Blue Moon Gingerbread Spiced Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Darkmagus82 on 10-28-2013

Reviews by JackMcAwesome:
3.9/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My wife picked this up because she couldn't remember me having it. (Living the good life I am!)

Look: Pretty decent looking brew. The label is a typical majestic Blue Moon label, "Limited Release" stamped on the top. Which always makes me sad. It pours a dark golden brown, with a one finger head that has since dissipated to a thin ring. Lacing is minimal, which is a shame, because lacing always reminds me of winter. And I think it'd be great to have a lot on this one.

Smell: Ginger right off the bat. A whole lot of ginger. As it warmed up, the cinnamon decided to show up, which just brings about memories of Christmas, and all that fun stuff. Maybe because I've had a ton of pumpkin beers here of late, but I feel like there is some nutmeg there too. The aroma died off about midway through, and that bums me out.

Taste: The tongue is definitely picking up the nutmeg. The ginger is the most prevalent and it finishes with the cinnamon. I was curious about the hops the use, so I had to look it up. They use Hallertau which I admittingly know nothing about, so a new experience there.

Feel: Medium. The carbonation is there, but it is pretty well balanced with a syrup like texture. No trace of alcohol that I can tell.

Overall: Not a bad brew at all. I like to visit Blue Moon and Sam Adams from time to time to acknowledge my roots. And again, I had my wife looking out for me, and this was a very welcome beer. I wish it got cold here so I could really feel at home, but this gets me close. Maybe it's the label, maybe it's the ginger and cinnamon, but there is definitely a bit of nostalgia with this one. I'd grab a six if it were offered. Improvements could be amping up the lacing, and the aroma not falling off.

2.5/5  rDev -23.3%

2.75/5  rDev -15.6%

2.53/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Drank from bottle. Slightly off color than what I expected. It smelled like gingerbread with hints of cinnamon. It smells like what the label is promising. Although it smelled good, it was overly sweet and unbalanced. Sweet upfront and a little metallic on the back end. A little lighter than what I expected from an amber. I normally like spiced beers, but this didn't do it for me. Just average.

2.76/5  rDev -15.3%

2.94/5  rDev -9.8%

3.25/5  rDev -0.3%

2.88/5  rDev -11.7%

3.79/5  rDev +16.3%

3.25/5  rDev -0.3%

2.88/5  rDev -11.7%

4.06/5  rDev +24.5%

Blue Moon Gingerbread Spiced Ale brewed by Coors Brewing Company, with an ABV of 5.90% This brew pours out a nice light brown color , with an off white head. The smell is rich with sweetness and spices. Gingerbread Spiced Ale puts you in the mind of Christmas cookies, not saying that is a bad thing. You also pick up on some gains in the taste of this brew. The mouthfeel is nice and clean. At the end of the is brew there is a nice smoothness. There is nothing overpowering in this brew, it has a nice balance to it. Coors Brewing Company did a nice job with this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5. I would get this brew again.

2.25/5  rDev -31%

3.02/5  rDev -7.4%

Had a few of these in one session. It's amber in color and clear and has a 2 finger head that quickly dissipates. Aroma of nutmeg, ginger & cinnamon? Tastes like it was intended, like a gingerbread inside a German wheat, not bitter at all. Carbonation was minimal and the beer was smooth & surprisingly easy to drink. I thought it would be too sweet but it wasn't

2.7/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

2.76/5  rDev -15.3%

2.75/5  rDev -15.6%

3.5/5  rDev +7.4%

3.52/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle stamped MAR2414-FO5101057. Sampled on December 3, 2013.

It is an attractive looking well carbonated pour with a chestnut color and modest head that fades.

The aroma is vibrant with pale malts, gingerbread, cinnamon, and other spices. If I didn't know better I would think I was sniffing a pumpkin ale.

Medium body with some carbonation breakdown.

Like the aroma the gingerbread is front and center in the taste but the cinnamon spices also kick in and lead to a bitter bite at the finish. It really feels like a Winter Warmer.

Blue Moon Gingerbread Spiced Ale from Coors Brewing Company