Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,143 | Reviews: 1,655
3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

Ther only thing that I foind worth hanging my hat on for this beer is the appearance. It is relatively murky and cloudy. The aroma is a little weak when it comes to a Belgian. The flavor of this beer offers little to get excited about, although it does have some hints of spice and fruit. Worth a try, but do not try too hard.

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

Gauzy yellow-amber with a bone white head that looks soft and doesn't leave any lace. Beer color: nailed it. Head/lace: missed nail, hit thumb. The nose has a trace amount of Belgian yeastiness. It's spicy-earthy, but a musty graininess is still evident. Not bad, not good.

The flavor doesn't cut it. The beer tastes like a macro lager that is trying desperately to be something else, namely a Belgian wit. I'm having a hard time mustering up the enthusiasm to break this down. Let's just say that it's a grain-like malty, slightly sour, mildly sweet beer with the suggestion of spice. The body/mouthfeel is average at best. On a good note, it doesn't lose focus at the end of the mouthful or at the end of the bottle.

Blue Moon isn't offensive, but that's hardly a recommendation. I will say that it's the best Coors product--and maybe even the best BMC product--that I've had yet.

3.02/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured a cloudy yellow, with a half-finger white head that dissipated quickly, leaving no lacing. Scents of yeast, band-aids and slight citrus notes. Flavors of yeast, wheat malt, oats and a slight hint of spices. Mouthfeel is rather undercarbonated for the style and slightly slick. It's the best macro brew offering available everywhere, but it's not craft, and it certainly can't compete with the craft witbiers and hefeweizens of the world.

3.02/5  rDev -11.2%

Blue moon is a sell out. Without an orange it tastes like shit, I used to think it was a good beer and now it's just ass

3.02/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours golden and cloudy with an uncharacteristically wimpy head.

Some faint spice aromas. Also some grassiness there.

Sweet tasting, with a bit of spiciness. Some decent yeast maltiness in the aftertaste.

Medium body, not real drinkable, wouldn't want to session a beer like this.

3.02/5  rDev -11.2%

A - Nothing out of the ordinary. Cloudy, murky deep orange with decent trace. Head was not that great.

S - Not too much going on here just malts, had no realy essence of hops anywhere. Traces of spices although I would say minimal.

T - Not too bad if you are looking for an all pale malt brew. That is all that was there, good ol' malts. Decent wheat essence as well.

M - Light to medium body with high carbonation. Not too bad, guess it fits this beer fine.

D - Pretty good level of drinkability here. I would suggest always taking the optional orange in there. This brew needs it, too bland without it. Adds a nice authentic citrusy effect to it. Definitely better whites out there, easily, but for the availability and the price it is usually a better choice than most other macros.

3.02/5  rDev -11.2%

Two pint glasses for price of one at Ground Round. Thin film and collar supported by beading - heads never made it to the table from the tap.

Unfiltered turbid pale apricot color. The citrus, and spice, witbier aroma got my taste buds salvating.

I hung the lemon wedge alongside of another on the second glass. Belgium yeast and lactic acid contribute to the aroma.

According to "Sky and Telescope"*, the traditional definition of a Blue Moon is the third Full Moon in a season which has four Full Moons. Compilers of almanacs such as the Maine Farmer's Almanac would use a coloured symbol to denote this third Full Moon, hence the name.

Starts with fruit taste , looses interest with a thin mouthfeel and water middle although helped by a supporting CO2 texture and some tartness (carbondated water) ending with lactic acid and dry pucker on the back of the tongue and esophagus. Hops lost in this lactic aftertaste.

Mostly clean tasting spicey fruit flavors keep you drinking it. But each mouthful gives the same old same old disappointing thought of some other more desirable Belgium beers. Second glass sat getting warm and flat as the food finally reached the table.

Pairs with cod fish but not as well with a rueben sandwitch.
I would drink this ONCE in a Blue Moon but never twice!

*http://www.obliquity.com/astro/seasonal.html

3.02/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours a nice cloudy straw yellow, with a head that quickly dissipates. The aroma is light on the citrus and a bit of spice. The taste is very smooth with a mellow orange flavor. Overall, this is not a bad beer, especially considering it's brewed by Coors. It's problem is that it is just kind of "blah".

3.02/5  rDev -11.2%

The head disappeared pretty quickly. The Smell was pretty good, Wheat, citrus fruits and coriander. The taste and the mouth feel were, IMHO, a bit of a letdown in comparison to other witbiers. It felt as if they were watered down, the taste was very faint. This was a decent beer but, I'd rather have another witbier with more flavor.

