Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

good

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
3.2/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, served with a blood orange garnish.

A: Burnt orange color, hints of amber, almost no head, with zero head retention.

S: Smells nice actually, clovey and some citrus (my orange came in after the review). Very pleasant light aroma.

T: Kinda bland on flavor, almost banana like (the orange really helps this beer). Not too bad, but VERY light on flavor.

M: A little too carbonated for me, but other than the bubbly texture, it goes down really smoothly, it's one saving grace.

O: It's not bad, not great, and its quite affordable and widely available since its a Coors beer. I certainly don't mind having this on draft at places with a poor beer menu.

kevanb, May 09, 2011

BenznBeer, Sep 14, 2014
3.2/5  rDev -5.9%

On tap at Old Chicago as part of Spring mini tour. Cloudy pour, with a decent sized head. Served with an orange as seems to be the trendy thing to do. To avoid scurvy I decided to eat the orange, but it didn't make it in my beer. Taste is not bad for a wit - hints of coriander and wheat. Enjoyable brew, but I wish people didn't call it a microbrew!

rowew, Apr 11, 2005

micharmony, Oct 01, 2014
3.2/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Blue Moon pours a golden color with a good sized head. There is a citrus like order to it thats is pretty unquie to blue moon. The taste is the same, it has a cirtuis like taste, and overall is unquie, and light. Even though its lighter I find it hard to drink a few of these, the taste becomes unpleasent after a while. Overall not a bad beer, and is very easy to find too.

vette2006c5r, Mar 14, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -5.9%

Last of a twelver, poured into a glass...

Nice foamy head for half a minute or so, proper wheat beer color of golden orange...

Light citrus scent, regular wheat beer flavor....

I like it, it's just not exceptional. Very refreshing, very drinkable, I would order it in a restuarant over many other choices but....

Guess I just don't have much to say about this one. Oh well, what's next?

PatronWizard, Aug 09, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance: Pale cloudy orange with a thin head.

Smell: sweet and citrus, actually quite pleasant.

Taste: Sweet and citrus, like an orange. Wheat taste resonates after a drink in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, heavy for a wheat, filling.

Drink: I won't buy it again, but it could be an alright summer beer at a bar with no choices. Worth trying.

Dusty278, Sep 17, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Blue Moon Belgian White and Killian's Irish Red are (in my opinion) in a completely different league than the rest of the Coors Brewing Company line of products. I must admit that Witbiers are not my favorite style, in fact I did not used to be much of a fan. Recently some better micros have come my way, and I have an open mind to the idea but it won't ever be my preferred style.

This beer pours an hazy yellow/orange. Small white fizzy head does not last long. Minimal lacing. It has a slight musky citrus smell. I got hints of subtle yeastiness and wheat in both the smell and the taste. The taste seems very straight foreword to me. Nice spices but not nearly the complexity of a Victory's Whirlwind Witbier. The simple straight foreword flavor probably does increase the marketability to the general macro drinking population. There really is nothing offensive about this beer (even though I don't find it overly interesting). I think it may be plenty refreshing on a hot day. It feels very bubbly and active in the mouth, but a bit empty (thin) at spots. It is crisp and refreshing. Given the brewer, it is much better than I expected, but I'm not going to go seeking it out on a regular basis. Overall; it’s an easily accessible, acceptable beer.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Jan 06, 2006

Best by 12/17

Poured clouded light yellow with a thin, fairly well-retained, white head.
The smell was thin, but inoffensive. Some hints at orange and coriander.
The taste was also thin, but inoffensive. A bit too watery. Orange and coriander were noticeable. The flavors didn't stick around too long.
It was mainly watery with a hint of refreshing creaminess. It's nothing special, a bit weak, pretty easy to drink and not bad. Nothing special, either.

jwc215, Aug 08, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

For a beer that i used to have so often, in leiu of BMC Lite products, it sure took me a damn while to finally sample another after begining to review brews late last year.

Pours a cloudy golden oranage color with a full frothy white head, but with little retention, ok lacing. Scent is a huge candied orange whiff with hints of corriander and white pepper. Taste follows scent with an almost cloyingly sweet candied orange flavor. Spices (corriander, white pepper) are there but do littl eto mask the sweetness. Needs any presence of grains or hops to balance it out. Lighter side of medium bodied, active carbonation, big aftertaste that lingers long. Overall, it tastes slightly too sweet and candied and needs grains to balance is out (see Alagash for help)

rfgetz, Nov 19, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Served in a chilled mug at The Tombs, complete with an orange slice.

Figured I'd revisit the past a bit and rock some Blue Moon (sans Platters). It pours a hazy orange straw topped by less than half a finger of white micro-foam (I blame the orange slice). The nose comprises wheat, coriander, and orange peel, all kinda weak, but still definitely wit-y. The taste follows along a similar vein, with notes of coriander, some cardamom, some light hoppy bitters, and a weird harsh orange/other citrus bite that leans toward lime territory. Were it not for that last part, this wouldn't be all that bad. The body is light, with a fizzy carbonation and a feel I can really only describe with the less-than-helpful term "wet". Overall, nowhere near a great wit, but they don't all have to be Oscar Wilde...it's still pretty drinkable...and nicely cheap.

