2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,336 | Reviews: 1,411 | Show All Ratings:
cratez

Ontario (Canada)

Wow. Where to start in my panning of this beer. I guess in a sentence I would say that this is 1) not a witbier in any sense of the word, and 2) tastes so bad that it's offensive and insulting. There is zero taste, zero spiciness, and no trace of "coriander and orange peel" whatsoever. Instead, I get a salty gulp of swill with a greasy, slick mouthfeel. Couldn't even finish the beer! Awful. If I could give this 0.5 out of 5.0, I would.

11-24-2008 21:36:57 | More by cratez
buxwheat

Georgia

1.13/5  rDev -66.8%

Can't remember the details since this was not memorable in a favorable way. What does stick in my head was that it smelled like cheap perfume, and tasted like I would imagine cheap perfume would taste. I do recall that I could not / would not finish the one bottle I tried, something that I have never had the displeasure of experiencing with any other beer. The remainder of the six pack my sister purchased is still in my parents' fridge, and there it will remain until they pour it out on the parched turf here in GA, where there is a watering restriction. I figure the grass will drink anything about now.

06-19-2006 22:31:56 | More by buxwheat
corpulent

Nevada

1.2/5  rDev -64.7%

Last beer in the fridge at bro's place. Even he won't drink it.

Pours a hazy yellow. Thinnest of frothy heads perches on top, as if it wants to escape.
Very chemical, astringent smell is disconcerting. Wee bit lemony, a la Pine Sol.
Taste is underwhelming. Blechy bitter finish. Terrible aftertaste.

If you want a quote unquote "witbier," there are infinitely better examples.

03-25-2010 17:45:13 | More by corpulent
kenito799

1.27/5  rDev -62.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsener glass. No freshness date, but label says it was brewed in Toronto, copyright 2007. Stored in the dark confines of 12-pack (11 more of these? YIKES)

Not the first time I have had this beer by any means. Coors has so successfully saturated the market that it is the only "witbier" style beer to be found in many a bar across the land, served with a ubiquitous slice of orange. These bars mean well, I just wish they could realize how misguided is the choice to serve this stuff. I feel the need to get this review on record. A friend who thinks he likes it bought some and popped one. Luckily, he also bought some Hoegaarden to compare and he is learning.

The straw-amber brew is mildly hazy and raises a tiny white head that recedes to nothing. Ah, that smell. Wretched. I don't know what they do to give it that grassy, unpleasant aroma. There are some lemons and I guess hints of coriander underneath, but maybe there is also good ole American macrolager skunk in there yearning to break free. It actually has some positive aspects to it so I will leave it with a "not impressed" since the good is more than cancelled by that awful stale grassiness.

On the palate the heinous promise of the nose is carried to another level entirely. A watery, thin, rancid mouthfeel carries a lemon-swampgrass taste, with a long acrid finish. Undrinkable. Make it stop.

Edit: Now that I read respected BA members' reviews that aren't as harsh as mine...I doubt they were wrong; I suspect that the mass production (in Canada?) of this product has led to a deterioration of quality. I stand by my review.

09-15-2007 03:15:50 | More by kenito799
DmanGTR

1.33/5  rDev -60.9%

Review from notes... this is from a while back but I had a Blue Moon recently and it is just as I remembered...

A - poured a hazy amber/yellow with a fluffy white head that disappears in a minute. Looks decent I guess. No citrus in mine.

S - something very strange here, orange peels, pale malts, yeast. Highly unbalanced with a small pinch of hops... ugh...

T - I could not take more than a few sips of this beer. I can do Hoegaarden, St. Bernardus Wit, etc... but this was just god-awful... someone blended some orange juice, baker's yeast, and Keystone Light and called it a Blue Moon...

M - Thin and watery. Highly carbonated.

D - This was a drain pour (again). I've had this from the bottle three times and each time it was a pour.

Overall - I found this to be a horrible attempt at a Belgian Wit beer. If you want a representative of the style, Try Ommegang Witte, St. Bernardus Witbier, or even Hoegaarden. I was extremely disappointed in this beer and wasn't surprised to find that it is made by a macro. Effin wankers.

12-27-2008 16:52:04 | More by DmanGTR
PartyBear

United Kingdom (England)

1.5/5  rDev -55.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Cloudy straw colour with a big white head. Heavily carbonated.

