Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

good

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured from a bottle into a Weizen glass.

A – Pours a cloudy straw yellow with a sparkly white head that disappears quickly, leaving tiny traces on the sides. Started with serious lacing, but vanished completely midway through the glass.

S – Smells of coriander, and a big fruity aroma, but with an odd “off” character. Smells a little…chemical? Synthetic? Definitely not a good note to have surface.

T – Big citrus esters, with hints of orange, lemon, banana, and apricot, but more of that cloying imitation fruit note detected in the nose is prevalent in the taste. Outside of that, decently balanced.

M – Is it possible for “slightly fizzy” carbonation to be a good thing? In this beer, it is. The carbonation compliments the taste and makes for an easy drink. Finishes clean. Refreshing.

O – Would be a lot better without the odd notes described above. It’s almost as if they flavor this with some sort of artificial fruit flavor. Not a bad beer though, and a good alternative to mass-produced AB adjunct lagers when in a restaurant or dive bar where no other craft beer options are available.

TempeBeerMan, Dec 09, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

Not bad. I would say this is the "new Guinness"- in a sense that the most people now a days make their jump out of Miller Light or Bud with this beer. Not sure if I'm a fan of the orange gimmic. A good Witbier shouldn't need a piece of fruit. I will admit though that the orange does increase the flavor of this beer. But what does that say about the beer then? This beer just kind of makes me shrug my shoulders and say "enh".

Bones54, Sep 28, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

Decent wit. I don't care for Hoegaarden, it doesn't seem wheat(y) enough for me for this style that is not my go to. I really like the breadiness and citrus notes of this beer, and it is a good fallback for when nothing else is available in a dive, for sure. The price is good too on a budget. Good thing for wits is that I am starting to see more of them, though it's certainly not my favorite style, not by a long shot.

Sendji, Nov 02, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

This beer poured an interesting dark yellow, and had a distinct sweet citric aroma. This beer has a mild citric taste which is nice, the problem is many bars will place an orange wedge on the glass which completely throws off the balance of the beer. Therefore, be warned, and ask for the beer straight out of the tap. On this occasion however, I bought a 22oz bottle which my wife and I shared which we both enjoyed. When I was in college I really liked this beer because it was flavorful without being overpowering and I could have several without feeling too full.

vegantreats, Aug 14, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

BB 30/06/2012, served chilled in a Hapkin’s stemmed bulb glass.

A: cloudy light orange in colour, coming with a fast dissipating white foamy head and light carbonation.
S: nice orangey aroma and faint traces of coriander seeds spring to mind, plus a touch of pear-y esters; wheat malts are not as pronounced as many Belgian counterparts, and neither is the spicy/herbal part.
T: sour-sweet wheat-ish malts and mixed tropical fruits are underlined by a liquidy-sugary sweetness upfront, followed by a lightly chewy palate of minerals and gritty malts, finishing lightly dry.
M&D: as the beer is approaching the BB date, I suppose the freshness, or the lack of it, plays a part in an overall mediocre performance. Spiciness and fruity undertones are both weak, making me feel that this perhaps can be classified as “American Wheat Ale” instead of the Belgian style Witbier? Well, classification is academic only, but I wouldn’t mind trying it again if it was fresher next time.

wl0307, May 14, 2012
3.06/5  rDev -10%

This beer may be spiced and all that jazz... too much hype for this craft brew. It's very flavorful but not in a great way. On top of that it's expensive. It's really not that good to the point where I would not recommend it. I certainly see no resemblance to wheat beer which is funny because it says on the bottle that it's unfiltered and Belgian style. Save yourself the trouble and get leff or hoegaarden.

mikethebeerguy, Sep 11, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

A 355ml bottle with a BB of Oct 2012. Picked up from a supermarket some time back. A US macro take on a Belgian wit.

Poured into a straight pint glass (with swirling to suspend the yeast). A translucent golden-amber colour; very hazy. Forms a large head of creamy white foam that hangs around for a while before disappearing. Aroma of fruity, spicy yeast; notes of orange, coriander, earthy yeast, clove and banana. Accompanied by undertones of wheat and grainy malt. A hint of sweetness.

Tastes fruity and yeasty, with wheat/malt and a dry finish. Notes of orange, coriander, earthy yeast, cloves, wheat and faint banana. Very dry and slightly sweet. No bitterness to speak of; a mild yeasty finish upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth, dry and very tingly, with effervescent carbonation. Decent body but overcarbonated. Quite astringent, with an aftertaste of fruit and yeast notes.

