkin ale" from blue moon, as bm to me is synonomous with a belgian white, but I got over it. This one pours with an orange color and a slight head. The taste is slightly bitter ale with some hops, floral overtones, and - of course - pumpkin flavor. Although it goes down smoothly, the bitterness limits one to one or two glasses. Overall a nice beer for a cool fall day.

4.44/5  rDev +43.7%

I tried my first pumpkin ale out of the bottle. I thought it was horrible. Later I tried it again, but I poured it into my glass. I suddenly became impressed.

This is brewed owned by Coors? I can't believe they could make a beer this nice. It has a nice amber body and a white creamy head. It has a subtle aroma, but it is a terrific aroma of pumpkin spices. The flavor jumps out a lot more in the glass as did the aroma. This is my first pumpkin brew and I think it is pretty good. I will definitely be looking for this beer every fall.

2.98/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours with a head about 1 cm eggshell in color, consisting of small bubbles. The color is an uninspired amber that has taken the pumpkin to heart with an orange hue. Mild smell, in fact its so mild that it takes a bit of sniffing to get a metallic whiff, which follows through the taste that has notes of aluminum. The mouthful is a bit oily and the after taste is slightly parching. Nonetheless, it is sort of an average, or ordinary beer. Not worth looking for but it’ll do in a pinch.

2.98/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a clear orange with a small tan head. Good lace and a nice looking beer.

A light pumpkin pie aroma wafts from the beer. There is a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg in the nose as well. Pretty nice.

The beer has a strong malt flavor that is unlike the smell. While it is not bad, it's certainly not what I was expecting. The taste was pretty bland and uninteresting.

The mouthfeel is thin and easy. Nothing too remarkable.

The appearance and aroma really offered a promise of a great beer. However, the taste lacked the complexity of the aroma and just didn't add much to the experience.

3.3/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This beer pours an amber body with a thick white head that quickly shrinks. Smell is of sweet caramel with a hint of pumpkin pie spice. Taste is spicy, hoppy with a hint of pumpkin. Body of beer is watery and seems a little too spritzy. Beer is drinkable and a bit different than most beers out there.

3.85/5  rDev +24.6%

The beer pours an amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a light maltiness with a pumpkin aroma that overlays. It has a natural pumpkin scent, not like canned processed pumpkin. It smells like my homebrews. The taste is relatively good. It is smooth with a nice pumpkin flavor that is not overpowering and finishes creamy. It has a decent malt palate of pale and crystal malts. There are hints of nutmeg and other spices; very tastey. The mouthfeel is good also. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good pumpkin seasonal. It has good flavor and drinkability. This is a winner for Coors.

3.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Pretty much average across the board, pours a nice amber orange with off white head that is nice to the eye, shrinks to respectability. The smell is not really pumpkin but a light nutmeg smell mixed with molasses and caramel, a pine hop presence is detected, the taste has a nice nutmeg beginning and the sweet malts will smack the lips, then the hop will cleanse the palate, not bad but not really a pumpkin ale, more a harvest.

3.58/5  rDev +15.9%

Since I've been on a pumpkin kick this past week, I was pleasantly surprised when a local Charlotte bar just received some Blue Moon Pumpkin. Compared to Cottonwood and Post Road, I put this brew somewhere right in the middle (with Cottonwood coming out on top). Very drinkable and tasty, it actually has hints of honey, pumpking, and cinnamon, though not too strong. Nice aftertaste and appearance. No real strong scent.

3.48/5  rDev +12.6%

I have to say I love pumpkin brews grab em when I see em,this one pours a nice copper with a nice two fingered fluffy head but it didnt retain itself to well or leave any lacing.I picked up huge amounts of malt in the aroma but not a big pumpkin nose I got some orange peel mainly with some pumpkin spice notes that come after a while.Taste is decent not over the top on pumpkin but nice and subtle with the spice in the finish has a nice lightly sweet malt profile to it just a light citruisy hop note late wich is very faint.A respectable brew from Coors (thought I would never say that) subtle and quaffable for the fall season.

3.03/5  rDev -1.9%

I had this out of a 12 oz brown bottle and served in a pint glass. Nice looking label that gets you read for Fall with ripe pumpkins. Freshness date labeled on the bottle in ink labeled for February 13 2004.

Amberish copper color with a nice 1 inch head on top.

Smells like toasted malt and sweet spices.

