Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,556 | Hads: 6,358
2.5/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle, best before March 12 06 printed on the bottle neck. <br>
Hazy golden in color, small fizzy head.<br>
aroma is wheat, corn, some corriander, maybe some clove, a little sourness.
Flavor was creamy wheat with some corriander spice thrown in.<br>
Not terrible, I could see myself drinking this again, just not paying for it.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

Blue Moon Belgian White is much of what one might expect of a witbier. It has a hazy, yellow color to it and pours a small head which hurriedly fades away leaving almost no lace at all. The smell is very robust with sharp scents of citrus, more specifically orange. It has a hint of white pepper in the nose

Tastes very well balanced and finished almost creamy or buttery. Watch out though, it seems to have a bit of spiciness to it which can get old after a few. Citrusy.

I suggest that you try it first with nothing, then with a slice of orange or lemon. I know, I know. Scores of people think that it is a sin to put fruit in beer, but hey, ya' never know. Try it.

2.39/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Yellowish orange in color and cloudy of course. The best this beer had to offer was it's smell, which was very strong and full. I noticed right away, though, that it was overpoweringly orangey. I was almost taken aback by the flavor, as I could almost forget I was drinking beer with the over-intense orange flavor. The bar tender asked if I wanted a slice of orange with the pint, which I'm very glad I declined, as the LAST thing this beer needs is more orange flavor. Needless to say it got old fast.

The makers of this brew were able to pack a lot of flavor in there, too bad (in my opinion) it was all way too much orange and not enough complexity.

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a hazy yellow with a mini head.
Smell was very much of citrus like orange scents. Taste is citrus as well mostly orange in flavor. Some spice in there as well not as much as Id like to see but it was good none the less. Nice amount of carbonation and balance. A well put together afforadable beer.

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

A - A cloudy yellow.

S - Strong Citrus notes here. More orange than lemon.

T - A strong ctrus taste here. I have tried drinking this with a couple of slices of orange in it at first and although it adds to the beer, I later found that this beer is tasty all by itself. This is a very good cross over beer in the tradition of Killians and New Castle.

Mouthfeel: Light on the palate and it goes down very well.

Drinkability: Yes

3.57/5  rDev +5%

On-tap @ Mulligan's in Cedar Falls, Iowa.

Hazy golden color. Aroma & taste are all subtle..but has soft citrus & mild spicy qualities. Bready malt qualities and not a ton of hop character, but still tastes good. A solid fallback beer, as it's made by one of the big 3. Quite drinkable and something you can get at many bars when they only offer BMC.

3.66/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Blue moon is a very affordable and readily available wheat beer, which I find to be a rare combination. In the glass it fades from the side to bright gold, to a murky orange in the middle. It’s a nice effect in a pint glass. Smells like bubblegum and oranges with a little wheat. The taste has a little currant and citrus in it but there’s some sour corn there as well. The body is thin, but with a complimentary creaminess with the carbonation. you get an all right taste for an all right price here.

For what it is- available, cheap, and decent tasting- I love it. Have it with a slice of orange, and you can't go wrong. Your friends will be intrigued that you are drinking it, and you will be glad that you found a decent tasting beer among the BCM at the local bar!

3.72/5  rDev +9.4%

It’s unfortunate so many BA’s feel the need to negatively review this enjoyable beer just because it’s made by the giant Coors Brewing Company. Read the reviews of some of the more veteran reviewers here. Then try it for yourself. Form your own opinion.

Appearance – Pours cloudy pale yellow-orange with small bubbles reminiscent of a Belgian. Not much retention or lacing on this one.

Smell – There are definite light-citrus scents and some spice aromas.

Taste – A very yeasty mouthful, though without the complexity of beers with as much yeast in suspension. Citrus and coriander abounds.

Mouthfeel – The body is light and crisp and the long finish is dry.

Drinkability – This is a drinkable, enjoyable beer that is overly criticized by beer snobs, but enjoyed by those drinking and not overthinking their beers.

3.62/5  rDev +6.5%

Blue Moon Belgian White pours a cloudy pale orange from it’s 12oz dark brown glass bottle with a twistoff cap. Head of white foam went to exactly two fingers before going down to a thin broken ring and a spotty surface with minimal lacing.

Nose is a spicy coriander with a malty sweetness. Palate is a rock solid coriander, tart wheat, a bit of orange peal and then the bight of carbonation.

I find that Blue Moon “Belgian White” is a crisp, clean example of style, lacking only in the subtle rustic neuonces of a true “Belgian Witbier”

3.39/5  rDev -0.3%

This is a decent beer. I did not know it was made by Coors until right now. Quite surprising based on some of their other offerings (the Silver Bullet (which is what I would like to be shot with instead of drinking that) and Banquet Beer).

