Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Reviews: 1,539 | Hads: 6,233
Reviews by json83:

3.4/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange gold with a nice one-and-half-inch head. Lacing minimal. Pretty heavy carbonation.

Aroma: There's some odd funk in the nose up front. The aroma is mostly orange, citrus, spices and wheat, but there's this lingering off-putting funkiness that I don't think is intentional.

Taste: Luckily, the taste is much less funky. Nice, easy wheat beer flavor with lots of citrus. Not a bad representation of the style.

Mouthfeel: It's on the thin side of normal.

Overall: I'm thankful for the ubiquity of Blue Moon because it means bars and restaurants that lack for beer options will likely have at least one palatable option. Certainly not my favorite wheat beer, but it's decent. (749 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Had to rate, i wanted a true list of beers I've had. Tasty beer, but once you get into true Belgians and craft beer you probably won't drink this again. (152 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +30.6%

Once upon a time I was convinced that I hate beer. Surely this sentiment originates from high school, when I snuck downstairs to search the parents' liquor cabinet; or I stole a Hoegaarden from the most recent barbecue. I hated every single "adult" drink I tried, and when I turned 21, I assumed my tastes had not changed. And beer, I thought, is the worst of them all---the nastiest, the throat-closingest, the gut-wringingest. At least I can choke the rum down.

Then I actually TRIED some, five years later. Thinking I was a real tough lot at first, I went for some of the hardest stuff the liquor store had in stock: a douplebock, and an imperial red. The red was okay, but I had to chug the bock, convincing myself the buzz at least might be worth it. In short, my first LEGAL experience with beer was not a pleasant one.

It's one week later. I'm browsing for a bottle of whiskey, or perhaps brandy. ("I'll try everything once," I adventurously promised myself.) I see a six-pack of Blue Moon on one of the shelves. Images inundate my head; namely of a certain Mexican restaurant chain, which I believed at the time to be related to the beer. This, I assured myself, would be the last one I tried; if I hate it, then I suppose I'm just not a beer guy. But lo and behold...

Imagine if someone kidnapped oranges and wheat off the street, locked them up in his basement, and forced them to have sex at gunpoint for his own sick amusement. The resulting rape-spawn was named Blue Moon. The color: orange. The smell: wheat. The taste: wheat and orange. The first time I tried it the initial taste seemed to be like an ordinary, nasty, bitter beer. (Of course I've tasted much bitterer by now, and thoroughly enjoyed it.) But then the aftertaste kicks in; the bready, yeasty, biscuity aftertaste. Lord of lords. This, right here, is the beer that convinced me I like beer.

"Do you still love me, baby?" she coos nervously into my ear, worried that her Coors upbringing is seeping its way into my heart; that I think she's some kind of cheap whore because of her past, and I'll abandon her like every other guy. Yet every time I give the same reply. (2,150 characters)

As a new beer drinker, this is the first I've ever tried that had me saying, "wow, I actually really like this." Had it served in a pint glass with an orange slice, the only thing I didn't like was the slight funky odor. Until I find something I like better, this will be my go-to when available. (296 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +39.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beer snobs will always hate that which is mass produced. Yet Blue Moon never disapoints. I've tried numerous Witbiers over the past 12 months, but I always find my way back to Blue Moon.
Good starting place for the uninitiated. (227 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +33.2%

Very refreshing on a nice sunny day (35 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

My winter beer I often drink when snowboarding. Tastes pretty good with a slice of orange. (93 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Great whitbier, very smooth, not too much citrus. Don't care if it's not craft--it's smooth and, hey, it's alright. (115 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass.

A: Hazy Light orange. Thin white head with a small ring of foam left. Visible carbonation.
S: Orange, lemongrass, a little mustiness, a hint of spice, and yeast.
T: Orange with a hint of dry spice. Wheat malt base doesn't come through as overly strong. Yeasty. Tastes like watered down orange juice.
M: Spicyness on the palate. Creamy texture. Fruity aftertaste.
O: Refreshing, but the taste is different than most beers. I'm not much into wheats, so it's not my favorite. (518 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -19.8%

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%

3.03/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance - Light but cloudy orange body with a big head that went down slowly.

Smell - The yeast is there, but it's almost overwhelmed by the huge spicy sweet aromas of strong coriander, white pepper, and some citrusy fruits. I can also pick out a lemon peel (not the pulp) and fresh cilantro.

Taste - Surprisingly light. The traditional yeast body and sweet finish are overwhelmed again by the afore-mentioned spiciness. They missed the style, IMO.

Mouthfeel - There's some good carbonation in there, but it's not crisp enough to impress.

Drinkability - Not drinkable at all. I was highly disappointed in this offering from Coors.

Update - It's been seven years since my initial review so thought I'd give this one another go as a few people in the office have been talking about it. The coriander really does overkill everything else at the nose and although I wouldn't say that it overwhelmed the taste it certainly is the dominant flavor. The carbs are there but it's overly flat but I was able to get most of it down this time so bumped the rating a bit. (1,066 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -19.8%

3.16/5  rDev -7.9%

On tap at many different restaurants, often served with a slice of orange. The beer holds a thick looking, opaque golden-orange which actually looks quite nice, with not much head to speak of. It appears to have a solid body at first glance and looks like a very inviting witbier. Orange is the most prominent smell, backed up by a nice wheat and faint spice combination. It was hard to pick out any other fruits on the nose. The taste is pleasant - good amount of orange zest, citrus, mild spice, and lots of wheat. The body is a little to thick to be called thin, but not quite a "medium" body. The carbonation is nice and compliments the beer well.

For a mass-produced beer, Blue Moon is a solid choice. Although it's far from complex or breathtaking, it's a solid witbier when you're at a restaurant that doesn't have any regular craft beer choices. (854 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +3.8%

This is an opaque, banana color with a thin white head. Smells and taste very solid, but just super average and middle of the road for wit. I'm sure some folks would gasp to hear this, but I kind of consider this a benchmark of the style. All the elements are there, but subtley presented and very balanced. Its just really no-nonsense wit. I love Hoegaarden much as the next guy, but sometimes them flavors be wildin'. (419 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -53.4%

I started to review Blue Moon after the first time I tried it at a Smokey Bones barbecue restaurant, but I was convinced that I must have just gotten a glass from a bad batch. After trying it a second time I can understand why it is often served with a slice of orange in it. They have to do something to cover up the taste.

Blue Moon looked promising in the glass, but looks are deceiving. It lacked body, even for a witbier. There are much better wheat beers out there. (474 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -27.1%

3.57/5  rDev +4.1%

Blue Moon.

A- Nice appearance of a slight orange fluid with a quick falling head that turns into a yeasty looking layer of tight foam on the top of the beer. Very little lacing is left on glass.

S- Excellent scent of spices upfront. First is coriander followed by the orange zest. Grainy wheat smell is there.

T- Refreshing wheat flavor pushes this beer beyond any other macro wheat out there. Spices are first in taste, mild but effective refeshment. Finishes with fresh but mild hop and oat kick.

M- Dances over the taste buds with low carbonation that compliments the smooth nature of this beer.

Very drinkable and a first choice when I go to a bar looking for a good american pitcher. (694 characters)

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company