Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,532 | Hads: 6,198

The difference between this and Shock Top is almost indiscernible. Absolutely delicious on tap, the only way to drink it. The only item I might say is different is this one may be ever so slightly more creamy.

Will continue to purchase and drink from time to time. (266 characters)

My all time favorite mainstream beer! I can never go wrong with Blue Moon!

It has a perfect dark golden color to it. The taste is amazing! A mixture of sweet and grain (Citrus and wheat). Goes down very smoothly. It's smells very good as well.

It's a must have. I always keep a few in my fridge! (297 characters)

Blue Moon was the beer that introduced me to "alternative beers" (I won't use the word craft since it is a Coors beer :-). I have to be honest, I LOVE this beer. I love the crispness of witbier, and the orange flavor is wonderful. For a while this was all I drank, but then had to mix some things up with red beers, lagers and other whites. I am not a huge fan of Coors american adjunct, but I think they hit the nail on the head with Blue Moon! (445 characters)

i have to list 250 characters? gah!
i love this beer. i don't care what people say. "uhhh it's made by coors"-"uhhh too much orange taste". aaahhhh go screw!
i drink this stuff all day and i never get tired of it. one day i took a sip of budweiser, spat it out, and yelled "what is i this shite?! get me a blue mooon!" (319 characters)

this is my favorite beer, its a cloudy look means its a good wheat beer. it goes down very smooth. it had a unique smell to it so you can tell its blue moon. you get less of a head hen non wheat beers. it is a great beer for a good price. the main thing to remember when drinking blue moon is to have an orange slice with it (324 characters)

i gave this beer 5's all across the board because it definitly deserves it. blue moons apperance, smell, and taste is the perfect match for me. its got that perfect dark color, with that strong taste which hints at orange at the end. also i think the best way to drink this beer is from bottle or tap, when drinking from can all the spices at the bottom dont get mixed very well. (379 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +44.9%

Look: Very Orange-y color
Smell: orange
Taste: orange, deliciously crisp citrus flavors, light
Aftertaste: orange stays with you for a bit
Overall: I absolutely love this beer, no matter what season it just reminds me of late summer/early fall. absolutely my favorite- tastes better from the tap (295 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +44.9%

Appearance- Pale golden color with a nice white head that disappears quickly. Very little lacing.

Smell- Wheat with floral notes and a hint of citrus.

Taste- Wheat malt with a touch of orange and a small hint of spice. Very well balanced.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied and crisp. Average amount of carbonation.

Overall- Great beer. This became my go-to beer this summer. The orange flavor compliments the beer perfectly. (418 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +44%

Appearance is a cloudy, pale straw color, typical for a wheat beer; a Pavlovian precursor to the aroma and flavor.

Aroma is best appreciated in a tulip glass which brings up the delicate nose of light fruits (pears, peaches, white grapes, oranges) combined with the earthy notes of coriander and grain, reminiscent of a Brut Champagne.

Taste follows the nose, with flavors of light fruits and a touch of earthy spice. It is sweeter than a Brut Champagne, but with the delicate sweetness of crisp grain rather than the cloying sweetness of a grape. No bitterness whatsoever.

The smooth body and mouthfeel of the light grain is a perfect compliment to the moderate carbonation; much better than any Champagne.

Overall this is outstanding when served in a tulip glass after dinner when you can pay attention to its delicate nose, flavor, and mouthfeel. It is still very good with dinner at a restaurant where it is typically served in a tall glass with a slice of orange on the rim. It is fine for a backyard barbeque, but most of its virtues would likely be missed. It is very similar to, but better than Champagne, thanks to its broader body and more complex flavor. It seems that every time I drink this beer I find something new and I want to give it a higher rating; the first time I tried it in a tulip glass was a game changer; I am now liking it more than St. Bernardus. (1,379 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +44%

I've already reviewed this beer in the bottle (reviewed on April 21, 2008). Well, Blue Moon is even better, and more delicious, on tap. Virtually every aspect of the beer is enhanced when ordering it on tap as opposed to drinking it out of the bottle. Definitely my choice of beer whenever I'm out for a drink and some eats. (324 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +43.4%

Blue Moon is definitely my new favorite beer. I bought a 6 pack as a treat, and I was instantly hooked. The flavor is like a mild orange-y taste, (though not as strong as Shock Top). You can easily swish the taste around in your mouth before swallowing, almost like smoking a fine cigar.

This isn't a good beer to get drunk on, mainly because of price issues, but it isn't too filling and very easy to drink.

I have had it served in a glass before at a pool hall which came with an orange slice I believe, this only added to the amazing taste. I would recommend this beer to anyone that can afford it. (603 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +40.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite beer by a large margin. I'm no deep beer aficionado so I can't pick it apart piece by piece but simply put it is a genuinely delicious beer that fits almost any occasion. I highly recommend tossing in an orange slice with it as well, it noticeably improves an already good flavor. (300 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +39.9%

On tap is the best way to have this beer. I feel happy every time I see it on tap and I'm happy to sat I see it in more and more locations.

It's great to see such a good beer taking on such popularity!

Have it with a slice of orange. The experience is the same as with the bottled version but more intense.