Aroma: Grainy wheat aromas. Subtle orange, with a citrus twist of lemon.

Taste: Unusual taste. There is a creamy maltiness, in which the oats used in the mix are noticeable. I swear I can taste slightly off milk in there. Really not impressed with the flavours at all.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, fizzy, and not right.

Drinkability: Do not try this, one of the worst things I have tasted for a long time, if not, ever. It doesn't taste like beer. Couldn't actually finish it!

08-28-2009 19:50:12 | More by PartyBear
bonapartist1

1.53/5  rDev -55%

Very bad for any given beer, and absolutely vile given witbeers are a favorite of mine that I got to when I want a low ABV beer with big character.

Has an unshakable macro-lager taste to it with every goddamn sip. I knew I hated this beer years ago, but I bought a single recently to reassure myself I wasn't being a prick when I shat all over Blue Moon in conversation. Yeah, I wasn't. This is worst witbeer I've ever had in my life. This is produced by a massive soulless corporation, and it shows. Ug. If I wasn't splitting with a friend half would of hit the drain.

Of course, Hoegarrden is now owned by Inbev-Anhauser Busch, so same goes for them - at least their beer is good to quite good despite their altering the original recipe.

09-20-2010 08:00:38 | More by bonapartist1
Olebiker

1.55/5  rDev -54.4%

I started to review Blue Moon after the first time I tried it at a Smokey Bones barbecue restaurant, but I was convinced that I must have just gotten a glass from a bad batch. After trying it a second time I can understand why it is often served with a slice of orange in it. They have to do something to cover up the taste.

Blue Moon looked promising in the glass, but looks are deceiving. It lacked body, even for a witbier. There are much better wheat beers out there.

03-16-2007 16:49:38 | More by Olebiker
BrewMaster

1.58/5  rDev -53.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I was thoroughly unimpressed by this beer. I had it on tap at Angelino's in a suburb of Chicago. It was served by the bartender with an orange slice which I promptly removed. And until I came to BA today to write my review I had no idea it was a Coors product.

The flavor is disappointing for Witbier. It tastes very citrusy in a fake way. Very unrefined flavor. Distinct flavors, if there are any to be had, are covered up by a slightly skunky taste followed by a blast of citrus. The mouthfeel is pretty thin. The best thing going for this beer is the appearance. It looks great in the glass but otherwise, I recommend you stay away from it.

After I had reluctantly finished the entire glass the bartender poured a second glass of the Blue Moon for me assuming I wanted another. I said "Thanks but not thanks" and moved on to another beer.

08-04-2004 22:13:07 | More by BrewMaster
tfrench8985

Connecticut

1.58/5  rDev -53.5%

i really didnt think i would like this beer since i first looked at it, pour it into a glass, it had a white body with a thin rice head wich tasted like bue moon didnt put any effort into there product, the smell didnt impress me either, this beer all around just wasnt up to par.

06-22-2008 15:58:55 | More by tfrench8985
seanyfo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

1.68/5  rDev -50.6%

Bottle served into stange glass, bought in Blackfriars bar in the Merchant city in glasgow.

A- 3 finger rocky carbonated head, orange cloudy hue, Head reduced quickly with minimal lacing.

S- Cloves and an overwhelming orange note.

T- Lots of orange in the beginning, a faint hint of spice. Faint bready malt in the finish although quick.

M- High carbonation, thin

D- Not refreshing really, all thin and void of complexity with an overwhelming orange syrupy sweet note, making this a pass!

03-05-2009 18:18:37 | More by seanyfo
wordhog61

1.7/5  rDev -50%

My son loves this beer, so I had one tonight and couldn't finish it, tastes awful if you ask me.

A-The head was thin and didn't last long.

S-It smells great when poured, like an orange.

T-From the time it entered my mouth until I swallowed I just did not like the taste, yuck.

M-Yuck.

D-This wasn't for me, sorry.

03-05-2009 00:47:13 | More by wordhog61
surlyseth

1.73/5  rDev -49.1%

A: Straw colored. Not so heady, but who cares.

S: Umm...is this a Bud light with a lemon twist?

T: Yuck. This is a macrobrew with some apparent unnatural doctoring.

M: Thin. Watery.

D: I wouldn't want to let this get anywhere close to warm. No thank you on a second one.