Hmmm - so so. Streaks ahead of other macro offerings in terms of character, but doesn't stand up to genuine Belgian wits. Looks OK, but the flavour and aroma are unbalanced - too much orange/spice relative to the malt and yeast. The sweetness doesn't improve things either. A decent if flawed effort - I'd have this again if there was nothing else going. However it's nothing special. No need to seek it out.

jazzyjeff13, Oct 18, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

As for Coors making a wit, this could be a lot worse. In Los Angeles, this can sometimes be the best beer available (and almost always served with a lemon wedge - dumb). At best it's refreshing and a poor man's Hoegaarden. At worst it tastes like Coors chemically made wit.

sloejams, Jun 09, 2007
3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Hazy cloudy appearance with litte head that disappears very quickly. Coriander and citrus taste with a slight peppercorn that comes in later. An ok beer for this style.

Reverand, Aug 21, 2002

12oz. bottle, chilled

Pours a cloudy, honey-orange color. Small white head that quickly dissipates. Has a pretty high level of carbonation, but looks flat and lifeless. Aroma is typical witbier, has wheat, orange peel and spice notes, not bad.

Taste is the same sweet citrus and wheat flavor, not very bitter. Mouthfeel is medium, a bit Decent, it's better than a macro lager but isn't very complex compared to the better Witbiers and Hefeweizens out there. Could be an intro to craft beer for BMC drinkers. I wouldn't buy it again since I can get beers I prefer, like Sam Adams', for the same price or less.

Sudsy89, Apr 01, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

pours cloudy yellowish orange with a 1/2 finger fizzy white head that left no lacing

smells good lots of orange wheat and spices

taste - i thought sunset wheat was the only beer to taste like fruity pebbles - guess not - very artificial flavors - orange and lemon

mouthfeel is light and crisp

drinkability is so so since i dont care for the taste

jsh420, Apr 29, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured into a glass. The head was decent, but died sort of quickly and was fizzy. The color is a cloudy orange, and is semi-attractive. The fizzy head reflects the mouthfeel, which is light, crisp, and active, with orange aromas and notes. The beer gives off a great smell of orange, which was its most remarkable characteristic, but seems too light and empty in almost all regards for me to recommend it. Compared to other European Wheat Ales it feels void of real density and the flavors seem forced and artificial. The sweetness is tasty, but I don't see myself being able to drink more than a couple of them. However, in the category of fruity, citrusy, sweet beers, this is the one I would choose.

PierceMyers, Jun 29, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

A - Pours a fluffy head which reduces to a molecular film, slightly cloudy orange hue

S - Wheatgrass is the most prevalent smell, otherwise slightly sweet

T - Creamy, citrus(y) wheat flavors up front with a stronger citrus cream aftertaste

M - Dry to start, hold it in your mouth for a bit then you begin to taste the beer before swallowing

D - If macros were the only thing available I'd probably drink more of this beer than the others

Try it with an orange.

umustdrink, Dec 30, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Got a glass of this ontap at a bar last night. I hadn't had this beer in a really long time before having it last night. There was a head for about 5 seconds after being drawn from the tap. It was my first time having this beer on tap. After that it had about zero head or lacing to speak of. I thought this to be quite odd indeed. I found the glass I had to be average at best in just about everyway. It also smelled and tasted sort of skunked. I was almost surprised I was able to finish the entire beer. Taste and smell wise it reminded me a bit of lemons or lemonade, which is not a bad thing. Funny because I never remember this beer being that bad any of the other times I have had it. It makes me want to get a bottle of this beer soon so can I see if I like the beer any better from the bottle. Besides the negative qualities listed above it had some nice fruity hints in both taste and smell as well as a bit of yeats or malt, a hint of wheat. The taste was also sort of bland and watery. No aromas or other hints of spice present, as is usually the case with witbiers. It had a somewhat crisp mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is ok. I'll have to try this one again, only out of the bottle next time before I truly make up my mind about how I feel about this beer.

Eric

neenerzig, Jul 26, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

A: Nice hazy light apple cider color with a consistant full finger head.

S: Lots of coriander, a bit of pepper, then the orange peel and other citrus aromas. Yeast is very apart, though not my favorite smelling yeast. Smells a little sharp.

T: I hate to say it, but from the first sip you can tell its a Coors product. There's a bit of citrus, but most of the spices are overpowered by the corn flavored malt. Actually right before you get that disappointing BMC finish there orange does pop up a bit.

M: Pretty high in carbonation makes it crisp and smooth. Does come across being slightly creamy.

D: My dad brought a case home today....he's already drank eight. There's certainly nothing to stop you from throwing these back, other than the fact that I'm halfway through this one and bored already.

Drazzamatazz, Jan 08, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

poured from a bottle into a dogfish head signature glass - 1 finger head lasting maybe a minute or two. hazy orange with a fairly fruity nose.

i suppose this is a belgian, but only because it says so on the label. its not that its a bad beer, its just not a great beer. best in the summer on a hot day, ice cold from a cooler, i'd guess.

robwestcott, Apr 20, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

A-pours a hazy dark golden orange color with a lot of big bubbles flowing through the beer. The head is off white in color, very bubbly and thin. Lots of carbonation at the top and no lace.