TMoney2591, Jul 27, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance - Opaque Golden. Small, frothy head that disappeared quickly.
Smell - I practically dipped my nose in the beer trying to smell this one, not a strong aroma
Taste - Crisp and smooth, wheat and citrus
Mouthfeel - Again, crisp and smooth, carbonation
Overall - Not a bad beer. Not my favorite. I like my wheats to be a bit more wheat-y.

singtothesun, Jun 09, 2014
3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

A - light golden color, thin head that fades quickly, some lacing
S - smells fruity like peaches, roasted oats
T - Citrus, with roasted malty aftertaste
F - a little too carbonated, masks some of the taste, but to be expected from any brew made by coors.
O - Pretty good, not as good as some of their seasonals, but the orange/citrus hints add a lot to this beer.

Hendy011, Dec 16, 2012
3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from a bottle to a tumbler.

A: Poured a golden/orange color, hazy with a white head which dissipated very quickly. No lacing and barely any carbonation.

S: Small citrus notes, Lemongrass, and some wheat earthiness, albeit very faint.

T: Just like the nose, but more distant. Not much to say about that.

M: Medium-bodied, biscuity mouthfeel.

Notes: Do yourself a favor, don't add a slice of orange....it doesn't improve the taste.

lazjuarez, May 30, 2011
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A standard at most bars and liquor stores (speaking from CT). The color was a midly hazy yellow with a fizzy head that left pretty quickly. The smell was a lot of citrus and a nice amount of wheat. Unfortunately the wheat was overpowered in the taste by the citrus. Very tart beer. That being said though it was pretty refreshing for a summer day and pairs well with most bbq food. If you're having a party, I don't think anyone would be disappointed by this choice.

WhiteHillsStore, Jun 04, 2014
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

The body is a hazy yellow with orange tones at its core. About two fingers of white head that has decent retention and lacing.

The smell is all orange and orange peel. Pretty refreshing actually.

I always think of this beer as Coors light with some orange added, but that isn't really fair. The dominant odor, orange, controls the flavor also. However, the orange is not cloying or syrupy or overly sweet, which is nice. After the orange comes a slightly sweet taste that is the characteristic that reminds me a bit of Coors. A bit of wheat comes through after that. My main problems with this beer are that the yeast doesn't provide a complex flavor, and the wheat seems to be at war with a corny sweetness.

Mouthfeel is a tad light and tad over-carbonated I would say.

Pretty drinkable beer. Although I have my problems with it, I prefer it to most macros and it is a crowd pleaser among non-beer fans.

Hojaminbag, Jul 06, 2009

Bottle Dated Aug 06
Poured a really hazy yellow/orange with a soda like head that disappated leaving next to nothing behind

Decent nose, It strongly smells like apricots to me, a bit of spice and very slight citrus notes.

A somewhat muted palette, but not offending at all. The apricot like flavors are present again.

Strange body kind of watery, but a bit thicker than water with a heavier amount of carbonation than expected.

All in all not that bad a beer for something brewed by coors...as far as macro's go this one is pretty wonderful, beats the pants of most swill, but I wouldn't drop change on these to often and I'm glad I got a really good deal on this sixer.

DaggerEyes, Apr 14, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

I had this on draft at Pesce in Swatara, PA.
Served cool in a standard pint.
A - A slightly hazed golden w/ amber highlights and a thin white head. The head leaves random spots of lace.

S - A creamy wheat odor, like cereal w/ a tinge o' spice. A slightly sweet butterscotch smell that didn't seem to belong.

M - A mild medium bodied ale w/ creamy smoothness and moderate carbonation.

T - A gentle taste of almost milky wheat w/ light butterscotch flavor and a slightly nutty taste. There is a slight citrus that lingers in the background.

D - A very average wit, I can take it or leave it. I am not sure if the pint I had was the freshest as I have had it and enjoyed it slightly better in the bottle. It sometimes is the best beer available where I live, so I don't avoid it. All in all a fairly average wit, okay for summer quaffing.

Slatetank, Sep 20, 2007
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

It certainly reminds me of a wit, but it doesn't quite deliver. Thinner, weaker, taste and smell are less profound. Certainly drinkable, and better than the standard fare. Reminds me some of Michelob hefe. Good for what it is, but a rather pale imitation compared to the real thing. Seek out Allagash white, Hoogarden, or Unibroue Blanche De Chambly instead.

JohnnyDuvel, Apr 16, 2004
3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Cloudy gold with an orange glow and an adequate amount of white foam.

Aroma is sweet, perfumy orange with noticeable coriander and crackery wheat.

Taste is big on the sweet orange, which seems kind of artificial tasting and it overpowers what little flavor I get from the grainy wheat and coriander. Also, the finish is quite a bit sweeter and softer than some of the more authentic interpretations.