09-17-2007 03:32:55 | More by surlyseth
MsRif

1.73/5  rDev -49.1%

I've had this on-tap and bottled many times. Pours a hazy yellow with a medium white head. Of course, you must have that orange wedge! No lacing to speak of. Smells of citrus (probably from the orange) and light spices. Some wheat. Tastes like it smells. It's watery...with the high carbonation it almost tastes like seltzer water with alcohol added.

Light bodied and overall, watery. Drinkable because it is so crisp. It has gotten worse lately...used to be better, though still not great. Drinkable, but I wouldn't imbibe in it simply because my taste buds and liver would like to spend their efforts elsewhere.

10-30-2011 22:03:50 | More by MsRif
John

1.78/5  rDev -47.6%

I've had this beer before and from what I remembered it was not that good. Since seeing several favorable reviews I thought it merited another try. What I found was that it was actually worse than I remembered. I noticed some weird kind of vegetal smell, kind of like that bunch of parsley you forgot was in the bottom of the veggie drawer in the fridge, and now it's funky ass parsley soup. Sour veggie taste too. Yuk. I promptly dumped this crap into the drain.

08-08-2002 12:50:40 | More by John
sleazo

1.78/5  rDev -47.6%

left over from my friends moving me in

A-Cloudy golden with a very fluffy white head. Great head, great lacing. good looking beer.

S-Orange zest domintes the nose. It actually smells like frozen concentrated orange juice. I do not get anything else besides that it is so strong.

T_Orange dominates, then some coriander, then some more orange. A tad of bitterness, but it is the bitterness of an orange peel. Nothing else is noticeable to me besides the strong orange and coriander.

M-Watery and mildly carbonated.

D-Blech. I tried to give this a chance, I really did. This is a terrible wit. The other three left over from the six will sit in my firdge until someone else comes over. This is like watered down sunkist with a ateaspoon of coriander put in.

06-07-2007 04:43:27 | More by sleazo
dacz76

Missouri

1.78/5  rDev -47.6%

Taste is overpowered with spices. I can't taste hops or beer. It taste like chicken broth and kitchen spices. Horrible beer. Head is alright and appearance is good, but the taste and drinkability is horrible. Smells similar to the taste... bad. Would not recommend to drink at any time or any season.

12-12-2008 08:36:41 | More by dacz76
NotMyRealName

1.78/5  rDev -47.6%

Belgian beer is my favorite type of beer, so I thought I would give this a try. The taste didn't remind me at all of any of the qualities I normally like in Belgian beer. It instead has that generic taste of a corporate macro beer. It's possible that this beer might be tolerable in a shandy, but it's just a little bit too bland for me to enjoy on its own.

08-11-2011 23:47:18 | More by NotMyRealName
scottum

Vermont

1.8/5  rDev -47.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

No sir, I don't like it. I tried a bottle before knowing it was a Coors product or that would have scared me off. It is much lighter than beers that I normally consume. Perhaps this disqualifies my review because I lack the experience, but this is the type of beer that I started to move away from when I became more interested in beer. Better than standard macroswill, but not much.

01-25-2003 09:01:55 | More by scottum
beertunes

Washington

1.83/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a cloudy yellow color (hello, Coors? this a White ale.) with a thin white head that had decent retention and lacing.

The aroma was very bland and subdued, nothing stood out. The taste had none of the expected Wit flavors and despite a certain tanginess, the flavor was very bland.

The mouthfeel was below average, very little if any joy. The beer was very drinkable in the sense that it slid down the throat without any effort, but it was undrinkable in the sense that there was no enjoyment to be had with this beer. Avoid.

02-21-2010 00:50:15 | More by beertunes
Gmann

1.85/5  rDev -45.6%

Pours a bright orange color with white highlights, a small pure white head that settles into a ring. The aroma is tough. To me it smells like rotting vegetables with a blast of coriander and orange peel to cover the stench. I dunno it has a creamy funk aroma which I can't explain in words. This is the brew that turned me off to wit beers. The taste is a bit better but still stinks. Creamy orange peel with coriander and heavy white pepper. No malt or real yeast flavors, just a jumble of forced spices. This tastes like a beer that spoiled, should have an expiration date like that of milk. The feel is light but not watery, fairly soft carbonation; finishes sweet and grossly spicy. I hate to bash a brew but this thing has almost everything I hate. This has never tasted right to me, in the top two of just foul brews. This has literally ruined wit biers for me.

