Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,532 | Hads: 6,197
4.4/5  rDev +28.3%

Holy cow, what a shocker this was. Picked it up just to review another beer and went back for more. Pours a cloudy honey gold with a froth head that became a monster. The smell is very citrusy, lemons honey with a hop tone. The taste is impressive, could really feel a balance of apricots, lemon and hops that grabbed hold of my taste buds and wouldn't let go. Feels warm and inviting in the mouth. This has become a staple in the fridge and who would have thought from Coors. (476 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +27.7%

I really love this beer. When I drink one of these I picture myself on the bayou eating some crawdads and corn on the cob on a calm summer night. Ok anyway. This is a good wheat beer. You can get it anytime too which makes this a winner. It comes with a nice white creamy head and had a golden cloudy color. It is nicely carbonated. It has a nice citrus aroma. The flavor is very refreshing with the flavors of the orange peel and coriander giving it a zest and a spicy like aftertaste. It is an easy refreshing drinker. (520 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance is a great cloudy almost opaque white, spice and wheat can be seen settling. Smell has hints of orange and lavender, topped with floral notes. Wheat lingers in the background. Taste is citrusy, mostly orange, with creamy and thick wheat settling on the tongue. Micro-bubbles coat the tongue in a very pleasant way. Leaves minimal malt on tongue, and really leaves just a creamy, rich wheaty-powdery taste. Really one of my favorite all around beers. One of the most well balanced, appetizing, and easy to drink and enjoy beers I have ever had. Exceptionally great in spring and summer, but good year round. A. (620 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +27.7%

I've had this beer out of a bottle and on tap, and like most beers, tap is definitely the better option, though it is certainly not bad out of the bottle.

The first time I had this beer a glass that was handed to me containing what I thought was a ridiculously orange looking Shiner Hefeweizen. Murky, orangish color.

As I took a sip the smell and then the taste of the beer hit me, and I was positive I'd discovered something infinitely better than a shiner hefe. Has a citrus oriented smell to it with something else.

Tastes brilliant. The balance between bitterness, sweetness, the fruitiness and the carbonation is spectacular. A tad bit of something resembling orange and something else in there, coming together beautifully.

Fairly drinkable. Not too heavy, not too light, wonderful when its warm out. Understandably, I'm probably incredibly biased because I love this style of beer. (893 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle.

Pours a nice cloudy orange color. Very nice head which has good retention, with some nice lacing. Aroma is of wheat with some orange spice and other spice aromas, not sure if it's the coriander or something else. Has some yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottle, which I like.

Taste is excellent. Nice and crisp and very refreshing with an ok balance between the wheat, orange and coriander flavors. The flavor that came out the most is the coriander, but it's not overwhelming. The orange and wheat is still there, just not as strong. This one has good mouthfeel too. Crisp and clean with moderate carbonation.

Overall a very nice one. Very refreshing and great for summer. Also surprised this is a Coors product. (754 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Great wheat style beer. Mouthfeel is on the thicker side. Has typical cloudy golden look for the style. Good balance between hops malt and wheat. Hard to drink only one (168 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I always tell the barmaid/bartender to hold the orange and it's good without it. I like it best from the bottle because I've had some funky tasting draft beers. Blue Moon is my current favorite house beer that I keep for friends and I like it as a regular beer and I usually drink it with dinner as it compliments a lot of the foods I like to eat and isn't overpowering or bitter like some IPAs I've had. It's an all-around good beer and it's head and shoulders over a lot of others I've tried. It's got a nice bit of spice, I like the flavor and I like the cloudy wheat beers that I grew accustomed to in Germany. (614 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +26.8%

