Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,532 | Hads: 6,193
3.28/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Look-Has a hazy light orange gold color with a foamy head.

Smell-I get sweet orange, citrus, lemon peel, tangerine, and a wheat yeast smell, too.

Taste-It tastes like it smells, but the aromas are more muted. This is a smooth beer with lots of citrus and yeast components. You will see corresponding sediments at the bottom from the yeast. The malts are grainy and wheat.

Mouthfeel-It is crisp and smooth with mild fizzy carbonation. It is light-bodied and with a small bite from the miniscule alcohol which is 5.4% ABV.

Overall-It is a classic wheat beer and is a good go-to beer for the novice beer drinker. Serve chilled and enjoy. (638 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Orange juice color with a head that dies to nothing.. A/T orange, oats, slight lemon, wheat bread.. Thin body.. Good beer that's better then it's made out to be (160 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

look, hazy yellow with some sediment as a 12 ozer is poured into a pint beer glass
smell. very little but what does come off the glass is mildly pleasing
taste, light almost gracefull. the perfict beer on a hot day after logging in the heat.
feel, feels good
overall, for a light wit beer it is wonderful. very drinkable and light, pleasant, and perfict for summer (364 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A decent wheat beer for the price and from a macro brewery. Nothing spectacular happening here but nothing offensive either. Nice banana in the taste and aroma but also a hint of corn (?)...

Easy to drink and the best beer you might get in a bar that's been hijacked by the macro brewery... (294 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +13.7%

A - Tick white creamy head. Pale unclear, light orange color.
S - Banana, grape..
T/M - Drinkable, medium carbonated. Citrus, clove, banana, creamy.

O - Sweet and drinkable, smooth. (182 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a hefe glass
some numbers on the bottom but I cannot discern a date from them

A: Very hazy, golden orange, 1 plus fingers width of white head, decent retention, leaves a small amount of lacing. 3.75

S: Lots of citrus with sweet orange and tart lemon, some spice with subtle clove. Not a ton going on, and definitely not complex, but a very pleasant aroma. 3.75

T: Sweet wheat, a small amount of spice, much more subtle citrus than on the nose, small amount of bitterness. Decent taste, but nothing special. 3.25

M/D: Lighter side of medium body, carbonation on the heavier end which is appropriate, somewhat filing which I often find to be the case with wheat beers, drinkability is average. 3.5

O: Decent beer. Not something I drink often but on a hot summer day at a non-beer bar it might be the best option. 3.5 (844 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Blue Moon is one of my go-to beers. As a matter of fact, there's most of a six-pack sitting in my fridge right now. I know it's brewed by Coors, but it's a good beer and only about fifty cents more expensive than budweiser. I usually drink it straight from the bottle, but when I do have it on draught, it's an unfiltered beer with an orange-ish hue and small white head. It smells of orange and wheat, with the same taste. Very citrusy, not watery, and not too carbonated. Unless I'm looking for something in particular (such as a chocolate stout or IPA), when I go to the store, this is what I pick up. Also, it's more alcoholic than nearly all "common" American beers, so I can't help but give it points there. This is my go-to brew for almost any and every occasion. (770 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Orange/Amber color, light head that quickly faded, no lacing. Faint aromas of orange peel, coriander and a slight grassy smell. Flavor had some nice wheat notes, some coriander spiciness, and a bit of citrusy orange. Mouthfeel was medium bodied, with nice carbonation. Overall, this was a pleasant suprise, better than I remembered from the past. (346 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

A: hazy; orangish yellow in color; 1 finger moussy white head that receded to a thin collar; very little lacing;

S: fresh orange; a hint of coriander in the background;

T: dull orange; no coriander; mild bitterness on the finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: this may be popular and it may be a gateway into craft, but it's a poor representation of the style; (377 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Cloudy yellow color, small white head. Light aroma of orange peel and wheat. Dry sweet taste has orange, lemon, wheat, spices, hops. Thin body and good carbonation. Decent wit. (176 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is one of the first "craft" beers I ever had. I'm mostly reviewing it because it's a classic.
Appearance: Poured from Brewmaster's can into a frozen pint glass, this brew has an orange glow with some white foam at the top which leaves behind some delicate lacing when sipped.
Smell: Smells a pleasant bready wheat with notes of orange and spice. Not much more than that.
Taste: Medium-light bodied and well carbonated. Tastes exactly how it smells except my sense of taste is much better than my sense of smell so I could taste the spices much better than I could smell them.
Overall: Personally, I don't prefer this style of beer though I have to say, Coors was able to stay true to the Belgian White/Witbier profile with this one. Usually of all the choices you can find of cheap single cans at your local gas station, this is the most solid brew to go with especially considering the price. I rated it 4.0 overall because this beer is an excellent introduction into the craft world and an enjoyable brew for most. (1,021 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Too creamy for my liking, but I suppose it is good for what it is. I would choose other Witbiers over this beer, but I would definitely choose this beer over the other macros often found at Applebee's and the like. (214 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +36.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Im not a beer drinker, generally never can finish even one beer but was easily able to finish this. Had it with an orange slice and the citrus blended perfectly. Highly recommended to those non or new beer drinkers (214 characters)