01-17-2009 07:50:01 | More by Gmann
CaptJackHarkness

1.85/5  rDev -45.6%

From twelve ounce bottle, freshness dated March 26 12.

Pours a cloudy orange/yellow with a thin non-lasting white head. No lacing whatsoever. Aroma is of citrus and damp hay. Taste is vile, drain pour coming up! Too much bitter citrus spice! I have had this on tap once before, and said never again. I gave it another try, bottled this time. It is even worse!

01-07-2012 23:33:43 | More by CaptJackHarkness
madvermin

1.93/5  rDev -43.2%

Poured a very murky golden, with some fizzy head that, while voluminous, was gone soda-pop quick. Murky dark center looks like pulpy apple juice or something, plus some added bubbles rising to the surface.

Wheat and a tiny bit of orange candy in the nose.

Taste follows, with a decent amount of orange in the beginning to go with a wheaty malt taste. However, after these two specific flavors show up, everything fades quickly into a watery mess. Coriander pops up once or twice, but is so faint it may as well have never been there. Finish is decently oaty.

Mouthfeel isn't entirely bad, as it has a decent creamy texture initially, but that watery feel and taste just kills any buzz the beer had created previously. Drinkability was ok for a bit, but then quickly spiraled into a disaster. Nasty semi-yeast taste, combined with watery malt is just yucky in the aftertaste. I think the "belgian yeast" is hitting near the end, instead of spicing it up near the beginning, which is weird tasting in this case, as it accompanies water and nothing else. The orange also fades much too quickly considering it doesn't have much back up. Solid offering from Coors, but judged by craft, this one falls short.

02-13-2011 22:03:03 | More by madvermin
RobeerCop

1.94/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

This is my first posting ever. I am new to rating beers, but have tried many, many beers of many varieties. Without knowing the finesse needed to accurately describe a beer, I want to give this a whirl.

Appearance: Somewhat golden and hazy, but not quite like other full-fledged witbiers (I just betrayed the fact that I think this is less than what it calls itself). The appearance is actually what makes this beer appealing as to the untrained eye it looks somewhat hazier than the average mass manufactured beer.

Smell: Sour, fruity, and something else I couldn't identify at first (please see taste)...

Taste: Dull Sour, barel wheaty, the orange peel they claim to put in doesn't shine through quite clearly. There is something else in this I tasted at first that really, really drew me away.... corainder. Corainder is essentially cilantro (from the same plant). In an attempt to be sophisticated, this was added. Please remove the corainder.

Mouthfeel: I'm still trying to get over the taste.

Overall: This beer is trying desperately to be something it is not. The fancy smancy spiciness is just killing its ability to be considered drinkable. Underneath my gag reflex I was able to sense that this is indeed a wheaty beer looking for respect. I would drink this regularly if not for the added spiciness.

07-28-2013 18:52:23 | More by RobeerCop
ThaSmokinGun

Georgia

1.95/5  rDev -42.6%

This review is a review of the Molson-brewed version of Blue Moon. Shortly after Coors and Molson merged, they stopped brewing this beer in Memphis, Tennessee, changed the recipe, and started brewing it in Canada at a Molson brewery. Since then:

-Less wheat is used. The head is not as foamy and not as pure white. Color of the beer is darker than it used to be. It is also less hazy.

-The wrong yeast is used. It now tastes like Hefeweizen yeast.

-A different mix of hops is used. The finish, in particular, is different. It is sharper than it used to be. The finish reminds me of pilsener hopping.

-Less coriander and orange flavor are present. There is a difference between old beer where the flavor and smell have faded and beer where less is used. You can barely taste and smell the orange peel and coriander.

-Mouthfeel is entirely different. This new recipe seems more acidic than the old one, and more thin.

The new, Molson-brewed version of this beer is more like Erdinger Schnee-Weisse (a spiced winter Hefeweizen) than a Belgian Witbier. Bear in mind that it is with great sadness that I write this poor review, because the previous recipe of Blue Moon was my favorite American beer. I ranked the old recipe as second only to Hoegaarden Witbier, and even above some other Belgian Witbiers, like Brugges. Unfortunately, the new Molson-brewed Blue Moon is not a Witbier at all.

Perhaps Sam Adams will fix their Witbier recipe and put it in regular distribution?

07-20-2006 08:32:57 | More by ThaSmokinGun