Blue Moon Gingerbread Spiced Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Ratings: 222 | Reviews: 37
Reviews by Matthew_Phoenix:
2.78/5  rDev -15%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Drank from bottle. Slightly off color than what I expected. It smelled like gingerbread with hints of cinnamon. It smells like what the label is promising. Although it smelled good, it was overly sweet and unbalanced. Sweet upfront and a little metallic on the back end. A little lighter than what I expected from an amber. I normally like spiced beers, but this didn't do it for me. Just average.

4.06/5  rDev +24.2%

Blue Moon Gingerbread Spiced Ale brewed by Coors Brewing Company, with an ABV of 5.90% This brew pours out a nice light brown color , with an off white head. The smell is rich with sweetness and spices. Gingerbread Spiced Ale puts you in the mind of Christmas cookies, not saying that is a bad thing. You also pick up on some gains in the taste of this brew. The mouthfeel is nice and clean. At the end of the is brew there is a nice smoothness. There is nothing overpowering in this brew, it has a nice balance to it. Coors Brewing Company did a nice job with this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5. I would get this brew again.

3.02/5  rDev -7.6%

Had a few of these in one session. It's amber in color and clear and has a 2 finger head that quickly dissipates. Aroma of nutmeg, ginger & cinnamon? Tastes like it was intended, like a gingerbread inside a German wheat, not bitter at all. Carbonation was minimal and the beer was smooth & surprisingly easy to drink. I thought it would be too sweet but it wasn't

3.37/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Enjoyed form the bottle in a pint glass. This spiced brew pours an attractive rusty red with a light off white head of dissipating foam that dies down to a thin layer and solid lacing. Nose of ginger, caramel malts, brown sugars, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Flavors are up front spiced with ginger and brown sugars to the front, some cinnamon and nutmeg to the sides and rear with a light fresh bread flavor rounding it all out. Smooth yet bracing spice brew that finishes sweet. Surprisingly decent for what it is, although will admit it is a pumpkin brew minus the pumpkin. Not too shabby for a macro micro.

3.52/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle stamped MAR2414-FO5101057. Sampled on December 3, 2013.

It is an attractive looking well carbonated pour with a chestnut color and modest head that fades.

The aroma is vibrant with pale malts, gingerbread, cinnamon, and other spices. If I didn't know better I would think I was sniffing a pumpkin ale.

Medium body with some carbonation breakdown.

Like the aroma the gingerbread is front and center in the taste but the cinnamon spices also kick in and lead to a bitter bite at the finish. It really feels like a Winter Warmer.

2.75/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Blue Moon Gingerbread Spiced Ale has a thin, off-white head, a mostly clear, rust-brown appearance, and no lacing left behind. The aroma is of all-spice, brown bread, and some subdued spices. Taste is of sweetness, spices, brown bread, and low bitterness. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Blue Moon Gingerbread Spiced Ale finishes semi-dry and easy drinking.

RJT

3.61/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This one i drank straight from the bottle. Right off the bat after opening was hit with the aroma of gingerbread, cinnamon, and nutmeg. The taste if right on, a mix of gingerbread, cinnamon, nutmeg, malts and a slight hint of caramel. The mouthfeel was smooth with just the perfect amount of carbonation.

I'll most likely update this review again later since I want to take notes while experiencing it, but this beer really clicked for me. It was perfectly balanced in pretty much every way. The flavor was Gingerbread Spice just as the name labeled it. I hate when beers say they taste like something and end up not doing so. This was overall a phenomenal beer.

3.26/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I was looking forward to tasting this brew, it's just too bad I walked away slightly disappointed. Advertised as a "gingerbread spiced ale" I was expecting more of a gingerbread odor and taste - neither of which I could pull out of the beer. The definite ale base is there - nothing overly spectacular or different from any other ale - but I just couldn't really taste the gingerbread (and that is one distinctive flavor.) Anyway, ignoring the lack of gingerbread flavoring, it is a decent ale.

3.48/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Clear reddish amber with a large tan head, which slowly fades to a thin, unbroken layer of foam on the surface. Thick, fine-beaded lacing coats the glass walls. Clouds of minute bubbles drift lazily to the surface.