Dispersed into my trusty travel pint glass. It is plastic but it serves its purpose. A very nice size head settled on top, about two fingers worth. No lacing but the head stays with the beer all the way to the end. Cloudy with a pumpkin color.

Definitley smells of yeast but I dont really detect any citrus. A bit of cloves but nothing impressive overall.

Taste is a bit more forthcoming. Quite citrusy. Very nice and refreshing. Very lemony. Not much in the way of hops. Also yeasty as well. I would never know this was a macro.

Crisp and clean finish. This would be great for a tailgating party on hot summer days. I think most people would find this a good medium for beer geeks and macro geeks.

4.55/5  rDev +33.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

The head on this beer is decent, not too much, not too little. This beer's cloudy appearance that gives this beer character but can be intimidating the the drinker until he puts it up to his face. The first thing that gets the drinker is the smell, it is unique and you can somewhat smell the orange peel. Don't let the weak smell fool you though. This beer has a powerful and very smooth and flavorful taste that goes down solid and lets you remember how good it really is. The drinkabilty is good and, from what I hear, a slice of orange makes this beer unforgetable. Give it shot, you won't regret it.

2.72/5  rDev -20%

I have previously drank Blue Moon Belgian White before writing this review, however it has always been straight out of the bottle. I was surprised to find that when I poured this beer into a glass its appearance was almost revloting. The beer has very little head and is extremely cloudy, the color of it reminds me of pineapple juice or even wood (As I sit with it here on my desk the color resemblence is striking.).

It has a citrius/sweet smell to it that is familiar yet I can't put a finger on what it reminds me of.

The taste of this beer is very interesting. At first I didn't know what to make of the taste. After thinking about it for a while I discovered that this beer reminded me of fruit loops.To me that is exactly what it tastes like. The carbonation in this beer is just about right, not overwhelming but not flat either. It goes down smoothly and is easy to drink. As to drinkability, I like the stuff but I don't think that I could drink too much of it. After a while the taste of fruit loops would just be too much.

3.14/5  rDev -7.6%

This is my roomates favorite, and so I figured I might as well give it the rundown. In my mind it is a very americanized belgian-style pale wheat ale. not exactly a true Witbier. A good one when nothing better is available, or if you have to share with somebody whos not big into craft brews. I'm actually a little suprised by how the beer hed up to a rating.

Hazy pale straw with a cap of white active head that retains well in a pint glass (not so well in a chalice) as a thin film. Looks pretty belgian-style. Buttery bread adn yeast with a hint of fruit and spcie in the nose.

More buttery bready and yeast, and maybe coconut? More subdued in tase than smell with some spicy fruitiness that is kind of watery and not sweet but not dry. Mor complex than I expected, but still "safe" and subtle. Light body, to the point of almost being watery, and active but no foaming carbonation.

Very drinkable, as it is safe enough to appeal to the masses. I won't mind drinking these in the future, although it will likely be a last resort beer when there is nothing better to hvae. It won't satisfy a craving for belgian0-style beer either.

3.13/5  rDev -7.9%

This is a strange sort of beer as it is billed as a Belgian Wit but tastes nothing like one. The yeast is definitely not noticeable so it can't be the traditional Belgian trappist yeast that is used in other Belgian Wits like Hoegaarden and soforth. I think the only way Blue Moon can be considered Belgian is in the spicing, which is quite good. I really don't like the funky tasting trappist yeast anyway, so this beer really caters to my unique tastes. The color is an attractive orange that is very cloudy due to the wheat and excess yeast. I have actually had a craving for this brew upon holding it up to the light and seeing the baeutiful way it glows. It may be important to note that this beer DOES NOT go well with pizza.

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

The cult classic (with some) and still pretty good when I can find it these days. It seems to be getting out there more in my area.

Pours a cloudy orangish brown with some head and lacing but not too much. Points for going against the grain and not filtering it. Smells light and fruity, mostly citrus, with a little hint of spice.

This tastes pretty citrusy and fairly smooth. It isn't strong in the spice area, at all but does retain some wheat essence. Smooth and goes down easy. Surprisingly good, especially on a warm day.

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy pale straw color with about a half-inch head of thick creamy bubbles. The head retention is pretty good.

Aroma: It smells sweet and refreshing and reminds me of lemon cookies. There are some biscuity malts in here.

Taste: Refreshing and clean with a really light mouthfeel. There is lots of lemon in this one, and the flavor also reminds me of cookies. There are some biscuity malts, and the finish is dry and leaves you with an impression of wheat.

Opinion: I am surprised that this came out of the facility of a macro brew! There is actually some flavor in this one. It is light and a bit too one dimensional for my taste, but it could easily be a crowd pleaser. It's not one I would seek out, but I would sure as hell take it over anything else I have tried from Coors so far.