Blue Moon used to be a go to beer for me when I was at a bar that was unfriendly to craft beer. However, recently the orange character of the beer has become artificial tasting and much too prominent. Also, the sweetness really makes it tough for me to have more than one or two. I don't know for a fact that the recipe has changed, but it wouldn't surprise me since it comes from a corporate brewer, and they're always looking for cost cutting moves.

bump8628, Mar 04, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

I'm surprised something like this can come from Coors. A mid-range hefe/wit, Blue Moon is sweet and lemony. A little citrus and very, very mild gumball. Leaves a little grit on the teeth. A basic orange rind taste and lemon tartness do qualify this as a wit. A bit artificial, as if a wit extract had been supplanted over Coors Light, but better than many American interpetations to this style. Simple, but not flawed.

The finish is hydrochloric, reminiscent of vomiting on a stomach full of water and, like the smell, a bit skunky. It'll go down easy enough, eventually washing out, but the burps are disgusting. Leaves me feeling kind of used.

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, Sep 02, 2003
3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

golden straw color. good head retention with a dense white head. cloudy, hazy appearance.

smell is sweet maybe a little like honey, and quite spicy, coriander being the most frontal aroma.

taste is sweet throughout, with a bit of zesty notes. perhaps a subtle spiciness is briefly discernible.

medium bodied. finishes soft, and not crisp but sweetly.

this beer is just to sweet. it also seems kind of two dimensional.
its just ok.

spitInTheOcean, Jul 16, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

I’ve had this beer before. I have had this beer many times before. But because it is on the list, I am sure I will like it even more! Not every beer on the list can be special… and today, after having been to Taste of Tops and Angel’s Trumpet Ale House, we needed a low ABV beer to sample. Oh, and we went to Brat Haus, too. The bartender served me a free glass of St. Bernardus Abt 12… so there’s that! We don’t have an orange for this one, so I hope it still turns out OK. But let’s get into a beer that we have all had, or at least heard of before.

In the Glass: I did a hard pour to see what kind of bubbles this beer could produce. Good job beer… lots of them! I did the same pour in Sheryl’s glass, but she said hers looked flat. Not sure what happened there. Anyway, the beer is a light golden color in the glass. I remember this beer being orange… maybe that is because you are supposed to fruit the glass with an orange wedge. No oranges here.

Nose: For a beer that is mass produced, I am immersed with the amount of aroma. There is a ton of citrus there, and it has a certain thinness to it… smells like a cheap, mass produced beer should. I taught a class the other night at Total Wine on beer, and I used Blue Moon as an example of a beer that people who think they know craft beer drink. If you drink this on a regular basis, that’s fine… but you are not a beer snob.

Flavor: That’s the smooth citrus flavor that I remember. There is almost too much citrus. It reminds me of a freshly squeezed glass of orange juice. I wonder why a beer with so much orange flavor is garnished with an orange. Oh well, it looks nice in a pint glass. The bottles calls this a Belgian White. It’s also a wheat beer… a Belgian-style wheat ale to be exact.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is boring. There isn’t much going on. It’s here and gone just as fast. A little bit of creaminess comes through in the bubbles, but not enough to pay attention to. The mouthfeel is decent at best.

Aftertaste: What aftertaste? What little aftertaste there is… you guessed it, oranges. The aftertaste is there, and wants to hang around. Then you swallow again, and it’s gone. But what can you expect from a beer like this.

The beer is decent. It’s a good place to start for someone that says, “What does craft beer taste like?” A seasoned drinker won’t order this unless there is nothing else on tap, or unless he or she is drunk and it doesn’t matter what they are drinking! There are a lot of flavors here, but the biggest and most obvious flavor is orange and orange peel. If you like oranges, then bottoms up!

Blue Moon – The bottle says: “A refreshing, unfiltered wheat ale brewed and spiced in the Belgian tradition for a uniquely complex taste and uncommonly smooth finish.

“Brewed with white wheat and oats, Blue Moon features a crisp wheat finish and the perfect combination of orange peel and coriander. Bring out Blue Moon’s natural spices by searing it in a Pilsner glass with an orange slice garnish.”

rickyleepotts, Oct 21, 2012
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pint from Good Time Charlie's in San Diego

Pour was a cloudy golden yellow color with a 1/2 inch silky head

Smell was a mix between light oranges and lemons

Taste is a nice mixture of wheat and citrus, but does not last long

Could drink a lot of these for how much alcohol it contains

Floydster, Sep 21, 2007
3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Pour is a hazy light gold with a tiny bit of head and not much lacing to speak of. The smell is mostly yeast with a hint of lemon. Taste is like the smell with the yeast dominating the flavor. The finish is a bit skunky to me, but not offensive. This one is very light on the tongue with crisp carbonation. This is a fairly drinkable brew, but the slightly off, skunky taste is enough to prevent me from having more than one in a sitting.

penguinjive7, Jan 12, 2009