S-skunky yeast, corriander, orange peel, bitter lemon notes, phenolic.

T-the taste follows the nose, a skunky yeast, very phenolic, soft orange peel gives it a sweet layer. Hint of bitterness at the finish.

M-smooth and creamy, light body with a biting finish from too much carbonation

D-its kind of funky and seems to have some weird funky yeast flavor. It is smooth and creamy with a fair amount of citrus sweetness.

cpetrone84, Mar 02, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured into a goblet. Light in color even for the style, with a fizzy white head that recedes without leaving behind any lacing. Aroma is lemony and wheaty, with maybe a touch of spice. Pretty average. Tastes watered down, with the predictable citrus and grain. Seriously lacking the complexity that makes, say, St. Bernardus Witbier so great. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated and thin. High drinkability.

illidurit, Apr 12, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Blue Moon pours a cloudy golden yellow into a pint glass. There is very little head to speak of, at least in comparison to other Belgian whites I have had.

The aroma is light and mildly sweet. It smells like a Hefe Weizen with a lemon wedge already squeezed in it. A very mild clove aspect is present as well.

The first taste is definitely sweeter than I expect. However, if I had this in a blind taste test I'd instantly be able to recognize that it was a wheat beer: it's creamy and malty with a medium body. There is barely any recognizable hop characteristic, which is another surprise. It's not bad, but I don't think I could have more than one of these in a session.

I have to give Coors credit: they've made a decent brew here. If I wanted a Belgian white, I'd definitely look elsewhere. However, if I was forced to drink an American macro, this would probably be at the top of my list.

JimsArcade, Feb 14, 2004

ehhhh

had it on tap,

Looks like a budlight with body, pours with decent head

the smell is not bad, light and crisp

the taste is decent, didn't use the orange it was served with

mouthfeel is crisp, and light

its almost drinkable, light but not outstanding, absolutely nothing about this beer stands out.

ncbeermonger, Nov 06, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Blue Moon pours a orange-yellow color with a white head. Slightly hazy. The head fades rather quickly to a thin ring.

Aroma is citrusy, orange and lemon. Taste is slightly tart. Not extraordinary, not bad.

Mouthfeel is nice and full. Drinkability is serviceable. I could have a couple of these without trouble. This is a beer I generally buy due to its popularity with my friends - they love that I'll buy their favorite beer for them. What they may not realize is that it is lower cost than my favorite. ;-)

slyke, Jun 11, 2006

Leftovers.

Appearance - Sort of a dark straw color. Kind of cloudy. A very small head that gets lost fast.

Smell - A little sweet citrus, with some spice. Very mellow smell, but pleasant.

Taste - A little sweet citrus. With a little bit of spice. Sort of a nutty, ginger, medicine taste. Pretty mild, however. Diluted by a macro wateriness, and some thin bread.

Mouthfeel - Pretty nice. Fairly crisp with good carbonation.

Drinkability - Not too bad. It doesn't have enough going on to be objectionable. But, that sweetness builds up on you.

A totally mediocre bev. That said, one of the first "Belgian" style beers I ever had, so it was somewhat of a revelation at the time. I think it's great that this stuff exists, at least so that dumb high school kids can discover there's something other than Beast in this world.

callmescraps, Mar 06, 2009

22 ounce bottle into glass

A- Hazy amber color, 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, no lacing

S-Wheat and slight citrus

T- Carbonated well, tasting old. Wheat and coriander and citrus but all very dumbed down beyond the usual.

M- Thin with high carbonation

O- Pretty sure I got an old bottle. The tastes are all there but very weak. I know this is an OK beer usually but if this is how it always tasted, they would of never gone anywhere.

hoosiersapper27, Jul 04, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

A - Pours a medium gold in color and very cloudy. Head tops out at a quarter inch and is gone pretty quick. The remaining cap is thin and barely covers to top of the beer. Lacing was just below average.

S - There is just not much going on the aroma department. Starts out with some sweet malt aroma followed by alcohol. There is a little bit of spice in the middle with wheat rounding things out.

T - Peppery spices have a stronger showing in the flavor. Yeast and some sourdough bread flavors are apparent midway. The tail end is sweet with sugar and caramel. Hop flavors are present but really just appear to add bitterness and not much flavor.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation. Finish has some spicy notes which is nice.

D - Drinkability is average. The beer has a clean taste but remains a little too bland in most categories. The spicy flavors in the aftertaste really saved this one from being a less than average beer.

csmiley, Apr 27, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured cloudy, deep golden in color with a slightly spicy/lemony aroma. Taste is rather simple with moderate body, soft and creamy with a slightly wheat twang. goes down smooth and leaves a refreshing aftertaste that lingers. It was an easy got to beer for lunch today since I was out and my liver is demolished from a massive session of barleywine.

barleywinefiend, Aug 03, 2009