I read quite a bit about the Blue Moon from BA and was a little curious as another beer of a similar style, Hoegaarden, is one of my session beers or somewhat my getaway beer from my strong tasting dark Belgian Ales and German Eisbocks. Thanks to Kevin who brought back a sixer minus one bottle of the blue moon for me from FL. The Blue Moon pours our a hazy golden, like the Hoegaarden with a 1 inch thick head that quickly reduces to a third of an inch. Smells a bit lemony and
citrusy with a unique floral fruitiness which I kind of like. Some spices including coriander as well as yeast is detected as well. Quite a nose there though the smell could have been stronger. The taste was mainly the floral fruitiness which was in fact practically tasting like a cake or
a pudding with citrus and spices going round as well. It leads to a slightly dry finish which is also where the wheat tastes starts coming in strong; very nice indeed. The body of this witbier is medium probably slightly thicker than the Hoegaarden and it is pretty creamy as well to suit the cake or pudding like taste. Carbonation was at a good level and smoothness on this one is nothing short of great; going down with a creamy smoothness with light tingling carbonation. Great mouthfeel! The after taste was fruity with pears and some apples and maybe grapes, citrusy and also significantly wheaty. On the whole, I can't really say I prefer this or the Hoegaarden; both have their own merits but I like Hoegaarden for the refreshing nature and strength admist lightness
and I like the Blue Moon for the unique bouquet of taste and a great mouthfeel. (1,626 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +26.8%

I first tried this beer on a break from skiing while in Breckenridge, CO. While I usually avoid macro brews, I have to honestly say that this is the best beer Coors has ever produced. While some may say that this beer is over spiced, I loved the orange/corainder taste of this unique brew. Considering other Belgian whites are 12 bucks a six pack, this is a nice alternative. (375 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +26.8%

A: poured 3 finger white head. Unfiltered straw to orange color.

S: citrus, orange, cream, malt.

T: delicious balance of creamy heavy mouthfeel wheat, corriander, orange and deliciousness. Easy to chug. Not drink. Chug. I know that's not the goal of this beer but it goes down too easy.

M: full and thick. Really exceptional.

O: Awesome, delicious, easy to drink. Only gripe reduce the amount of orange flavor a bit and price. Since this is a Coors product they should price it accordingly. Otherwise perfect. (514 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +26.8%

I was very impressed with this beer. It has a great taste and is easy to drink. Not too heavy and surely not lite - just right. Try it with an orange slice to add an even better taste. I will be buying this one again for sure. Coors got a winner here! (251 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer is good! I really do not care who makes it . The price is right is too! This would be good seesion beer. Can find anywhere in the US too.

Appearance: Yellow gold with onE finger head with a nice lacing.

Smells :Like citrus and orange .

Taste: Wheat, fruity yeast and orange. Finshes with nice grain / citrus.

Mouthful: Light, but not thin like water

Overall: This is a good beer! It has balance and refreshing which I look for in a beer. Whi cares if it is by Coors! (481 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +26.2%

It has a very cloudy appearance in the glass, but a nice yellow color. A very nice aroma, very citrusy -made more so by the orange slice that came with it. It is a very drinkable beer, much better than the majority of Coors products. All in all a very fine session beer, especially on a hot day in the shade. (308 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +25.9%

Poured from a brown bottle into a weizen glass. Has a brownish orange color with about an inch of head. There is some lacing to the glass. The smell is both sweet and spicy. The taste is most excellent. There is a slight sweetness to it with no bitterness. This is one of the more delicious American beers I have had. I will be buying Blue Moon again soon. (356 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Blue Moon's Belgian White is very, very good. I wasn't impressed at first with it's appearance out of the bottle - cloudy Belgian Whites normally do that to me. However, from that point forward I was happy with the experience. A very appealing wheat smell was followed up with a bold and refreshing tang to the taste buds. I have to say it's probably my favorite Blue Moon to date. (381 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +25.9%

Excellent wheat style beer. Very hazy look with orange tint. Smells very good and tastes very good. Probably not my favorite wheat beer but still very high on the list, and price is very reasonable compared to others. Easiest wheat beer to find for sure, many others are not available at most every store you go to. (315 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +25.9%

This was the first beer that I had that really got me interested in trying different beers. When first poured it pours a hazy orange with a mediocre head that dissipates slowly and has mild lacing. The first thing you notice is the citrus and spices brewed in the beer. Not to hoppy and leaves a clean finish after each sip. This was my beer of choice every Sunday last season when the saints played. (400 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +25.7%

I liked this one very much. It was one beer I can truly say that an air freshener should be made from the scent. The color was also very appealing to me, a cloudy yellow/amber. Very nice. Extremely smooth, with a very unique complexity unlike any other wheat I have had. I could drink many of these on a warm summer night. I let the yeast settle in the bottle, then swirled and dumped. The yeasty flavor in the glass gave it an excellent spiciness. An excellent brew!! (468 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L: Clear yellow, not filtered. Nice white foam head.
S: Smells very citrusy, I served with a slice of sour orange on the edge of the glass.
T: Citrus notes: orange and coriander, very refreshing and easy to drink beer.
F: Medium body, medium carbonation.
O: I really like this witbier in the summer, always with the orange slice. (331 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass.