Taste is sweet malt up front with spicy nutmeg, but the finish is not so great. Peppery completion. Taste becomes sour and tart.

An average Fall brew that honestly left me disappointed.

2.27/5  rDev -26.5%

Man, this is orange, living up to it's pumpkin name. I discovered pumpkin beers when one of my local brewpubs (Quarryman, sadly , now out-of-business) brewed what tasted like a slice of pie into thier beer. Unbelieveable, and only could get it at this time of year. (Lucky enough to be the last beer I had from the place too..) They set a tough bar, and this was the first "octoberfest/pumpkin" beer I'd tried since then.

As I said, very orange and dark red and smells spicy and almost like a bubble gum. When in the mouth, a little better than average with bite and foam, and aftertaste leaves a very un-beer taste.

Taste is, well, bubblegum. I taste a little of the spice they put in but unlike the Quarryman's pumpkin, this is devoid of any real pumpkin flavor. It was more towards regular Coors with spice added. I'm not going to get this again, and I would have preferred the original Blue Moon. (A beer that is also not beer like but much better.)

Drinkable? I suppose if you like this sort of thing, but having just tried the JW Dundees Pale Ale and it was $2 cheaper, try something else for this price and you'll likely be happier.

3.24/5  rDev +4.9%

Very nice head--two fingers thick. The liquid is clear and has a dark orange/amber tinge to it. Only demerit is the nearly complete lack of lace.

A strong sour milk aroma to start with! Okay, some pumpkin is there, which is refreshing from other pumpkin beers that really feature cinnamon and nutmeg. On the third whiff, some soapiness is present. This is very surprising since this glass was being used for a pumpkin beer flight and this aroma has not been present thus far.

Closer to a scotch ale or a mild in flavor. The "pumpkin" aspects are quite muted. The hop is light and only present in the aftertaste. Fairly full-bodied with a proper amount of carbonation. The aftertaste is mild and short-lived--rather watery.

Oddly, this is a quaffable beer. Certainly, it is far more flavorful regular lawn mower beers. Unfortunately, it is rather one-dimensional, lacking complexity.

1.33/5  rDev -57%

Maybe it's just me, but I want my beer to taste like... beer. I don't know what the hell this shit was, but it wasn't beer. I got a six pack of it because I had never tried it and I figured a Coors product could only be so bad right? Wrong. It took me and my roommate the better half of a month to kill just four of them. Put the fifth in my collection and gave the last one away to a stripper, who drank about a sip threw it away. If you really, really like pumpkin give it a try, otherwise stick with a real beer.

3.3/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours with a white two-fingered head, fades quickly, leaves a touch of lace. Medium carbonation and light-medium bodied. Color is nice, clear amber. Nose is spice. Starts and finishes sweet and spicy reminds you of a pumpkin pie. Took a chance since the expiration date was coming up but it is fine - a real deal at $1.57 for a 6-pack, expiration date is 2/15.

2.63/5  rDev -14.9%

I bought a six-pack of this beer at a last-resort package store down the street from me. Sadly, it was the best-looking beer they had available that particular night. At first, I was impressed with the deep amber color and hearty head. Soon after, however, Coors' shoddy attempt at passing off a crap brew as a craft brew became apparent. The head fizzled out, leaving an oily feeling on my tongue, which didn't exactly complement the transparently artificial pumpkin (that is to say, nutmeg and cinnamon) taste.

3.35/5  rDev +8.4%

Tan head that quickly faded. Brownish orange in color.
Aroma of sweet caramel malt, spice, and a hint of pumpkin.

Taste shows a sweet biscuity, caramel malt and spices as the dominant flavors. Hint of pumpkin. Hops fall short of balancing this one. Sweet overall. Add some crispness to the finish and I'd like this one a lot better.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery.
Drinkability suffers a bit due to the malt sweetness becoming a little cloying.
Overall a solid pumpkin ale, but I'd like to see some more hop bite.

3.53/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Orange colored with a low beige head and good carbonation. Pumpkin aroma is light but primary characteristic with spices a bit lighter. Nice balanced pumpkin-spice flavors but not quite spicy enough for my taste... leans toward pumpkin. Light-medium bodied with a spicy finish.

A good version for a macro ... but not my first choice to buy.

Label states: "Ale brewed with natural flavor" & "Vine ripened pumpkin and spices with traditional Crystal malt"

Best Before (?): Feb15 ('04)
Tasted: 12/16/03