3.01/5  rDev -11.5%

Ah...I again had the good ol' Zima of my youth, you know, the flat sprite/malt liquor taste that underaged drinkers can handle. The wretched taste of this sewage brought me back to those good old days of yore.

If any of you have read my posts before, I try really hard to rate beers within thier style. Thustly, even a lowly BMC product can get a good grade since they are typically in the Macro Light Lager class...just look at the competition. In this particular case, I have never had a Witbier and hope this is not a good example.

A-Honey colored and very cloudy.

S-Gross. Citrus, grass, lowtide and bongwater.

T-Gross. Citrus, grass, lowtide and bongwater.

M-With each mouthfull I swallowed too quickly to get the mouthfeel so to avoid gagging.

D-I would rather drink cat piss assuming that it would taste much better.

Update: I thought this review was funny, so i am leaving the text the same. I had another, and while I still don't like it, I don't hate it as much. I updated my numbers.

3.01/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a bottle and looked pretty good. Very cloudy with a nice copper/amber color. Bright is a good word to describe it. Good white head that lasts.

Smell is of coriander and orange... typical... a little off though...
Some hints of lemon and even a little woody... not much though.

Taste is pretty average. Some citrus and a lot of what doesn't taste real. Again, not bad... just lacking something.

This beer doesn't have a character. It seems to mean well, but can't fit in with others of its kind.

If someone handed me a Blue Moon... I'd drink it. If there were other choices of this style and I was in the mood... I wouldn't purchase it. Thanks.

3.01/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Appearance: Cloudy yellow-gold, big head.

Smell: Yeasty, wheat.

Taste & Feel: Very slick on the first impression. Wheat and orange come through but seems a little watery. Spices very minimal.

Comments: Received as a gift so wrote up a review. I've had this beer on tap before, it's a decent last resort if I am not in the mood for a light beer but nothing craft is available. It's ok, but this bottle really had nothing going on beyond the wheat and orange, no witbier spices to speak of.

I used to love this beer when it first arrived on the scene, and still have one from time to time. But after Coors bought the company, I've moved on to other Witbiers that I like a little better.

Appearance: Cloudy golden color with a nice thick head that doesn't retain long and leaves little lacing. I enjoy an orange slice with this beer.

Smell: Unmistakable scents of orange, coriander and yeast.

Taste: Sweet, malty, yeasty with the up front orange peel and coriander flavors that make this a unique beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium to high carbonation, a bit thin and watery.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink and a decent American version of a Belgian Witbier, but if given the choice I'd go for a couple of other Witbiers first, if possible.

I read Todd's review of this one and I really can't add much more, but I will.

First off, lets ignore that this is a Coors/macro product, OK? I know it, you know it, there you have it. Rather, lets calibrate it via to the other two Wit's that I've had recently.

Big spice/citrus, right off the bat, and I threw the orange it was served with to the side...none of that, thanks. I have to say that overall the spicing it way too much, but not so overpowering as to lose it all. Yeasty and very cloudy, this is the most opaque I've had of the 3 wits in scope. Not a sipper, this one like to be consumed in glugs.

In the positive column, the carb is great, very little residual lacing but plenty on the tongue while being minimal in head. FYI, this is another good reason to throw that orange away right off the bat.

This is the one that your friends can buy at the corner store. This is the one that many will base their Belgian experience off of first; and it could be worse. It isn't bad, no matter what I want to say about it ( and I *like* Coors generally, BTW).

Big peppercorn/curacao/etc. This is not a lightly spiced beer at all. I wish that it were a little (ok, a lot) less spiced and more malty, but I think this is a play to the crowd. That being said, it is drinkable and enjoyable once you've gotten past the imbalance inherent in their formulation.

Average, but for a macro/micro I have to give them more credit than I honestly wanted to. /me concedes

Has a slightly orange flavor while still tasting like beer.

This beer is the absolute definition of "average." Nothing is offensive, nothing is particularly good. It's a shame that the mainstream thinks of this when they think of American craft, but oh well. The name is fitting because I'll only drink this once in a blue moon, when nothing else is available but the standard BMCs.

A - Hazy golden-orange with a small fizzy white head. Sometimes an orange slice ends up on top of this whether you like it or not.

S - Wheat, grain, orange peel, and mild spices.

T - Not too exciting. Rough wheat, pale malt, grain, breadiness, orange, and coriander. Fairly bland. An orange slice actually adds to this because there's not too much flavor in it. Belgian wit this is not.

M - Light-to-medium body. A little harsh for the style, but not too bad.

D - While the style itself tends to be pretty drinkable due to how light it is, this beer does not fare too well in comparison to others in the style. The roughness of the wheat actually hinders the drinkability a bit.