Flat with an unpalatable, nauseatingly sweet taste profile. Unlike most beer this one gets worse the more you drink it. Generally, not a fan of the coriander/orange taste profile in my beer. (190 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

355ml bottle. 11 May 15. Cloudy, deep gold colour with a creamy white head which reduced to a ring and left no lacing. Aroma of citrus, coriander, honey, wheat and yeast (tick, tick, tick). Light to medium sweetness, light bitterness and a little bit of spiciness. Light to medium body, creamy texture, some zestiness and lingering gentle bitterness in a semi-dry finish. A decent tip of the hat to Belgian Witbiers and very drinkable. (435 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Look hazy yellow/orange, solid 2 finger head. Smell is old oranges and grains. Again with the old oranges on taste, almost making a American lager flavor. The feel is not thirst quenching like I would want from this style. Good introductory beer but not something I would willingly seek out (290 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Liked this beer. To me a medium bodied beer with wheaty or baked bread aroma and taste. Smooth for the most part; ends with a just the right amount of sharpness. Drank from bottle so don't have opinion on color. Only faint hint of hops which is perfect to me. I would recommend. Cheers!!! (288 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Very light and sweet, buttery but not heavy. I used to think this had a fruitiness to it, but it's nowhere near the taste you'd get in a craft beer. Go in with low expectations and you will be happy--it's a wheaty Budweiser. (224 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -13.7%

Blue Moon is a decent beer. Very citrusy and has a pretty smooth finish. At 5.4% ABV you can get a pretty decent buzz on. However, this is not a craft beer and I am upset that they try to market it as such. It's made by Coors, so don't be fooled people. (253 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

A: Pours a hazy light gold with a thin white head which dissipates quickly with little lacing.

S: Orange peel, citrus, biscuit, and a slight herbal spiciness.

T: Orange, citrus, apple, coriander, and cracker.

M: Very light bodied, moderate carbonation, very easy drinking.

O: Drinkable. That's about it. (337 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +30.6%

Once upon a time I was convinced that I hate beer. Surely this sentiment originates from high school, when I snuck downstairs to search the parents' liquor cabinet; or I stole a Hoegaarden from the most recent barbecue. I hated every single "adult" drink I tried, and when I turned 21, I assumed my tastes had not changed. And beer, I thought, is the worst of them all---the nastiest, the throat-closingest, the gut-wringingest. At least I can choke the rum down.

Then I actually TRIED some, five years later. Thinking I was a real tough lot at first, I went for some of the hardest stuff the liquor store had in stock: a douplebock, and an imperial red. The red was okay, but I had to chug the bock, convincing myself the buzz at least might be worth it. In short, my first LEGAL experience with beer was not a pleasant one.

It's one week later. I'm browsing for a bottle of whiskey, or perhaps brandy. ("I'll try everything once," I adventurously promised myself.) I see a six-pack of Blue Moon on one of the shelves. Images inundate my head; namely of a certain Mexican restaurant chain, which I believed at the time to be related to the beer. This, I assured myself, would be the last one I tried; if I hate it, then I suppose I'm just not a beer guy. But lo and behold...

Imagine if someone kidnapped oranges and wheat off the street, locked them up in his basement, and forced them to have sex at gunpoint for his own sick amusement. The resulting rape-spawn was named Blue Moon. The color: orange. The smell: wheat. The taste: wheat and orange. The first time I tried it the initial taste seemed to be like an ordinary, nasty, bitter beer. (Of course I've tasted much bitterer by now, and thoroughly enjoyed it.) But then the aftertaste kicks in; the bready, yeasty, biscuity aftertaste. Lord of lords. This, right here, is the beer that convinced me I like beer.

"Do you still love me, baby?" she coos nervously into my ear, worried that her Coors upbringing is seeping its way into my heart; that I think she's some kind of cheap whore because of her past, and I'll abandon her like every other guy. Yet every time I give the same reply. (2,150 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Sessionable inoffensive beer to enjoy when mostly macro is all that is available. Ok for the style. Served with an orange wedge and can't say that was unwelcome. (163 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - cloudy a bit darker than white. Aroma- some banana, some other vague fruit. Taste - Also non specific fruits , a pleasantly sweet finish. Mouthfeel is good. There are better witbiers for no more $, but this is a not unpleasant choice. (247 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy yellow, straw color with a finger of head. Sad looking lacing betrays large bubble structure, which brings down the 4 I was going to give the look. Smell is sharp citrus, orange and a little lemony. Not much else comes through. I really don't like the smell. Much better than the smell. Starts off with the sharp citrus but lends itself to a nice grainy tone. Both flavors fade together. Not very complex, but not bad. Feels chewier than expected, a little too sticky for the style, maybe. Pretty much an OK beer. I'd rather drink a straight Budweiser, though, I think. (593 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +16.9%

Entirely drinkable, and I normally don't like fruit-flavoured beers. Great "gateway beer" for lager drinkers!

Smooth and only slightly fruity. Wish it wasn't so clearly marketed towards women, but so it goes. (209 characters)

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company