Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Ratings: 6,141 | Reviews: 1,655
Reviews by berlinabb:
3.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange gold with a nice one-and-half-inch head. Lacing minimal. Pretty heavy carbonation.

Aroma: There's some odd funk in the nose up front. The aroma is mostly orange, citrus, spices and wheat, but there's this lingering off-putting funkiness that I don't think is intentional.

Taste: Luckily, the taste is much less funky. Nice, easy wheat beer flavor with lots of citrus. Not a bad representation of the style.

Mouthfeel: It's on the thin side of normal.

Overall: I'm thankful for the ubiquity of Blue Moon because it means bars and restaurants that lack for beer options will likely have at least one palatable option. Certainly not my favorite wheat beer, but it's decent.

2.74/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Had to rate, i wanted a true list of beers I've had. Tasty beer, but once you get into true Belgians and craft beer you probably won't drink this again.

4.48/5  rDev +31.8%

Once upon a time I was convinced that I hate beer. Surely this sentiment originates from high school, when I snuck downstairs to search the parents' liquor cabinet; or I stole a Hoegaarden from the most recent barbecue. I hated every single "adult" drink I tried, and when I turned 21, I assumed my tastes had not changed. And beer, I thought, is the worst of them all---the nastiest, the throat-closingest, the gut-wringingest. At least I can choke the rum down.

Then I actually TRIED some, five years later. Thinking I was a real tough lot at first, I went for some of the hardest stuff the liquor store had in stock: a douplebock, and an imperial red. The red was okay, but I had to chug the bock, convincing myself the buzz at least might be worth it. In short, my first LEGAL experience with beer was not a pleasant one.

It's one week later. I'm browsing for a bottle of whiskey, or perhaps brandy. ("I'll try everything once," I adventurously promised myself.) I see a six-pack of Blue Moon on one of the shelves. Images inundate my head; namely of a certain Mexican restaurant chain, which I believed at the time to be related to the beer. This, I assured myself, would be the last one I tried; if I hate it, then I suppose I'm just not a beer guy. But lo and behold...

Imagine if someone kidnapped oranges and wheat off the street, locked them up in his basement, and forced them to have sex at gunpoint for his own sick amusement. The resulting rape-spawn was named Blue Moon. The color: orange. The smell: wheat. The taste: wheat and orange. The first time I tried it the initial taste seemed to be like an ordinary, nasty, bitter beer. (Of course I've tasted much bitterer by now, and thoroughly enjoyed it.) But then the aftertaste kicks in; the bready, yeasty, biscuity aftertaste. Lord of lords. This, right here, is the beer that convinced me I like beer.

"Do you still love me, baby?" she coos nervously into my ear, worried that her Coors upbringing is seeping its way into my heart; that I think she's some kind of cheap whore because of her past, and I'll abandon her like every other guy. Yet every time I give the same reply.

As a new beer drinker, this is the first I've ever tried that had me saying, "wow, I actually really like this." Had it served in a pint glass with an orange slice, the only thing I didn't like was the slight funky odor. Until I find something I like better, this will be my go-to when available.

4.78/5  rDev +40.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beer snobs will always hate that which is mass produced. Yet Blue Moon never disapoints. I've tried numerous Witbiers over the past 12 months, but I always find my way back to Blue Moon.
Good starting place for the uninitiated.

4.57/5  rDev +34.4%

Very refreshing on a nice sunny day

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

My winter beer I often drink when snowboarding. Tastes pretty good with a slice of orange.

Chick beer. Its a beverage for women.

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Great whitbier, very smooth, not too much citrus. Don't care if it's not craft--it's smooth and, hey, it's alright.

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass.

A: Hazy Light orange. Thin white head with a small ring of foam left. Visible carbonation.
S: Orange, lemongrass, a little mustiness, a hint of spice, and yeast.
T: Orange with a hint of dry spice. Wheat malt base doesn't come through as overly strong. Yeasty. Tastes like watered down orange juice.
M: Spicyness on the palate. Creamy texture. Fruity aftertaste.
O: Refreshing, but the taste is different than most beers. I'm not much into wheats, so it's not my favorite.

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

Appearance - Light but cloudy orange body with a big head that went down slowly.

Smell - The yeast is there, but it's almost overwhelmed by the huge spicy sweet aromas of strong coriander, white pepper, and some citrusy fruits. I can also pick out a lemon peel (not the pulp) and fresh cilantro.

Taste - Surprisingly light. The traditional yeast body and sweet finish are overwhelmed again by the afore-mentioned spiciness. They missed the style, IMO.

Mouthfeel - There's some good carbonation in there, but it's not crisp enough to impress.

Drinkability - Not drinkable at all. I was highly disappointed in this offering from Coors.

Update - It's been seven years since my initial review so thought I'd give this one another go as a few people in the office have been talking about it. The coriander really does overkill everything else at the nose and although I wouldn't say that it overwhelmed the taste it certainly is the dominant flavor. The carbs are there but it's overly flat but I was able to get most of it down this time so bumped the rating a bit.

3.16/5  rDev -7.1%

On tap at many different restaurants, often served with a slice of orange. The beer holds a thick looking, opaque golden-orange which actually looks quite nice, with not much head to speak of. It appears to have a solid body at first glance and looks like a very inviting witbier. Orange is the most prominent smell, backed up by a nice wheat and faint spice combination. It was hard to pick out any other fruits on the nose. The taste is pleasant - good amount of orange zest, citrus, mild spice, and lots of wheat. The body is a little to thick to be called thin, but not quite a "medium" body. The carbonation is nice and compliments the beer well.

For a mass-produced beer, Blue Moon is a solid choice. Although it's far from complex or breathtaking, it's a solid witbier when you're at a restaurant that doesn't have any regular craft beer choices.