Pours golden orange, rather hazy, with a frothy single finger head of foam.

Orange zest, some spice, and biscuit like malt aromas.

Much less spice in the mouthful, orange, biscuity malts, and wheat.

Light-medium bodied, medium carbonation, soft, sweet, with some citrus bite.

Overall, this isn't going to blow you away, but it's everywhere and worth a shot if you are feeling cautious. This beer will give you a hangover for ages, so limit yourself.

Poured from a 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a cloudy murky dirty yellow color. Good 2 finger fluffy white head that dies away into a smaller version of itself. Leaves the typical BMC style lacing on the sides of the glass. I notice this thing is hugely carbonated.

S- Smells burnt and funky. Wheat comes through as the forefront aroma in the nose followed by a slight citrus smell. Some alspice is added to this I think. Doesn't smell too appealing but then again Oberon this year smelled right about the same I think!

T- Very wheaty right off the get go. Huge citrus taste along with the wheat like there is a orange in there. It seems a little watered down to me. There is some spices in this that stand out in the middle of this. The ending of this beer though is watery.

M- Light mouthfeel on this beer. Very carbonated and almost ruins the style. The beer rushes across the palate and fizzes here and there along the way to the back of the throat. Leaves a strong wheat taste on the tongue. This beer is very watery feeling in the mouth.

D- This beer is drinkable because of the watered down factor. I would drink this instead of the typical BMC offerings if I had to drink. This is a average beer to say the least but you can put them back if you really wanted to. This also is a good beer to have someone try if they want something other than the pilsners of BMC.

Draft: Poured a hazy orangey color ale with a small foamy had with average retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of sugary wheat malt with light bubblegum notes. Taste is bit too sweet for the style with some bubblegum notes. Body is about average with good carbonation. Not bad too not spiced enough with too much residual sugar.

Grabbed a six pack of this because I hadn't had it in a while. All right here we go.

Poured into a pilsner glass, good bold orange in color with a nice head that faded rather quickly.

As for aroma, as noted by others Blue Moon does have a kinda funny smell to it. Funky is an accurate enough term.

Taste: This beer tastes descent. Very light, very easy wheat beer. The kind of beer you take to the beach or lake and make a day of it.

Overall, I like it. You can garnish this beer with an orange slice, but honestly there's enough citrus in it to keep me happy. Depends what your fancy is. I could take a 12 pack of this to the beach on a sunny day and be satisfied for sure.

I wasn't a fan, although I can see that others didn't mind as much. you do get some of those witbier flavors and aromas, decent feel, but falls into that category of beers I'm not going back to.

I will have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised by this beer the first time I tried it. Well moderated sweetness and rather fresh spices. For someone who hasn't sampled many witbiers, this is certainly a good starter version. While I'm no more a fan of Coors than the average bear, at least they have put out something other than a bland fizzy beer which will, hopefully, lead at least a few folks to explore further.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a weiss glass. No orange slice.

Appearance - Cloudy medium yellow, 1 inch foamy head, decent lacing down most of the glass.

Smell - Biscuit notes, yeasty, and touch of citrus. I found a hint of roasted marshmallow as well.

Taste - Crisp, yeasty, bit of tanginess, balanced minimal bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel - Nice and round.

Drinkability - Refreshing on a summer day.

Overall, sometimes the best option when you are out at a bar. But it didn't grab me as being something that I would go out of my way to find.

Poured from a bottle, initially with a good head that disappeared very quickly, wheat aroma with a touch of orange. I've drank Blue Moon here in the UK both from tap and now in bottle, i can't say i find the beer offensive but as a wheat beer i find it bland and uninteresting, i wouldn't go out of my way to drink it except for the fact that someone bought me three bottles for Christmas.

The label on my UK bottle says brewed by BMBC Toronto, Canada (and imported to the UK by Coors), there's no mention of Golden, Colorado anywhere on the bottle.

Overall as a beer it's neither here or there, drinkable but not memorable.

Appearance: Pours a hazy yellow-brown with considerable suspended sediment. The large white head unfortunately retains quite poorly, completely disappearing in a minute or so.

Aroma: Yeast is quite prominent in the aroma, as well as strong wheat malts, which together deliver a bready character.

Taste: Opens with a slightly lemony note and faint cloves. Solid, slightly tart wheat notes carry the taste throughout. Finishes with a mildly sweet note and a faint bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Soft and fairly full, with a slight sting of carbonation.

Drinkability: A passable summer beer, but for the style, its nowhere near the quality of Celis White or the superb Hoegarden. Far better than most Coors' products, but much better Wits can be had as well.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company