Aroma: Very prominent gingerbread, nutmeg, and cinnamon notes, with a backbone of caramel and brown bread. The aroma is reminiscent of Christmas cookies.

Taste: Opens with sweet caramel and dark bread flavors, overlaid with cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. As the taste progresses, the spices intensify. Late in the taste, there is a wave of molasses and brown sugar. Finishes with strong sweet and spicy flavors and a mild herbal hop bitterness.

Mouth feel: Smooth and pleasant, perhaps just a touch thin, with a little zesty carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Very enjoyable, almost like drinking a Christmas cookie.

Presentation: Packaged in a custom embossed twelve-ounce brown glass bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

3.46/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - It is like a brown ale color, with a bubbly head.

Smell - You can smell the ginger and cinnamon.

Taste - I was expecting it to be more sweet, it reminds me of an Oktoberfest beer; with the ginger being the strongest of the spices.

Mouthfeel - Thick bodied beer.

Overall - Close to a gingerbread beer but it could have been sweeter.

4.69/5  rDev +43.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

very good beer, but nothing beats IPA

2.12/5  rDev -35.2%

This one and the cinnamon Horatcha out of the taster Pack are pretty Savage, my pallet disapproves

3.86/5  rDev +18%

Good beer. Could be a bit darker. Maybe a little heavier but my new beer at BDUBS.

2.83/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - a burnt orange color with a thin but plucky head. What few lacing threads form up have good stick to 'em.

Aroma - a sort of clovy smell at first along with a metallic bit. Some light molasses on setup.

Taste - sweet and malty, a bit metallic and faint, washed out molasses. Not half bad but the metallic element is a distraction.

Mouthfeel - thin but crisp. Could use more body - c'mon, this beer needs some heft to get through the winter.

Overall - maybe better on tap, I'd give it a shot if I saw it but not one I'd re-visit otherwise.

3.3/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Darker shade of amber with a transient light brown head. Smells like ginger and bread, biscuits although it's mostly a one dimensional ginger blast. Taste follows with a tongue piercing bite of ginger that stays consistently assertive. Underlying notes of cracker, biscuit, nutmeg, caramel. Body is light and the carbonation is aggressive making the spicy ginger more persistent. This one is the most drinkable of the sampler pack but the weak body combined with aggressive carbonation makes it hard to drink more than one at a time.

2.28/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

this beer is average at best

3.01/5  rDev -8%

12 oz twistoff. Pours a light amber color. Smells of gingerbread and cinnamon. In the taste, cinnamon, caramel and a little gingerbread. Has a cider like note. Reminiscent of a spiked cider with a sugar-cinnamon ring.
Light bodied, well carbonated feel. Overall, this is an interesting ale. Aptly named, this is reminiscent of the namesake.

3.2/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with twist-off pressure cap and unappealing label art acquired as part of a Blue Moon variety box at my local H-E-B grocery some months ago and served into a Spaten stangenglas in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are below average given the brewery. 5.9% ABV. Label identifies it as an amber ale. Best before: "APR2814." Reviewed as a spiced amber ale.

Served cold - at fridge temp. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a 2.5 finger wide head of white colour, nice soft complexion, and decent consistency. Fairly frothy, but not real creamy or thick. Still, the head overall exceeds expectations. Leaves soapy spotty inconsistent "legs" as the head recedes. Head retention is average - about two minutes.

Body colour is a transparent translucent amber of good clarity. No floating yeast particles or sediment is visible. It's a clean body, and seems adequately carbonated.

Overall, it's looking pretty standard for an amber, and appears kind of bready in my stangenglas. There are no obvious flaws here, and it's not unique or special, but I'd call it above average looking.

Sm: Lightly bready, with some ginger spice and nutmeg spice in there. I don't pick up on the molasses mentioned on the label. Amber malts, caramalts, faint clove, and caramel. No yeast character, alcohol, or off-notes are detectable. It's a pleasant aroma of above average strength, and delivers on the premise; this does evoke ginger and feels like an amber. The spicing is subtle and well-integrated.