3.56/5  rDev +4.7%

This is an opaque, banana color with a thin white head. Smells and taste very solid, but just super average and middle of the road for wit. I'm sure some folks would gasp to hear this, but I kind of consider this a benchmark of the style. All the elements are there, but subtley presented and very balanced. Its just really no-nonsense wit. I love Hoegaarden much as the next guy, but sometimes them flavors be wildin'.

1.6/5  rDev -52.9%

I started to review Blue Moon after the first time I tried it at a Smokey Bones barbecue restaurant, but I was convinced that I must have just gotten a glass from a bad batch. After trying it a second time I can understand why it is often served with a slice of orange in it. They have to do something to cover up the taste.

Blue Moon looked promising in the glass, but looks are deceiving. It lacked body, even for a witbier. There are much better wheat beers out there.

3.57/5  rDev +5%

Blue Moon.

A- Nice appearance of a slight orange fluid with a quick falling head that turns into a yeasty looking layer of tight foam on the top of the beer. Very little lacing is left on glass.

S- Excellent scent of spices upfront. First is coriander followed by the orange zest. Grainy wheat smell is there.

T- Refreshing wheat flavor pushes this beer beyond any other macro wheat out there. Spices are first in taste, mild but effective refeshment. Finishes with fresh but mild hop and oat kick.

M- Dances over the taste buds with low carbonation that compliments the smooth nature of this beer.

Very drinkable and a first choice when I go to a bar looking for a good american pitcher.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

When it comes to a Witbier style, this is one of the best everyday beers. Consistent and available everywhere. My go to beer when my only other options are the standard domestics.

3.88/5  rDev +14.1%

A: Poured into a pint glass producing an abundant white head, quickly giving way to just a thin white ring. No real lacing to note. The color is kinda cool with a hazy bright yellow.

S: There is something sharp in the nose, not necessarily bad but it is something different than you might find in other beers. It's sort of citrus in nature but not in the way you might describe hops.

T: Rather smooth with a light but sharp lemony citrus flavor. There is a light flavor of spice too, perhaps coriander or something similar. Initially finishes quick with a bit of hop bite in the aftertaste but there is a minor residual sweetness that hangs around a bit longer.

M&D: The carbonation is relatively light but enough to be spry on the tongue and that certainly adds additional character to the citrus and spice flavor.

3.76/5  rDev +10.6%

A suprisingly good product from Coors. I had this one for 2 bucks a pint at the local watering hole and it was good stuff. It poured a cloudy gold color with a very nice head and nice lace was left on my glass. The beer did not have much smell but it did have was a very inviting, light and airy aroma of malt and corriander. I thought the flavor was great and very drinkable with its sweet front end that was tasty and not cloying at all. The beer was balanced out nicely with a small hop presence and a nice citrus twang. Overall, I'm impressed and would gladly order this one again.

4.73/5  rDev +39.1%

Great Beer with a great taste!

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Haven't had this one in quite a while...

Not really any head at all - maybe it was a bad pour by the bartender. Extremely cloudy & pale... almost opague. I like the way it looks.

Couldnt pick up too much of anything in the nose. I was in a bar.

This doesnt really taste like any other witbier I've had. Very fruity... lots of bananas, some citrus underneath. Something else in the taste makes me think of peaches, as well. Yum.

Mouthfeel is smooth enough. Not watery. Goes down easily.

Very high drinkability. I could have several without getting sick of it.

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

I regret that I never gave the beer the appreciation that it deserves. It's a delightful beer if you learn to appreciate it. I've enjoyed it with a number of dishes, but i prefer it with a strong tasting grilled chicken. I always use the signature orange peel to garnish.

2.52/5  rDev -25.9%

12 oz bottle - 3.2% ABW. Pours a very cloudy and murky golden almost brownish. It has a fizzy white head that quickly disappears completely.

The aroma is yeast, corriander, wheat and some musty fruitiness.

The flavor is pretty subdued for a wit. There's sweet malt and wheat with some yeast and spiciness but it's pretty far in the background. It has a slightly bitter finish. There's some unpleasant acidic mustiness. The mouthfeel is pretty watery and undercarbonated.

Overall, a decent offering by macro standards, but pretty substandard for a wit.

3.9/5  rDev +14.7%

Blue Moon pours yellow orange and hazy. A thick and creamy smooth head forms which leaves behind some lacing that slowly slides down the sides of the glass. The texture is smooth and a little oily. Its aroma is light with orange and wheat notes. The favor is a nice mix of sweet orange peel, coriander and wheat malts. The finish is wheaty and a little dry. Blue Moon is very refreshing and drinkable. I like to enjoy it with a slice of orange. [orange slice was not used for review]

4.38/5  rDev +28.8%

I really love this beer. When I drink one of these I picture myself on the bayou eating some crawdads and corn on the cob on a calm summer night. Ok anyway. This is a good wheat beer. You can get it anytime too which makes this a winner. It comes with a nice white creamy head and had a golden cloudy color. It is nicely carbonated. It has a nice citrus aroma. The flavor is very refreshing with the flavors of the orange peel and coriander giving it a zest and a spicy like aftertaste. It is an easy refreshing drinker.

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance- fizzy head, doesn't last long. leaves a decent lacing on my glass. translucent gold.

Smell- Coriander, oranges. hint of banana perhaps.

Taste- quite citrusy. coriander and clove. getting a very slight banana flavor. finishes with a hint of hops bitterness. if you let it get slightly warm (50 degrees F) the banana is more pronounced.

Mouthfeel- very light. barely carbonated

Drinkability- pretty good. reasonable ABV, the hops, citrus and spice flavors are all pretty tame.

In my opinion, while this isn't a great beer, it is decent and easy to find. One of the best macros you can buy.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company