APPEARANCE: cloudy, orange hue with initial one finger head that dissipated quickly, there was small amount of lacing on the glass, medium carbonation.

SMELL: sweet orange citrus, flowery, bread, coriander, not overpowering.

TASTE: sweet citrus, spice and bread, not overpowering, hops are not prominent in this beer, very drinkable.

PALATE: creamy with medium carbonation.

OVERALL: Blue Moon is the beer that got me interested in domestic craft beer and all the other Belgian beer styles that I love. I consider this the best Belgian White on the market. I know this is made by Miller-Coors but I don't care. Good beer is where you find it. This is the only mass produced beer I buy on a regular basis. (764 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +25.7%

A- A mix of gold and orange with haze. What little head was there disappeared before I could take my first sip.

S- Citric and sweet. A bold fruity smell that was awakening.

T- Starts sweet and finishes sweet, with wheat and mild hops, crisp and a relatively clean finish aside from the orange notes.

M- A very health dose of carbonation with no lack of flavor. Again...Very sweet, for lack of a better phrase, it is like a candy beer.

O- This is in my beer hall of fame and is one of my go-to beers. Very great drinkability with an amazing body. It's almost too sweet, but for a witbier it's astoundingly good. (614 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +25.4%

First time I had it, I really thought it was Belgian beer, only to find out it is Coors. Be that as it may, I find this beer has nothing in common with that useless waste of brewing. This beer is good, if not very good. I started having these just as starters (you know good beer first). As I had more of these I found that I can have these all night long and enjoy them with every sip; first or last. No extremely filled up feeling after several that you would get with a traditional European wheat.

It looks good in the glass and I find this beer very drinkable and if it is on tap, I will definitly get one.

Many people/bartenders serve the beer with an orange slice. Hold up your hand and declare: "no fruit!". Forget the fruit, unless you are into that kind of thing. Eeeww-yuch. Good beer does not need fruit and such things floating around in it. Just a good head in a nice glass and some great friends make this a very good beer. (943 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +25.4%

This is the beer I drink at the ball park. It pours with a rich, foamy head that fades away leaving just a trace of foam around the glass. I find that the malt overpowers the hops with a slight spicy nose. The mouth feel is good, full bodied and fruity, with rich flavors, just slightly spicy. It is always served with a wedge of orange, which is ok, but unnecessary. I don't need fruit in my beer, and this beer can stand on its own. It is not like Corona where you need some help to make it palatable. (503 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +25.4%

I bought this in a 8-pack Mircobrewery variety pack from Woodman's in Janesville, WI for $12 in late 2010.

Pours a cloudy light amber color with a good scent of citrus and wheat. It continues with a great full flavor of wheat and citrus flavors drinking rather smooth. A beer that pairs well with most food and is on of my favorites.

I'll be the first to admit I have this over-rated, but when I first started trying beers this was the first beer I really enjoyed and I still do today! (487 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +25.4%

I grabbed a couple bottles of this beer at my local bodega when I was craving a cold brew. Having not had Blue Moon Belgian White in a while I sorta forgot what is tastes like. However, from the pouring of it into my Hard Rock cafe Los Angeles glass to the first few sips, I was very impressed.

Appearance: Foggy golden orange color with a nice 3/4 inch head that slowly dissipated after the first few sips. Not too much lacing though.

Smell: All the necessary ingredients for a Belgian witbier i.e. yeast, orange peal, coriander, wheat malt, and a bit of phenols.

Taste: Deliciously sweet. Mildly yeasty, orange peal and coriander were nicely pronounced. I also detected a slight tartness which I don't know if I liked.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkabilityl: light and smooth

Overall: Not the best North American interpretation of a belgain wit but definately one I could more than one of in a sitting. (895 characters)

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company