3.09/5  rDev -9.1%

I really enjoyed this the first time I had it DC9, but with several additional tastings under my belt, I can firmly say my first impression was a bad one. It pours a cloudy off-white color with minimal head. Slight buttery smell seems interesting; that's what must have caught my attention the first few times. The taste is rather unfinished; that's the best I can describe it. It seems as if the beer hasn't aged properly or was stored incorrectly. A rather bland taste altogether with just subtle flavors; but not enjoyable really. After a sip or two, my mouth was exhausted. It's one of the few 'not so mass produced' beers at DC9 even though it's owned by Coors, so I'll probably have this again if I go there unless they get some beers on-tap. It's worth a taste now and again, but not too often.

3.37/5  rDev -0.9%

Served at about 40F from a 12 oz twist top bottle into a conic pint glass.

The color suprised me a bit - more orange than I expected. Head starts out tall and fluffy, but dies down quickly to nothing. No hint of lace, and I'm pretty sure I'm keeping beer-clean glasses.

Aroma is subdued, but nothing terrible. Really rather bland and hard to pick out anything particular.

Flavor is much better than the lackluster aroma implied. The orange/coriander is there, with perhaps some extra citrusy fruitiness. Finish is black pepper, finally finished up with a little too much malt sweetness.

Not an awful beer, but not something I will go out of my way to get again. It did match very well with a sweet ginger chicken dish we had for supper tonight.

3.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I had tried Blue Moon on tap and finally found it in the bottle. Happily, I can report that the bottled version this above-average wheat beer it is virtually identical. Pours a dusky translucent gold color with a huge fluffy head which unfortunately fades fairly quickly to nothing. Citrus/grapefruit nose typical of most witbiers I’ve sampled. The first thing that strikes you upon drinking is the almost annoyingly bubbly mouth. However, that quickly fades to solid witbier flavor: predominantly citrus (I call it grapefruit) and wheat, so sweet as to be almost cloying. Drinkability is good, though perhaps too bubbly. Slightly bitter finish. Overall, this is a decent wheat beer; I’d say slightly above average. Yes, this beer is made by Coors, but don’t let that stop you from trying it.

2.92/5  rDev -14.1%

At first pour I was initially impressed with the look, it had a one inch head when poured from the bottle and set up nice in my pint glass. The color was deeper than expected as well with its deep golden cloudy nature. That all ended inside of a minute as the head completely disappeared with no sign of lacing at all. Almost seemed as if it never reached carbonation.

Smell and taste were spicey as I expected with a hint of corriander.

Mouthfeel was rather unimpressive and bland, maybe the lack of carbonation had something to do with it. The beer was a bit flabby. I even tried a second one in a new clean glass because I thought maybe my glassware had compromised the beer. No luck.

Drinkability is limited subject, I only drank the two because of my previous comment. In my opinion half of this one would have been enough.

3.01/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a bottle and looked pretty good. Very cloudy with a nice copper/amber color. Bright is a good word to describe it. Good white head that lasts.

Smell is of coriander and orange... typical... a little off though...
Some hints of lemon and even a little woody... not much though.

Taste is pretty average. Some citrus and a lot of what doesn't taste real. Again, not bad... just lacking something.

This beer doesn't have a character. It seems to mean well, but can't fit in with others of its kind.

If someone handed me a Blue Moon... I'd drink it. If there were other choices of this style and I was in the mood... I wouldn't purchase it. Thanks.

3.4/5  rDev 0%

Pours with a three-finger white head that fades quickly leaving no lace. Light cloudy amber color with some yeast left in the bottle. Light bodied and light carbonation. Nose is wheat. Starts with some sweetness, some cloves and a clean finish. Nice. $5.74 for a 6-pack of 12oz from Super Walmart Concord, NH. Label has it brewed by Blue Moon Brewing Co.

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

Nicely cloudy, dark gold, topped with a half-finger off-white head that completely disappears almost instantly. Spicey wheat dominates the nose, slight citrus as well. Gentle carbonation up front, medium body, sweet citrus and yeasty flavors with a bit of coriander . Smooth going down, though finishes with a slight fruit acridity. Not a true Belgian wheat, but not bad either, a middle-of-the-road offering.

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Ok, so this beer is brewed by one of the "Big Boys", but hey, at least Coors has stepped it up a little and tried something different, for them at least. Judge this beer against true belgian wit beers and it fails miserably, but judged on its own, it's not a bad beer. Pours a light golden caramel color and nice and cloudy like a wit should be. Head tends to fall rather rapidly. Aroma is nice and spicy with a hint of coriander and citrus, but very faint. Flavor is solid. It has most of the components that a wit beer should have, but just not of it. This beer was definately created to appeal to the masses who are looking for something a little different but not too far out of their norm. It's a very drinkable beer, easy to find yourself comsuming pint after pint especially in a bar where this is the farthest from the "standards" that you will come. My hope for this beer is that someone will drink it and be interested enough by its slightly different taste to break out of their MGD induced trance and start on the road to true beer enlightenment.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company