I imagine many reviewers will take digs at this aroma because they know Coors brewed it, but frankly it's a nice aroma for what the beer is trying to be, and if you told me it was craft and I smelled it blind, I'd absolutely believe you. This is shaping up to be a nice little spiced amber.

T: Caramalt and amber malts provide the simple unobtrusive foundation for this spiced amber, with subtle albeit shallow spices coming through as well: ginger, nutmeg, clove, maybe allspice? Unfortunately, there's little else happening here, and it's a pretty straightforward simple beer. Don't expect much subtlety, complexity, nuance, or intricacy. But the balance is nice; the spices play well alongside these choices of malts, and there's a faint herbal hop presence. It's a shallow beer with average duration and intensity of flavour, but it's got nice amplitude and is pleasant to sip on. A cohesive - but not a gestalt -build.

Mf: Smooth, wet, crisp, and overcarbonated. This texture suits the taste decently, but doesn't coax out any nuances or elevate the taste to another level. Nice presence and weight on the palate. This mouthfeel isn't too thick or overbearing.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, harsh, or astringent.

Dr: In spite of its simplicity and lack of depth, this is an enjoyable drinkable spiced amber which will please the casual beer drinker but won't impress the discerning critic. I'll easily finish the bottle and find this to be one of Blue Moon's more flavorful and innovative offerings. As drinkable as it is, I wouldn't buy it in 6 pack form, but I'd be pleased to see it again in future Blue Moon variety packs. Evidence that Coors - perhaps unlike Budweiser and even their partner Miller - is actually trying.

C+

4.09/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Delicious! Was surprised I liked it as much as I did! I wish I could get a 12! It is the perfect blen of spices without being too sweet or too bitter! LOVED IT!

2.08/5  rDev -36.4%

Ehh wasn't really impressed. Gingerbread flavor was light and not over powering but would never get again. Tiffs Morris Plains NJ 12/30/14

3.9/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My wife picked this up because she couldn't remember me having it. (Living the good life I am!)

Look: Pretty decent looking brew. The label is a typical majestic Blue Moon label, "Limited Release" stamped on the top. Which always makes me sad. It pours a dark golden brown, with a one finger head that has since dissipated to a thin ring. Lacing is minimal, which is a shame, because lacing always reminds me of winter. And I think it'd be great to have a lot on this one.

Smell: Ginger right off the bat. A whole lot of ginger. As it warmed up, the cinnamon decided to show up, which just brings about memories of Christmas, and all that fun stuff. Maybe because I've had a ton of pumpkin beers here of late, but I feel like there is some nutmeg there too. The aroma died off about midway through, and that bums me out.

Taste: The tongue is definitely picking up the nutmeg. The ginger is the most prevalent and it finishes with the cinnamon. I was curious about the hops the use, so I had to look it up. They use Hallertau which I admittingly know nothing about, so a new experience there.

Feel: Medium. The carbonation is there, but it is pretty well balanced with a syrup like texture. No trace of alcohol that I can tell.

Overall: Not a bad brew at all. I like to visit Blue Moon and Sam Adams from time to time to acknowledge my roots. And again, I had my wife looking out for me, and this was a very welcome beer. I wish it got cold here so I could really feel at home, but this gets me close. Maybe it's the label, maybe it's the ginger and cinnamon, but there is definitely a bit of nostalgia with this one. I'd grab a six if it were offered. Improvements could be amping up the lacing, and the aroma not falling off.

3.84/5  rDev +17.4%

Perfect for the winter time. I could kick back in a cabin in the woods and drink this all night

3.91/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass. Best before 7 April 2014.

A: Rich auburn in color. Clear, with lots of bubbles but barely any head.

S: Well. It smells kind of like gingerbread, kind of like a pumpkin beer (thanks to all the spices). Allspice? Cinnamon? Nutmeg?

T/M: This is actually really good! It actually is bready, gingery, and delicious. Thick in body (mayhap thanks to the molasses) and pleasantly warming. The spice is less subdued than on the smell, but still titillating. Light yeast on the aftertaste. Do all Blue Moon beers include wheated malt?

O: Too bad this is a one-off; I would drink it again! Sincerely recommended.

I just be rating my beer

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »