Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

good

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Reviews by Tr0janSlay3r:
2.9/5  rDev -14.5%

So just want to start that I did not put any orange in this beer because I did not want to go away from the beer's natural flavor. I am excited to review this brew especially because so many regular beer drinkers enjoy it!

Appearance- Somewhat see through with about a one finger head. There is a little carbonation but not as overwhelming as I would have thought. This is a golden orange color brew with zero to little lacing.

Smell- I smell a decent amount of malt from the get go with a definite hint of orange zest following. To be honest it almost has a spoiled orange smell to it, like it is past its prime. I actually pick up some pineapple too but I know that is not prevalent in this beer.

Taste- I get a copious amount of adjunct malt right on the tip of my palate. There is only but a hint of orange of the initial sip. With the second gulp, I get a lot more of the orange but still it tastes so fake, I see why they tell you to put a real one into the beer itself.

Mouthfeel- Medium to light bodied with very high drinkability. It goes down incredibly smooth and you could easily drink a lot of them. It is however kind of watery at the same time for a whit bier blue moon is definitely on the lower side of mouthfeel.

Overall, it’s okay. I am impressed it is from Coors, but needless to say I can tell it is from Coors. I bet this is much better with the orange, but I wanted to review the beer itself. This beer really just has a fake taste to it which I did not enjoy too much. I would recommend this to anyone who is not a craft beer drinker and wants to broaden their horizons. CHEERS!

3.41/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange gold with a nice one-and-half-inch head. Lacing minimal. Pretty heavy carbonation.

Aroma: There's some odd funk in the nose up front. The aroma is mostly orange, citrus, spices and wheat, but there's this lingering off-putting funkiness that I don't think is intentional.

Taste: Luckily, the taste is much less funky. Nice, easy wheat beer flavor with lots of citrus. Not a bad representation of the style.

Mouthfeel: It's on the thin side of normal.

Overall: I'm thankful for the ubiquity of Blue Moon because it means bars and restaurants that lack for beer options will likely have at least one palatable option. Certainly not my favorite wheat beer, but it's decent.

As a new beer drinker, this is the first I've ever tried that had me saying, "wow, I actually really like this." Had it served in a pint glass with an orange slice, the only thing I didn't like was the slight funky odor. Until I find something I like better, this will be my go-to when available.

4.5/5  rDev +32.7%

My winter beer I often drink when snowboarding. Tastes pretty good with a slice of orange.

Chick beer. Its a beverage for women.

2.75/5  rDev -18.9%

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

3.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Appearance - Light but cloudy orange body with a big head that went down slowly.

Smell - The yeast is there, but it's almost overwhelmed by the huge spicy sweet aromas of strong coriander, white pepper, and some citrusy fruits. I can also pick out a lemon peel (not the pulp) and fresh cilantro.

Taste - Surprisingly light. The traditional yeast body and sweet finish are overwhelmed again by the afore-mentioned spiciness. They missed the style, IMO.

Mouthfeel - There's some good carbonation in there, but it's not crisp enough to impress.

Drinkability - Not drinkable at all. I was highly disappointed in this offering from Coors.

Update - It's been seven years since my initial review so thought I'd give this one another go as a few people in the office have been talking about it. The coriander really does overkill everything else at the nose and although I wouldn't say that it overwhelmed the taste it certainly is the dominant flavor. The carbs are there but it's overly flat but I was able to get most of it down this time so bumped the rating a bit.

2.75/5  rDev -18.9%

3.16/5  rDev -6.8%

On tap at many different restaurants, often served with a slice of orange. The beer holds a thick looking, opaque golden-orange which actually looks quite nice, with not much head to speak of. It appears to have a solid body at first glance and looks like a very inviting witbier. Orange is the most prominent smell, backed up by a nice wheat and faint spice combination. It was hard to pick out any other fruits on the nose. The taste is pleasant - good amount of orange zest, citrus, mild spice, and lots of wheat. The body is a little to thick to be called thin, but not quite a "medium" body. The carbonation is nice and compliments the beer well.

For a mass-produced beer, Blue Moon is a solid choice. Although it's far from complex or breathtaking, it's a solid witbier when you're at a restaurant that doesn't have any regular craft beer choices.

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%

This is an opaque, banana color with a thin white head. Smells and taste very solid, but just super average and middle of the road for wit. I'm sure some folks would gasp to hear this, but I kind of consider this a benchmark of the style. All the elements are there, but subtley presented and very balanced. Its just really no-nonsense wit. I love Hoegaarden much as the next guy, but sometimes them flavors be wildin'.

1.55/5  rDev -54.3%

I started to review Blue Moon after the first time I tried it at a Smokey Bones barbecue restaurant, but I was convinced that I must have just gotten a glass from a bad batch. After trying it a second time I can understand why it is often served with a slice of orange in it. They have to do something to cover up the taste.

Blue Moon looked promising in the glass, but looks are deceiving. It lacked body, even for a witbier. There are much better wheat beers out there.

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%

3.58/5  rDev +5.6%

Blue Moon.

A- Nice appearance of a slight orange fluid with a quick falling head that turns into a yeasty looking layer of tight foam on the top of the beer. Very little lacing is left on glass.

S- Excellent scent of spices upfront. First is coriander followed by the orange zest. Grainy wheat smell is there.

T- Refreshing wheat flavor pushes this beer beyond any other macro wheat out there. Spices are first in taste, mild but effective refeshment. Finishes with fresh but mild hop and oat kick.

M- Dances over the taste buds with low carbonation that compliments the smooth nature of this beer.

Very drinkable and a first choice when I go to a bar looking for a good american pitcher.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

3.9/5  rDev +15%

A: Poured into a pint glass producing an abundant white head, quickly giving way to just a thin white ring. No real lacing to note. The color is kinda cool with a hazy bright yellow.

S: There is something sharp in the nose, not necessarily bad but it is something different than you might find in other beers. It's sort of citrus in nature but not in the way you might describe hops.

T: Rather smooth with a light but sharp lemony citrus flavor. There is a light flavor of spice too, perhaps coriander or something similar. Initially finishes quick with a bit of hop bite in the aftertaste but there is a minor residual sweetness that hangs around a bit longer.

M&D: The carbonation is relatively light but enough to be spry on the tongue and that certainly adds additional character to the citrus and spice flavor.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company