Sweetness into grain into spicy orange notes. Man I want one now! (378 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +39.4%

I have never seen anything like this before. It kind of looks much like a light apple cider in appearance. Has a cloudy golden pulp that can be seen with plenty of carbonation. Has a nice silky head that stays awhile. This stuff smells good and has a hint of citrus like orange peal. Felt good in my mouth and very nice chilled on a warm day but I do not mind having it on hand at all times. This was my first try off the beaten path of the other “usual suspects” that got me to try new things. It will continue to be one of my favorites. (540 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +39.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beer snobs will always hate that which is mass produced. Yet Blue Moon never disapoints. I've tried numerous Witbiers over the past 12 months, but I always find my way back to Blue Moon.
Good starting place for the uninitiated. (227 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +38.5%

I love this beer, its just as good in bottles. If I'm going to an Applebees/Charcoal Grill/Chilis type restaurant, I will order a couple of pints.

Pours a nice thick white head that stays sticky with exceptional lacing in the glass.
Hints of citrus, corriander and orange. Medium body, but not overpowering. Bronzy/orange in color.
Very aromatic, almost sweet flower like, however, a little over carbonated. This beer for me goes great with fried appetizers, or cheese and sausage. An excellent choice for an "americanized" wheat beer. (541 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +38.5%

Add a slice of orange, and that's some fine drinking there. Wheaty and fruity, but neither flavor really overwhelms the other. Yum! This is good winter beer! (157 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +38.5%

I could say "Mmm, a citrus explosion of sharp, protesting, but coagulating spectaculation."

But I wont.

This beer is incredibly good. Just short of the Belgian excellence that Sam Adams White Ale has achieved, but just short. My number two beer for beers that can purchased at the grocery store. A thick beer with exceptional tastate. (340 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +38.5%

Blue Moon holds a special place in the refrigerator of my heart. There is something that is very satisfying about sipping a blue moon with a squeezed orange slice floating around the rim.
This is one of the few beers that my girlfriend and I are both willing to share a pitcher of.
A rich and extremely smooth flavor that strongly hints of orange peels, backed with a faint note of hops. This beer is bright enough to enjoy on a hot summer day and rich enough for a cold winter evening.
In my opinion Blue Moon is the very best of the major brand's "craft beer" niche. The fact that Blue Moon is a main stream beer does not detract from it's obvious quality and pleasant attributes. Blue Moon is a work of fine quality and artistic craftsmanship. (746 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +38.5%

One of the best American wheat beers on the market! This beer is drinkable in any season. You can add a small slice of orange to bring out the citrus of the beer, or drink it straight from the bottle. This beer has the right balance of spices and flavors, not overpowering or underwhelming. (290 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +38.2%

Really like this beer. It is only the second wheat brew I have had but I actually really like this one. It is gold in color but very cloudy. The smell is very nice with wheat and oats. The mouthfeel is great very even and smooth which gives it an superior drinkability! (269 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +37.6%

A - Dark amber. A clear glass shows off the carbonation well. Not much head

S - Flowery with citrus tones

T - Same as the smell, but with a malty undertone

M - A bit heavier than water, doesnt coat the inside of the mouth and is very crisp.

D - Very drinkable. I could easily drink several of these in a night. (314 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +36.7%

Beer tasting at the Shack.

However, a story comes with this tasting. This August, I judged beer at an event (California Brewers Festival) where master beer judges gave this beer BEST IN SHOW. I couldn't believe it. A fricking Coors beer!?! Inconceivable. I was seething with anger. I had pictures of the final judges on my dart board.

So with an open mind, I tried this beer. Only before I tried it, the owner of The Shack informed me it was reformulated to actually resemble a real Belgian beer. Not only that, it came with the brewfest labelling (clean bottle with paper and rubber band) as I spotted a judge in attendance.

A - Hazy yellow, with heaps of foam, that took its darn time to subside.

S - Lots of coriander and clove. Some malt backing with hints of orange. Also quite a bit of orangy esters from the yeast. Could be they overpitched, but it made the beer smell better.

T - Wafts of coriander and orange immediately cling to the taste buds with hints of hop earthiness and a mellow clove finish.

M - I am not sure this is a Coors product. I had a Dunkelweizen from a Miller offshoot that was excellent, so this shouldn't come as too much of a shock. Very well balanced.

D - Give me a hammock and a six-pack. Beer judges: This one was worthy of the final table, am sorry for doubting you. Their reformulation: awesome. Seriously. Puts Allagash White and others in their place. (1,398 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +36.4%

This by far is the best of any brewed by Coors Brewing Company. Looks excellent. Smells really fresh and crisp. Taste and mouthful are really good. No words really to describe its taste. Drinkability is good. Could go through a six pack feeling good. For some reason this beer reminds me of winter and winterfresh gum in taste and appearance (341 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +36.4%

So far, my favorite beer. The color is a cloudy orange and you can see some white in it. The head is beautiful and dissipates in just the right amount of time. The smell is very light and the aroma isn't overwhelming with alcohol. You can smell a bit of the citrus. Orange slice isn't required, but definitely addes to the taste. You can squeeze it or just let it drop in a gradually absorb itself in the beer. The taste was very light on my tongue. Very smooth going into my mouth and the citrus hint comes out. I didn't have to force it down like with some beers. It glides down. Overall a great beer with great taste. If you're more of a social drinker and like wines or mixed drinks, this is definitely a beer you should try. (729 characters)

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company