Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
3.4

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Reviews: 1,594 | Ratings: 6,616
Reviews by redjameskidd:
3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

Can be gotten in literally every bar in my area. I should mention, though, that more students in my area are becoming aware that this is a Coors product.

Appearance: In a glass, it looks exactly how it tastes: orange. Orange set in mouth of glass quickly discarded.

Taste: Orange. It tastes like orange. I can never taste anything else in this beer. It's almost an "orange-juice" sort of orange. I once heard someone compare it to pledge. I do know that the orange fruit they serve with it is extremely unecessary in terms of getting "orange flavor".

I will always have a soft spot for this beer though, because it was my gateway beer. This was the first beer I drank and liked drinking. I very rarely drink it now, finding it way too sweet and orangey, but I do appreciate its role in my beerevolution.

3.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange gold with a nice one-and-half-inch head. Lacing minimal. Pretty heavy carbonation.

Aroma: There's some odd funk in the nose up front. The aroma is mostly orange, citrus, spices and wheat, but there's this lingering off-putting funkiness that I don't think is intentional.

Taste: Luckily, the taste is much less funky. Nice, easy wheat beer flavor with lots of citrus. Not a bad representation of the style.

Mouthfeel: It's on the thin side of normal.

Overall: I'm thankful for the ubiquity of Blue Moon because it means bars and restaurants that lack for beer options will likely have at least one palatable option. Certainly not my favorite wheat beer, but it's decent.

3.82/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Ah, Blue Moon Belgian White. The bridge to craft beer for many, myself included, that people love to hate. I wonder, if this exact same product was put out by Hill Farmstead or Russian River, would it have higher scores? I could care less that this is a mass-produced Coors product. It succeeds, as far as I'm concerned, as a mass-market witbier.

Pours an inviting cloudy orange, smell is very mild -- yeasty, wheaty, and citric. The taste is milky, smooth, orange-dominant, very mild and easy-drinking. Clean aftertaste. Creamy mouth-feel. Pretty clearly not at the level of Hoegaarden, Allagash, or St. Bernardus, but better than a lot of small-batch American wits I've tried.

A solid choice when your options are limited. On tap practically everywhere and better than any American adjunct lager.

3.23/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

You know how weed is a gateway drug? Well this is my gateway beer! Before this beer, my only exposure to beer was stuff like Bud and PBR. I thought beer was piss water. Then I had a Blue Moon, which I still enjoy to this day. Way better than a shock top, very refreshing and tastes like orange juice. This beer made we want to explore the world of craft beer that I indulge in today, so thank you Blue Moon and Coors Brewing. I may not consider you a "great beer" now, but you served your purpose as my "gateway beer!"

2.74/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Had to rate, i wanted a true list of beers I've had. Tasty beer, but once you get into true Belgians and craft beer you probably won't drink this again.

2.51/5  rDev -26.2%

Puny withering head. Cloudy amber color. Aroma is of a rotten grain field. Flavour is bitter but not pleasantly so. Stale wheat thins and urine. Smooth and almost refreshing mouthfeel is murdered by unpleasant taste. Not a fan of wheats but I can appreciate one if its good but this is not. Would rather drink natty lite. Save your money and buy something better.

As a new beer drinker, this is the first I've ever tried that had me saying, "wow, I actually really like this." Had it served in a pint glass with an orange slice, the only thing I didn't like was the slight funky odor. Until I find something I like better, this will be my go-to when available.

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Even coming from a macro brew, Blue Moon is definitely a decent beer. Most bars usually have it on tap and for its mass production, it's not bad at all. Easy gateway into craft beers for some people. Easy to drink, enough citrus taste, and an overall crisp finish.

4.78/5  rDev +40.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beer snobs will always hate that which is mass produced. Yet Blue Moon never disapoints. I've tried numerous Witbiers over the past 12 months, but I always find my way back to Blue Moon.
Good starting place for the uninitiated.

4.57/5  rDev +34.4%

Very refreshing on a nice sunny day

Flat with an unpalatable, nauseatingly sweet taste profile. Unlike most beer this one gets worse the more you drink it. Generally, not a fan of the coriander/orange taste profile in my beer.

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

My winter beer I often drink when snowboarding. Tastes pretty good with a slice of orange.

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%

I love this beer. It's Orange Soda Beer. I drink it all the time.

However, it helped me learn about other Witbiers', so it's served its purpose.

Coors makes this, their beer is atrocious, but they have a diamond here in a sea of garbage.

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass.

A: Hazy Light orange. Thin white head with a small ring of foam left. Visible carbonation.
S: Orange, lemongrass, a little mustiness, a hint of spice, and yeast.
T: Orange with a hint of dry spice. Wheat malt base doesn't come through as overly strong. Yeasty. Tastes like watered down orange juice.
M: Spicyness on the palate. Creamy texture. Fruity aftertaste.
O: Refreshing, but the taste is different than most beers. I'm not much into wheats, so it's not my favorite.

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

Appearance - Light but cloudy orange body with a big head that went down slowly.

Smell - The yeast is there, but it's almost overwhelmed by the huge spicy sweet aromas of strong coriander, white pepper, and some citrusy fruits. I can also pick out a lemon peel (not the pulp) and fresh cilantro.

Taste - Surprisingly light. The traditional yeast body and sweet finish are overwhelmed again by the afore-mentioned spiciness. They missed the style, IMO.

Mouthfeel - There's some good carbonation in there, but it's not crisp enough to impress.

Drinkability - Not drinkable at all. I was highly disappointed in this offering from Coors.

Update - It's been seven years since my initial review so thought I'd give this one another go as a few people in the office have been talking about it. The coriander really does overkill everything else at the nose and although I wouldn't say that it overwhelmed the taste it certainly is the dominant flavor. The carbs are there but it's overly flat but I was able to get most of it down this time so bumped the rating a bit.

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

3.16/5  rDev -7.1%

On tap at many different restaurants, often served with a slice of orange. The beer holds a thick looking, opaque golden-orange which actually looks quite nice, with not much head to speak of. It appears to have a solid body at first glance and looks like a very inviting witbier. Orange is the most prominent smell, backed up by a nice wheat and faint spice combination. It was hard to pick out any other fruits on the nose. The taste is pleasant - good amount of orange zest, citrus, mild spice, and lots of wheat. The body is a little to thick to be called thin, but not quite a "medium" body. The carbonation is nice and compliments the beer well.

For a mass-produced beer, Blue Moon is a solid choice. Although it's far from complex or breathtaking, it's a solid witbier when you're at a restaurant that doesn't have any regular craft beer choices.

3.56/5  rDev +4.7%

This is an opaque, banana color with a thin white head. Smells and taste very solid, but just super average and middle of the road for wit. I'm sure some folks would gasp to hear this, but I kind of consider this a benchmark of the style. All the elements are there, but subtley presented and very balanced. Its just really no-nonsense wit. I love Hoegaarden much as the next guy, but sometimes them flavors be wildin'.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company